So I think there are two common types of failures associated with the xx08 series:
1) IDE cable / 'Listening mode' issue
2) HDMI board failure (no audio, firmware/network options greyed out)
The former was the subject of the Onkyo press release
, and for which they've agreed to handle service out of warranty.
Onkyo has not, AFAIK, made a public commitment to handle the second issue out of warranty. What I have seen, however, is a willingness to cover this issue out of warranty as a 'one-time' event (YMMV). Onkyo service claims the HDMI board has been redesigned, but I don't know when that redesign took place, whether this newly 'redesigned' part actually fixes the problem, etc so no telling whether a one time repair is sufficient.
I had a PR-SC5508 which suffered from the 'Listening mode' issue in the first month of usage. My dealer agreed to replace it. My replacement PR-SC5508 failed with the 'No Audio' issue after about 16 months of usage. It's been out of commission for over three weeks while I've been negotiating the customer service process at Onkyo to get it RMA'd (tried to get through by phone but gave up after multiple attempts and long waits, then posted on their support forum where I was redirected to email, then emailing support with multiday round trips). I just sent it off yesterday to the regional service center. I spoke to them on the phone and they said to expect a three week turnaround time because they're backlogged and they would need to order the HDMI board.
Onkyo support claimed (based upon serial # lookup) that my second unit does not suffer from issue #1. Of course, they said that about my first unit (also based upon serial # lookup), and it did in fact display that problem less than 1 month after they told me that. That said, I presume they know much more about the extent of the problem now than they did 16 months ago, and quite a bit of time has elapsed since this unit was first put into service. So I am optimistic. Unfortunately, as a result of that assessment, the service center will not proactively perform the IDE cable fix while it's in for the HDMI board repair. I hope their assessment is correct.
1. Model: PR-SC5508
2. Purchase Date: Nov 2011
3. Purchased from: ABT Electronics
4. First symptom to appear: No Audio
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared?: 16 months
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent?: Intermittent to Consistent within the space of a week
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing?: No Audio / Greyed out Network and Firmware
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?: Haven't heard an official diagnosis from the service center (yet), but from discussion on this thread it sounds like an HDMI board failure
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear?: Not applicable (yet)Edited by js19707 - 4/30/13 at 10:46pm