or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Another Erskine-designed masterpiece (if I don't screw it up).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another Erskine-designed masterpiece (if I don't screw it up). - Page 4

post #91 of 441
Quote:


That room is going to have serious wow-factor. Looks great so far!

+1. It's going to be a jaw-dropping home theater. It looks like the crew is doing really nice work executing the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

5/8" Type X standard drywall. Green Glue to damp.

Ted,

Is there a general rule about how far apart the two drywall surfaces should be to avoid the dreaded "triple leaf" problem?
post #92 of 441
More space = less triple leaf effect. No specific guidlines
post #93 of 441
Congrats on the progress,... looking very, very nice.
post #94 of 441
Quote:


I was planning to just use 1/2" drywall on the interior walls since it will be the third layer of drywall and there will be fiberglass batts behind it.

Quote:


More mass is more better.

Technically, even layers damp better. 5/8" to 5/8" is optimal damping. 1/4" to 1" is less efficient damping, for example.

----The interior partition walls are INSIDE the sound isolation barrier of high mass damping, etc. These interior partition walls should be covered in 1/2 drywall or 1/4 pegboard ... in this case, 1/2 drywall to provide better support for the rails.
post #95 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlaw2010 View Post

I have not made official selections on equipment just yet. I would love to hear suggestions and thoughts. The only thing I have locked in is a Procella speaker system.

So that's it for now. I will post updates and more pics as I have them. Electrical is beginning this week and low voltage wiring should come shortly thereafter.

What other systems besides procella did you look at, any major reasons why your going with them?
post #96 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

What other systems besides procella did you look at, any major reasons why your going with them?

Believe it or not, I did not really listen to any other high-end systems. In fact, I have not even heard the Procellas yet. I just did quite a bit of looking on AVS and elsewhere, and I could not find any real negative reviews on the Procellas. Seems like they get positive comments from just about everyone who has heard them.

When you combine that with the fact that Dennis Erskine recommends them, I am willing to take the leap of faith that they are really, really good.
post #97 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlaw2010 View Post

When you combine that with the fact that Dennis Erskine recommends them, I am willing to take the leap of faith that they are really, really good.

Yoda's Insurance Policy
post #98 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlaw2010 View Post

Believe it or not, I did not really listen to any other high-end systems. In fact, I have not even heard the Procellas yet. I just did quite a bit of looking on AVS and elsewhere, and I could not find any real negative reviews on the Procellas. Seems like they get positive comments from just about everyone who has heard them.

When you combine that with the fact that Dennis Erskine recommends them, I am willing to take the leap of faith that they are really, really good.

Hi KBlaw, Gerben from Procella here. I am subscribed to your thread, looking very good indeed. I saw the drawings for your room several months ago, when Dennis shared them with us. The combination of his room design and our speakers will guarantee a great audio result, and I mean that: guaranteed. The acoustics that are built-in to this design and the way that works together with our speakers just leaves only one outcome: prepare to be impressed! Its is going to be much bigger and much better than you can now imagine. We call that the Procella Effect. You will know what we mean with that once you turn the system on!
Dennis, along with other cinema designers and Procella dealers around the world, is an active member of our unofficial 'Sound-Board'. We solicit their input and feedback on new loudspeaker designs, from very basic points such as 'will it fit in that wall/riser?' to highly theoretical audio design discussions.
When Anders and I started Procella in 2005/2006, we knew there was a very small niche for a truly high quality loudspeaker line for dedicated cinema rooms. And really all we want is for people to build great rooms with great sound, just like yours. Have a great time building it!
post #99 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post

Hi KBlaw, Gerben from Procella here. I am subscribed to your thread, looking very good indeed. I saw the drawings for your room several months ago, when Dennis shared them with us. The combination of his room design and our speakers will guarantee a great audio result, and I mean that: guaranteed.

Gerben,

Thanks for chiming in. I already felt pretty good about my selection. Now I feel even better! I know that I am going to be absolutely blown away. Can't wait to hear them and post my review.

We have planned to use 815s for the LCRs, 2 P18s for subs, and P6s for surrounds. We are on schedule to move in and install in early January.

Kris
post #100 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlaw2010 View Post

That is another nice feature of Dennis' design. We don't have to cut the boxes; rather we just pull the wires through and seal around the holes because there will be another set of walls built inside the isolation shell.

Thats just plain awesome, just another example of just how large the space is.
post #101 of 441
I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but what size screen are you going with?
post #102 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but what size screen are you going with?

12 feet wide. Cinecurve microperf from Stewart.
post #103 of 441
Thread Starter 
This week we got the recessed can lights installed and I built a hush box for the projector. I installed all of it except for the bottom. I still need to line it with insulation, cut the window, and install the hinging bottom. Here are photos:







View from underneath





Tomorrow, we are set to frame the rear soffit that will house the HVAC returns.
post #104 of 441
Thread Starter 
Built the rear HVAC return soffit, attached bottom of PJ cabinet, and installed LED tray today.





post #105 of 441
Interesting position for the rears on the back wall....very close to the box
post #106 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Interesting position for the rears on the back wall....very close to the box

Yeah. . . Not a happy moment when I discovered that they were not centered properly in the room. So do I rip out two layers of DD & GG? Or just live with it?

They will be covered with fabric, so they won't be an eye sore. But I am unsure of how much it may impact the sound. Thoughts?
post #107 of 441
Is the projector hush box in the direct line between speaker and any seating position? If so, I would move them. Rather do it now, than wait and do it later when you have more work to fix. If not in the direct line, you'll still have some reflective waves that weren't considered during design. Send the question to Dennis in this case.
post #108 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlaw2010 View Post

Yeah. . . Not a happy moment when I discovered that they were not centered properly in the room. So do I rip out two layers of DD & GG? Or just live with it?

They will be covered with fabric, so they won't be an eye sore. But I am unsure of how much it may impact the sound. Thoughts?

What did the original drawing specify?
post #109 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

What did the original drawing specify?

Well, Dennis has been adding as we go along. The problem came when the framers had to find the center of the room before we had the isolation shell or interior walls built. The missed by about 10 inches. Dangit.
post #110 of 441
The room is simply too nice to compromise. I don't think it is that difficult to cut out part of that back wall drywall, move your speaker over, and patch up the hole with new double drywall/GG.

I would go ahead and bite the bullet if it were my room.

Good luck. Looks like it is going to be a fantastic room.
post #111 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon View Post

The room is simply too nice to compromise. I don't think it is that difficult to cut out part of that back wall drywall, move your speaker over, and patch up the hole with new double drywall/GG.

I would go ahead and bite the bullet if it were my room.

Good luck. Looks like it is going to be a fantastic room.

I had the same pain when I was discussing with BIGmouthinDC about my door not being centered between my columns after doing the GG/DD. Trust me, just cut it out and do it right or it will bug you forever. It doesnt take that long to fix and patch and caulk a wall. Bite the bullet and make it the way you want.
post #112 of 441
Interesting, I'd have thought the speaker should be below the height of the hush box....even if it is a foot or so from it....highlights my complete lack of knowledge about it.
post #113 of 441
Hello,

After reading your thread, I decided to hire Dennis to fix my theater. Mine has been completed for a bit now, but I always knew that the room was not correct. So I figured that since I put all this work into it, I want it to be right.

Looking forward to his drawings and hopefully the corrections will be able to be performed without drastic woodworking adjustments.

Keep those pics coming.
post #114 of 441
Bite the bullet and reposition the speakers, Did you really need that big of a hush box? What is going in there?
post #115 of 441
The projector/lens is 36" deep, 21" wide, and 15" high. Lens must be placed at a height equal to top of screen. Additional width is required for air intake/exhaust plumbing.
post #116 of 441
The surround array speakers are monopolar compression drivers. They must be mounted high and aimed downward into the listening area to reduce the distance delta seat to seat in the listening area to avoid large SPL differences between seats.
post #117 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

The surround array speakers are monopolar compression drivers. They must be mounted high and aimed downward into the listening area to reduce the distance delta seat to seat in the listening area to avoid large SPL differences between seats.

Not to sound too obtuse, but wouldn't any correction for sound fix that right away?
post #118 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlr8 View Post


Not to sound too obtuse, but wouldn't any correction for sound fix that right away?

No, how would sound processing change the physics of how sound drops off as a function of distance?
post #119 of 441
I wish I needed a ladder to get to my basement ceiling. =(
post #120 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngho View Post

No, how would sound processing change the physics of how sound drops off as a function of distance?

Make one louder to start, problem is every seating position is different. What you end up with is something that is the result of a weighted averaging process.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Another Erskine-designed masterpiece (if I don't screw it up).