or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 31

post #901 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Very nicely done. Now it's definitely time for a better TV. But all the TV's have black frames, not white, so what are you going to do? tongue.gif

It'll match the sofa! That's why they will be facing each other biggrin.gif
post #902 of 1868
I too have been experimenting setting the Min21 up as large speakers vs small speakers. While it seems to give more warmth to the sound when set to large speakers, I do feel that it lost the ability to reproduce the mids and highs as nice as if it was set to small.

hope this makes sense
post #903 of 1868
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to run them large - they're simply not capable of running full-range. I would run them small and set the crossover for around 150Hz. They really can't play much below that I'm afraid.
post #904 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post

I too have been experimenting setting the Min21 up as large speakers vs small speakers. While it seems to give more warmth to the sound when set to large speakers, I do feel that it lost the ability to reproduce the mids and highs as nice as if it was set to small.
hope this makes sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to run them large - they're simply not capable of running full-range. I would run them small and set the crossover for around 150Hz. They really can't play much below that I'm afraid.

I agree. When I first had a Min 10 pair, I set my AVR front speakers to "Small" with a 100 hz crossover setting. Guess what? I blew one of the drivers. I would expect, no less, with the Min 11, Min 20 and Min 21.
post #905 of 1868
Blown at 100hz!? Damn I have been running them at 100hz to see if its any better than 150hz.

I'm also been looking at a wharfdale sw150 sub at a good price but looking at the spec the freq res is 35-110hz. Not going to work is it?
post #906 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post

Blown at 100hz!? Damn I have been running them at 100hz to see if its any better than 150hz.

Perpendicular tends to be a bit "exuberant" when he's testing out various configurations, so I wouldn't go by what happened to him. tongue.gif I would change the crossover to 150Hz though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post

I'm also been looking at a wharfdale sw150 sub at a good price but looking at the spec the freq res is 35-110hz. Not going to work is it?

Nope.
post #907 of 1868
Thread Starter 
I'm very surprised that the newer models (Min 11 & 21) don't have any professional magazine reviews, thus far, from the last two, several months ago. eek.gif
post #908 of 1868
Thread Starter 
I did find three more consumer reviews from Amazon (Sept 18, Oct 6 & Dec 4) on the Min 10. Notice the reviewer Markus stating no use of Banana Plugs which I just commented on in the "Comment" section of that Posting. Also, I directed him here to our Thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-BLACK-Single-Speaker/product-reviews/B004B10ACC/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
post #909 of 1868
I will have to re-read all 30 pages to find another sub that suits now... or just save up for a CA sub
post #910 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post

I will have to re-read all 30 pages to find another sub that suits now... or just save up for a CA sub

Where are you located? Perhaps someone can save you a little time and provide some options.
post #911 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post

I too have been experimenting setting the Min21 up as large speakers vs small speakers. While it seems to give more warmth to the sound when set to large speakers, I do feel that it lost the ability to reproduce the mids and highs as nice as if it was set to small.
hope this makes sense

Indeed it does, that's exactly how it felt. Now as I said, I haven't had enough time to test and decide, but all your feedback helps a lot. I also felt something was lost when setting "large", but on the other hand, you got that warmth you mentioned...
post #912 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Where are you located? Perhaps someone can save you a little time and provide some options.

I'm in the land downunder smile.gif

How does the x200 goes with the rest of the minx setup Iluberest?
post #913 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post

How does the x200 goes with the rest of the minx setup Iluberest?

The Minx X200, X300 & X500 were specifically designed to be used with any of the Minx model satellites and should sound the best. My recommendation, stick with a Cambridge Minx Subwoofer. Preferably an X300 or the larger model, X500.
post #914 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post

I'm in the land downunder smile.gif

I'm not too sure what's available to you down unda, but what about something from Krix, Aaron, Sonique or Subsonic? If a CA sub doesn't work for you perhaps something from one of those companies might be a decent alternative.
post #915 of 1868
The Minx subs are available here. I might save some pennies for the X300.
post #916 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post

I'm in the land downunder smile.gif
How does the x200 goes with the rest of the minx setup Iluberest?

Well IMHO it's a perfect match, but as it has been said before in this forum, that will depend mostly on the dimensions of the room and on how much you want to shake the whole place tongue.gif

My living room is 6m x 4m (roughly 20 ft x 13 ft), and is opened to both kitchen and corridor on the right side, which makes it a bit difficult to find a good balanced sound. And it's an apartment, which means I have neighbors living above, under and alongside, and I don't want them to call the cops every time I watch a movie... And the little x200 is more than capable of getting them on the phone thinking that there's an earthquake biggrin.gif

So in terms of boom, imo it's more than ok. Maybe the x300 can offer an even better integration, by having more and better defined presence, but I haven't listened to it, I really don't know how it compares to the x200 from that point of view.
post #917 of 1868
I'm thinking of selling all 5 of my Cambridge Minx Min 20 speakers and a brand new, unused, unopened X300 sub.

I can sell my X300 for $600 USD for anyone interested and open to offers on the Min 20's.
post #918 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluberest View Post

Well IMHO it's a perfect match, but as it has been said before in this forum, that will depend mostly on the dimensions of the room and on how much you want to shake the whole place tongue.gif
My living room is 6m x 4m (roughly 20 ft x 13 ft), and is opened to both kitchen and corridor on the right side, which makes it a bit difficult to find a good balanced sound. And it's an apartment, which means I have neighbors living above, under and alongside, and I don't want them to call the cops every time I watch a movie... And the little x200 is more than capable of getting them on the phone thinking that there's an earthquake biggrin.gif
So in terms of boom, imo it's more than ok. Maybe the x300 can offer an even better integration, by having more and better defined presence, but I haven't listened to it, I really don't know how it compares to the x200 from that point of view.

Don't expect a 6.5" or even an 8" driver to reach any lower in hertz than around mid 40's and mid 30's respectively. The other night, I watched "The Dark Knight Rises" with two 8" Subs, and wish I had more depth. Other than these types of movies, most sound fine. Just don't expect anything gut wrenching.
post #919 of 1868
I have been reading this thread for the last few days and am finally picking up a set of 5 Min 10's to go with a new Cambridge receiver and a 8" Sunfire sub. I cannot wait to hear how it all sounds at home. It is going in a 25'x 15' room. I haven't upgraded my system in quite a few years and am not sure how the Sunfire will match up but I am game to try. If it doesn't work I will go with the mid range Cambridge sub. My dealer is fairly accommodating as far as demoing goes. I did try the Min20's and was not too happy with one just as a center speaker. Honestly it sounded a bit off really to me. I am going for a system with minimal awareness in the room and wanted to keep it small . The Min 10's will be mounted on stands for left and right with the center below the screen and the rears will be wall mounted. Hopefully have it all together next week. Will leave feed back once I do. It is replacing a rather large NAD system with Kef Q's all around.
post #920 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker27 View Post

I have been reading this thread for the last few days and am finally picking up a set of 5 Min 10's to go with a new Cambridge receiver and a 8" Sunfire sub. I cannot wait to hear how it all sounds at home. It is going in a 25'x 15' room. It is replacing a rather large NAD system with Kef Q's all around.

You're going from an NAD/Kef system to Min 10's with an 8" sub? In a 25x15 room? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but that sounds like you're heading in the opposite direction to me. If I may ask, what made you opt to go that route?
post #921 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker27 View Post

I have been reading this thread for the last few days and am finally picking up a set of 5 Min 10's to go with a new Cambridge receiver and a 8" Sunfire sub. I cannot wait to hear how it all sounds at home. It is going in a 25'x 15' room. I haven't upgraded my system in quite a few years and am not sure how the Sunfire will match up but I am game to try. If it doesn't work I will go with the mid range Cambridge sub. My dealer is fairly accommodating as far as demoing goes. I did try the Min20's and was not too happy with one just as a center speaker. Honestly it sounded a bit off really to me. I am going for a system with minimal awareness in the room and wanted to keep it small . The Min 10's will be mounted on stands for left and right with the center below the screen and the rears will be wall mounted. Hopefully have it all together next week. Will leave feed back once I do. It is replacing a rather large NAD system with Kef Q's all around.

Trust me,the Sunfire Subwoofer won't work. I own a Sunfire and have used it with the Min 10's in the beginning. It will place a large hole or (gap) between around 90-150 Hz. This is if it's one of the "True Subwoofer" models. I believe the other newer models like the HRS series are about the same in frequency response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

You're going from an NAD/Kef system to Min 10's with an 8" sub? In a 25x15 room? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but that sounds like you're heading in the opposite direction to me. If I may ask, what made you opt to go that route?

Maybe he's downsizing? Otherwise, he is going backwards.
post #922 of 1868
I would not really call it going in reverse but I have gone through a recent major home remodel that includes a dedicated home theater room. I am mostly looking for some back ground audio in this room as well as watching the odd TV program that is indiscreet as far as equipment goes. I just do not need to see the stuff and would like it to blend in to the room...

From the sound of it I will have to look at the Cambridge sub. Unfortunately I have to find something to do with my Sunfire now..
post #923 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker27 View Post

I would not really call it going in reverse but I have gone through a recent major home remodel that includes a dedicated home theater room. I am mostly looking for some back ground audio in this room as well as watching the odd TV program that is indiscreet as far as equipment goes. I just do not need to see the stuff and would like it to blend in to the room...
From the sound of it I will have to look at the Cambridge sub. Unfortunately I have to find something to do with my Sunfire now..

I'm confused! Are you saying that you have two different rooms and that you want a Minx system in the smaller room? BTW, which Sunfire Sub model is it?
post #924 of 1868
The cambridge system is in the same room I now have a dedicated home theater room on a separate room. The Sunfire is an older model from early 2000's I would guess. I have an 8 in gloss black and I think a 12. To be honest both were boxed around 2005 or so. The smaller one is a junior. The larger one not sure I do not have the literature handy.
Edited by striker27 - 12/7/12 at 6:52pm
post #925 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker27 View Post

The cambridge system is in the same room I now have a dedicated home theater room on a separate room. The Sunfire is an older model from early 2000's I would guess. I have an 8 in gloss black and I think a 12. To be honest both were boxed around 2005 or so. The smaller one is a junior. The larger one not sure I do not have the literature handy.

Thanks for clarifying!

The 10" driver Sunfire model that I have was tested at rolling off like a cliff around 76 Hz. If my memory serves me right, the other models (10 & 12 inchers) roll-off around the same frequency and the 8" Junior model around 90 Hz.

I have another question. What Kef model Loudspeaker are you planning on NOT using?
post #926 of 1868
A 6 or 7 year old set of Kef Q 900 series floor standers. 4 of them and the larger Q series center channel for the time. I had two Kef subs in the room as well. The previous system used a NAD surround processor and 5 NAD 2600 amps. It was just not fitting into the new reno so it was moved into a dedicated room and I upgraded to newer equipment. We entertain two to three times a week and would like to have the room devoid of audio equipment. My other choice since the home is very modern was to go with a set of the powered and wireless Dynaudio speakers. They are quite nice in a piano white finish. I really have no idea how that would really work out mind you. But it was a idea thrown around. I really liked the cambridge speakers for the small size I am really looking for something to sit in front of the TV and watch a game or two where I do not have to walk too far from the kitchen to get my snacks and a drink when I at home alone.
post #927 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker27 View Post

I really liked the cambridge speakers for the small size I am really looking for something to sit in front of the TV and watch a game or two where I do not have to walk too far from the kitchen to get my snacks and a drink when I at home alone.

In that case, I feel a Minx satellites will fit perfectly. As far as the Sub goes, I would find a better match if your not going to use an X*** series.
post #928 of 1868
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

Will an amp like this suffice to power the Minx 21s?
post #929 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusontherock View Post

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100
Will an amp like this suffice to power the Minx 21s?

So long as you aren't going for insane volumes it should suffice. The Min speakers are not very sensitive, and are 8 ohms with a max power of 200 watts, so they do require a bit of energy to get the most from them.
post #930 of 1868
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

So long as you aren't going for insane volumes it should suffice.

Ahhh, the sound of the mechanical crack...brings back memories. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread