1. Model PR-SC5508
2. Purchase Date or approximate date March 3rd, 2011
3. Place where purchased: 6th Ave.
4. First symptom to appear: stopped accepting remote instructions
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? 4 months
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? started intermittent then consistent
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing? all listed
*Unit does not respond to remote commands.
*Unit does not respond to front panel input commands.
*Unit cycles randomly and rapidly through input modes.
*Unit does not respond to power button - must unplug to turn off.
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?
First time I called, csr had me unplug it and of course that didn't fix the problem. Finally, he sent me a box. I waited over 2 weeks, no box arrived, so I called back. Luckily I got the same csr and he apologized, couldn't figure out what the problem was, but sent another box, this one I got.
Just today I get an email from my service center (which is in Michigan, I live in Arkansas) saying they've been observing my unit for 3 days now and haven't seen a single problem, and they asked me if I had ever unplugged it then plugged it back in to see if the problems went away.
I'm so frustrated!! I linked them to this thread and to Onkyo's own press release, saying THESE are the problems I'm having, please fix it! I guess if they don't see anything they'll just ship it back.
I hate to just cut my losses and buy something else, but that may be what I do. One thing is for certain: I'm never buying another Onkyo product again, ever, and will steer everyone I can away from them.