or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 117

post #3481 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

If you haven't already, open a ticket and we will help out

Ticket's have been submitted over the weekend. Waiting on a response.

Thanks
post #3482 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

I have a new htpc with a Ceton Infinity 4 pci - e and need a bit of advice .
My new htpc has the following parts besides the Ceton and I use TWC as my provider.
Intel G620 , 8gigs of ramm , 128 gigg ssd (no hdd) , this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121622 . and Windows 7 Ultimate .
I keep getting the dreaded " video playback device does not support playback of protected content" every time I try and tune a channel or I should say every time I try to tune a non sdv channel . The igpu on the cpu has the latest driver as of 5/21/12 so I call that current .
The ceton use to be in another htpc and was fed by a GT 430 discrete vid. card from asus and I never had this problem . SOOOOO , I am suspecting the Intel G620 ( Intel 2000 graphics) does not support playback of protected content ? . BTW , I have a cable "M" card so I have rights to the protected content as well as a tuning adapter for the sdv ( local) channels .
Do I need to switch the cpu out for an Intel that has the 3000 graphics ? and will that resolve the issue or is there some other things I can try first ?
Please , a bit of HELP !!
Thanks


I wanted to post an update as to the resolution to the issue at hand .

There were several factors that were causing the above problem . Some were easy to fix and some were very rough to say the least .

# 1 I don't know how but for some reason the igpu was set to out put to dual monitors . Well that was not the case as I am on a single flat panel TV . That alone would be enough to cause the error I was having as I ( speculation) think that hdcp or drm or what ever the hell you wanna call it today would not like that at all . This was an easy fix but did not totally solve the problem .

# 2 I had installed and un installed the Ceton drivers so many times in the past 3 weeks that the registry was corrupt . This WAS NOT an easy fix and involved manually finding the offending registry entries and delete them . As you all know , playing in the registry is dangerous stuff . That alone did not fix the issue either .

# 3 Who woulda thought that Windows Live Essentials anti virus would block the Ceton from working ? Well it did cause every time I installed the Ceton drivers the WLE anti virus would ask me to scan my drives and then the Ceton would not work . That tipped me off right away . The solution ? Un install WLE , install the Ceton drivers , get everything working and then reinstall the WLE ant virus .

Another words, ALL three issues combined and solved has me watching TV and playing like a champ !! biggrin.gif

I hope this may help some other folks if they run into drm issues .

Thanks to all who helped . No one post solved the issue but all the posts combined lead me in the right directions
post #3483 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

Sounds like your only option, system shouldn't lockup like that, but it's interesting that it locks up media center, you would think MCE would either find the card, or not find the card, and keep humming along.

Tried to setup the card manually in 'Network Tuners'. I specified 192.168.0.200 and 255.255.255.0 for the ceton adapter. The machine adapter is set to 192.168.0.4 and 255.255.255.0. MCE sez that the two are on different subnets. News to me! I routinely use 192.168.0.250 for my new machines. No matter, once again MCE locked up. Ceton has some suggestions that I'll try tomorrow.
post #3484 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

I am curious if you have considered getting a non-cable card HD homerun? You can specify it to only get used for non-encrypted channels. I know in my household, that would be sufficient as 50% of our viewing is clearQAM. Very cost effective solution to get another two tuners.
xnappo

I've not considered it, but I would go that route before renting a STB, but I'm in no rush, I'm happy to wait for the 6 tuner, assuming it's still in the works, otherwise, then Yeah, I may look in to using a quam tuner, but in my area Comcast uses those Digital adapters, I'd only get 5 or 6 channels NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, PBS, a church channel or two, you know the one with the lady wearing the pink wig, which is complete crap, I know cobb county Georgia was the first to go live in the state back in 2008 or 9 I believe, before that, you could get all your basic cable channels and then some with out a box, which is one reason why I have a ceton, it makes no sense for a consumer to have to rent all these devices just to view a cable subscription, we should have the option to use our equipment, heck, they should also provide a second mcard as well, at no charge, since that's required to make my own tuners work, anyway, I digress.
Edited by dbailey75 - 8/28/12 at 10:45am
post #3485 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

