With my ventilation at least reconnected, I moved on to rerouting some conduit. I mentioned before that I needed to relocate the conduit coming form PJ. Cutting that conduit off in that little hole was not easy. I'm sure there's a joke in there about how long it takes when you've only got 2" of stroke to work with, but I'll leave that one on the table for the rest of you. I also took the opportunity to add a conduit into my soffit for the rest of my cabling.
Here's the conduit into the soffit. I tried to lean it towards the front of the room to make it easy to pull in extra cables later. I also added a putty pad around it to help with sound isolation, and I may put one inside it once I get all my cables run as well.
Next it was time to get some lumber. This is what an unassembled stage and riser look like on the back of my truck. Some last minute revisions to my plan let me use 14' 2x12's and 2x8's rather than the 16' I thought I would need. Probably a good thing.
I was not looking forward to getting all that off my truck by myself. Turned out not to be such a big deal after all
My dad came over on Saturday morning and was a HUGE help all day. We started with the stage. Here's an in-progress
The curve on the front took a little longer than i expected. Just because I had to find the angles on each piece. I took some dimensions off my sketchup model to help speed things along.
I may have made my stage a bit too long. I decided I wanted the narrowest part just wide enough that I could stand up there comfortably when I needed to hang the screen. I picked 1'-6". Since my screen wall is 2'-6" from the wall, that puts the narrowest part at 4'. I worked everything else out from those dimensions. I ended up with about 9'-4" from the front of the curve to the front of my riser. That's plenty to walk around with someone fully reclined in the front row, I just don't want it to feel cramped. I suppose I can always cut the curve off of the front and make it straight if I decide I don't like it.
We called it a day around supper time, but I decided to go back at it afterwords. I started on the riser. I had to get creative to be able to build it myself. I framed the outside with 2x12's, and used 2x8's for the joists. My design called for the riser to be 14' 3-1/2", but I decided no one would miss that extra 1/2" (again, I'll leave that for you guys) so I went with 14' 3" so I wouldn't have to cut down 16' boards. Here's the start.
Dad came back on Sunday. To get the final height, we set the hole thing up on 2x4's laid flat. We also added midspan supports. I think a 2x8 is good for 12' span, so I figured a support every 5' should be just right
After the riser was finished, dad called it a day. I ended up finishing the drywall on the bottom of the soffits that evening and part of the next day (I hate drywall). I also filled the stage with sand. I believe I'm at 97 bags of sand. I may end up with one or two extra, but that's still a LOT of sand. I made three trips. Here's the sand after the first two.
And here's the sand after the last one.
I've got all the bays mostly full but decided to wait until I'm ready for the decking to add the last bit and level it off.
Next up is to get the stage decked, and then I need to run all of my electrical for my electrical rough-in inspection. I hope my inspector doesn't give me any grief about the untreated wood I used for my riser and stage.