or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Panasonic TM900 vs TM90
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic TM900 vs TM90 - Page 3

post #61 of 164
I'm 99.9% certain that camcorderinfo got a bad batch of the TM900.... I've experienced ZERO autofocusing problems, and from what i've read, only a few other people had the focusing issue in the earlier units... Which were then replaced with units which didn't exhibit the problem
post #62 of 164
I got my 41.5mm filter from camera ace on ebay but it had maybe one full thread and wont screw in. Trying to return now.
post #63 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasberg View Post

I got my 41.5mm filter from camera ace on ebay but it had maybe one full thread and wont screw in. Trying to return now.

Filter or step ring? I wouldn't even try a 41.5mm filter. It would probably vignet even more than the step ring alone. I am expecting some with the step ring. I confirmed it is a one piece ring not a step up/down combo.

Looking at the camera I don't think there is much more than one of two threads so one turn should be all you get.
post #64 of 164
Sorry I meant step filter. It is not working because there is maybe 2mm of thread. I seems to not reach the threads on the camera.
post #65 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasberg View Post

I got my 41.5mm filter from camera ace on ebay but it had maybe one full thread and wont screw in. Trying to return now.

I thought I had this problem to and wrote him about it a little too soon. Try putting a little pressure on the step up ring while screwing it in. I thought mine to wouldn't screw in because it seemed as though the threads just kept on turning in the lens, but after I pushed on it some, it caught and screwed in just fine. I am uploading a video of the 41.5mm-46mm as I write this so I will post that in a few minutes.
post #66 of 164
Ok the video of the 41.5mm-46mm step up ring on my HDC-TM90 can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWx52K49_rA. I did order the 58mm step up ring to not have any vignetting because the seller said that even with the 52mm rings combined with the 28mm wide angle lens of the tm90, people were still experiencing some vignetting. But the seller sent me this 46mm one first, I guess as a freebie to try it out, but I am really hoping the 58mm step up ring doesn't have any vignetting as I will be putting on a polarizer, and polarizers aren't very thin to say the least. I don't have any filters yet and I don't know if I am going to spend any money on buying any filter for this 46mm ring because it will only make the vignetting worse. This is just to show the vignetting to anyone that is thinking of getting the 46mm ring. But as I state in the video, if you have this ring with filters attached you can counter act the vignetting by zooming in a bit and the vignetting disappears.
‪HDC-TM90 41.5mm-46mm Step up ring‬‏ - YouTube
post #67 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post

I thought I had this problem to and wrote him about it a little too soon. Try putting a little pressure on the step up ring while screwing it in. I thought mine to wouldn't screw in because it seemed as though the threads just kept on turning in the lens, but after I pushed on it some, it caught and screwed in just fine. I am uploading a video of the 41.5mm-46mm as I write this so I will post that in a few minutes.

Hey! I was just going to post the threads are not deep enough and tried putting a little bit of pressure and it grabbed on. Sweet! This is on good enough for a filter.

Also if you turn off image stabilization at 28mm you will not see any vignetting although I bet a filter will probably show up again. My polarizer lens hasn't arrived yet.
post #68 of 164
On second thought the step ring popped off in my hand tonight. Not enough thread to stay on. It needs a couple more turns and there is plenty more thread left on the camera.
post #69 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasberg View Post

I got my 41.5mm filter from camera ace on ebay but it had maybe one full thread and wont screw in. Trying to return now.

Talked to Camera ace and they know about the thread problem and contacted Panasonic. They are making a step up ring with the deeper threads. I don't have to send back the ring I have now. They will have the new rings in a little over a weeks time and will then ship a replacement. So I am good with that.
post #70 of 164
He told me the same thing.

To me it looks almost like the first couple of threads on the camera are a little tapered which makes it slight bigger.
post #71 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasberg View Post

He told me the same thing.

To me it looks almost like the first couple of threads on the camera are a little tapered which makes it slight bigger.

I picked up a Panasonic 46mm polarizer offered for their Lumix camera because i read it is very thin and high quality. With the step ring in place I tried it and I am pretty satisfied with the results. Just a slight zoom and its gone. Especially with IS turned off while panning at wide angle.
post #72 of 164
hi all

first time poster here. ive been reading through a lot of the threads on the panasonic camcoerders here. im currently completely torn between the TM90 and TM900 so was hoping some of you may help me out with some advice?

im only an amateur user. barely even used a camcorder before and basically im looking for one to film my upcoming wedding with and then to be used to film my children (when they arrive) and also to take on holidays such as the honeymoon etc.

budget-wise id prefer to save the cash by getting the TM90 however im still tossing up whether id appreciate the better image quality and other features of the 900

so...

will i even need/miss the manual focus?
same with the viewfinder? do i need it? what for?
are the image qualities comparable?

other than those few things im lead to believe both cameras are pretty much identical?

what would you guys recommend or suggest given my expected usage and the fact im far from a pro cam era user and im not going to be out making movies etc etc..

much apppreciated!
post #73 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by --b-- View Post

will i even need/miss the manual focus?
same with the viewfinder? do i need it? what for?
are the image qualities comparable?

TM90 has manual focus. I could use a manual focus ring, but can also use the extra money in something else (another TM90 ). For particular situations, TM90 manual focus is enough.

Viewfinder? well, that is important... I came from a 44mm equ. camera with VF and can see the need of a VF in a 28mm wide camera when you are outdoors - things get really small!! Just try to capture a distante plane or bird and you'll see what I mean.

Image quality wise, reviews point in same direction: very close, much closer than price gap!
post #74 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopereira View Post

TM90 has manual focus. I could use a manual focus ring, but can also use the extra money in something else (another TM90 ). For particular situations, TM90 manual focus is enough.

Viewfinder? well, that is important... I came from a 44mm equ. camera with VF and can see the need of a VF in a 28mm wide camera when you are outdoors - things get really small!! Just try to capture a distante plane or bird and you'll see what I mean.

Image quality wise, reviews point in same direction: very close, much closer than price gap!

I was a little worried about no VF too but found the display pretty easy to use in bright sunlight. The wide/long zoom is what sold me on the SD90 and its smaller. The numbers don't look like much but side by side its very noticable when I saw them in the store. Indoors shots in my house even with a 40 watt florescent bulb looks great. I tried my bedroom with some small reading lamps and the room looked brighter than it is with my own eyes. Especially using 30fps/slow shutter mode.

If you want the most res you can get then the TM900 is the one to get but to me the TM90 looks great on my 10 foot diagonal screen so I am completely happy. Oh and 28mm is best when indoors!
post #75 of 164
thanks guys

i think im pretty much sold on the cheaper TM90

are there any areas or feature where you guys think the TM90 really falls short of the TM900?
post #76 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by --b-- View Post

i think im pretty much sold on the cheaper TM90

Why not the SD90?
Quote:
Originally Posted by --b-- View Post

are there any areas or feature where you guys think the TM90 really falls short of the TM900?

What, again?
post #77 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Why not the SD90?

yep, either the SD90 or the TM90

Quote:


What, again?

are there any things the TM900 can do, that the TM90 cannot, which you think are important?
post #78 of 164
also, can anyone explain wht the 3MOS sensor does better than the single sensor?
post #79 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by --b-- View Post
also, can anyone explain wht the 3MOS sensor does better than the single sensor?
The 3 sensor design spreads the three primary colors that make up light as we see it. Red , Green and Blue. Spreading it out into three sensors is suppose to yield better dynamic range for each color...which should give you better low light results and better saturated colors. These days the technology is getting better and single sensors can do a great job. Lower resolution chips can be better at low light. Pixel size can make a difference too. Look at the new Canons. One chip yielding better low light results than the Panny 3 sensor cameras. Not quite the resolution though.
post #80 of 164
thanks Ronomy, really appreciate it

from what ive heard i think that the TM90 or SD90 is sufficient for me

as an amateur who has never owned a video camera before and only intends filming family occasions and the like. i dont really think the extra cost of the TM900 can be justified.
post #81 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by --b-- View Post
thanks Ronomy, really appreciate it

from what ive heard i think that the TM90 or SD90 is sufficient for me

as an amateur who has never owned a video camera before and only intends filming family occasions and the like. i dont really think the extra cost of the TM900 can be justified.
You could always go for the SD800 or SDT 750?
post #82 of 164
Theirs also the SD800 that I'll sometimes mention. It's $600 and has the same picture quality.


I already posted this link elsewhere but it can go here as well.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20199133
It's comparing the TM90 to the SDT750. I've read from a couple of users that the colors of the SD800/TM900 are better than the TM700/SDT750 but that's the closest comparison that I've seen. You can easily see that the person is a strong supporter of the TM90 but he ended up keeping the SDT750.

I'm going to be conducting a comparison and hopefully we'll have an SD90/TM90 and a TM900/SD800 to compare. I've always wanted to conduct a test with the best consumer camcorders from each company but I figured I might as well include the TM90 and I have to admit including it was partly because of this thread and another thread.

Just comparing the SD90/TM90 to the SD800/TM900 you'll get better colors, better low light capabilities, better good light capabilities, a time lapse feature and the ability to shoot in 24p. For sure I'll love to see for myself if the difference between the 2 classes of camcorders are big or small. Still, everybody's needs are different.
post #83 of 164
I have the TM90 and I know with my old 3 chip SD camera the colors were better back then so no doubt the TM900 and SD800 are probably better but if you want small with long zoom and wide angle lens the little TM90 is a great little camera. Colors still look very good and it tested very close to what the TM900 tested as far as accuracy and saturation. So you are not losing much going with the TM90.
post #84 of 164
You could also look at it this way. The TM90 tested higher resolution than all consumer cameras but the TM900, 800, 700. It also does better in low light than all last years cameras but the higher end Panny TM700. Plus you get very long zoom, 28mm wide, great image stabilization. All around great camera for around $400!

Also I have to have at least 28mm on my cameras so I always had a big screw on wide angle lens which makes the camera a lot bigger. Now I have a small camera with no big ass lens hanging off the front that fits in my pocket. Cool!
post #85 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by --b-- View Post
thanks guys

i think im pretty much sold on the cheaper TM90

are there any areas or feature where you guys think the TM90 really falls short of the TM900?
You want to sell your TM90 and then buy the TM900?
post #86 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Tse View Post

You want to sell your TM90 and then buy the TM900?

i dont have either camera at the moment

im currently trying to decide which one to buy.
post #87 of 164
I just sold a TM700 and got the TM90 and pocketed $270. I was an early adopter of the TM700 but I never used the manual focus ring,Head phone jack, and I was 50/50 on the view finder.

I love the size and 26X optical with 40x intelligent zoom and 28mm wide on the TM90. The only down side I see so far is the stupid 41.5mm filter and the knock off battery selection is not that great.
post #88 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasberg View Post

I just sold a TM700 and got the TM90 and pocketed $270. I was an early adopter of the TM700 but I never used the manual focus ring,Head phone jack, and I was 50/50 on the view finder.

I love the size and 26X optical with 40x intelligent zoom and 28mm wide on the TM90. The only down side I see so far is the stupid 41.5mm filter and the knock off battery selection is not that great.

There is a 41.5mm to 46mm step up ring on Ebay that will work. They are increasing the thread depth now so it will fit this camera. I'll post back in a week or so when I get a sample.
post #89 of 164
I'm waiting for one of those as well from Camera-Ace. Right now I have been taping a 40.5mm to 43mm step up on to use my DCR-250 for macro.
post #90 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasberg View Post

I'm waiting for one of those as well from Camera-Ace. Right now I have been taping a 40.5mm to 43mm step up on to use my DCR-250 for macro.

Thats right! I didn't recognize your user name...sorry about that!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Panasonic TM900 vs TM90