I've not considered it, but I would go that route before renting a STB, but I'm in no rush, I'm happy to wait for the 6 tuner, assuming it's still in the works, otherwise, then Yeah, I may look in to using a quam tuner, but in my area Comcast uses those Digital adapters, I'd only get 5 or 6 channels NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, PBS, a church channel or two, you know the one with the lady wearing the pink wig, which is complete crap, I know cobb county Georgia was the first to go live in the state back in 2008 or 9 I believe, before that, you could get all your basic cable channels and then some with out a box, which is one reason why I have a ceton, it makes no sense for a consumer to have to rent all these devices just to view a cable subscription, we should have the option to user their equipment or our own, heck, the should also give me access to second mcard as well, at not charge, since that's required to make my own tuners work, anyway, I digress.

biggrin.gif Yeah, it is the same here - but again those 6 channels are still ~%50 of our viewing, so since you can assign the HD Homerun to get used only for those channels it would still suffice.

Right now, I haven't run out with just 4, but that my change as my kids get older.

xnappo
post #3486 of 4751
If this has been answered, I apologize, I did search.
Can the Ceton InfiniTV 4 push live TV to my other TV's in my house and if so how can I do this?
post #3487 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by joutlaw View Post

I replaced my CableCard, but still get this error when I try to clear my channel map. Any suggestions?

Ceton is replacing my infiniTV.
post #3488 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post

If this has been answered, I apologize, I did search.
Can the Ceton InfiniTV 4 push live TV to my other TV's in my house and if so how can I do this?

Can you explain a bit more what you mean?

You can:
1. Get an extender (an XBOX360, or wait for the Ceton extender) which allows dynamic use of the tuners from another location
2. Use another PC hooked up to another TV and statically assign one of the tuners to that PC
3. Use VLC to set up a stream that from PC 'A' for viewing on PC/MediaPlayer 'B' for UNENCRYPTED content. This is what I think of when I hear 'push' but not sure that is what you mean.

xnappo
post #3489 of 4751
So I have figured out that the Norton Security Suite is what is causing all my problems, is there something that can be done to allow this setup to work. Everything I have tried does not work. Making changes to all ceton firewall settings to allow does nothing. In Michigan everything worked with Norton, after my move to Arizona it does not wtf is going on?
post #3490 of 4751
Uninstall Norton and use Microsoft Security Essentials.
post #3491 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Uninstall Norton and use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Going to try it out. Would you say this is a good way to secure my systems I have always used norton for years and never had anything bad happen. I want to stay as secure as possible and avoid the headaches anti-virus software can have if you use a ceton card. Anyone else have some good antivirus and firewall setups that work well with the ceton cards?
post #3492 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatdeath View Post

Going to try it out. Would you say this is a good way to secure my systems I have always used norton for years and never had anything bad happen. I want to stay as secure as possible and avoid the headaches anti-virus software can have if you use a ceton card. Anyone else have some good antivirus and firewall setups that work well with the ceton cards?
Microsoft Security Essentials is what I've been using for a while now without any problems and it's what Ceton recommends using.
post #3493 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatdeath View Post

Going to try it out. Would you say this is a good way to secure my systems I have always used norton for years and never had anything bad happen. I want to stay as secure as possible and avoid the headaches anti-virus software can have if you use a ceton card. Anyone else have some good antivirus and firewall setups that work well with the ceton cards?

I've used Norton provided by Comcast for a while on my HTPC before putting the turner in my server, no issues, but it was a pain to manually open the ports in the norton firewall each time i did a rebuild back in the early days of tweaking, I switched to MSE for both my HTPC and used the windows firewall, my HTPC's are only used for Media, maybe the occasional internet search or streaming. I will say if your using your PC for Media and everyday usage, Nortorn, Eset NOD32, kaspersky, etc and others are much better AV products. Never had a virus until I installed MSE on my main PC, and got a virus that would cause my PC to reboot, it would not even stay on long enough to run a quick scan, so I put norton back on my primary PC since is technically free. I'm running ESET NOD32 on my WHS 2011server that's hosting the ceton tuner, i don't think I've enabled the ESET firewall on my server.
post #3494 of 4751
Ceton replaced my card. Got it in 2 days from WA to MS even with Isaac smile.gif .

My old card was having some issues. I couldn't update the channel map or firmware. It's like the memory was not writable. Strange thing is I was able to update my hardware version to 6212 without issues.

After 6 days, Comcast was finally able to pair my new CableCard as well. Everything is working great with the new infiniTV and CableCard. I flashed the new card to 1.1.8.70 and received the updated channel map shortly after. Now my issue is some channels are in the map, but don't show up in the WMC guide. Zap2it also doesn't show the new channels, so I am going to report it to them.
post #3495 of 4751
Just recently, I started getting the micro blocking on two lower level channels, ABC, and Fox, we've had a lots rain, and my first though was to check the compression fittings on the outside of the house, did that, a couple were a little lose, but made no changes to the micro-blocking, I then checked the dongle on the card and the cable connection, I twisted the the dongle were it connects to the tuner back and forth, and then ensured the dongle was tightly screwed in the cable. After that, the micro-blocking was no longer present. So I'm wondering if there was some corrosion building up on dongle, I didn't pull the server out to inspect the connections on the tuner, but next time I bring my server down to vacuum out the dust, I'll check the tuner for any corrosion and maybe use something to clean the connector.

Just an FYI for anyone that runs into this problem all of a sudden.
post #3496 of 4751
What would happen if i cleared history in windows media center? Is the history used to stop repeats from being recorded?
post #3497 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by joutlaw View Post

Ceton replaced my card. Got it in 2 days from WA to MS even with Isaac smile.gif .
My old card was having some issues. I couldn't update the channel map or firmware. It's like the memory was not writable.

Weird, I just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. My Ceton card couldn't save the new Olympic channels so after sleep (or power up) I couldn't watch the newer channels until a new channel map was received. I also couldn't update FW. The log showed errors trying to write the flash for either FW or the channel map.

I wonder how wide spread this issue is?
post #3498 of 4751
Help all of a sudden tuner is not found
USB ceton 4 can any give me some basic troubleshooting
Tips. Thank you
post #3499 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjimmy29 View Post

Help all of a sudden tuner is not found
USB ceton 4 can any give me some basic troubleshooting
Tips. Thank you

Try uninstalling any firewall/antivirus/internet security software you have. Beyond that, what color is the LED on the tuner?
post #3500 of 4751
Without going into a lot of detail, I wanted to shout out to Ceton support. For two years TWC in Northeast Wisconsin could not get it right. I could never get the same channel map to my cablecard with the full sub I have on my set top box. Finally, I opened a ticket with Ceton, and Voila! A couple of days later it works as it should.

Thanks! Awesome.
post #3501 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

# 2 I had installed and un installed the Ceton drivers so many times in the past 3 weeks that the registry was corrupt . This WAS NOT an easy fix and involved manually finding the offending registry entries and delete them . As you all know , playing in the registry is dangerous stuff . That alone did not fix the issue either .

I recommend downloading ccleaner, www.ccleaner.com. It has been around forever, is free, and is contantly updated. I have never had an issue using it. It will clean up your registry and temp files nicely. I set mine up to not delete cookies so I would still auto log onto forums such as this one. smile.gif
post #3502 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I recommend downloading ccleaner, www.ccleaner.com. It has been around forever, is free, and is contantly updated. I have never had an issue using it. It will clean up your registry and temp files nicely. I set mine up to not delete cookies so I would still auto log onto forums such as this one. smile.gif

I'd personally recommend against using CCleaner. We have seen issues (including the inability to install any network card drivers, which includes the InfiniTV drivers) caused by it. IMHO "fix everything" utilities are generally snake oil.
post #3503 of 4751
Really? You are the first person I have heard say anything negative about it. However, since you are in a position to know fully what can happen, I will take your word for it and stop using it for registry cleaning.
post #3504 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Really? You are the first person I have heard say anything negative about it. However, since you are in a position to know fully what can happen, I will take your word for it and stop using it for registry cleaning.

That's a first for me too !! WoW , may explain some of my issues as related to the Ceton and networking . My Mac mini port bridge keeps breaking and it is a real pain to re build the entire set up every time.

Looks like an "uninstall" is coming up for Ccleaner
post #3505 of 4751
Don't get me wrong, there are some good things about it, but I'd look at something like CCleaner more as a last resort before format than preventive maintenance.
post #3506 of 4751
Is the latest firmware for the CETON PCI-E card now stable? I have been hesitant to ugprade however with my new Core I5 2500K and H77 Mobo I seem to be getting more stuttering now and then. With my older hardware I dont remember seeing as much of this. Same video card is being used (ATI 6450).
post #3507 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshster View Post

Is the latest firmware for the CETON PCI-E card now stable? I have been hesitant to ugprade however with my new Core I5 2500K and H77 Mobo I seem to be getting more stuttering now and then. With my older hardware I dont remember seeing as much of this. Same video card is being used (ATI 6450).

We are not aware of any stability issues with current InfiniTV firmware. If you are on the latest firmware and are experiencing issues, please open a support ticket with us. Stuttering is most likely related to your video driver/card (though without seeing it, I can't be certain).

This is actually something I've struggled with. I've seen people post on forums, like this one, saying they have been having problem X for 2+ months (for example) -I ask if they have opened a support ticket, and the answer is no. Guys - we've not charging for support, if you're having an issue, please open a ticket with us - don't suffer in silence. I'm not saying don't post to forums, but I'd much rather see you open a ticket and get your issue resolved than stew for 2 months with an issue.
Also, if you are having an issue we are unaware of, we have no way to fix it without working through it in a support ticket.
post #3508 of 4751
Eric,

Over the weekend, I updated to the new driver package from the website, which will now allow access to the beta firmware files. I had previously been on firmware 1.1.7.2 (if my memory is correct) and hardware version of 5124 (something close). I tried to update to the latest firmware which is listed in the app as 1.1.8.4 (I think). It downloads, unpacks, then gives me an error saying that it fails, and it is unable to save the new firmware to the memory. I was able to upgrade the hardware version on the cards through the app to 6xxx (can't remember again). I tried again with the firmware upgrade and it gives me the same error.

For the record, I have two InfiniTVs in the same computer, and I am unable to upgrade either card. I was curious if anyone had this issue, or if it was a known problem?
Edited by BlaZeR2 - 9/4/12 at 10:48am
post #3509 of 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeR2 View Post

Eric,
Over the weekend, I updated to the new driver package from the website, which will now allow access to the beta firmware files. I had previously been on firmware 1.1.7.2 (if my memory is correct) and hardware version of 5124 (something close). I tried to update to the latest firmware which is listed in the app as 1.1.8.4 (I think). It downloads, unpacks, then gives me an error saying that it fails, and it is unable to save the new firmware to the memory. I was able to upgrade the hardware version on the cards through the app to 6xxx (can't remember again). I tried again with the firmware upgrade and it gives me the same error.
For the record, I have two InfiniTVs in the same computer, and I am unable to upgrade either card. I was curious if anyone had this issue, or if it was a known problem?

What is the exact text of the error you are getting? Also, you may want to try disabling any firewall software that you have installed.
post #3510 of 4751
I will have to get the exact text of the error when I get home later. I do know that it didn't pop up any errors. It just said in the main dialog box that was displaying the upgrade status that it failed. I believe said it was unable to save the firmware to memory. But I will let you know.

I am not currently running any firewall or antivirus on my HTPC. (I am not even sure if Windows Firewall is turned on, but I will try to disable it).

UPDATE:

I have verified. No firewall software running (i even disabled windows firewall for this test)

The error is:

Please try again, and if the error persists, contact Ceton support.

Failed to update Ceton InfiniTV PCIe (00-80-57-4a). Saving new firmware to device failed.

Here is a screen shot:


Edited by BlaZeR2 - 9/4/12 at 12:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread