or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (remake)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (remake) - Page 3

post #61 of 493
The transformation. Rooney looks like Elijah Wood in the first Tattoo pic.

post #62 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

More that they felt the need to exploit a physical aspect of the character that isn't supposed to be there in the first place. Its one thing for the character to be more well endowed, its quite another to have that endowment the primary focus of the poster. One can imagine the studio exec after reading the book and seeing the swedish film, coming up with what the material needs to attract the american public: more boobs.
Still I don't want to rush my judgment of the poster without long and careful leering...,er, looking.

What you see on the poster is what the marketing department thinks will help sell the movie after a lot of playing around in Photoshop.

Which actress was it a few years ago who publicly outed a studio for doubling her breast size in a movie poster? I forget, but it was pretty funny.
post #63 of 493
Keira Knightly was disturbed by what the studio did with her on the King Arthur posters.

The trailer was before X-MEN today and the text that flashed on screen was actually impossible to read at that size. People were asking whoever was sitting next to them if they knew what the words were. They just flash by too fast and too darned big to take in.
post #64 of 493
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

What you see on the poster is what the marketing department thinks will help sell the movie after a lot of playing around in Photoshop.

Which actress was it a few years ago who publicly outed a studio for doubling her breast size in a movie poster? I forget, but it was pretty funny.

Wasn't that Emma Watson of the Harry Potter films?
post #65 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Keira Knightly was disturbed by what the studio did with her on the King Arthur posters.

The trailer was before X-MEN today and the text that flashed on screen was actually impossible to read at that size. People were asking whoever was sitting next to them if they knew what the words were. They just flash by too fast and too darned big to take in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Wasn't that Emma Watson of the Harry Potter films?

I wasn't aware of the issue, but a quick Google search bring up:



But no doubt it happens all of the time. I remember reading somewhere that even within films there's a lot of tweaking done like this in post-production.
post #66 of 493
As much as I loved the Millenium Trilogy and the original The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, this remake intrigues me. It's in-your-face stylishness could sink it but in the hands of the capable David Fincher I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn out to be really good. I think it's fair to say that Fincher has been on a roll lately.
post #67 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As much as I loved the Millenium Trilogy and the original The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, this remake intrigues me. It's in-your-face stylishness could sink it but in the hands of the capable David Fincher I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn out to be really good. I think it's fair to say that Fincher has been on a roll lately.

I think its fair to say that Fincher has been on a roll since Se7enn. The Game and Panic Room were perhaps not super hits, but they're both extraordinary films all things considered. Probably arguably his weakest is Alien 3, but I think that film is a masterpiece. So I can't see how he could possibly do wrong here, especially based on the previews and the popularity of the books and original films.
post #68 of 493
I just noticed there are words on the poster I find the tag line intriging, implying as it does that Lisbeth may be evil. Maybe I'm dense but with all the complicated aspects of her persona, and my different takes on it, that was one that didn't occur to me. But it does make sense in some ways and could lead to an entirely different approach to the telling of her story.It gives me hope anyways that the film could be much more than a remake. Or am I reading too much into what is merely a marketing tool? There are so many here that have greater insight into art than I do. Did any of you consider Salender evil, either in the books or films? She does bad things sure, but is she her father's child as much as her half brother is?
post #69 of 493
She has been looked upon by certain characters as evil. Definitely in the books, not sure about the original films.
post #70 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I just noticed there are words on the poster I find the tag line intriging, implying as it does that Lisbeth may be evil. Maybe I'm dense but with all the complicated aspects of her persona, and my different takes on it, that was one that didn't occur to me. But it does make sense in some ways and could lead to an entirely different approach to the telling of her story.It gives me hope anyways that the film could be much more than a remake. Or am I reading too much into what is merely a marketing tool? There are so many here that have greater insight into art than I do. Did any of you consider Salender evil, either in the books or films? She does bad things sure, but is she her father's child as much as her half brother is?

I'd say it's more of a marketing scheme, like those enhanced boobs. It never entered my mind when I was reading the books or watching the series. Although, now that you mention it, I suppose the actions of some characters could be looked upon as evil, but rather than evil, I don't think their brains are firing on all cylinders. Evil has become such an overused word today, and the evangelicals have done an excellent job of selling everything that they don't like as evil, it has very little meaning to me; not that it ever did, but now it's become absurd.
post #71 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I'd say it's more of a marketing scheme, like those enhanced boobs. It never entered my mind when I was reading the books or watching the series. Although, now that you mention it, I suppose the actions of some characters could be looked upon as evil, but rather than evil, I don't think their brains are firing on all cylinders. Evil has become such an overused word today, and the evangelicals have done an excellent job of selling everything that they don't like as evil, it has very little meaning to me; not that it ever did, but now it's become absurd.

Ya never know what those marketing folks are thinking...

Evil Shall with Evil Be Expelled

...an almost biblical expression which doesn't jive with the spirit of the material. Salander, in the first book, is an abused outcast with hidden talents. She won't hesitate to use her unique problem solving ability to get her life back under control, help a "friend" or destroy an enemy. All this is revealed in the story. She's an admirable, but strange little character. I can't see anyway to color her as evil. She's going to be just as sympathetic in this one too or the howling will be intense. I'm more concerned that Mara can't pull it off.
post #72 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

The MPAA probably demanded they lower the brightness. They love doing that sort of thing. I'm amazed that shot passed muster at all.

I didn't even notice the boobers.

My comment concerned Fincher's quest to go down in history as the King of Low-Light Moviemaking.
post #73 of 493
Yeah, which is a disaster today in the era of leaving 3D lenses on projectors for 2D films and lowering the light by 85%!
post #74 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Yeah, which is a disaster today in the era of leaving 3D lenses on projectors for 2D films and lowering the light by 85%!

Yup!
post #75 of 493
Here's another version of the poster with the strategic lettering removed. Rooney's piercings obvious...ouch. Scroll down.

http://collider.com/three-musketeers...-poster/95353/
post #76 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Here's another version of the poster with the strategic lettering removed. Rooney's piercings obvious...ouch. Scroll down.

http://collider.com/three-musketeers...-poster/95353/

The first difference I saw in that pic was a 12.2011 version, not 12-21-2011. The second thing – this poster location is .net, not .com., like the other. This is a British poster. The third thing – they could pass as father and daughter. Other than that...

post #77 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

The first difference I saw in that pic was a 12.2011 version, not 12-21-2011. The second thing - this poster location is .net, not .com., like the other. This is a British poster. The third thing - they could pass as father and daughter. Other than that...


Yep, it's the Euro poster and supposedly Finscher's design and favorite. If he wanted buzz, he's got it since there are alot of fans objecting to "sexing up" Salander as being totally out of character {not to mention objectifying her). That being so, is he going to fundamentally change her portrayal? This would piss alot of fans off. Personally, I just think he wants the buzz.
post #78 of 493
Mmmm... In the books, Lisbeth enjoys sex in a few different ways, and not so much in other ways. That said, she gets naked more than once in the books.....
post #79 of 493
She gets naked a lot and has plenty of sex. I find nothing wrong with the poster. She is a sexual woman.
post #80 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Mmmm... In the books, Lisbeth enjoys sex in a few different ways, and not so much in other ways. That said, she gets naked more than once in the books.....

This is what I’ve been thinking. First, you have Salander’s legal guardian – even though they are sadistic; those are highly charged sexual encounters. Second, IIRC, you don’t have as much bisexual sex in the first movie as in the second one, but it’s there. Lastly, you have a 24 year old having sex with a much older man, and the combination of those can tantalize the mind of many people. So when I stop and think about it, the movie is more sexually charged than I initially gave it credit for. I think Salander brings a certain kind of fantasy to the film, and that can be very appealing to a lot of men.
post #81 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

This is what I've been thinking. First, you have Salander's legal guardian - even thought they are sadistic; those are highly charged sexual encounters. Second, IIRC, you don't have as much bisexual sex in the first movie as in the second one, but it's there. Lastly, you have a 24 year old having sex with a much older man, and the combination of those can tantalize the mind of many people. So when I stop and think about it, the movie is more sexually charged than I initially gave it credit for. I think Salander brings a certain kind of fantasy to the film, and that can be very appealing to a lot of men.

That may be so...same goes for Blomqvist, but this character is not even close to being defined as sexy. She gets horny, she has sex with an agreeable partner. However, she has a physical self image problem. Doesn't consider herself attractive...made steps to further ostracize her from mainstream. The tatoos and the piercings are a sign of rebellion from her life condition. The pain, a way to remind herself that she's strong enough to endure and eventually conquerr. What your left with isn't an exhibitionist, but a character that's saying fu to the world and you'd better like it...or else.

The poster, IMO, is just a hook to get audiences intrigued that aren't familiar with the material. The fans that know the character think it's misleading and cheapening of a well liked kickass and tough little lady.
post #82 of 493
I guess that I just don't agree. I know the character very well, you can be tough and sexy at the same time. Blomqvist certainly thinks so......
post #83 of 493
post #84 of 493
Quote:

thanks keenan, thats it exactly. Of course Lisbeth is sexy. But its on her own terms, not some conventional hollywood defination of sexy. Hopefully the poster is marketing only and has no connection to her portrayal in the film.
post #85 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Came across this today...

I agree with his comments 100%.
post #86 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

thanks keenan, thats it exactly. Of course Lisbeth is sexy. But its on her own terms, not some conventional hollywood defination of sexy. Hopefully the poster is marketing only and has no connection to her portrayal in the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

I agree with his comments 100%.

Yup, so do I.
post #87 of 493
Me 3
post #88 of 493
Make it quatro.
post #89 of 493
OK, Cinco. When you're right, so right..
post #90 of 493
It's Hollywood's culture.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (remake)