or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 49

post #1441 of 2352
^^
Yes. DD PLIIx will expand to either 6.1 or 7.1.
post #1442 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydas View Post

Wondering if anyone could help on an issue I'm having...I have my HTPC hooked up via HDMI to the NR709. (using HDMI PC). When I plug in the NR709 comes up as a device in windows 7 and I have sound coming out of AVR. However, when I go to configure the device in win 7 I can't get any test tones to come out under various configs (stereo, 5.1, etc.) Also, when playing a source on the PC the volume indicator on the device screen (NR709) does not show any sound coming out but there is sound coming out?

The big issue I'm having is that I can't get True HD or DTS HD sources to play on the AVR...The PC shows bitstreaming but no sound, regular dolby digital and dts tracks play fine though?

My guess is that Win 7 is not using the AVR to play sounds but for the life of me I can't find the issue?

Make sure you are using the WASAPI connection?
What kind of software you use for HTPC and what video card are you using?
post #1443 of 2352
Anybody ever have a problem with Audyssey and the subwoofer? I'm only getting around 5 chirps when I run it. It stops midway. It completes the setup just fine, but I'm wondering if it's really eq'ing the sub.

I guess the first step is a factory reset, though I've already done a firmware upgrade. Thought that would suffice.
post #1444 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Hemi View Post

Anybody ever have a problem with Audyssey and the subwoofer? I'm only getting around 5 chirps when I run it. It stops midway. It completes the setup just fine, but I'm wondering if it's really eq'ing the sub.

I guess the first step is a factory reset, though I've already done a firmware upgrade. Thought that would suffice.

I assumed that was normal. The finished product sounds fine to me.
post #1445 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlind01 View Post

Make sure you are using the WASAPI connection?
What kind of software you use for HTPC and what video card are you using?

Using sandybridge on board grpahics with media browser..
post #1446 of 2352
For anyone, when I try to send test tones from config in wondows 7 sound, on the AVR display, 'HDMI' blinks and no sound? anyone know what that means?
when i start the test tones the AVR clicks like it sees a signal but no sound?
post #1447 of 2352
When I connect a laptop to my 709 to stream TV from the Internet I get picture on the TV but the audio only comes from the laptop's speakers. This happens whether I connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI input on the back of the 709 (labeled PC) or the HDMI input on the front (AUX). I can see the 709 as an audio device in the PC's volume mixer, but I will not get any sound from the speakers connected to the 709. I have tried with several HDMI cables and two different laptops (Win7 and Vista). If I use an analog audio cable the audio gets through, but I would like to avoid this extra cable. What do I do wrong?
post #1448 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Hemi View Post


Meanwhile, I'm glad to see my newly-unpacked 709 has S-Video connections, though I don't really know why. I mean, how far back exactly does the way-back machine go? No matter, I've got a VHS recorder that I really want to see what the video chips in the amp can do to that signal.

I'm looking for a new receiver but can't decide.At the moment I have a 15 year old Kenwood so I haven't been up to date for a while :-)

The only upscaling I would need is for a DVD recorder with S-video output.
So how does the 709 handle this for you, is the picture much better?

On the other hand I would like to check out the new 616 but no S-video inputs anymore. But after reading the forums and finding out how many problems people have with Onkyo I'm not sure if I should go with Onkyo.Seems like every receiver has some kind of productionproblem.

As I use my receiver 80% of the time for movies and 20% for music Onkyo seems the way to go I guess. And music would have to be by network.

Another question: Can you connect a tv as main output and upscale to 1080p and connect a projector as sub output and upscale to 1080i ?
The tv and projector don't have to output at the same time.I can only watch one at a time.

Thanks for any info
post #1449 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskaalb View Post

When I connect a laptop to my 709 to stream TV from the Internet I get picture on the TV but the audio only comes from the laptop's speakers. This happens whether I connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI input on the back of the 709 (labeled PC) or the HDMI input on the front (AUX). I can see the 709 as an audio device in the PC's volume mixer, but I will not get any sound from the speakers connected to the 709. I have tried with several HDMI cables and two different laptops (Win7 and Vista). If I use an analog audio cable the audio gets through, but I would like to avoid this extra cable. What do I do wrong?

Strange. I've been connecting via HDMI on my AUX port just fine with audio and video on my old 707 and 709. I don't even go into control panel, I just connect the HDMI and unmute the PC speaker and stream. In Setup, the INPUT/OUTPUT, 2. HDMI my AUX says front. In 1.3 and 1.4 it's not mapped and just "---"

Very strange...
post #1450 of 2352
Anyone? what does it mean when on the AVE display HDMI blinks and I get no sound? (but I do have video)
post #1451 of 2352
I have a really basic question regarding the display on the 709, itself: Is it possible to set up and tweak all of the settings using the front display only, or is an attached TV required to have access to all of the settings?

Thanks for any help with this!
post #1452 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrojohn View Post

I have a really basic question regarding the display on the 709, itself: Is it possible to set up and tweak all of the settings using the front display only, or is an attached TV required to have access to all of the settings?

Thanks for any help with this!

I have a projector and have completely set up the system without turning on the display, including running Audyssey, adjusting the levels, and configuring the sources and inputs. You have to use the cursor keys, ok and return buttons
post #1453 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

I have a projector and have completely set up the system without turning on the display, including running Audyssey, adjusting the levels, and configuring the sources and inputs. You have to use the cursor keys, ok and return buttons

Thanks for your response! It looks like to 709 will fit my needs perfectly!
post #1454 of 2352
Hi, hope someone could advise/help me. I just purchased the Onkyo 709. I only have two speakers connected - a pair of old Acoustic Research AR-4X. I'm finding I'm having to put the volume up to about 45.0-50.0 in order for the level to be decent. Same when I plug in headphones. Is this normal?
Thanks in advance.
post #1455 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedegasbulbo View Post

Hi, hope someone could advise/help me. I just purchased the Onkyo 709. I only have two speakers connected - a pair of old Acoustic Research AR-4X. I'm finding I'm having to put the volume up to about 45.0-50.0 in order for the level to be decent. Same when I plug in headphones. Is this normal?
Thanks in advance.

Yes it is, don't worry
post #1456 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibsie View Post

Yes it is, don't worry

Phew! Thanks. Was worried for a bit! Is there are reason/explanation? I'm new to all this- it seems my older stereos would be louder at a lower volume and I know this Onkyo is more wattage. Sorry if this is a basic question.
post #1457 of 2352
I have a Maverick tube dac lying around, what would be the best way to utilize it out of curiosity, cd in or multichannel in? or would both inputs be re-dac'ed by the onkyo's?
post #1458 of 2352
^^
Not using it at all. The benefit of Audyssey will generally outweigh any external DAC. Audyssey is disabled with the multi channel analog inputs.
post #1459 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedegasbulbo View Post

Phew! Thanks. Was worried for a bit! Is there are reason/explanation? I'm new to all this- it seems my older stereos would be louder at a lower volume and I know this Onkyo is more wattage. Sorry if this is a basic question.

The Onkyo uses a logarithmic volume scale which requires at least 50 (TV) -75 (Movies) volume.
post #1460 of 2352
I was very happy to discover that this Onkyo can play back lossless FLAC files from USB cards or storage devices attached to the USB dock on the front panel. However, mine seems to be inserting a second or two of silence between tracks, which is not desirable when one song is supposed to flow directly into another. Playing the same files via VLC Media Player on my PC yields seamless playback, so I know it's not the source material.

Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a cure, or is this just the Onkyo analyzing the file in preparation for playing it?

Cheers!
post #1461 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The Onkyo uses a logarithmic volume scale which requires at least 50 (TV) -75 (Movies) volume.

or you can change it to Reference (THX) under setup/misc/audio, which is the way I have it, since i have been using that scale forever
post #1462 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mam01 View Post

or you can change it to Reference (THX) under setup/misc/audio, which is the way I have it, since i have been using that scale forever

Thanks - I'll give that a try tonight to see if that makes more sense to me! When jdsmoothie says
Quote:


The Onkyo uses a logarithmic volume scale which requires at least 50 (TV) -75 (Movies) volume.

Where do CDs and the USB input fall into that scale?
post #1463 of 2352
I just purchased Onkyo's wireless USB for accessing the net feature.

The first time, in order to connect, I had to enable ssid broadcasting. However, the next time around, I was unable to connect. Since I had disabled the ssid broadcast (which is the way i prefer) after my initial Onkyo net connect, I suspect it requires the ssid to be enable!!!

Anyone has experience with Onkyo's wireless usb? Is my problem a defective usb or its a poorly designed wireless usb by Onkyo, which then becomes useless for me?
post #1464 of 2352
I am planning on getting this Receiver but would like some impressions on the Upscaling. I know it says it has a 4k chip but how good is the 1080P Upscaling ?
post #1465 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by menaceuk View Post

I am planning on getting this Receiver but would like some impressions on the Upscaling. I know it says it has a 4k chip but how good is the 1080P Upscaling ?

it does a much better job of 1080p scaling than my projector does (optoma hd3300). i've found it very useful
post #1466 of 2352
For me, it does better than the TV (Panasonic ST30), but I think the Oppo BDP-83 does a little better, so I have the Oppo scale DVDs and the receiver do everything else.

I also think I notice its deinterlacing more than I notice its scaling. I have UVerse. Setting the UVerse box to 1080i and letting the receiver deinterlace to 1080p is better than letting the TV deinterlace and it's also better than setting the UVerse box to 720p and letting the receiver scale to 1080p surprisingly even for 720p channels.

Although I can notice these things when I look, none of the scaling differences are night and day to me however.
post #1467 of 2352
what's the easiest way to play my iTunes library through the 709? I have the AVR connected to my home network and I have iTunes home sharing turned on. I don't have a direct connection between my computer and my avr - other than both being connected to my router via ethernet.

I am particularly interested in playing my tunes in Zone 2 while controlling the AVR with the Yamaha app on my iPhone / iPad.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
post #1468 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie View Post

what's the easiest way to play my iTunes library through the 709? I have the AVR connected to my home network and I have iTunes home sharing turned on. I don't have a direct connection between my computer and my avr - other than both being connected to my router via ethernet.

I am particularly interested in playing my tunes in Zone 2 while controlling the AVR with the Yamaha app on my iPhone / iPad.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible. I'm not aware of iTune support through the 709 network connectivity. There are several apps in the networking menu, and iTunes isn't one of them. No mention in the manual either.

The closest you can achieve playing music from your iTunes library is to buy the Onkyo IPhone Dock and play from your Iphone as the Source for Zone 2.
post #1469 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible. I'm not aware of iTune support through the 709 network connectivity. There are several apps in the networking menu, and iTunes isn't one of them. No mention in the manual either.

The closest you can achieve playing music from your iTunes library is to buy the Onkyo IPhone Dock and play from your Iphone as the Source for Zone 2.

if this is true it's yet another strike against Onkyo (in my opinion). This is my 4th Onkyo product (605, 806, 5507, and now the 709). My basement AVR is a Yamaha and other than the lack of Audyssey the Yamaha is so much easier to use. It's amazing how much of a difference there is just because of the better functionality of the iPhone app. On the Yamaha, you can play music from your iPhone on the AVR wirelessly (not on the Onkyo). On the Yamaha you can stream your iTunes (not on the Onkyo). Zone 2 plays from the Yamaha Zone 2 outs which means you can control the volume via the AVR (not on the Onkyo unless you use the speaker terminals). This makes me almost as mad as the fact that if I want to watch the Phillies where I live i MUST get Comcast. SMH.
post #1470 of 2352
Yeah, the Onkyo doesn't have airplay. Denons have airplay and Audyssey but you lose other things. You can get an Apple TV for $99 which would do what you want.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread