Originally Posted by whiteboy714
That seems like a lot of money spent and time to keep these things working. I first had an HDhomerun and while it had its issues. It was always connected and authorized. I hate that I can't reboot my htpc, or even sleep it anymore or it will either lose the ceton altogether or lose authorization.
I've been through 100 things with ceton sup[port and multiple cable cards with TW. Seems the best option is to leave the pc on 24/7 and that itself isn't 100% fool proof.
Me too.. I feel your pain brother! I have a Ceton USB 4881 HW version. I've been working with Ceton Support for the last three months. Never realized how much there is to know about cable TV. With Ceton supports help, its getting better, but its not perfect. And thats ok with me. Perfect is over rated. I can deal with a bit of trickery / band-aids as long as they work well. Here are some of the issues I've ran into and some actions that have helped to stabilize the HTPC to acceptable levels of performance. (at least by me and the family)
1. Macroblocking issue:
I've got it. Ceton is aware of it. No info on root cause or resolution. Not a showstopper.. but its annoying.
(wonder if the Q is gonna suffer from this issue?)
2. 29/59 bug.
Yep, Seen it on IFC chan. If I turn off all ATI Video enhancements it goes away. (so much for using card features.. eh)
I don't subscribe to premuim chans so I can't comment on those.
3. Tuner dropouts / Tuner Unavailable / Subscription errors
- upgraded to Ceton fw 220.127.116.11
- apply Windows USB hoxfix KB2683549
- Turn on Windows Optimize every day at 12:25pm
- Run .bat file in task mgr to shudown ehshell.exe at 12:15pm (ehshell.exe must be stopped for optimize to work)
- Run .bat file in task mgr to reboot computer Sunday, Tuesday, Friday at 1:45pm daily
(WMC7 leaks memory on my pc.. used mem never goes down.. %of commited mem in use never goes down.. free mem drops to zero.. standby mem drops to single digits.. then.. boom!)
the ehshell.exe process is the biggest offender.
I figured why fight it.. now that I reboot the pc every 2-3 days.. the memory and tuner glitches have gone away..
- Turn off ALL power saving functions in Windows 7. Everything is powered all the time. (but the downside, its like leaving a 300 watt light on 24/7 - cha ching.. )
- Turn off media center background scanner in Ceton Infinity Advanced Diagnostic tools page. (this made a huge difference! I am tempted to undo everything else and just leave this in place.. it seems to have stabilized my partial recording issues.. )
- examine task mgr and move any scheduled task that takes place during WMC recording times to another NON conflicting time. (reduce the freq of the tasks if it doesn't cause any harm.)
- use the HTPC as just an HTPC.. not a gamer pc .. and don't do your spreadsheets on it either... go buy a dell for that..
The HTPC needs to be dedicated for that sole purpose. nothing else. If you feel otherwise, then have at it and have fun dealing with multiple problems.
- go out and buy some old HP dma-2100 media extenders on ebay and use those until ceton releases the echo later on this year. the hp's are quirky but quiet! (I use mine on wireless G and they work suprisingly well.) They do disconnect alot but never in the middle of any active tv viewing .. if they hose up.. unplug.. wait 10 sec.. plug in.. prob solved.. crude but quick.
Now it works pretty good. WAF is marginal but she DOES use this stuff..(she just blames me!) I will power cycle the ceton every two weeks if it doesn't crash first. I'm not greedy.. I can deal.. The ceton is for those folks who have the ability to tinker and figure things out..(and occasionally its also for someone like me who has no freakin clue :-P ) in return, you get a whole house dvr solution for the cost of a monthly cable card. YMMV
(Plus I got to learn about Cable TV signals and splitters and ingress, event viewer and task mgr and wireshark and tsview and all sorts of wonderful troubleshooting methods.. router access lists.. asdl dis-assemblers.. hex editors.. can I just sit down and watch some TV now?)
If anyone else has any stabliity tricks up their sleeve, lay em on me! (pretty soon I'm gonna bring in a exorcist!)
I am using AMD based pc's. (see specs, both use 790FX & GX NB / sb750 chipsets, one system uses newer cpu, one uses older cpu)
You folks out there doing network tuner sharing.. all I can say is wow! After reading all the horror stories I'm not brave enough to try it...Hats off to all of you guys for providing alot of useful experience for using these products! Thank you!
Newer CPU system:
1100 thuban six core - MSI 790FX mobo - 2x MSI HD6950 Twin Frozer III CF - Win7 SP1 - OCZ VTX3 120GB - WD 1 TB Caviar blk HD - Corsair AX850 PSU - Cyberpower CP1350UPS - Thermalright HSF - Obsidian 650-D case, corsair Pi tri ch mem (using 2 sticks)
Older CPU system:
AMD FX-60 Toledo dual core (skt 939) - AsRock 939 790GX mobo - 1x XFX HD6870 (ref) - Win7 RTM - WD 640GB Caviar blk HD - Corsair TX-650 PSU - APC 900W UPS - XPSC RASA 750 water cooler kit - EK water block for hd6870 - 120mm dual thick rad (black ice) - Antec mini P180 case - 1 TB caviar blk - ocz plat Pc3200 184 pin ddr mem. (this is my baby.. merges 2006 cpu / mem with 790gx/sb750 chipset. I had to pay out the nOse to import this wierd mobo... but I like it... so I water cooled it.. then jammed it all into a mini ATX case.. its totally retarded.. but I just cant help myself.. I must have a behavioral disorder.. sorry... )
even older cpu system:
AMD 4800+ Toledo dual core (skt 939) - MSI K8N NEO4 (ver 3) sata II mobo - XFX HD5850 Win 7 RTM - WD750GB Cavialr blk HD - PC&C 510ATX PSU - APC backups 800 UPS - thermaltake cl200 heat pipe air cooler w/venus manually controlled hsf - ocz plat mem pc3200 184 pin,Antec P-182 case.
Denon AVR-5308ci, 2x Proton D1200 2ch amps, Legacy Audio Classic Towers (mid 1990s ver), Cinema Center ch spkr, Mists surrounds
(Note: 2 separate 20 amp circuits used for receiver and amp + PS Audio line conditioner.)
P.S. In case you noticed, I'm using a pair of CF hd6950's for an HTPC.. no I'm not an idiot.. (er.. well not completely) I am using my former gaming pc in place of my htpc because of all the issues I was having with the .. you know...
I plan on migrating back to the dual core pc soon.....Edited by NCoastTweaker - 8/14/12 at 6:53pm