or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 17

post #481 of 1868
This has been officially announced by Cambridge Audio:
"True to the defining elements of Cambridge Audio’s DNA, the Min11 and Min21 take our passion for music to a new level. The drive units are the most important link in an audio chain, acting to transform our music from electronic signals into the sound pressure waves that excite our ear drums and trigger the emotional signals of musical enjoyment. By focusing on the very heart of the speaker, CA’s engineers have been able to bring us even closer to our music. These are cosmetically identical to the 10 and 20 satellites, but have greatly improved drive units and crossovers/filters to offer a more efficient sound, from drivers which can handle greater levels of power and more bass which can be summarised as: we have taken an excellent speaker, and made it even better!"
post #482 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Brinker View Post

This has been officially announced by Cambridge Audio:
"True to the defining elements of Cambridge Audio’s DNA, the Min11 and Min21 take our passion for music to a new level. The drive units are the most important link in an audio chain, acting to transform our music from electronic signals into the sound pressure waves that excite our ear drums and trigger the emotional signals of musical enjoyment. By focusing on the very heart of the speaker, CA’s engineers have been able to bring us even closer to our music. These are cosmetically identical to the 10 and 20 satellites, but have greatly improved drive units and crossovers/filters to offer a more efficient sound, from drivers which can handle greater levels of power and more bass which can be summarised as: we have taken an excellent speaker, and made it even better!"

This started to piss me off because my speakers are not that old.
Then, I started thinking, how much better can they be that a room correction system can't fix?
post #483 of 1868
Thread Starter 
You know, if anything, we should see some new Minx reviews out of the new models.
post #484 of 1868
Some additional information from CA.
"Minx has evolved, and using our learnings from the Min20, the Min21 uses sculpted magnet parts to reduce magnetic losses and improve efficiency. This means we can use more efficient magnets to transform more of the music into sound and which also require less power. There are also many other improvements such as an increased driver excursion (from 2.2mm to 4mm) and dedicated woofer which gives the Min21 far better bass handling than the Min20. We’ve also retuned the crossover and rebalanced the BMR modes to remove a slight 8kHz peak and deliver smoother more natural sound".
post #485 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Brinker View Post

Some additional information from CA.
"Minx has evolved, and using our learnings from the Min20, the Min21 uses sculpted magnet parts to reduce magnetic losses and improve efficiency. This means we can use more efficient magnets to transform more of the music into sound and which also require less power. There are also many other improvements such as an increased driver excursion (from 2.2mm to 4mm) and dedicated woofer which gives the Min21 far better bass handling than the Min20. We've also retuned the crossover and rebalanced the BMR modes to remove a slight 8kHz peak and deliver smoother more natural sound".

That makes it sound like it's a true 2 way now, as opposed to the Min 20 being a 1.5 way speaker.
post #486 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Brinker View Post

There are also many other improvements such as an increased driver excursion (from 2.2mm to 4mm) and dedicated woofer which gives the Min21 far better bass handling than the Min20.

You would think that allowing a driver to have more excursion would introduce more distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Brinker View Post

We’ve also retuned the crossover and rebalanced the BMR modes to remove a slight 8kHz peak and deliver smoother more natural sound".

You mean to tell me they couldn't get it right the first time around?
post #487 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

That makes it sound like it's a true 2 way now, as opposed to the Min 20 being a 1.5 way speaker.

It sure sounds like it.
post #488 of 1868
Thread Starter 
On Saturday, I looked at what MCACC did with all five of my Minx satellites in the 8 kHz range. The room correction system adjusted the L&R (Min 20) -2 db, center channel (Min 20) -1.5 db and the surrounds (Min 10) to -1 db.
post #489 of 1868
hey perpendicular how do you find the sound quality using min20s at the front and min10s for rears? i was planning on doing this myself at some point but was thinking tonally would it sound off...
post #490 of 1868
Thread Starter 
No different than if I was using three Min 10's across the front and two in the rear. Or, Min 10's all around with a Min 20 as the CC. Both models have the same character sound. Now, setting the crossover to 150 or 200 hz will make a difference between the two models. If I had Min 10's all around I would prefer the higher 200 hz setting versus 150 for the Min 20.
post #491 of 1868
Here an internetlink from a review on a Dutch audiowebsite. The last picture on the website page below shows a CA driver, when you click on it, you can see the differences between the old and the new drivers.

http://www.alpha-audio.nl/2012/02/ca...o-minx-min-21/
post #492 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Brinker View Post

Here an internetlink from a review on a Dutch audiowebsite. The last picture on the website page below shows a CA driver, when you click on it, you can see the differences between the old and the new drivers.

http://www.alpha-audio.nl/2012/02/ca...o-minx-min-21/

Thanks for the link. The picture of the driver implies there's a fairly substantial difference, which belies the model numbers; Min 20 - Min 21 makes it seem as though little has changed, but that may not be the case.
post #493 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Thanks for the link. The picture of the driver implies there's a fairly substantial difference, which belies the model numbers; Min 20 - Min 21 makes it seem as though little has changed, but that may not be the case.

Run the page contents through a translator and you'll find that the reviewer finds the new model provides a somewhat better and more neutral sound. He also mentions the importance of adequate clean power to drive them.
post #494 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Run the page contents through a translator and you'll find that the reviewer finds the new model provides a somewhat better and more neutral sound. He also mentions the importance of adequate clean power to drive them.

Yup, did that too. Since they aren't yet available in the US it seems a lot of the information is in non-English languages. But until they can get the crossover point down to at least 100Hz I'll be keeping my wallet closed. The Min 10's sound unbelievable good, so I'm definitely a BMR fan, but I have no intention of crossing a sub at 150Hz. I don't like the results.
post #495 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Yup, did that too. Since they aren't yet available in the US it seems a lot of the information is in non-English languages. But until they can get the crossover point down to at least 100Hz I'll be keeping my wallet closed. The Min 10's sound unbelievable good, so I'm definitely a BMR fan, but I have no intention of crossing a sub at 150Hz. I don't like the results.

Well, Jim. I hope you can use your investigative skills to find out what might be on the roadmap for BMRs... whether from Cambridge Audio, or elsewhere. Sounds like you need a bigger BMR, with a reach further down into the bass, to be happy.

Cheers
post #496 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

No different than if I was using three Min 10's across the front and two in the rear. Or, Min 10's all around with a Min 20 as the CC. Both models have the same character sound. Now, setting the crossover to 150 or 200 hz will make a difference between the two models. If I had Min 10's all around I would prefer the higher 200 hz setting versus 150 for the Min 20.

Thanks.
post #497 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Well, Jim. I hope you can use your investigative skills to find out what might be on the roadmap for BMRs... whether from Cambridge Audio, or elsewhere. Sounds like you need a bigger BMR, with a reach further down into the bass, to be happy.

I do need a larger BMR, but don't we all? (that just doesn't sound right ) The latest projection for the 3.5" and 6.5" from HiWave is end of March. They've already missed 3 release dates though, so I'm not holding my breath.

I did locate a British company named CSS that currently sells a few different 4.5" versions, but I have some reservations that it might be too large for a full range speaker. And worse, CSS doesn't sell to the public -- only OEM's -- so I'm now in contact with some fellow DIYer's in England trying to see if it's worth getting a group purchase together. CSS might be more inclined to allow a purchase if we have enough unit volume to make it worth their while.
post #498 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I do need a larger BMR, but don't we all? (that just doesn't sound right ) The latest projection for the 3.5" and 6.5" from HiWave is end of March. They've already missed 3 release dates though, so I'm not holding my breath.

I did locate a British company named CSS that currently sells a few different 4.5" versions, but I have some reservations that it might be too large for a full range speaker. And worse, CSS doesn't sell to the public -- only OEM's -- so I'm now in contact with some fellow DIYer's in England trying to see if it's worth getting a group purchase together. CSS might be more inclined to allow a purchase if we have enough unit volume to make it worth their while.

It sounds to me that 3.5 inch might be the sweet spot, reaching further into bass, yet still preserving the high-end. The question is whether someone like Cambridge Audio will utilize it in a consumer speaker.

Great that you're active in your inquiries!

Thanks.
post #499 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

It sounds to me that 3.5 inch might be the sweet spot, reaching further into bass, yet still preserving the high-end. The question is whether someone like Cambridge Audio will utilize it in a consumer speaker.

Great that you're active in your inquiries!

