or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Tech Talk › Monoprice 3d creator
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Monoprice 3d creator

post #1 of 349
Thread Starter 
What do you think of this box

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It seems like the 3d converter built onto samsungs. Probably a clone of
this.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/08/v...o-3d-hands-on/
post #2 of 349
Those conversions are not the same as real time full resolution 2d to 3d conversion like all sets that have it built in do. For $99 dollars it might be worth it though, if your set doesn't already do it.
post #3 of 349
Are any of the 2d to 3d conversions any good? Of course I'm not expecting it to be as good as something shot in 3d. If they keep it interesting, for 99 bucks I'll pick this up to use with my VIP theatre.
post #4 of 349
The LG passive sets conversion is good.
post #5 of 349
Well whose going to be the guinea pig?
post #6 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

Well whose going to be the guinea pig?

I think Monoprice should send us out a sample to test drive.
post #7 of 349
Automatic conversion is garbage. Even Hollywood movies with dozens of professional artists meticulously converting each frame by hand for months, can barely do a decent job. What makes you think some magic black-box is going to do better in real-time?
post #8 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereality View Post

Automatic conversion is garbage. Even Hollywood movies with dozens of professional artists meticulously converting each frame by hand for months, can barely do a decent job. What makes you think some magic black-box is going to do better in real-time?

Don't burst our bubble. Next you will be telling us that girls are not really sugar and spice and all that is nice.
post #9 of 349
Will be interesting to see how effective the monoprice unit is (limited to 720p 3d output formats) and hopefully can at least stand it's own with the built-in conversion functions of the 3D flat panels. At $99 it severely undercuts the other real-time consumer pieces (http://www.videoefx.com/ & www.3D-Bee.com) which are forthcoming. One novel feature is that the monoprice HD3D (wonder if it uses AMD HD3D technology?) will output anaglyph red/cyan! Sure it's quite cheesy but all the 2D display folks can now re-live the 50s 3d craze with any movie/source.
post #10 of 349
Interesting that one of the output formats is listed as "Chequer Board Encoding ( Left-Blue / Right-Red )". Is this checkerboard, anaglyph, or some sort of hybrid?
post #11 of 349
Hey guys,

John here, I was actually able to see this 3D creator in action and it does a fairly decent job. Of course not exactly a true replacement, but if you're wanting to get 3D on the cheap, I think it's a great choice.

If you guys have any questions for it, I can certainly obtain the answers and will give you guys updates. Thanks!

John Lingo
Tech Support
Monoprice.com
post #12 of 349
Can it be used with a 2D TV? What kind of glasses and emitter does it need/use?
post #13 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Can it be used with a 2D TV...

No.
post #14 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

No.

Your no needs to be qualified. It can't be used with shutter glasses but with Red/Cayan glasses o a 2D TV according to ad.
post #15 of 349
Exactly. It outputs anaglyph which can be displayed on a non 3d tv
post #16 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

Your no needs to be qualified. It can't be used with shutter glasses but with Red/Cayan glasses o a 2D TV according to ad.

Sorry, but I guess I didn't consider the poster might be asking about 1950's anaglyph tech (does anyone really sit at home and watch this). In that case yes but what is the emitter he is asking about?

EDIT: after reading product description anaglyph is promoted as one of the main features. Strange but I guess it is to give a (bad) tast of 3D to anyone. Even stranger that it doesn't come with anaglyph glasses. I guess you have to cut them off the back of a cereal box.
post #17 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Sorry, but I guess I didn't consider the poster might be asking about 1950's anaglyph tech (does anyone really sit at home and watch this). In that case yes but what is the emitter he is asking about?

EDIT: after reading product description anaglyph is promoted as one of the main features. Strange but I guess it is to give a (bad) tast of 3D to anyone. Even stranger that it doesn't come with anaglyph glasses. I guess you have to cut them off the back of a cereal box.

isn't infitec a modern version of anaglyph? one thing anaglyph has going for it is simplicity compared to what is available today. I found the one Coriline movie quite good as an anaglyph movie.
post #18 of 349
Looks like it comes with 2 pairs of anaglyph glasses and they are plastic similar to sunglasses not the paper.

That said... I find the paper glasses reduce brightness less. iparty chain stores sell paper anaglyph glasses for $0.99 if you ever need some.

And... I, personally, never want to see anaglyph again.

Of course,... This outputs with other options like frame packed and side by side so if you don't "need" the anaglyph it has other options.

-Brian
post #19 of 349
If you are color blind its fine! I don't care for the 2 color 3D.
post #20 of 349
Has anyone seen Dolby 3D? this is purported to be super analglyph.
post #21 of 349
yes, this is a software that uses 2D to anaglyph red-cyan conversion that I came across in 3D Video Converter also. I use this software for my home theater, because it's good and rather cheap. But anyway, Monoprice is also very good option.
post #22 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bakers View Post
yes, this is a software that uses 2D to anaglyph red-cyan conversion that I came across in 3D Video Converter also. I use this software for my home theater, because it's good and rather cheap. But anyway, Monoprice is also very good option.
How long does it take to render a movie? Also have you auditioned the Monoprice unit?
post #23 of 349
Could this be used with DirecTV and/or Blu-Ray player?
post #24 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Sorry, but I guess I didn't consider the poster might be asking about 1950's anaglyph tech (does anyone really sit at home and watch this).D
Anaglyph wasn't used in the 1950's 3-D movies, they were projected using polarized light and glasses in theaters. We did however, watch bad anaglyph conversions of some of these on TV in the 1980s....
post #25 of 349
Does anybody know if this box would work as a cheaper alternative to the 3d-xl or one of the VIP products if all I wanted to do was watch side-by-side MKV files on my optoma gt700 through a media player (WDTV live)??

Am I being clear enough? I hope
post #26 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix09 View Post

Does anybody know if this box would work as a cheaper alternative to the 3d-xl or one of the VIP products if all I wanted to do was watch side-by-side MKV files on my optoma gt700 through a media player (WDTV live)??

Am I being clear enough? I hope

This converts 2D into 3D. Then you need a 3D TV or the VIP or 3D-xl to convert it so a 3D ready TV will display it.
post #27 of 349
Let me know when it does 1080.
post #28 of 349
I might get one of these so I can calibrate while in 3D on my projector!
post #29 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

I might get one of these so I can calibrate while in 3D on my projector!

I've been toying with getting one out of curiosity.
post #30 of 349
I've had this unit for a few days and have played with various configurations, including incorporating the VIP Theatre downstream from the Creator using its SBS 3D mode. With the hardware listed in my sig, I've seen respectable 3D results from several 2D animated features (Ice Age 3, Toy Story 2) using the mid-range setting for L-R image disparity. Live action video/film results are a bit more problematic, as the algorithm employed by the Creator generally follows the rule that any object appearing high or low vertically in the frame is placed forward of the major visual plane (aka, the plane of the screen), while objects occupying the center third of the screen appear to be either in-plane or slightly behind the plane of the screen.

While I agree with previous posts that no chipset can produce the dramatic results of an Avatar or HTTYD properly displayed, for less than the cost of 3 mediocre 3D films, with a bit of tweaking, you can enjoy a larger library of 3D movies utilizing your existing titles.

Until Hollywood, et. al. provides "true" 3D en mas, this unit and others like it will offer a reasonable facsimile, and allow those of us fortunate enough to have 3D hardware to expand our meager libraries of 3D software at minimal cost.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Tech Talk
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Tech Talk › Monoprice 3d creator