or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 128

post #3811 of 4761
A bunch of shows ended up showing reruns or were replaced with Sandy coverage. Hawaii Five-O was another one. Tonight, Hawaii Five-O showed the episode that matched the guide data for last week, and the show description for tonight was for a different episode (that was originally scheduled to air tonight). It looks like it will take a week or so for the guide data to get back in sync, so it would probably be wise to keep an eye on Monday night shows to make sure nothing gets missed due to the episode shuffling as sooner or later the same episode description is going to show up 2 weeks in a row resulting in the 2nd one not recording.

Interestingly, it looks like BeyondTV's (I use BeyondTV mostly as a backup in case WMC screws up) guide data must have been updated and correct for tonight, so oddly enough it did NOT record Hawaii Five-O tonight as it would have looked like a repeat of the episode that was in the guide data for last week. BeyondTV's guide data for next week is showing the episode description that WMC was showing for tonight. This is the first time in a while that BeyondTV has "failed" to record something I would have wanted it to, but I can't fault it because it did the right thing based on the guide data and there was no update (at least none that was received in time) to reflect the schedule changes that happened last Monday as they were obviously last minute changes.
post #3812 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

yep same here, on two broke girls, I remember last weeks was a rerun but it recorded, but the show synopsis for this week was the same as last week, so yeah, the guide data is off.
But I'd like to point on, this is the wifes show, I just make sure its recorded. wink.gif

Media Center recorded Two Broke Girls "And the Pre-Approved Credit Card" as a new episode for me last night. I wasn't home so I'm not sure what episode my FiOS STB guide said was supposed to air.

My power kept going off and on during the hurricane last week so I had the computer shut down. All the local channels here were covering the hurricane so the regular shows weren't on. Which episode was supposed air last week?
post #3813 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

yep same here, on two broke girls, I remember last weeks was a rerun but it recorded, but the show synopsis for this week was the same as last week, so yeah, the guide data is off.
But I'd like to point on, this is the wifes show, I just make sure its recorded. wink.gif

Media Center recorded Two Broke Girls "And the Pre-Approved Credit Card" as a new episode for me last night. I wasn't home so I'm not sure what episode my FiOS STB guide said was supposed to air.

My power kept going off and on during the hurricane last week so I had the computer shut down. All the local channels here were covering the hurricane so the regular shows weren't on. Which episode was supposed air last week?

odd this is (Two Broke Girls "And the Pre-Approved Credit Card") last weeks episode and didn't record for me. I had to manually tell it to. Mike and Molly did.
post #3814 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

odd this is (Two Broke Girls "And the Pre-Approved Credit Card") last weeks episode and didn't record for me. I had to manually tell it to. Mike and Molly did.

Mike & Molly "Mike's Boss" recorded last night as a new episode. I really didn't care what was on TV last Monday but now I'm curious what I missed. I'm near Philadelphia (VHO8) so maybe the hurricane set us back a week from the rest of the country?
post #3815 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

odd this is (Two Broke Girls "And the Pre-Approved Credit Card") last weeks episode and didn't record for me. I had to manually tell it to. Mike and Molly did.
There's really nothing odd about it - it's all about the guide data.

In your case, it sounds like last week was scheduled to air Two Broke Girls "And the Pre-Approved Credit Card" but aired either storm coverage or a repeat episode instead. BUT based on the guide data, WMC thought it actually recorded Two Broke Girls "And the Pre-Approved Credit Card".

This week, your guide data must have updated to have the correct episode (Two Broke Girls "And the Pre-Approved Credit Card"), but since it was recorded last week (as far as WMC knows), WMC saw it as something you already recorded and didn't automatically record it for you.

With Mike and Molly, I suspect you'll find that the guide data for the episode that recorded last night is out of sync with the episode that actually recorded, so you'll want to keep an eye on it for the next few weeks as the guide data should sync up sooner or later which will result in WMC thinking an episode was already recorded and thus not record what actually ~is~ a new episode.

Among other things, the guide data feed contains the show name, the episode name, the episode number (which is usually some combination of the season number and the episode within the season), the original air date, and an "isRepeat" flag that indicates if the show is new or a repeat. When you tell WMC to record only new episodes, it looks like it uses a combination of the "isRepeat" flag AND the episode name to figure out if it should record the show. If the "isRepeat" flag is true, it won't record. But if the episode name matches a show that was already recorded, WMC won't record the episode - or at least that's what it seems to do. From what I can tell, it ignores the original air date field - and that may not get update in the guide data to the new original air date anyway. So for WMC to record one of these episodes that look like repeats, but aren't, the guide data would need to be fudged to trick WMC into think it really is a new episode that hasn't been recorded before. My guess is that making a change to the episode name ~might~ work. But it's something we unfortunately have no control over. One would think it should be sufficient for the guide data to set the "isRepeat" flag to false and leave everything else alone, but I don't think that would work.

For sort of a counter example, I've had lots of cases where WMC has recorded old episodes of shows like Law & Order: SVU or Merlin (and some others) that are clearly old episodes (as they're from previous seasons) and had the original air date set properly but must have had the "isRepeat" flag set to false. I still haven't figured out what causes those to record.

WMC seems to work well most of the time in at least recording the things I want it to, but there are times when I just can't fathom what sort of "logic" was used that resulted in something recording that shouldn't have or vice versa.
post #3816 of 4761
Can people with hardware version 6212 please reply as to whether you see single-line macroblocking on copy-once channels?

As a reminder I had a 6212 card and never saw the issue, then after an RMA due to firmware preventing updates I got a 6210 and now have the problem.

I have asked Ceton if they can fix the flash on my original card and get it back to me, but they are no longer answering my emails.

xnappo
post #3817 of 4761
My Ceton Infinitv4 is updated to the latest drivers and firmware. I am experiences drops of video on certain channels. It is not that it loses signal and goes blank, the actually video is dropping out during playback like my receiver can't even see the HTPC. If i bring the guide up or on certain channels it has no issues ever, but on some channels the video/audio completely cuts out and I get I blank screen like nothing is being sent to my receiver. Any advice/tips on how to fix this?
post #3818 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ View Post

My Ceton Infinitv4 is updated to the latest drivers and firmware. I am experiences drops of video on certain channels. It is not that it loses signal and goes blank, the actually video is dropping out during playback like my receiver can't even see the HTPC. If i bring the guide up or on certain channels it has no issues ever, but on some channels the video/audio completely cuts out and I get I blank screen like nothing is being sent to my receiver. Any advice/tips on how to fix this?

Some channels have issues with what's called the 29/59 frame rate glitch/bug. Google it. Ok, while there are certain GPU's that can handle the frame rate switch, GT 430, older First gen Icore Clarkdales. but when running through and AVR, with upscaling, or what ever video processing is called on your AVR, the AVR just can't handle the switching. I made a post a few months ago, when I get my Denon. so I had to turn off the video processing on my AVR, which as a result turns on the AVR's on screen gui. but for those channels with the glitch, it just was't working out.
post #3819 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

Ok, while there are certain GPU's that can handle the frame rate switch, GT 430, older First gen Icore Clarkdales.
My i5-650 Clarkdale has the 29/59 bug. I bought a GT430 to correct the problem.

What BigZAJ is describing doesn't sound like my 29/59 problem. My audio was fine but the video was jerky on the premium pay channels. My video never went black so maybe he has a bad HDMI cable?
post #3820 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

My i5-650 Clarkdale has the 29/59 bug. I bought a GT430 to correct the problem.
What BigZAJ is describing doesn't sound like my 29/59 problem. My audio was fine but the video was jerky on the premium pay channels. My video never went black so maybe he has a bad HDMI cable?

even if you have a solution that works when connected directly to the TV, as i do, when running through an AVR with vidoe processing, the AVR, can't deal with the changing refresh rate at all, even with the GT 430, and since its happening only on some channels, sounds like it's still the issue. the best way to confirm is to turn off the video processing of the AVR and see what happens, but there may still be some issues if he's not using one of the known solutions.
post #3821 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

even if you have a solution that works when connected directly to the TV, as i do, when running through an AVR with vidoe processing, the AVR, can't deal with the changing refresh rate at all, even with the GT 430, and since its happening only on some channels, sounds like it's still the issue. the best way to confirm is to turn off the video processing of the AVR and see what happens, but there may still be some issues if he's not using one of the known solutions.
My reply was intended to point out that some Clarkdale processors do have the 29/59 bug, but I see what you're saying about the AVR video processing.
post #3822 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Can people with hardware version 6212 please reply as to whether you see single-line macroblocking on copy-once channels?
As a reminder I had a 6212 card and never saw the issue, then after an RMA due to firmware preventing updates I got a 6210 and now have the problem.
I have asked Ceton if they can fix the flash on my original card and get it back to me, but they are no longer answering my emails.
xnappo

I don't remember what I had before, but now with 6210 I get occasional lines on copy protected content on fios.

I wonder why this happens? Whats the point of copy protection, when the cableco's own boxes somehow ignore/bypass it? Anyway, as stated in the past: copy protection doesn't stop piracy. Its like gun control, criminals still can get guns, lol.


BTW on sandy bridge i5-2500k no issues w 29/59. Just make sure to disable pulldown detection and sharpness/contrast/color enhancements in the intel properties.
post #3823 of 4761
Same here... - 6210 HW version and single horiztonal line, occasionally - most channels are Copy protected; shows on main PC and extenders. Also on an i5-2500k
post #3824 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

Same here... - 6210 HW version and single horiztonal line, occasionally - most channels are Copy protected; shows on main PC and extenders. Also on an i5-2500k

Okay, now people with 6212 HW do you see the single line macroblocking?

xnappo
post #3825 of 4761
I haven't updated my Ceton firmware and drivers in quite a while since things have been running pretty well. However I just went through my system to update drivers, etc. and was surprised to find that Ceton hadn't updated their release software since 2011 - so I am running the latest release software.

Things have been running pretty well except for perhaps an occasional not available tuner, but changing the channel seems to bring it back to life when that happens.

I see that there is a very current beta release available, but I hesitate to install it because I'm not sure how stable it is.

So, what does everyone think? Is the beta stable and worth upgrading to? Or should I stick with my 2011 release software?

Thanks!
post #3826 of 4761
If it ain't broke ...
post #3827 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

If it ain't broke ...

+1 , defiantly agree

Fact of the mater is , Ceton recommends using the beta at there discretion . Another words , if you have a problem then file a ticket and let them decide based on the issue weather you need the beta
post #3828 of 4761
Thanks... just surprised there hasn't been an official release in so long. Just wondering if there were any benefits, such as faster channel changing, etc... and if the current beta was considered stable. In some cases beta releases can be more stable than releases, especially when it's been a year since a release.

I do get that occassional no tuner error but it happens so infrequently it's not much of a bother.

Guess I'll keep watching for an official release.
post #3829 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post

Thanks... just surprised there hasn't been an official release in so long. Just wondering if there were any benefits, such as faster channel changing, etc... and if the current beta was considered stable. In some cases beta releases can be more stable than releases, especially when it's been a year since a release.
I do get that occassional no tuner error but it happens so infrequently it's not much of a bother.
Guess I'll keep watching for an official release.

i recently started using the beta. i too was hesitant to move from the stable release but i haven't looked back since. all i know is that since changing from the stable release i haven't seen a single tuner unavailable message or seen any error messages on my system. i used to get no turner messages and no signal for such and such program a few times a week. also the channel tuning does seem to be a bit quicker. like i said i haven't looked back since changing to the beta but your outcome could be completely different than mine.
post #3830 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

Yes, I think you might be unlucky, The first card should be free, not only that, Comcast provides a monthly credit of 2.50 for using my own equipment. So your right, it's not free, I get paid to have a cable card. biggrin.gif

Your first CableCard is only free if you don't also have an HD-DVR... which I have. For free as part of my bundle. With a slingbox, two slingcatchers, and two apps (iPhone and iPad) connected to it.

But because I have a set-top box, my CableCard isn't free. Comcast actually charges $7.50 a month for the CableCard.



But regardless, it's only "free" if you don't have use for any more equipment (second card, set-top box, ect). Otherwise, you can still look at it as spreading the price-per-device out over the equipment you are putting to use.
post #3831 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdiver View Post


i recently started using the beta. i too was hesitant to move from the stable release but i haven't looked back since. all i know is that since changing from the stable release i haven't seen a single tuner unavailable message or seen any error messages on my system. i used to get no turner messages and no signal for such and such program a few times a week. also the channel tuning does seem to be a bit quicker. like i said i haven't looked back since changing to the beta but your outcome could be completely different than mine.
The experience with the latest beta has been the same for me. I was having the occassional No Tuner Available and Subscription Required messages as well as single line macroblocking on premium channels. Since installing the beta I haven't seen any of that. I could swear that the tuners initialize faster on resume and that channel changes are slightly faster too. However, ymmv.
post #3832 of 4761
So I have been using the pcie for 3 months now on fios and love it. I have been experiencing the macroblocking on all the HBO channel fairly regularly and occasionally on espn/fx/cc....The main complaint i have is the tuning of Fox Soccer Channel. Whenever we tune to that channel we notice terrible pixelation and freezing. Any suggestions on address this issue
post #3833 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercrouch View Post

So I have been using the pcie for 3 months now on fios and love it. I have been experiencing the macroblocking on all the HBO channel fairly regularly and occasionally on espn/fx/cc....The main complaint i have is the tuning of Fox Soccer Channel. Whenever we tune to that channel we notice terrible pixelation and freezing. Any suggestions on address this issue
Are you using the router supplied by Verizon? If so, you'll need a low pass filter. Here's the excerpt from the InfiniTV4 setup procedures:
Quote:
MoCA adapter users may require a low pass filter to prevent interference with TV reception on some channels. FIOS
customers should request a low pass filter at the time of installation.

I had the same issue as you described before I picked up a low pass filter from Solid Signal. You may be able to request one from Verizon.
post #3834 of 4761
Quote:
The experience with the latest beta has been the same for me. I was having the occassional No Tuner Available and Subscription Required messages as well as single line macroblocking on premium channels. Since installing the beta I haven't seen any of that. I could swear that the tuners initialize faster on resume and that channel changes are slightly faster too. However, ymmv.

I loaded the beta package and firmware last night. So far so good, will report back if I have any trouble.
post #3835 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post

I loaded the beta package and firmware last night. So far so good, will report back if I have any trouble.
After a week and a half it has still been flawless.

The only time I had a problem was yesterday but it was my own fault. I swapped out a wireless bridge on my HTPC for an 802.11n USB wireless adapter. Because of my particular configuration (I have another wireless bridge to connect to the extender) I enabled Internet Connection Sharing. The InfiniTV4 does not play well with ICS. I disabled ICS and bridged the connections instead and now all is well.
post #3836 of 4761
Are ya'll referencing the 1.2.1.x FW?
post #3837 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ View Post

My Ceton Infinitv4 is updated to the latest drivers and firmware. I am experiences drops of video on certain channels. It is not that it loses signal and goes blank, the actually video is dropping out during playback like my receiver can't even see the HTPC. If i bring the guide up or on certain channels it has no issues ever, but on some channels the video/audio completely cuts out and I get I blank screen like nothing is being sent to my receiver. Any advice/tips on how to fix this?
I used to see this but it only occurred during commercials on CNN HD and HLN HD. I could never figure it out. I changed video drivers, audio drivers.. you name it. nothing worked. Fortunately it was at a client that was rarely used. It resolved itself over time. I suspect it was a Microsoft issue..It never occured during main broadcast content only during commercials and only during some commercials. It was very repeatable in that the same commercials always did it. Again that was about a 1/3rd of them.
post #3838 of 4761
Why does "Eject Ceton InfiniTV USB" show up in "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" menu? I'm concerned that I might accidently eject it when trying to eject a USB flash drive. Is it safe to accidently eject it? Would that inadvertantly stop a recording?

I'm guessing that this shows up because the tuner is marked as removable, but not surprise removal OK.
post #3839 of 4761
gosh... dont you love it when a new guy comes in a drives company reps away...... weeeeee...


on the side note... O_o, A 6 Tuner InifiTV?,
post #3840 of 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Mike & Molly "Mike's Boss" recorded last night as a new episode. I really didn't care what was on TV last Monday but now I'm curious what I missed. I'm near Philadelphia (VHO8) so maybe the hurricane set us back a week from the rest of the country?

CBS decided not to air new episodes because a lot of people were without power, and it is ratings time from Nielsen. So, they saved new episodes for later airing. TV Guide was not updated with the re-runs listing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread