or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Yamaha RX-V867 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Yamaha RX-V867 Owners Thread - Page 33

post #961 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by d12d View Post

I currently have a Yamaha 867 and a 7.2 setup. Is there anyway to have 5.1 surround audio coming out of my rear speakers instead of my side speakers?

I would think you could go into the manual speaker set up and tell it you don't have a 7.2 configuration. Then you have the option of Bi-amping to get the most from the rear surround speakers. I haven't tried this since I only have a 4.1 configuration at this time. Not clean, but it should work. There is not a lot of 7.1 content yet, and I still use the remote's "music" button to tell the V867 I have 7.1 for personal tastes even in a 4.1 physical world. Sounds good to me. For movies I lose the DSP and go pure direct. I love those white buttons, but they can't change your physical configuration.

Or you could just switch the wires. [joke]

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #962 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I would think you could go into the manual speaker set up and tell it you don't have a 7.2 configuration. Then you have the option of Bi-amping to get the most from the rear surround speakers. I haven't tried this since I only have a 4.1 configuration at this time. Not clean, but it should work. There is not a lot of 7.1 content yet, and I still use the remote's "music" button to tell the V867 I have 7.1 for personal tastes even in a 4.1 physical world. Sounds good to me. For movies I lose the DSP and go pure direct. I love those white buttons, but they can't change your physical configuration.

Or you could just switch the wires. [joke]

I considered just switching wires and may still do that just to try it out but I would love a way to do it through the receiver so I can switch it back and forth.
post #963 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by d12d View Post

I considered just switching wires and may still do that just to try it out but I would love a way to do it through the receiver so I can switch it back and forth.

I don't think you can change physical configuration with the scene buttons. But there may be an external switch that could do it. I don't know of one though.
post #964 of 1176
^^^
Why not just engage the PLIIx decoder via the "Extended Surround" setting? Isn't that the whole reason you have a 7.2 setup in the first place?
post #965 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

^^^
Why not just engage the PLIIx decoder via the "Extended Surround" setting? Isn't that the whole reason you have a 7.2 setup in the first place?

For some reason it wasn't letting me select that from the remote. When I went in to the extended surrounds settings and changed it from auto to PLIIX it changed fine. Thanks for the help!!
post #966 of 1176
Hi,

I have my computer connected to Yamaha RX-V871 vid HDMI input and the Receiver is connected to a TV. But I see repeated flickers on my TV when i use the PC. The flickers does not repeat at the same time frequency. But the frequency may be between 1 and 2 mins I guss. If I connect the PC directly to the TV there is no flicker at all. I tried to change the display frequency on my Computer and still no results. I am not using a dedicated display card, but rather the onboard display on my mother board. Any help would be really appreciated as it is getting really annoying while wathing some movie etc.

Thanks
Saji
post #967 of 1176
I'm having a strange problem accessing music on my network. I have a WHS V1 hosting my music using Squeeze Server. It used to show up on the receiver, but now it isn't. I can see it when I browse the network on a pc and my Squeezebox radio can play from it just fine. I can't figure out why the receiver isn't seeing it. This happened briefly last week, but then it reappeared after the last microsoft security induced reboot.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

Greg
post #968 of 1176
I can't get Radio Tuner to work on Zone 2.

What could I be overlooking? I am able to get net radio and Pandora to work and access music files on my network and stream music files on my iPhone with no problem. But I have not been able to get the radio tuner to work in zone 2. I have turned party mode on and off and enabled everything I can think of but I can't figure out why the tuner won't work in zone two. Being analog, I figured that would be the easiest item to get working. Any suggestions of settings I should check would be appreciated.
post #969 of 1176
It works fine for me, but I'm sending it to an external amp if that matters.
post #970 of 1176
HI all. I need some help regarding 3D, HMDI OUT2, and external sound processing.

I really like the V867, but I slightly preferred the sound of the HK AVRs that I have had in the past. What I am wanting to do is view 3D content:

PS3 > V867 > 3D TV via V867 HDMI OUT1

and then pass sound to an older gen HK AVR (254 or 247)

PS3 > V867 > HK AVR via V867 HDMI OUT2

- Since the older HK receiver will not be 3D compatible should there be any issues doing this?
- Is there a way to only pass audio from the V867 over HDMI OUT2?
- Would this be more of an HDMI versioning compatibility issue?

I tried to test using a second non-3D television, but since it would not accept the video signal, there was no sound either, I do not have a spare receiver to test with and I am hoping to get some advice before laying out funds.

TIA
post #971 of 1176
As far as I know the two HDMI outputs have to be exactly the same format, so if the HK AVR won't accept a 3D signal then it won't be sent to your display either. There's really no such thing as an audio-only HDMI signal, because audio is sent during unused parts of the video signal (the blanking period).

The 867 has two physical HDMI transmitter chips, but since they are both fed from the same source they are forced to output the same format. Some of the new models just coming out have an independent HDMI output for zone 2, but I still don't think it will do what you want (not sure though).

Your best best for 3D Blu-rays might be to replace the PS3 with a new player that has two outputs (these are designed to send 3D video to a display while sending a non-3D signal contain audio to an older AVR).
post #972 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckett View Post

HI all. I need some help regarding 3D, HMDI OUT2, and external sound processing.
I really like the V867, but I slightly preferred the sound of the HK AVRs that I have had in the past. What I am wanting to do is view 3D content:
PS3 > V867 > 3D TV via V867 HDMI OUT1
and then pass sound to an older gen HK AVR (254 or 247)
PS3 > V867 > HK AVR via V867 HDMI OUT2
- Since the older HK receiver will not be 3D compatible should there be any issues doing this?
- Is there a way to only pass audio from the V867 over HDMI OUT2?
- Would this be more of an HDMI versioning compatibility issue?
I tried to test using a second non-3D television, but since it would not accept the video signal, there was no sound either, I do not have a spare receiver to test with and I am hoping to get some advice before laying out funds.
TIA

It appears from the following quote that the 867 can indeed output two different resolutions at the same time:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwood2 View Post

Hooked up mine last night and I am pretty happy. Some things I learned:

HDMI outputs - hooked up a 720P set and a 1080p set to output 1 and 2. Signal for the 1080p set was NOT downgraded to 720P when the the 720p set was on. There is a second where the screen goes out when the other set is turned on or off but the signals appear to be independent of each other.
.

However, "scottwood2" did not state whether he tested it further with a 3D signal. You might consider sending him a pm to find out if he tested this capability.
post #973 of 1176
The 720p set was probably accepting the 1080p signal (and scaling it internally to 720p). Lots of 720p sets can do that.

Looking at the Service Manual for the 1067 (I don't have one for the 867 but it should be the same), the two HDMI transmitter chips are always fed the same video signal and they don't contain a scaler that could change the resolution. Hence the two outputs have to be the same.
Edited by kriktsemaj99 - 7/5/12 at 8:37am
post #974 of 1176
I'm hoping someone can answer the following question for me:

I have a Yamaha RX-V867 and I was thinking of ordering a pair of Polk LSi-15's now that factory refurbished stock is able to be purchased from Polk Audio through ebay for fairly cheap ($850/pair).

Can the RX-V867 handle the 4-ohm load of the LSi15's or do I risk damaging the amplifier and/or speakers with this setup? And would it be better to "bi-amp" the LSi-15's or would this not make much of a difference.

I realize that purchasing a higher powered dedicated amplifier for the Polks would be a much better option, and I would likely do this in the near future, but in the meantime can I safely drive these speakers with the RX-V867?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Brent
post #975 of 1176
Hello all,

I tried to search this topic but couldn't find any similar problems.

I fired up my receiver yesterday after two weeks of being on vacation and the two HDMI inputs that I usually use (HDMI 1, HDMI 2) were not passing signals through to the receiver. The HDMI output seems to be working fine though (i.e, was able to see OSD, setup screen, etc).

I then tried hooking up one of my devices to HDMI 3 and it seemed to work fine. Might the HDMI inputs (HDMI 1, HDMI 2) be fried/broken? Should I try a reset of all settings to see if it'll "refresh the system"?

Thanks for any help!
post #976 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Esquandola View Post

Hello all,
I tried to search this topic but couldn't find any similar problems.
I fired up my receiver yesterday after two weeks of being on vacation and the two HDMI inputs that I usually use (HDMI 1, HDMI 2) were not passing signals through to the receiver. The HDMI output seems to be working fine though (i.e, was able to see OSD, setup screen, etc).
I then tried hooking up one of my devices to HDMI 3 and it seemed to work fine. Might the HDMI inputs (HDMI 1, HDMI 2) be fried/broken? Should I try a reset of all settings to see if it'll "refresh the system"?
Thanks for any help!

I would do the reset. What's to lose? And you still have two more.
post #977 of 1176
Hi guys, had a quick question for you. I've always had my directv box connected to the 867 via optical, but my new driectv box does not have optical, it has digital coax. so i either need to get a new digital coax cable or connect the directv dvr to the 867 via hdmi.

is there any signal deterioration in going hdmi pass-through on the 867? i rarely use surround sound while watching the directv, mostly just use it for blu-rays, so 99% of my directv viewing will be in hdmi pass-through mode.

thanks for any help
post #978 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post

Hi guys, had a quick question for you. I've always had my directv box connected to the 867 via optical, but my new driectv box does not have optical, it has digital coax. so i either need to get a new digital coax cable or connect the directv dvr to the 867 via hdmi.
is there any signal deterioration in going hdmi pass-through on the 867? i rarely use surround sound while watching the directv, mostly just use it for blu-rays, so 99% of my directv viewing will be in hdmi pass-through mode.
thanks for any help
Since DSP is not important for you, I would use HDMI. I tried it once and could not find any faults. Coax beats optical only because it is physically more tolerant. But since I use HDMI in an active mode only, you may get other opinions.
post #979 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Since DSP is not important for you, I would use HDMI. I tried it once and could not find any faults. Coax beats optical only because it is physically more tolerant. But since I use HDMI in an active mode only, you may get other opinions.

thanks for the reply
post #980 of 1176
Why aren't you just using hdmi for audio anyway?
post #981 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Why aren't you just using hdmi for audio anyway?

since i very rarely use surround sound while watching my directv i just used the optical for the rare occasion i did want SS. i had read some reports of HD signal being altered(not the 867) if run through a receiver and i just wanted to avoid any problems with that so i hooked the hdmi from directv directly to my tv. i just didn't know if the 867 messed with the picture or if it just passed it through without any modifications.
post #982 of 1176
My 2 front speakers are set up for bi-amp operation. I'm trying to use a separate power amp for the woofers. I cannot get a signal out of the rear/sur/bi-amp pre-amp outputs. Set-up has been done for 5.1/biamp (defeats rear surrounds). Does anyone have this setup working?
post #983 of 1176
TV's have speakers?
post #984 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

TV's have speakers?

Sometimes they face the rear and hope they won't be noticed.
post #985 of 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

TV's have speakers?
Actually, I suspect the concept of a TV with speakers might stay around for longer than you expect! biggrin.gif

The 85" prototype|proof-of-concept|"roadshow" UHDTV from NHK pictured at this 2011 EBU demo (link) is designed to provide full 22.2 channel surround sound playback in rooms where installing 22 separate satellite speakers is impractical; instead, it uses 100+ "small" speaker units in a frame around all four sides of the display, plus some proprietary active-DSP|soundbar-style technology, to deliver "the same" playback soundfield to the audience.

And I'm guessing there might have been a separate sub or two . . . but we don't know if there was also (e.g.) a pair of "tallboy" speaker arrays placed in the rear corners of the room! cool.gif

_
Edited by SoundChex - 8/23/12 at 9:21am
post #986 of 1176
Response from the Yamaha tech rep "The pre-outs are not used when you select Bi-amp and the receiver can only process 5.1. ".
Disappointing.
post #987 of 1176
Is there something wrong with my FM tuner? I can get stations fine but I have an fm broadcaster from my computer upstairs, but my fm tuner on the yamaha can never pick it up. I actually placed my fm broadcaster right next to the yamaha fm antenna and it picked it up briefly, but when I changed the fm stations and then tried to go back, I heard nothing. I have no problem picking up the signal on my crappy clock/radio and had no problems with an old harmon kardon downstairs previously. Any suggestions?
post #988 of 1176
Ok so I've had my receiver for about a year now, and yesterday as I was watching a blue-ray showing a friend my setup (at a good volume), the center channel stopped working. I have had this happen before, my sub literally just shook loose a connection to either my receiver or the back of the speaker terminal. I checked all connections and they were fine. So I did a check to see if the speaker would work on another channel, and it worked fine when trying it on all other channels, so I know that its not the speaker. It must be that center channel that went out on the receiver right? Should I just call yamaha and swap out the receiver? Its still under warranty right?
post #989 of 1176
Run new wires? Make sure there isn't a short too.
post #990 of 1176
Hello, i just joined this forum and was thrilled that the Yamaha RX-V867 has its own thread. I recently bought this receiver and am trying to learn the interface. One of the simplest things I wanted to try was to connect my SONY CDP-C615 CD changer to the receiver to listen to some music. I know, old tech but I have a lot of CD's. Anyway, I connected the changer to the receiver using standard audio cables and could not get sound to come out through the speakers. I tried digital audio optical cable and still nothing. I am hoping that i am just missing a step in the configuration process but can't determine what that is. Any help would be appreciated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Yamaha RX-V867 Owners Thread