I was enamored with the whole BMR concept to begin with, but after hearing the Min 10 with my own ears I'm now obsessed with them. If CA doesn't make a Min 30 then I will, because I want one that much.
post #500 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I was enamored with the whole BMR concept to begin with, but after hearing the Min 10 with my own ears I'm now obsessed with them. If CA doesn't make a Min 30 then I will, because I want one that much.

Bravo!

It's the elegance of the design that is so compelling. Did you read how the Dutch reviewer described the sound as holographic?

If you know someone at Cambridge you should mention the idea of a 3.5 inch Min 30. It's a winning concept. (No allusion to Charlie Sheen intended)
post #501 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

If you know someone at Cambridge you should mention the idea of a 3.5 inch Min 30. It's a winning concept. (No allusion to Charlie Sheen intended)

Jeffrey, I believe he's speaking to you. He's the one with the CA contacts, I'm going directly after HiWave myself...
post #502 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Jeffrey, I believe he's speaking to you. He's the one with the CA contacts, I'm going directly after HiWave myself...

I have a sneaking suspicion that this "Topic" is already being followed.

I'm no electronics engineer (sometimes I think I'm one) but there must be some obvious reason besides the small form factor why CA came up with the 2 1/4" driver as opposed to a 2 1/2" or 3" one.
post #503 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Brinker View Post

Here an internetlink from a review on a Dutch audiowebsite. The last picture on the website page below shows a CA driver, when you click on it, you can see the differences between the old and the new drivers.

http://www.alpha-audio.nl/2012/02/ca...o-minx-min-21/

Since, the drivers are radically different between the two models, I may end up getting the newer models. This will be depending on further reviews between the two. Getting the design of the Min 21 to play down to, or being able to use a 120 hz crossover, is a step in the right direction.

Also, they just need to somehow find a way on lowering their retail price point a bit instead of raising it from where the Min 20 is now.
post #504 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

Thanks.

Oh, I find that corner loading the Min 10 helps on the low end (if one can call it that ). Maybe, upper low end?
post #505 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Last Friday, I received my April issue of "Home Theater" magazine. On the very back cover is an advertisement for Cambridge Audio's "Minx" line. The top two-thirds of the page shows a Min 10 being held in the palm of a hand with quotes from various review magazines. The bottom third of the page shows a photo of the Minx S215 system along with this caption:
Quote:


Soul moving sound from really tiny speakers has always been a dream. Today everything changes... A true object of desire, Minx is a speaker system of staggeringly small proportions with a simple mission; to revolutionize the way you experience music, movies and TV.

Below that quote is a short list of mentioned available "Premier" retailers. Crutchfield, Vann's and Abt.
post #506 of 1868
In case there's anyone from the uk following this thread you can now buy the minx min21 speakers from Richer Sounds (99 pounds each). Richer sounds aren't advertising them on their website yet, I can only assume they want to shift their min20's first, but you can order them by phone.
post #507 of 1868
Jeffrey found out yesterday that the Min 11 and 21 won't be coming to NA until the October time frame, so for some inexplicable reason it seems CA thinks the US and Canada don't warrant their best. Well, at least not until 6 months after the rest of the world has them anyway. Interesting marketing "strategy" if you ask me.
post #508 of 1868
Thread Starter 
I added the new Min 11 & 21 to the first Post.

Also, it looks like What HiFi? magazine has published a review of a Minx system in their June issue with one of the updated models. I can't locate any information on which model.
post #509 of 1868
Thread Starter 
I found out that What HiFi? reviewed the S215 system which included the Min 11 satellite. They gave it a 5 Star review as opposed to 4 Star with the Min 10.

I still don't see the Min 11 or 21 listed on Amazon as of yet. I'll take a guess and say next month.
post #510 of 1868
I re did the auto calibration on the denon today since owning the minxs and i have to say that my speakers sound completely different they sound even better than before if that makes sense the x300s bass depth feels alot deeper and tighter aswell...

I think that i will definately add a center and rears as i'm really loving what i'm hearing, i'm based in the uk so getting hold of the newer min21 is not a problem. My question though is with the tonal qualities between the min20 and the new min21, will i be able to still use my existing min20s without it being an issue as the min21s are better or will i be able to still add a min21 center and rears without any problems??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread