or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Lonely Green Chair Theater...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Lonely Green Chair Theater...

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
So, I feel its time...here is my little slice of the home theater world...


{The Lonely Green Chair Theater}

14' Wide x 22'6 Deep(to the false wall) x 7'11 Height

5/8" Drywall on all of the walls...
Ceiling is an array of fabric frames..
Floor Joists and Riser all have Safe'n Sound in them sorry no sand...
LCR's are behind the false wall covered in velvet and that void is lined with Linacoustic Duct Liner top, bottom, sides & back.

Equipment...

AVR:: Sherwood Newcastle R-774
Projector:: Panasonic ae4000-u
Speakers:: Episode HT 750 LCR - and Episode HT 525SR (no sub or rears yet)
Inputs:: Sony Blu-Ray, Wii, VCR for the fun of it.
Screen:: Dragon Fly Acoustically Transparent 120" 16:9
Snap AV Strong Rack and Projector Mount
Mono-price cabling (Speaker, HDMI, Sub)

Complete DIY with the exception of carpet...

The obligatory blue tape...







@ 95% Complete











Obviously there are things that aren't done...paint touch ups, finish trim caps, faux rock on the poured concrete walls, seating and swinging doors. My 2yr olds rooms is right above the theater and sound travel hasn't been an issue but there is no sub at this point.

Thanks to everyone...for all of the advice, justification, knowledge and pictures...
post #2 of 36
Very apt thread title... Nice!
post #3 of 36
I'm not sure about the green!?! on the walls, but I love the room. Very nice job on everything.
post #4 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert2011 View Post

I'm not sure about the green!?! on the walls, but I love the room. Very nice job on everything.

I will have to get closer picture of the walls...They are actually striped, with a striation technique.
post #5 of 36
the lime green doesn't do it for me personally, but it sure is a nice room, great looking job!
post #6 of 36
I love the color.

A nice change from blacks browns and reds.
post #7 of 36
Nice room, the color definitely brings a reaction. Personally I would paint the wall and have the carpet dyed.

post #8 of 36
Nice room! I didn't like the color at first, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. I think with the right color seating it will look really nice. And, as mentioned previously, it's a nice change from the usual HT color palette.
post #9 of 36
Thread Starter 
So, I changed the white balance on the camera to get a truer representation of the carpet and walls.

Striation on the walls...




Carpet...







post #10 of 36
I like the carpet a little better now.
post #11 of 36
Wow, the camera settings made a huge difference. I like it much better now as well!
post #12 of 36
nice place in here!

Hope you plan to keep that little chair, couple years from now someone Is gonna ask where's the little green chair
post #13 of 36
Thread Starter 
The new photos do express the look a lot better. And the green chair will be a fixture in the room indefinitely it's my little girls.
post #14 of 36
Love the room, color is great!
post #15 of 36
Great looking theater. So you used the triple black velvet on your screen wall?

Did you have any issues in doing so. I've got a coupon for 50% off at Jo Anns and they have something very similar to the syfabrics triple black....Im thinking of using it for the screen wall and all my curtains. (i need lots)

It looks super black in the your photos. Just curious as to any issues with the real world application.
post #16 of 36
this room looks awesome.
post #17 of 36
can I have more info on the ceiling?

I am looking for ideas

thanks
post #18 of 36
LOL At first I thought the chair was a full sized chair...I was going to ask why you made a three foot tall riser!
post #19 of 36
Did you install any absorption on the walls? It looks to me like you've got drywall (green) and wood (black). Did I miss a post? Is there any absorption on the screen wall?

I think the theatre looks great. Kudos!

edit: I see that you used Linacoustic on the screen wall. I should learn to read!
post #20 of 36
Great room! I actually dig the colors. You've done a nice job so far.
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post
Did you install any absorption on the walls? It looks to me like you've got drywall (green) and wood (black). Did I miss a post? Is there any absorption on the screen wall?

I think the theatre looks great. Kudos!

edit: I see that you used Linacoustic on the screen wall. I should learn to read!
People from NC can't READ!
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
People from NC can't READ!
Hey, I'm from SC! But we still done can't read too good.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post
Hey, I'm from SC! But we still done can't read too good.
I was just pickin' I'm from Wilmingtonish I didn't mean it......
post #24 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

Great looking theater. So you used the triple black velvet on your screen wall?

Did you have any issues in doing so. I've got a coupon for 50% off at Jo Anns and they have something very similar to the syfabrics triple black....Im thinking of using it for the screen wall and all my curtains. (i need lots)

It looks super black in the your photos. Just curious as to any issues with the real world application.



No, it was really pretty easy to work with...velvet fabric has about zero stretch so you want to pay attention and keep the fabric tight...and invest in an air stapler...life-saver.
post #25 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by White fish View Post

can I have more info on the ceiling?

I am looking for ideas

thanks

The ceiling is basically custom fabric frames made from furring strips using butt joinery and pocket screws...the fabric is i used had some stretch to it and was very easy to work with...just pay attention that you realize the front side and back side of the fabric...its harder then I thought when you are working with black...it is all attached to the wooden floor joists via 18ga finish nails.
post #26 of 36
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all of the "likes" on the colors, it really has been a fun build, cant wait to finish it up...
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithunter View Post

No, it was really pretty easy to work with...velvet fabric has about zero stretch so you want to pay attention and keep the fabric tight...and invest in an air stapler...life-saver.

Excellent. Thats what i wasnted to hear. Ive got an electric stapler already that works great for things like that. I did my screen too, the fabric had some stretch but not much, and it turned out OK, so I should be good to go...Just gotta get the stuff ordered!

Yay!
post #28 of 36
thanks for the info on the ceilling
but I want more haha
do you have insulation above?
is the sound "too dead"?
how did you get the pot lights in there?
any better/more pics on the ceiling?

or PM me
thanks
post #29 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by White fish View Post

thanks for the info on the ceilling
but I want more haha
do you have insulation above?
is the sound "too dead"?
how did you get the pot lights in there?
any better/more pics on the ceiling?

or PM me
thanks

I will try and get you better pics in the next few days. For the cans I cut 3/4 OSB and wrapped fabric around it and fit it all under the can. Above the frames between the floor joists is roxul safen sound.
post #30 of 36
Thread Starter 
Talk about embarrassed...I think I "Loganed" my own thread...below are some additional images of my fabric frames...I didnt get real crazy or detailed with them just but joints, square edges and pocket screws...barring any more crazy lighting strikes at work I should be a little more prompt with answers or comments...





New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Lonely Green Chair Theater...