or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › LG D2342P 23" Passive 3D LED LCD Monitor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG D2342P 23" Passive 3D LED LCD Monitor - Page 2

post #31 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post


On the PC, the "Stereoscopic Player" software player seems to give me better results for playing the TD10 3D files than directly connecting the TD10 to the LG monitor. I think that this is because when the monitor is connected to the TD10, the SBS mode of playback has to be used, which limits horizontal resolution, while when "Stereoscopic Player" is used, the option for "Row Interlaced" is selected, which perfectly matches the monitor.

With "Stereoscopic Player" I do not need to select "Line Interlacing" on the LG monitor, though if I do, the image looks a bit different, though is still 3D.

Thanks for the tip Richard however, I can't really check that out for myself as yet because my PC is not up to playing the TD10 3D files without the video being quite jerky and lagging massively behind the audio.

I've recently posted on a thread in the 3D Tech Talk forum seeking some advice as to whether a new GPU and maybe CPU might make it capable of doing so.

It would be nice if the TD10 had the option to output through HDMI in 1920x1080 over/under mode as that would suit our monitors perfectly given that the vertical resolution is compromised anyway: I wonder whether Sony could implement that sort of thing in a firmware update or something.
post #32 of 260
Hi all I also recently purchased that monitor (i'm from India). It costs me around 14k Rs. (INR).
I have got few software update from DDD and NVIDIA and gaming is really cool.
But I get few problem in 3d movies.[I'll discuss soon]
Thanks All,
And Specially to Richard. Your review motivated me and I'm Completely Happy.
Thanks
post #33 of 260
Yes, finally I found a forum with actual owners of this really interesting monitor!
I'm seriously considering to buy it, but there're some questions that are still blocking me from doing that.

1.)Some reviews said that to actually enjoy a real 3d effect, you've to stay 1,5m away from the screen. Is it true? Or the 3d effect is enjoyable even using the monitor at an usual desktop distance?
2.)How do you think the brightness performs? I mean, not the "brightness" control for picture quality, but the actual backlight of LEDs. Is it good and bright enough, even using 3d glasses?
3.)What about using it with standard 2D content? Internet surfing, windows...Is it sharp, clear and with good colors?

I hope you'll answer, you're the only I found that can say "I own this monitor, and I can comment!"

Thanks a lot!!
post #34 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoweb View Post

Some reviews said that to actually enjoy a real 3d effect, you've to stay 1,5m away from the screen.

The recommended distance is between 50-90 cm, which is average desktop distance. Scan lines will be less visible on the farther end of that spectrum.

Quote:
How do you think the brightness performs? I mean, not the "brightness" control for picture quality, but the actual backlight of LEDs. Is it good and bright enough, even using 3d glasses?

If anything, it's too bright. I have the brightness control set to 10 out of 100. There's a 3D mode that cranks it up even higher, but it also distorts the colors a bit.

Quote:
What about using it with standard 2D content? Internet surfing, windows...Is it sharp, clear and with good colors?

It's not top-of-line, but I'd call it adequate. The included ICC profile makes a huge difference.
post #35 of 260
Your fast help is much appreciated! Thanks!
The things about the backlight are really good, I like very bright screens and it should be really good in 3d. For the 2d side of the story, well..the monitor I'm going to replace is a very base-of-the-line acer x193w, I think that any screen would be a lot better! The strange fact is that my current monitor (lcd) is 300cd/m2, this LG only 250cd/m2...I think all this brightness comes from the LED backlight. Is there much difference between a normal monitor and a passive screen? I mean...to actually enjoy a sharp and soft view using a common monitor, you need only to stand at a distance far enough so that your eye cannot "count" the pixels, or see the grid created by them. But using such a type of monitor, that in addition to this has also a sort of "series of lines" for the 3D effect, is the "pixeling" quite more noticeable? Or, in 2D mode, it seems you're watching a common lcd monitor?
Thanks in advance for your help!
post #36 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoweb View Post

Your fast help is much appreciated! Thanks!
The things about the backlight are really good, I like very bright screens and it should be really good in 3d. For the 2d side of the story, well..the monitor I'm going to replace is a very base-of-the-line acer x193w, I think that any screen would be a lot better! The strange fact is that my current monitor (lcd) is 300cd/m2, this LG only 250cd/m2...I think all this brightness comes from the LED backlight. Is there much difference between a normal monitor and a passive screen? I mean...to actually enjoy a sharp and soft view using a common monitor, you need only to stand at a distance far enough so that your eye cannot "count" the pixels, or see the grid created by them. But using such a type of monitor, that in addition to this has also a sort of "series of lines" for the 3D effect, is the "pixeling" quite more noticeable? Or, in 2D mode, it seems you're watching a common lcd monitor?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi friend,
Just I wanna tell you one interesting fact regarding my LG D2342P.
I Purchased this monitor in 31 June From then I passed 8 Complete Night Out With little rest in between and work hour. It's really awesome.
Any way I don't get much time to draw a fine review.
But tell me what exactly your purpose is.

Look for me I purchased only for gaming and 3D and 2D movie experience.
And the fact is that once you start to enjoy 3D you never look back for 2D.
Even for me I have 3TB of Huge 2D movies collection that was just stored and now I'm downloading 3D stuffs. I have watched few movies recently in 3D SBS format through Tridef Media player.

My rating are 10/10 for Tangled and How to train you dragon.(only these two I have watched)

Anyway 3D is not Pixelated Display
3D is Bright and really Bright IF you select a particular mode called 3D color
CNET you may find this terms

"...instead produces drab images where colors look washed out."

In the last line of their Review.

But tell you one truth and a secret fact about this monitor: Just Purchase a good G-Card too.
If you are a movie fan and want to experience richer 2D try just simple CUDA enabled G cards ow go for NVIDIA GTX 550Ti or 560Ti etc.
Mine is GTX 560 ti HAWK. And I have enabled GPU to produce normal colors and now 2D is just like Heaven.
Any way One more thing is that the device I mean Monitor It self is perfect and the time CNET and other GUY made their reviews on the basis of (I think they have used) only ordinary CPU with cheap GPU and also early versions of Tridef.
But the major trick is Tridef versions and GPU.
Tridef is growing but they need more development to provide rich 3D.
Movie is 100% perfect But playing different game I Colcluded finally that The Ghosting if present in any games is due to only and only Tridef on the monitor.
Once tridef update that means 3D get s better and better.

The problem with movie I was talking is that you can play only this formats:
SBS(side by side)
Above below
in DVI -D or D-SUB mode.
and In HDMI
all 3Di are supported including line interlaced
I don't have any good camera but I 'll try to upload a video review of that monitor.
post #37 of 260
Well, my purpose is to use this monitor as my primary monitor. This means - althought I'm sure I'm gonna love the 3D side - that I need also decent 2D performance, because I work a lot with Photoshop, After Effects, Windows and Microsoft Office. I'm not a pro, so I'm not looking for the best LCD monitor in the world, but I'd be disappointed if, after spending 270€, all what I get is amazing 3D. Yeah, I'm going to use the third dimension a lot, but a good 50% of my daily usage would be even worse of my current not-so-up-to-date Acer x193w.

The point is: let's leave out the 3D effect for a while - is this LG grainy? 2D pictures are pixeled? Scan lines (the ones due to the FPR - the filter that polarize the screen) are really/at the end/perceptibly making this monitor look far different from a normal 2D LCD screen? Is it easier than a normal monitor to see the pixel grid? In 3D mode, at an avg. distance of 50cm, is it perceptible that you're watching at frames made by lines interlaced with BLACK ones (that it's supposed to be visible by the other eye, and vice-versa)?

If the answer to all these questions - honestly - is NO, then I'm going to buy this d2342p as soon as I come back from holidays.

Thank you!
post #38 of 260
I think this is not a superb Monitor in 2D mode unless you have a good GPU.
But one point may be true I'm not so sure [ Because it's hard to feel ] that "..perceptible that you're watching at frames made by lines interlaced with BLACK ones..".
I feel that there will some such issues slightly may be.
I'll try to review on this direction. But mean while I don't think this thing is what you r looking for. Mainly due to its response time issues and complicated color calibration etc.
Anyway can you tell me what GPU u r using. I think you must have some great GPU.
If you r really seeking for 2D performance and 3D in passive too then I think you better wait for RDZ 3D[Samsung + RealD Combines Active and passive] in the next year 2012.
Then you have alternative to compare with. For now it's a new technology [after Zalman] and can't be compared based on only 2D thing.
G2G response time is high 5ms that's gonna kill your 2D high end multimedia work.
post #39 of 260
actually, I'm using an AMD HD5870 - however the only aspect that the gpu can take control of are the colors, and the gamma value. I hope you will be able to take some very-close shoots to the pixels - and to the FPR, if you can. I'm curious to see the real-life look of the screen itself. I wait for your review, then! Regards,
post #40 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoweb View Post

The point is: let's leave out the 3D effect for a while - is this LG grainy? 2D pictures are pixeled? Scan lines (the ones due to the FPR - the filter that polarize the screen) are really/at the end/perceptibly making this monitor look far different from a normal 2D LCD screen?

If you don't put on the 3D glasses, it looks like any other 2D monitor.
post #41 of 260
that's what I hoped to hear - thanks Brian. I was simply worried that the technology applied for passive 3D could have some effects in 2D - not about picture quality, but more about the sense of pixeling, and the sharpness and brightness of the screen. I would thank bedantaguru anyway, because answered to a lot of other questions.
At the end, I think I'm going at least to have a try: if you say that in 2D looks like a normal, decent, average monitor, and that in 3D outperforms with lack of resolution (my only fear in this technology) not being a noticeable annoying fact, why don't go for it? But in the meanwhile (waiting for the end of my holiday), I'm waiting anxiously your guesses, opinions and reviews, to be sure that this will be a good buy!

Again, thank you guys!
post #42 of 260
ledoweb, I know exactly what you mean. I purchased this monitor last week for exactly the same purposes you intend to buy it and although the 3D quality is superb, let me warn you, the 2D is downright awful. I happen to work long hours in front of the monitor everyday so I hoped the monitor could also be my primary monitor but the 2D quality of this monitor makes the text blurry and difficult to read. Not good for programming or using photoshop. You can barely read the panels. There's also the problem of the dim horizontal lines everywhere. Drove me nuts so I decided to return it to amazon for a full refund.
I can't afford to waste 300 dollars for a tv right now and I really need a bigger monitor than what I have right now, else I would have left the monitor as a 3D tv, because come to think of it, it would be the cheapest 3D tv available now.
So, unless you want a cheap 3D option, I would tell you to stay away from this monitor. Note that this is only based on my experience. It is possible that I received a defective model. Who knows.
post #43 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancho17 View Post

the 2D quality of this monitor makes the text blurry and difficult to read. Not good for programming or using photoshop. You can barely read the panels. There's also the problem of the dim horizontal lines everywhere.

Are you talking about 2D with glasses on? I agree that you'd never want to use it in that way, but with glasses off I see nothing like that. The 2D without glasses is actually a bit better than the 4 year old LCD panel it replaced.
post #44 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Are you talking about 2D with glasses on? I agree that you'd never want to use it in that way, but with glasses off I see nothing like that. The 2D without glasses is actually a bit better than the 4 year old LCD panel it replaced.

I am referring of course to the LG D2342P quality in 2D mode without glasses on. I am a web coder myself and working with that monitor caused some eye strain after a while. I felt the quality was extremely disappointing. Right now I am using an old viewsonic 19" lcd monitor and the difference is huge. Again, could have been a defective unit.
post #45 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancho17 View Post


...the 2D quality of this monitor makes the text blurry and difficult to read. Not good for programming or using photoshop. You can barely read the panels. There's also the problem of the dim horizontal lines everywhere.

I think you must have had a defective unit as I don't recognise your description of its 2D performance; mine is a definite improvement on the 6 year old 19" monitor that it replaced: text is sharp and easy to read and I've never seen a dim horizontal line anywhere.

One thing I did notice though: when I was experimenting with it in 2D mode, I switched the 3D L/R CHANGE on the LG's control panel to L-R(2/2) and then: the text on the upper 2/3rds of the screen looked slightly blurry appearing like bold text: switching it back to R-L(1/2) corrected it.
post #46 of 260
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiD View Post
I think you must have had a defective unit as I don't recognise your description of its 2D performance; mine is a definite improvement on the 6 year old 19" monitor that it replaced: text is sharp and easy to read and I've never seen a dim horizontal line anywhere.

One thing I did notice though: when I was experimenting with it in 2D mode, I switched the 3D L/R CHANGE on the LG's control panel to L-R(2/2) and then: the text on the upper 2/3rds of the screen looked slightly blurry appearing like bold text: switching it back to R-L(1/2) corrected it.
Yes, for the best 2D display, make sure the monitor's own 3D selection mode is turned off from the monitor front panel menu. When I leave the monitor in "Line Interlaced (4/4)" mode, the screen is a bit blurry.

For 2D use, make sure the 3D mode set from the monitor front panel control is "OFF (1/4)"
post #47 of 260
Are there any news on the 25" version of this. The LG announcement said there were 4 versions, 25" being the biggest of them.
post #48 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiD View Post

I think you must have had a defective unit as I don't recognise your description of its 2D performance; mine is a definite improvement on the 6 year old 19" monitor that it replaced: text is sharp and easy to read and I've never seen a dim horizontal line anywhere.

One thing I did notice though: when I was experimenting with it in 2D mode, I switched the 3D L/R CHANGE on the LG's control panel to L-R(2/2) and then: the text on the upper 2/3rds of the screen looked slightly blurry appearing like bold text: switching it back to R-L(1/2) corrected it.

Yeah that's exactly right I ALSO FACED SAME ISSUES.
Also tell you one thing when you are watching 3D for a bit long with your spectacles and 3D glasses too then after returning to 2D mode you may face the same.
Also adjust the 3D settings to off and L-R as R-L(1/2)
You should not face any problem.
post #49 of 260
I bought this LG monitor at Fry's. Sales personnel knew nothing about its function except to write a sales up. Not a problem as I did my research before going there. Opening the box LG did a good job of laying out everything to assemble and start it up. I connected it up to my Panasonic 3D BDT-350 player with a 1.4a hdmi. Every 3D dvd I played worked great including 3D avatar dvd. The two glasses were supplied. One was a clip-on and they were great. The only thing I noticed was a slight blur when subjects motion moved fast but I got used to it. Plenty of 3D pop for such a small 23" screen. the screen 3D & 2D color was perfect not dull like others mentioned. I could connect to my PC as all the software is included. Summary: I like this 3D display & the glasses so well I will buy the LG lw6500 3D tv 47"/55"/65" for my front room. Note: I had a MITS 65735 3D with xpand102/103 glasses and LG picture and color and pop is alot better.
post #50 of 260
Just wanted to point out that LG has a program called forteManager for fine tuning video calibrations on their monitors. You can create multiple profiles as well, so maybe it could be used to fine tune game settings or perhaps on the fly adjustments? Version 3 works via the graphics card, if it doesn't, and your driver is up to date use version 2. http://www.lg.com/global/fortemanage...r_overview.jsp
post #51 of 260
@3DNewb thanks man I was searching for this type of software directly from lg.
post #52 of 260
I just got my LG 23" in. I have to agree with Vancho, the visual quality isn't that great. I can see the black lines when watching 3D movies. I don't know if it i the nature of passive or its LG. In 2D, text isn't very crisp.

Or maybe Amazon shipped me Vancho's bad monitor :P
post #53 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by subferno View Post
I just got my LG 23" in. I have to agree with Vancho, the visual quality isn't that great. I can see the black lines when watching 3D movies. I don't know if it i the nature of passive or its LG. In 2D, text isn't very crisp.

Or maybe Amazon shipped me Vancho's bad monitor :P
Just try this few steps. And after that if you still facing trouble send back to AMAZON.

From LG Menu [Press Monitor Hard Button]
go to 3D [I assume You connected through DVI-D (This is the best way the monitor work with PCs I think)]
Change L-R option [If you connected through DVI-D only one option will be available]
[It's for 2D mode]
For 3D mode]
1)Update Tridef From their Official site to latest one
2)Restart after installation revert the monitor to factory default
3)If you have good GPU use hardware Color enhancement
4)Now go to 3D calibration and change the LR if you are not feeling any 3D effect
5)Check whether the model no is D2342PN not D2342P
6)Check Manufacturing date
if still no luck
then you should supply back to amazon
I have seen many treads around that related to this model purchased from AMAZON complaining the same thing.
post #54 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedantaguru View Post
Just try this few steps. And after that if you still facing trouble send back to AMAZON.

From LG Menu [Press Monitor Hard Button]
go to 3D [I assume You connected through DVI-D (This is the best way the monitor work with PCs I think)]
Change L-R option [If you connected through DVI-D only one option will be available]
[It's for 2D mode]
For 3D mode]
1)Update Tridef From their Official site to latest one
2)Restart after installation revert the monitor to factory default
3)If you have good GPU use hardware Color enhancement
4)Now go to 3D calibration and change the LR if you are not feeling any 3D effect
5)Check whether the model no is D2342PN not D2342P
6)Check Manufacturing date
if still no luck
then you should supply back to amazon
I have seen many treads around that related to this model purchased from AMAZON complaining the same thing.
Looking at the sticker, I see D2342P-PN so I am not sure which it actually means. Whats the difference?

I have it hooked up via HDMI so certain monitor functions are not accessible.

Why do I need to install TriDef and do these other color enhancements? I do a lot of photography work and I don't want my monitor to be off calibration.
post #55 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by subferno View Post

I can see the black lines when watching 3D movies. I don't know if it i the nature of passive or its LG. In 2D, text isn't very crisp.

The black lines are to be expected. That's the nature of passive tech. I don't know what's up with the blurry 2D text, though. Mine looks like every other digital LCD monitor. Close up, you should be able to see the individual pixels. If you're using Windows, you might also want to go through the Cleartype setup.

Also, this monitor does not have a standard gamma ramp. You'll want to use the ICC profile that came with the monitor.
post #56 of 260
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedantaguru View Post

Just try this few steps. And after that if you still facing trouble send back to AMAZON.

From LG Menu [Press Monitor Hard Button]
go to 3D [I assume You connected through DVI-D (This is the best way the monitor work with PCs I think)]
Change L-R option [If you connected through DVI-D only one option will be available]
[It's for 2D mode]
For 3D mode]
1)Update Tridef From their Official site to latest one
2)Restart after installation revert the monitor to factory default
3)If you have good GPU use hardware Color enhancement
4)Now go to 3D calibration and change the LR if you are not feeling any 3D effect
5)Check whether the model no is D2342PN not D2342P
6)Check Manufacturing date
if still no luck
then you should supply back to amazon
I have seen many treads around that related to this model purchased from AMAZON complaining the same thing.

I got mine from Amazon early in the game. Still photos I captured with Vegas from my TD10 videos and those stills included with tridef software look great. Games on PS3 are fantastic looking. Both MVC and SBS 3D videos look great.
post #57 of 260
@Richard Adams
Hey mate you showed me light man. Your review drive me to buy this ...
Now GUYS I have a good news for all I think.
[Unless someone already know the fact]

YOU CAN NOW SET 3D WALLPAPER WATCH 3D FROM ANY 3D SOFTWARE THAT SUPPORT ROW INTERLEAVED MODE

Did you guys know that?

Please let me know Also I'm Attaching one wallpaper directly retrieved from tridef file

JUST update LG auto-Stereo
connect using DVI-D[only that I have tried I can't say abt other]
and set the wallpaper
and wear the 3d glass

ENJOY!

Cool NA?

here is the Wallpaper

http://www.mediafire.com/?1b8jvguvxh0m05g
http://www.mediafire.com/?bo977tat7n7vxoe
post #58 of 260
@ bedantaguru and others

hello everbody, i have recently purchased Popcorn Hour A210 It can play 3D formats as claimed by them.Can you please confirm by visiting the link below whether it can it be used with Popcorn Hour A210.The price i am getting here in chandigarh is 15,800 (including tax), is the price as stated by you is inclusive of all taxes?


http://support.popcornhour.com/article.aspx?id=1130

thanks
post #59 of 260
@shareknow
Yeah Friend mine D2342PN takes 14,789/- Incl Tax But I heard that cost of that thing increasing a bit . Also the very same vendor asked for 16K in front of me to another customer.
Regarding Popcorn Hour Just check whether it support row interleaved method of display output. this is for DVI-D output.
And I have visited their site and MK3D file format. Regarding Side by Side or Above below native video if you connect popcorn hr in HDMI and select ordinary playback [I mean not 3d just playback of Side by side or above below ] then you can play in 3d just by selecting 3D signal type from LG menu.

I have not tested any MK3D as I have not any test file.
If you provide me any link I'll give you feedback.

Thanks mate
post #60 of 260
I just read on Engadget that LG recently announced two new monitors using IPS panels, one of them being 3D. In a PDF on the LG website it says "The D237IPS ensures there is no color shift regardless of the angle from which the monitor is viewed and consistent color and brightness also keep the 3D in perfect focus. The 3D IPS monitor broadens the viewing angle so that viewers can enjoy 3D from a far wider range of positions. Of course the response time of the display due to it being IPS will probably make it not very good for gaming. http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/29/l...-new-monitors/ http://www.lgnewsroom.com/newsroom/down_main.php?page=1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › LG D2342P 23" Passive 3D LED LCD Monitor