or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 46

post #1351 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post

When I set the Minx S325v2 system up I ran my room correction YPAO and was surprised that the Receiver set the crossover at 80Hz with the 5 minx 21's.

I wonder how accurate YPAO is. Do you have your speakers on the wall or on stands?
Seems to be very accurate once you learn a few things about it. The receiver i have now has the advance version with multi postion settings. Speakers are mounted on the wall except the center speaker which sits on top of my TV stand right under the wall mounted TV.
post #1352 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

ok PEOPLE just read all this thread and something really bothers ME !!!

WHY did any of you speak about the Min 21 vs the Monitor audio MASS ???? the new compact MA speakers are probably the best compact - sub 1000 euros - system out there !
AND many many review have already given them the perfect score !!!!! hometheathre might be reviewing them too ( i emaied them but no answer still...)

SO have any of you heard both these systems ???? on avforums in the UK...every single person said that the MASS blow away the Min 21....(let alone the Min 11) i am very interested to hear about it


On a side note...you people always say that speakers NEED tweeters to sound good....does the Min 21 really...avoid needing them than to the sofisticated tech they include ??? confused.gif

thanks in advance...i am really TORN up between the Min 21 and the MASS ( i have a pioneer VSX 521 amp)


Hi,

I have heard the MASS system at a HiFi show & they are very, very impressive indeed so definitely another option to consider. Please bear in mind that they have ports at the rear & the satellites are somewhat bigger than the Min21's.

I would also keep an eye out for the new KEF E Series due for launch soon - I have a feeling they will also receive glowing reviews & receive much praise.

Bazzy!
Edited by Bazzy - 4/25/13 at 6:14am
post #1353 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi,

I have heard the MASS system at a HiFi show & they are very, very impressive indeed so definitely another option to consider. Please bear in mind that they have ports at the rear & the satellites are somewhat bigger than the Min21's.

I would also keep an eye out for the new KEF E Series due for launch soon - I have a feeling they will also receive glowing reviews & receive much praise.

Bazzy!


That is the exact same reaction 99% of people had when they heard the MASS eek.gifeek.gif
That is one hell of a system...even if i do think the Min 21 are very good....i don't think they can be better than MASS

And yes on a side note....the new KEF E305 is probably going to be better than MASS and Min 21....the system is due next week in europe !
post #1354 of 1868
The Mass speakers do have some great reviews.

Another system to look out for is Anthony Gallo's A'Divas,
which use a full-range (usable down to 80 hz) non BMR flat
diaphragm driver.

What's wrong with a little competition?
Edited by taichi4 - 4/25/13 at 8:59am
post #1355 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Since this is the Minx Thread, I'm going to ignore the last several Posts. The Minx speakers are unique in their own way and, in my eyes, have no competition. I've said my peace, now I'm moving on.

I heard back from Ed and it's just what I thought. He stated 120 Hz for the 21 and 140 Hz for the 11. Fortunately, it seems okay to run my Mins at 100 Hz because of my crossover limitation in my Pioneer AVR.
post #1356 of 1868
@PERPENDICULAR :

note taken....did not want to move away from the subject's thread...as we were still talking about the MINX...and the competition....
Anyway good to know that the system can be used with 100hz X-over...as i too have a pioneer !
post #1357 of 1868
Hey I just wanted to thank everyone (especially JEFF!) for the discussions and I did do a little research before deciding on the minx s325 v2 (white) and they should be arriving in my house tonight. I am no audiophile and just wanted something that played good with movies and is small (WAF). I finally got my own house and am using my living room as the HT. Just to give you an idea, my current system is a denon DRA 5XX stereo receiver (1993) coupled with 2 infinity bookshelf speakers (1996). I will be pairing my minx with a new marantz sr5007, so hopefully they will be a very good match. Obviously I had been saving a long time for this system LOL!

I am still waiting for some speaker wires and cables from amazon, so I most likely won't get it going until next week.

BTW if anyone can answer this question, I have a wall mounted 55 inch led TV and is it okay to put the front speakers directly on either end of the TV or do I have to keep them at least 6 feet apart? I ask because the right side of my TV is on the edge of a wall. (yeah my living room is a bit weird shaped.) If I have to I can move the speakers higher to get them 6 or more feet apart.
post #1358 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl206 View Post

BTW if anyone can answer this question, I have a wall mounted 55 inch led TV and is it okay to put the front speakers directly on either end of the TV or do I have to keep them at least 6 feet apart? I ask because the right side of my TV is on the edge of a wall. (yeah my living room is a bit weird shaped.) If I have to I can move the speakers higher to get them 6 or more feet apart.

The beauty of the Minx satellites is that they will work in about any configuration. I've tried them everywhere and they sound good. My favorite place for the three front speakers is on or near wall, between 1-2 feet above the sitting position, pointed down towards ear level.
post #1359 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

@PERPENDICULAR :

note taken....did not want to move away from the subject's thread...as we were still talking about the MINX...and the competition....
Anyway good to know that the system can be used with 100hz X-over...as i too have a pioneer !

Hey, I have no control what others talk about. I just know what I like and owning a satellite speaker that is prone to beaming is out of the question. So, I have no need to discuss the competition but please feel free to do so.
post #1360 of 1868
Thread Starter 
...and for the record, I've never had a problem with Cambridge Audio's Customer Service, their North American distributor Audio Plus Services or the dealer I've been purchasing from through Amazon (Hi-Def Lifestyle - talked to them on the phone a couple of times). Professional, courteous and prompt from all 3.
post #1361 of 1868
I've not had a CS problem with CA per se, though my X300 did go faulty after 2 years and it took them 6 weeks to fix it (amp replacement). I was given a loan unit by my retailer thankfully, but I did find the repair times not particularly quick for something that should be fairly straight forward.

As for crossovers, I'd guess running at 100Hz would work, but with reduced power handling and maybe a drop off in frequency response. I'd still run them at 140/150Hz IMO.
post #1362 of 1868
Sorry, total noob here. I'm looking to set up a simple 2.1 system in my dining room, for music exclusively. In particular, I'm trying to create a poor-man's Sonos using my iPhone and an Airport Express. I've heard the Sonos speakers and thought they sounded really thin, so I'm trying to recreate the experience (i.e. stream Spotify off of my phone) with much better fidelity. This obviously isn't a super hi-fi project but I still want quality.

Here's the long and the short of it -- I'm looking to pair two Minx min-11s with a subwoofer and am thinking of the Dayton Audio S-800? Do people think this match will work well? I've heard elsewhere in this forum that the min11s only crossover well at 200hz, which is not an option for this Dayton sub (140hz is the max.)

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated -- including better subs with a similar form factor that are in the same price range. Thanks guys.
post #1363 of 1868
i don't know who said 200Hz, but they are wrong. They work great at 150Hz (my AVR) and for sure they will work great at 140Hz that ur AVR supports.

are you sure that you can't afford Min 21s? When i used my Min 11 for stereo music, ok yes i loved them. i would keep them and be happy with them... but if you want some low end to appear you will need Min 21. The reason i chose my Min 11 is that i am using them as Surround rears and their size. Let me mention again, that they sound great...
post #1364 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBahamut View Post

As for crossovers, I'd guess running at 100Hz would work, but with reduced power handling and maybe a drop off in frequency response. I'd still run them at 140/150Hz IMO.

Which speaker?
post #1365 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderspeirce View Post

Here's the long and the short of it -- I'm looking to pair two Minx min-11s with a subwoofer and am thinking of the Dayton Audio S-800? Do people think this match will work well? I've heard elsewhere in this forum that the min11s only crossover well at 200hz, which is not an option for this Dayton sub (140hz is the max.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

i don't know who said 200Hz, but they are wrong. They work great at 150Hz (my AVR) and for sure they will work great at 140Hz that ur AVR supports.

I'm sure he meant in this thread, and it was me talking about the Min 10 sound difference with 150 and 200 Hz settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

are you sure that you can't afford Min 21s? When i used my Min 11 for stereo music, ok yes i loved them. i would keep them and be happy with them... but if you want some low end to appear you will need Min 21. The reason i chose my Min 11 is that i am using them as Surround rears and their size. Let me mention again, that they sound great...

I second that! biggrin.gif
post #1366 of 1868
Hi all,

I've been considering the Minx speakers as a possible solution for a system in our new small condo and the recent 'Home Theater' magazine's review of the Min 21 has reinforced my interest. However, I think our situation is bit different than usual. We've downsized considerably and my 'need' is to have a small system primarily for music only. I'm not interested in deep bass, nor high volume, but want excellent fidelity throughout the 'normal' music frequency range. The Minx's are especially appealing due to the very wide dispersion and non-box like sound they are said to have.

Our new receiver is not an AVR. It's a 65w/channel stereo receiver that is compact enough to fit on our 11" deep bookshelves. Therefore, my need would be to find a subwoofer which has speaker-level inputs, an integral high-pass filter in the correct range (~140/150 Hz from what I've read) and (obviously) speaker level outputs. So far the only one I've found that 'might' be appropriate is Orb's Super 8 because its specs indicate it has a 12dB/Octave hi-pass circuit. However, it doesn't say at what frequency and I haven't contacted them yet to find out.

Does anyone know of a subwoofer 'solution' that might work for me....or is my idea, perhaps, not such a good one?

Thanks.

Tadcu
post #1367 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadcu View Post

Hi all,

I've been considering the Minx speakers as a possible solution for a system in our new small condo and the recent 'Home Theater' magazine's review of the Min 21 has reinforced my interest. However, I think our situation is bit different than usual. We've downsized considerably and my 'need' is to have a small system primarily for music only. I'm not interested in deep bass, nor high volume, but want excellent fidelity throughout the 'normal' music frequency range. The Minx's are especially appealing due to the very wide dispersion and non-box like sound they are said to have.

Our new receiver is not an AVR. It's a 65w/channel stereo receiver that is compact enough to fit on our 11" deep bookshelves. Therefore, my need would be to find a subwoofer which has speaker-level inputs, an integral high-pass filter in the correct range (~140/150 Hz from what I've read) and (obviously) speaker level outputs. So far the only one I've found that 'might' be appropriate is Orb's Super 8 because its specs indicate it has a 12dB/Octave hi-pass circuit. However, it doesn't say at what frequency and I haven't contacted them yet to find out.

Does anyone know of a subwoofer 'solution' that might work for me....or is my idea, perhaps, not such a good one?

Thanks.

Tadcu

Here ya go- http://www.nhthifi.com/Subwoofer-home-theater-Super-8?sc=12&category=3779

There are also 10 and 12" models although for your needs I think the 8" would be fine.
post #1368 of 1868
Has anyone paired their Minxes with a Mordaunt Short? Say the Carnival?
post #1369 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Here ya go- http://www.nhthifi.com/Subwoofer-home-theater-Super-8?sc=12&category=3779............

Kini62 - Thanks for the nht idea. I think the only issue is that its high-pass is a bit low which would then need the Min 21's to go lower than what I understand they are capable of.
Per NHT website: "Outputs: L and R Speaker Level (HP filter 6dB/Oct 100Hz @ 8 ohms)".

I did contact Orb re the frequency of their Super 8's "12dB/Octave" hi-pass and they responded: "The Super Eight Subwoofer Hi Level in / out will pass frequencies above 120hz at 8ohms". This may be a better choice than the NHT but I think it's still probably too low.

Any other suggestions out there? If not, then I'll probably end up with GoldenEar's Aon 2 which got an excellent recent review from Home Theater about the same time the Minx's did. I've heard and liked the Aon 3, and the 2's would be small enough for us as well as precluding the need for a subwoofer for our application.

Cheers,
Tadcu
post #1370 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Once you hear the Min 21 including proper break-in, you will be surprised on how low they really go. Remember, the filter on the sub is not a brick-wall. So, I don't see a problem using the NHT sub for a good blend with the satellites. You may want to email NHT directly to get confirmation. It looks like the NHT sub would be a great match with the Minx satellites. Good luck! smile.gif
post #1371 of 1868
Home Theater Mag's recent review of the Minx 21's measured the --3db point of the speaker to be 168hz. That would mean, at minimum, you should be crossing over to your sub at 170hz or more likely 180hz. I've read owners posting that they cross at 140 or 120hz but you must be ending up with a large sonic "hole" if that's the case.

I'm intrigued by the speaker and I'm comparing them to the Paradigm MilleniaOne's and the new Kef E- series. The very high crossover point on the Minx 21's is what's making me hesitant at this point.
post #1372 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post

The very high crossover point on the Minx 21's is what's making me hesitant at this point.

Whatever. It's your loss by not hearing them for yourself. From the beginning, I was skeptical too.
post #1373 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post

Home Theater Mag's recent review of the Minx 21's measured the --3db point of the speaker to be 168hz.

In my "Real-World" listening environment, this isn't the case.
post #1374 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post

Home Theater Mag's recent review of the Minx 21's measured the --3db point of the speaker to be 168hz.

Case in point. The Goldenear SuperSat 3 has a recommended 120 Hz crossover setting.

Here are the HT measurements: The –3-dB point is at 181 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 158 Hz.
post #1375 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

In my "Real-World" listening environment, this isn't the case.

Hi,

What setting are you currently using then with your Min21's that you feel does not create any issues? I think you stated (please correct if I am wrong) that you bought two Min21's so are you using them for L&R duties with a mIn20 for the centre & do you think/feel that might have any bearing on the matter? I was just wondering why you did not get 3 Min21's for a unified LCR if (& I stress if) that is how you are using them? Would you/are you not using much lower settings on the Min21's than on the Min20's across the same front plane & would/could that have any possible bearing on things?

I think the concern might be that if you are finding that say a setting of 120Hz (which I think you stated your using or even lower) on the Min21's seems to work well within "your" conditions & subjective analysis, it creates some legitimate questions why there is such a huge disparity between any considerably lower setting you feel is sufficient & the only currently available hard facts & objective measured data from the Home Theatre review - the gap between say 100hz/120hz & 168hz has been explained to me as huge in this case as has other very similar large gaps that both Jim & yourself so emphatically eluded to in the past - I trust then you can appreciate why this then may create a sort of conundrum of confusion (at least for those not as experienced as yourself) as there seems to be so much variance.

Please understand that this is NOT intended to find fault or criticise the Min21's in any way, shape form or manner whatsoever - rather, it is how to get the very best out them to utilise their full potential & get them set up properly & help understand exactly what ancillary equipment to buy beforehand rather than find out one could have possibly made costly mistakes afterwards. As usual, may kind thanks for your input & knowledge.

Bazzy!
post #1376 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

What setting are you currently using then with your Min21's that you feel does not create any issues? I think you stated (please correct if I am wrong) that you bought two Min21's so are you using them for L&R duties with a mIn20 for the centre & do you think/feel that might have any bearing on the matter? I was just wondering why you did not get 3 Min21's for a unified LCR if (& I stress if) that is how you are using them? Would you/are you not using much lower settings on the Min21's than on the Min20's across the same front plane & would/could that have any possible bearing on things?

When I first hooked them up, yes I was using the Min 10 & 20 models but with a 150 Hz setting. Now, I'm using just a Min 21 for L&R with a 100 Hz crossover setting. For me, there is no 'Hole' created with this crossover setting. Geez, I already stated this fact a few Posts back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

I think the concern might be that if you are finding that say a setting of 120Hz (which I think you stated your using or even lower) on the Min21's seems to work well within "your" conditions & subjective analysis, it creates some legitimate questions why there is such a huge disparity between any considerably lower setting you feel is sufficient & the only currently available hard facts & objective measured data from the Home Theatre review - the gap between say 100hz/120hz & 168hz has been explained to me as huge in this case as has other very similar large gaps that both Jim & yourself so emphatically eluded to in the past - I trust then you can appreciate why this then may create a sort of conundrum of confusion (at least for those not as experienced as yourself) as there seems to be so much variance.

The only way to find out is to try a pair for yourself. Meaning, whoever is skeptical. As CA states and I agree, a 120 Hz crossover setting is the way to go with the Min 21. Unfortunately, I don't have this setting in my AVR and elect to use 100 Hz because I feel this sound best to me versus a 150 Hz setting. Of course, I don't play my system at very loud levels and don't seem to be experiencing any problems at low to medium listening levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Please understand that this is NOT intended to find fault or criticise the Min21's in any way, shape form or manner whatsoever - rather, it is how to get the very best out them to utilise their full potential & get them set up properly & help understand exactly what ancillary equipment to buy beforehand rather than find out one could have possibly made costly mistakes afterwards. As usual, may kind thanks for your input & knowledge.

I agree and recommend one try to find suitable equipment to match. wink.gif
post #1377 of 1868
Thread Starter 
I updated the 1st Post and changed / removed some Cambridge Audio links. The links that were removed were the Min 10 and Min 20 due to availability. The links that had their page address changed were all Minx Subwoofers.
post #1378 of 1868
I haven't gotten a chance to set things up yet. A lot of things going on. If I calibrate with Audyssey (after turning the subwoofer crossover all the way up on the sub) and it sounds good then I should just leave whatever crossover Audyssey sets on my AVR right? Or should I switch the crossover to the min21 icon on the back of the sub to see how it sounds? I will be connecting the sub via LFE FYI.

thanks!
post #1379 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post

Home Theater Mag's recent review of the Minx 21's measured the --3db point of the speaker to be 168hz. That would mean, at minimum, you should be crossing over to your sub at 170hz or more likely 180hz. I've read owners posting that they cross at 140 or 120hz but you must be ending up with a large sonic "hole" if that's the case.

I'm intrigued by the speaker and I'm comparing them to the Paradigm MilleniaOne's and the new Kef E- series. The very high crossover point on the Minx 21's is what's making me hesitant at this point.
The Minx 21's ( i have 5 of them in my 5.1 system ) work and sound best with a 120Hz cross and with out any sonic "hole" let alone a large sonic "hole"! They sound awesome and blend real well with the subwoofer. Completely seamless. You can not tell this is a Sub/satellite system. Cambridge has stated 120Hz is a good crossover setting for the Minx 21's and this is where they recommend starting at. I have tried the 160Hz setting with not so good results. Unlike Perpendicular, I play my system pretty darn loud most of the time because of my room size and the 120Hz works perfect in my situation. I now have a few weeks on them and they just keep getting better as time goes on. I to was waiting for the Kef E-series to become available. So while i was waiting i notice Amazon offered 1 day shipping on the Cambridge Audio S325-V2 system to my house so i decided to check them out for the weekend. Well I haven't look back since. The BMR drivers are very impressive to say the least. So if your intrigued by these speakers i would stop reading all these different threads about crossover settings and just go order the speakers and try them out for yourself. You can always send them back if they don't work out for you. I tried 4 different Sub/Satallite speaker sets in 3 months before settling on this Cambridge S325-V2 system. However,If you do decide on the Kef E series let us know what you think of them and what you are compared them to.
post #1380 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl206 View Post

I haven't gotten a chance to set things up yet. A lot of things going on.

You poor soul. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl206 View Post

If I calibrate with Audyssey (after turning the subwoofer crossover all the way up on the sub) and it sounds good then I should just leave whatever crossover Audyssey sets on my AVR right?

Yes. Be sure to Post how you have your satellites mounted and what Audyssey sets the crossover at. Also, re-run the room calibration a couple more times, about every 10 hours or so, of play time. Wait around the 50-60 hour mark on the Subwoofer and run it again. And again after 100 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl206 View Post

Or should I switch the crossover to the min21 icon on the back of the sub to see how it sounds? I will be connecting the sub via LFE FYI.

No. Not if you are using the AVR.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread