or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Lav Madvr guide??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lav Madvr guide?? - Page 2

post #31 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

seems good to me, eh?

Yeah, you don't have madvr activated. You need to go to options- external filters- add madvr to the list and set to prefer. Then go to options- output (i think, im not in front of pc, but somthimg like that)and select madvr
post #32 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Yeah, you don't have madvr activated. You need to go to options- external filters- add madvr to the list and set to prefer. Then go to options- output (i think, im not in front of pc, but somthimg like that)and select madvr

Don't even need to add it to external filters, just install it, then go to Output and select it (as you said).
post #33 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianley View Post


Don't even need to add it to external filters, just install it, then go to Output and select it (as you said).

I always do both, are you sure it's actually being used if you just mark it in output though?
post #34 of 581
It appears in the list when I right click and choose Filters, plus I see the "Exclusive" and "Windowed" messages in the upper left corner when using it and changing from full screen to window.

Ultimately I can't imagine there's any harm in adding in External filters
post #35 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianley View Post

It appears in the list when I right click and choose Filters, plus I see the "Exclusive" and "Windowed" messages in the upper left corner when using it and changing from full screen to window.

Ultimately I can't imagine there's any harm in adding in External filters

If I were to do it I'd check in graph studio to make sure. Have you used that?
post #36 of 581
Yes. Here's the usage section from the MadVR readme.txt:

USAGE
----------------------------------------------------------------------
use MPC HC or any other media player which supports madVR select madVR as the preferred renderer in the media player's settings



Doesn't mention having to add it to external filters. Again I doubt it hurts, but don't believe its necessary.
post #37 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post

Video levels 0-255
Enable 3DLUT
Chroma upscaling Catmull-Rom
Luma upscaling Softcubic@50 sharpmess
Luma downscaling Softcubic@50sharpness

Here is comparison of the scaling algorithms written by Don Munsil
with comments by Stacey Spears, 2 leading experts
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...&&#post4767386

You will need yCms to generate the 280Mb 3d LUT table
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154719

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...19&postcount=2

Put the generated files in the madVR directory

Thanks. That first link you provided was very informative. Clearly Don Munsil favors Catmull-Rom. Dumb question, but why do you use different algorithms for Chroma vs. Luma?

Munsil also talks about Catmull-Rom + sharpening at the display level. Do you do anything like this?
post #38 of 581
if i wasn't doin 64bit i'd use it
post #39 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

if i wasn't doin 64bit i'd use it

Isn't there a 32 bit version of the player your using?
post #40 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Isn't there a 32 bit version of the player your using?

I don't think Madvr has a 64 bit version from what I have read.
post #41 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post


I don't think Madvr has a 64 bit version from what I have read.

No there isn't, that's why I was asking him if and why he just dosnt use a 32 bit player of the player he uses so he can also use the 32 madvr- folla
post #42 of 581
guess i don't see the need to add yet another issue. then i'd have to reinstall lav 32 bit, remove lav 64bit, remove mpchc64, install mpchc32.. yadda yadda. maybe i will if i get bored
post #43 of 581
for the sake of insanity.. i installed lav 32, mpchc 32, extracted madvr to file structure, ran install.bat as admin, and theres still no madvr stuff in mpchc32
post #44 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

for the sake of insanity.. i installed lav 32, mpchc 32, extracted madvr to file structure, ran install.bat as admin, and theres still no madvr stuff in mpchc32

For me the process is very quick, in fact quicker than when I was using shark007.

- Install LAVFilters - x86 + x64, single installer for both
- Install ffdshow x86 - during install set ffdshow to handle vc-1
- Install madvr

Then I use the portable version of mpc-hc, so that I can just to xcopy updates to synchronize multiple machines.
post #45 of 581
For those who have trouble setting up filters to properly play HD video files with DTS MA or TrueHD, the latest J. River Media Center (version 16.0.101) has an automatic setup setting called Red October that will dowload and use a set of whitelisted filters to best play back your video. If you select Red October for fast computers this includes MadVR, as well as LAV splitter. I suspect it will also use LAV Audio sometime soon, and I think LAV CUVID is supported. You don't have to download or register anything, and the filters are not registered and can't screw up your system.

I've used J. River Media Center for years becuase of how it handles audio-only files. I use WASAPI mode on the HDMI connection to play my FLAC files, including multichannel FLAC files. Now I can also bitstream lossless audio on video files.

The only negatives are that you have to buy the program and that it has a fairly nonstandard way of using movie and TV show metadata.
post #46 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk79 View Post

For me the process is very quick, in fact quicker than when I was using shark007.

- Install LAVFilters - x86 + x64, single installer for both
- Install ffdshow x86 - during install set ffdshow to handle vc-1
- Install madvr

Then I use the portable version of mpc-hc, so that I can just to xcopy updates to synchronize multiple machines.

Why ffdshow for vc1? I use the mpc video decoder for that without problems.
post #47 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

Why ffdshow for vc1? I use the mpc video decoder for that without problems.

Yea I suppose it's time for me to re-evaluate that. It was mainly for simplicity that I opted to have ffdshow handle everything, but I should probably think about mpc-hc for vc-1 as well as lav for audio.
post #48 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

I do think that ffdshow is a lost cause, no developers and lingering bugs that noone will ever fix. However, there currently is no other solution that just plays most formats around.

What do you think of CoreAvc for h264? (Ignoring cost).
post #49 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

For those who have trouble setting up filters to properly play HD video files with DTS MA or TrueHD, the latest J. River Media Center (version 16.0.101) has an automatic setup setting called Red October that will dowload and use a set of whitelisted filters to best play back your video. If you select Red October for fast computers this includes MadVR, as well as LAV splitter. I suspect it will also use LAV Audio sometime soon, and I think LAV CUVID is supported. You don't have to download or register anything, and the filters are not registered and can't screw up your system.

I've used J. River Media Center for years becuase of how it handles audio-only files. I use WASAPI mode on the HDMI connection to play my FLAC files, including multichannel FLAC files. Now I can also bitstream lossless audio on video files.

The only negatives are that you have to buy the program and that it has a fairly nonstandard way of using movie and TV show metadata.

Can you still add lav audio and cuvid to red October if you want to?
post #50 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk79 View Post

Thanks. That first link you provided was very informative. Clearly Don Munsil favors Catmull-Rom. Dumb question, but why do you use different algorithms for Chroma vs. Luma?

Munsil also talks about Catmull-Rom + sharpening at the display level. Do you do anything like this?

Catmull-Rom is a very popular algorithm and its principal advantage is
in upscaling which is why I chose it for the chroma channel.

It downside is ringing in the image, which less noticeable on the chroma channel,
in exchange it improves the contrast or the "pop" factor making
colors more vibrant restoring some of the life to the HDR stuff.

Bicubic is a good overall filter and the MadVR implementation allows
for the adjustment of the sharpness. The separate approach that
Munsil talks about is a very high end implementation.

The link below shows you the effect of various filters. Go the end of the page
with the spheres. There is also a good explanation of the effects of ringing
somewhere in the middle of the page.
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...ge_sampler.htm
post #51 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post

Catmull-Rom is a very popular algorithm and its principal advantage is
in upscaling which is why I chose it for the chroma channel.

It downside is ringing in the image, which less noticeable on the chroma channel,
in exchange it improves the contrast or the "pop" factor making
colors more vibrant restoring some of the life to the HDR stuff.

Bicubic is a good overall filter and the MadVR implementation allows
for the adjustment of the sharpness. The separate approach that
Munsil talks about is a very high end implementation.

The link below shows you the effect of various filters. Go the end of the page
with the spheres. There is also a good explanation of the effects of ringing
somewhere in the middle of the page.
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...ge_sampler.htm

Thanks I'll start reading!

I'm still curious on luma vs chroma though. I guess I just don't understand when each of them comes into play, and why a different algorithm would be better for one and not the other.
post #52 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk79 View Post

Thanks I'll start reading!

I'm still curious on luma vs chroma though. I guess I just don't understand when each of them comes into play, and why a different algorithm would be better for one and not the other.

Start simple. Softcubic on MadVR produces a pleasing image and there
is a sharpness knob you can play with. After that substitute the chroma
scaling and see what you like.

Catmull-Rom, Mitchell-Netravali and Spline is one group and
Lanczos is the other with cubic in the middle.

The Chronicles of Riddick is a good movie to experiment with the effects
of the various algorithms that MadVR provides.

Luminance and Chrominance are vastly different creatures. The former
is the reference intensity of one of the primary color signals and chrominance
is a pair of values containing the relative intensities of the other
2 primary colors, the color difference signal.

In simple terms the Luma channel needs a good 1D reconstruction filter and
chroma needs one that works well in 2D. Mitchell-Netravali and
its derivitive Catmull-Rom was originally designed as a 2D image reconstruction filters

If you are interested in how the information is encoded in video look
at the link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV
post #53 of 581
on an easier note, any know why madvr won't show up after loading it?
post #54 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

on an easier note, any know why madvr won't show up after loading it?

Are you using it with mpchc 64 bit?
post #55 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

on an easier note, any know why madvr won't show up after loading it?

I use MPC-HC from here
http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player...inema-x86-x64/

If you are using Win7 install MadVR from the command window running as Administrator
post #56 of 581
Is there anything special that I need to do to get subtitles working when using madvr? On a recent blu ray (native, no rip) I noticed that the subtitles would not show up. This wasn't using lavsplitter, lav audio, and MPC for video. When I switched the renderer to EVR instead the subtitles would display as expected.
post #57 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

Is there anything special that I need to do to get subtitles working when using madvr? On a recent blu ray (native, no rip) I noticed that the subtitles would not show up. This wasn't using lavsplitter, lav audio, and MPC for video. When I switched the renderer to EVR instead the subtitles would display as expected.

The later versions of MPC-HC is required for MadVR to display subtitles.

You can get it from the link I posted above and update MadVR to 0.61 if
you don't have it.
post #58 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

on an easier note, any know why madvr won't show up after loading it?

You need to make sure you have the 32 bit version(x86) of mpc along with your 32 bit madvr. It probably didn't show because you were using 64 bit mpc
post #59 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

You need to make sure you have the 32 bit version(x86) of mpc along with your 32 bit madvr. It probably didn't show because you were using 64 bit mpc

it's 32bit.
post #60 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post


it's 32bit.

It's still not showing up? Its not listed under options-output or options-external filters?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Lav Madvr guide??