or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 42

post #1231 of 1868
Thread Starter 
If you are located in N.A., the larger Mins don't include a horizontal grill. You would need to contact either the dealer where you're buying them, or the distributor after the sale with proof of purchase, and they will send you the grill. I prefer the larger Mins horizontally.

As for the difference in the models, see here and Post #484 below it.
Edited by Perpendicular - 4/10/13 at 5:50pm
post #1232 of 1868
Thanks guys for your response.

Do you think I should do a min21 horizontal. With a min11 left and right? Or do you think I would be fine with 3 min11's?

I havent heard these speakers but from what I read they seem pretty good for my size constraints.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
post #1233 of 1868
Thread Starter 
I have no comment since I've never heard the Min 11 or 21 models.

Sent from my Laptop while sitting on the Throne. tongue.gif
post #1234 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmoney13 View Post

Thanks guys for your response.

Do you think I should do a min21 horizontal. With a min11 left and right? Or do you think I would be fine with 3 min11's?

I havent heard these speakers but from what I read they seem pretty good for my size constraints.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hi,

If your budget allows for it, I would assume that a Min 21 for the centre would be a better option since the centre channel is deemed quite important. You can always upgrade the L&R Min11's at a later date if you feel the need & only have to then purchase two instead of three.

Bazzy!
post #1235 of 1868
Thanks for your response Bazzy.

I think I may just go for two min11's and a min21 (center channel) at this point. Trust me I would love to spend the money.

Sidenote: does anyone know the process of going about grabbing a new horizontal grill for the min21? Or do they come with both? Thanks in advance. Once I get these I am sure that I will be reaching out about how to setup my receiver. You all are the best. Such a great community.
post #1236 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmoney13 View Post

Sidenote: does anyone know the process of going about grabbing a new horizontal grill for the min21? Or do they come with both?

They come with just one. There is a form that you can fill out on the CA website. I remember having to poke around a bit to find it. You need to provide the S/N of your Min 21. Once you submit, there is a message indicating that it can take up to 28 days to receive it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

If you are located in N.A., the larger Mins don't include a horizontal grill.

True, if you buy them a la carte. If you buy a 5-pack with subwoofer, one will have the horizontal grille. This doesn't apply to kcmoney's situation, but wanted to clarify for those who might want to buy a system.

BTW, I have my system up and running. It's a totally new installation (TV, AVR, Surround Sound, Blu-Ray, Roku, Apple TV) with a few existing items (XBOX, Wii), so I have lots to play with and lots of manuals to peruse.
I'll report back and maybe post pictures when I come up for air.

-John
post #1237 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Thanks for you and kc (per PM) reminding me that the horizontal grill is included when a 5.1 system is purchased.

I have good news! I just received my May issue of Home Theater Magazine and it contains a review of a Minx S325v2 with measurements. When they Post it to their Website, I will Post it on the first page of this Thread.
post #1238 of 1868
Hi, I live in the UK and I am considering some minx speakers so would appreciate some advice. I live in a terraced house with a lounge diner aprox 20 foot square. I am not really an audio file so I am not looking for something that would boom boom shake the room. My TV is a 32 inch Panasonic LCD which the speakers have just stated to distort. The TV is not the focal point of the room so the options are a sound bar or small speakers. I listen to streamed music via spotify via my PC, have an Xbox and a cable box and a dvd player which also is due for replacement.

My initial thoughts are with the funds that are available at the moment to get a Denon 1713 AV receiver with a pair of minx min 21 speakers, however I am not too sure which size sub to get. Also I would like to know how the speakers perform at low volumes so as not to disturb my neighbours or if I just want streamed music on whilst reading. When funds allow I get the centre and if need the rears. Advice appreciated.

Bob
post #1239 of 1868
I just ordered the Minx S325v2 5.1 system. Can the Minx 21's work with a 6ohm rated amp without any damage or effects to the speakers? Also does anyone know if the Cambridge S50 center speaker is matched to the Minx21's or at least close so they can be used together?
post #1240 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I have good news! I just received my May issue of Home Theater Magazine and it contains a review of a Minx S325v2 with measurements. When they Post it to their Website, I will Post it on the first page of this Thread.
Finally! I sent them an email, well several, when the v2 of the minx came available in the US. I asked if a review could be done since they were so enamored with the v1's. Hopefully I will get my copy in the mail today. Thanks for the heads-up Perpendicular.
post #1241 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmoney13 View Post

Thanks for your response Bazzy.

I think I may just go for two min11's and a min21 (center channel) at this point. Trust me I would love to spend the money.

Sidenote: does anyone know the process of going about grabbing a new horizontal grill for the min21? Or do they come with both? Thanks in advance. Once I get these I am sure that I will be reaching out about how to setup my receiver. You all are the best. Such a great community.
I would highly recommend you get a sub with the minx. From your specs the X200 should work well and pairs with the min11's x 2, min21 x1 nicely. Just MHO.

Not sure if anyone knows but didn't CA offer 3.1 min set-up's?
post #1242 of 1868
Thanks MacnThornens for your suggestions. I forgot to mention that I already had a receiver and and sub that I will be matching these with.

Also the house that we bought already had speakers in the ceiling for the rears. I get these on Saturday so I am excited.
post #1243 of 1868
hey guys, i know i have asked this question before, but this time is going to become real, so i would like to hear your thoughts again.

i want to go and buy 2x Minx 11 on Tuesday. I will use them as surround back for my 7.2 system. Just to remind you of my system.

B&W 603 S2 Fronts
B&W 600 LCR S3 Center
B&W LM1 Surround Rear
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Logitech z-5500 Sub (no comments on this smile.gif )

Will those two Minx 11 be able to satisfy me? Yes i know about the frequency and about the 140Hz which my receiver can set separately from the other speakers. Are they good enough for what i want them for or i am just going to throw away 150 euros? I will try to place them 2-3 meters behind me, on the ceiling which is 2 meters high almost.

i would like to know what would be the ideal distance between them (between SR Left and SR Right), and at what angle i should place them behind me. I can only guess what the best place should be by looking at my space.

Thanks
Ted
post #1244 of 1868
Thread Starter 
B&W are great speakers. I would stick using that brand and add a couple of M1's if you want to keep your surround back speakers on the small side.
post #1245 of 1868
Yes this is true, B&W are great, but M1s are bigger than the Minx 11, and much more expensive. If you are lucky you will find them at 100 euros as USED, not new. and don't forget that i want to hang them from the ceiling in a 2m height room. i need to be able to walk under them. As you said M1s are smaller than my VM1s (which are pretty good), but still kinda big for the space. the question is, will i throw away money by going the minx way ? smile.gif
post #1246 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

and don't forget that i want to hang them from the ceiling in a 2m height room. the question is, will i throw away money by going the minx way ? smile.gif
I am not an expert on this but I have heard the speakers. I sincerely think that you will not be throwing your money away since your AVR can set the correct frequencies. They are very dynamic speakers and considering all of your constraints I think that will work fine.
post #1247 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I have good news! I just received my May issue of Home Theater Magazine and it contains a review of a Minx S325v2 with measurements. When they Post it to their Website, I will Post it on the first page of this Thread.

Thanks again for not giving any insight to the article as I enjoyed reading it firsthand. I have really been torn between the Minx S325 v2 set up or the Paradigm Milleniaone set up. I was leaning towards the Paradigm but after the review I may have to go with the Minx S325 v2 maybe swapping out the x300 sub with a SVS sub. Especially since I can get the S325 v2 set up locally at an exceptional price.
post #1248 of 1868
Thread Starter 
In their size class, they are a great sounding satellite speaker that do many things well. I was surprised when I read the measurements on this review in HT. I cannot figure out how they could blend with a subwoofer better when their lower end spec is higher than either Min 10 or 20. Maybe, it has better midbass response? Also, compared to the measurements on the Min 10 in the June 2011 issue of HT that shows a peak at approximately 8 kHz, the Min 21 takes a dive at around 10 kHz, shoots back up at 15 kHz and then falls off rapidly again. Compared to the Min 10, the high frequency just starts to drop at 20 kHz. If given a choice, I like the Min 10 response much better. I wonder how much Room Correction could fix with the Min 21 response differences.
Edited by Perpendicular - 4/13/13 at 12:51pm
post #1249 of 1868
but isn't it true that the Min 11 is much better than the min 10? everyone agrees to that until now.

do you have a link for the review?
post #1250 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

but isn't it true that the Min 11 is much better than the min 10? everyone agrees to that until now.

The proof is in the listening. I will say that the Home Theater review is very good. But then again, I noticed the reviewer likes everything he reviews and I see mostly 4-5 stars on performance all the time. Just in case anyone is interested, the review has a 5-star rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

do you have a link for the review?

No. The review has not been Posted to their Website yet and it could take up to two weeks. At least, that is the norm I've been seeing over the past several months. Up to, meaning, they could Post it as early as sometime next week too.
post #1251 of 1868
Received my Minx S325v2 5.1 speakers today. mounting didn't take long as I already had the new Martin Logan motion series mounted up which I wanted to compare the Minx set to. All I can say is this Minx S325v2 system is awesome in sound quality, very detailed and excellent in room filling sound. In the last 2 months I have owned the Energy take classic 5.1 system, Martin logan Motion series including: Motion 4's (front) Motion 2's (rear) Motion 8 center and Dynamo 700 subwoofer and now this Cambridge Minx S325v2 5.1 system. I was waiting for the new Kef E series to come out later this month but after listening to these Cambridge speakers and seeing just how good they look mounted up, I don't think i will bother with the Kef's after all! That's how impressive this little system is. I am running a Yamaha RX-A820 receiver with the sub crossover set at 120 ( the 820 doesn't have a 140 setting, either 120 or 160). System sounded much better at the 120 setting compared to the 160 setting in my room. By the way my room size is about 1600 sq ft and i have the subwoofer sitting in the right front corner of the room. The 325 sub has no problem filling the room with good strong bass for music and movies. The ML Dynamo 700 sub does reach down a little lower but the Cambridge 325 sub seems to produces a good strong tighter bass which i preferred. I only have about 4 hours on these right now so that means there only going to get better with time. Can't wait!
post #1252 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

In their size class, they are a great sounding satellite speaker that do many things well. I was surprised when I read the measurements on this review in HT. I cannot figure out how they could blend with a subwoofer better when their lower end spec is higher than either Min 10 or 20. Maybe, it has better midbass response? Also, compared to the measurements on the Min 10 in the June 2011 issue of HT that shows a peak at approximately 8 kHz, the Min 21 takes a dive at around 10 kHz, shoots back up at 15 kHz and then falls off rapidly again. Compared to the Min 10, the high frequency just starts to drop at 20 kHz. If given a choice, I like the Min 10 response much better. I wonder how much Room Correction could fix with the Min 21 response differences.

Do you know how they measured them. Was it in an anechoic chamber?

In many ways the BMRs are not conventional radiators, with their wide dispersion, and measurements may not tell all.

Waiting for the review!
post #1253 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Congratulations RKSKYDANCER! btw, I've never heard of a 6 ohm AVR. It's probably 6-8 ohms. A lot of receivers had a problem with 4 ohm loads. Most receivers of yesteryear had a switch on the rear panel that you could select the ohm rating. I'm not sure if anybody still uses them or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Do you know how they measured them. Was it in an anechoic chamber?

Yes, and they are measured with the grille in place.
post #1254 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Just in case anyone is interested, the review has a 5-star rating.

I neglected to mention that this rating is for the Min 21 satellites. The X300 received a 4-star rating. A few months ago, Home Theater Mag started to separate their ratings on their satellite and subwoofer reviews.
post #1255 of 1868
thanks for the replies you guys. it seems that everyone agrees that those little speakers really worth their price. Their size is just a big addon for me. i only wish that the inside (if we remove the grill) was white. since perpenticullar said that they sound better without them. i would like to have 100% out of them. i don't know if i can stick white sticker on them out of vinyl (or whatever it is called).

PS. IF anyone of you is interesting into helping me for 10 secs, i would like you to do a FB like on the following link if it is possible. This is about a competition my university is making, and the voting stops on Tuesday. All you have to do is press the big Like button under the big Image (Helpbook) and accept to enter the contest.

http://www.crazybusinessideas.gr/el/crazy-ideas/idea/helpbookgr

Thanks
Ted
post #1256 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

thanks for the replies you guys. it seems that everyone agrees that those little speakers really worth their price. Their size is just a big addon for me. i only wish that the inside (if we remove the grill) was white. since perpenticullar said that they sound better without them. i would like to have 100% out of them. i don't know if i can stick white sticker on them out of vinyl (or whatever it is called).

I would not attempt that Ted since you do not want to cover the BMR itself. That being said you will still have black showing. If your preference is to have the min11's disappear into the cieling then just leave the grills on. IMHO the difference is there but negligible. ???
post #1257 of 1868
we will see smile.gif, if the difference with the grill ON-OFF is that big, i will just take the grills off whenever i want to really enjoy a movie wink.gif
post #1258 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Regarding the grilles (I keep calling it a grill too like I'm going to throw them on the BBQ.) with the newer models, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the v2 design has either a more recessed baffle or redesigned grille to allow for the excursion of the drivers. CA stated that the driver excursion went from 2.2mm to 4mm. Not sure what the dedicated woofer in the Min 21 is. I'm not going to give the review away but I will continue to quote some technical information. The lower driver functions as a long throw woofer in the Min 21 and is limited to frequencies below 500 Hz. Of course, it's a different driver that the main one.
post #1259 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Congratulations RKSKYDANCER! btw, I've never heard of a 6 ohm AVR. It's probably 6-8 ohms. A lot of receivers had a problem with 4 ohm loads. Most receivers of yesteryear had a switch on the rear panel that you could select the ohm rating. I'm not sure if anybody still uses them or not.
Yes, and they are measured with the grille in place.
Thanks! You can switch the impedance on the Yamaha AVR to run either a 8 ohm rated speakers or 6 ohm rated speakers on the front panel. On the 6 ohm setting you can actually connect 4 ohm rated speakers on the front 2 channels without any issue's. Yamaha rates there AVR amps down to 4 ohm loads. That's what I was referring to. I had the receiver set on the 6 ohm rating because the Martin Logans are 4 ohm rated speakers. I just switched the receiver back to the 8 ohm rating before connecting the Cambridge Minx S325's. I was just curious if you could run the Cambridge speakers with the receiver set on 6 ohm impedance. Really liking this Minx S325v2 set up.
post #1260 of 1868
just ordered my Minx 11. I will have them tomorrow. Oh man i really hope they are great. And that they will meet my expectations for my 7.2 system as surround backs.

By the way guys, can anyone help me with the distances? how many meters is the optimal distance to place them behind me? Right now, the optimal place for my space, seems like to be 2 meters behind me (almost same distance between me and my Surround Rears). Also, what is the optimal distance between those two? i haven't figured that yet. I think it will be around 1-1,5m distance between them.

I have seen some pictures from THX, where they say that the speakers should be right next to each other behind me, but i find that thing absolutely stupid. I guess it was for the old 6.1 days and not the 7.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread