or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 68

post #2011 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWRecords View Post

I have another quick question, what type of account is required to use the Spotify App with this receiver? Spotify has three account options: Free(which I don't believe will work), Unlimited and Premium. Do I need the full Premium account or will the Unlimited account work?
Thanks again,
Matt

Feel free to download the manual in the link i posted above
post #2012 of 2352
I have a Oppo 103 or order. It will replace a Sony SACD player and a Samsung 3D BD player. I'm trying to find out if I'll be able to enjoy SACD and DVD Audio on the Oppo through the 709 via HDMI, or will I still be relagated to the multi-channel analog inputs?
post #2013 of 2352
Is it possible to have the Component Pass-Through when the Receiver is off? Right now I have my PC connected with HDMI and Cable box with Component, so that I can connect my Vulkano (same as slingshot) box to the Component Monitor, that allows me to watch my home DVR when I'm not home or from one of the rooms that doesn't have TV/Cable on a laptop. However, it is passing through the HDMI from my PC to the TV when the receiver is off, but the Cable Component only seems to go through if the receiver is on?

Thanks!
post #2014 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSZsr View Post


Unplug the receiver for 60 seconds then plug it in. Wait another 60 seconds and go into setup and check the network settings.


Do you have sound in other modes??


Thanks Good people at AVS! I was having very perplexing and intermittent NET connect issues.

Unplugging Ethernet and power for 60 seconds was the ticket. Back to enjoying my HQ Flacs!
post #2015 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I have a Oppo 103 or order. It will replace a Sony SACD player and a Samsung 3D BD player. I'm trying to find out if I'll be able to enjoy SACD and DVD Audio on the Oppo through the 709 via HDMI, or will I still be relagated to the multi-channel analog inputs?
I think you might have to step up to the 809 or 818 for SACD via HDMI. For the 709, it could be the multi-channel input. Check the manual for the 709 or give Oppo a call.
post #2016 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

Feel free to download the manual in the link i posted above

Thanks for the response, but the manual does not answer the question.

Matt
post #2017 of 2352
How do I set up my 709 to pass component input (cable box) thru its component outputs and use HDMI outs for the 3 sources connected to HDMI inputs?
post #2018 of 2352
@jwhart, I tried that with mine, I think it'll pass through Component to monitor component once you connected, but the Receiver has to be powered on. It'll also mirror it through the HDMI output, so you don't have to run another set of outputs to your TV.
post #2019 of 2352
Where's the button to switch between surround and stereo?
post #2020 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhart View Post

Where's the button to switch between surround and stereo?
You can use the listening mode buttons on the remote - pg 35 of your manual. Or, use the home button, then navigate to and select the listening mode you would like.
post #2021 of 2352
When I had the TX-705, Harmony was able to add a button for both on the front screen of my "watch DVD's" activity which was very convenient; that's what I'm looking for. I would probably need the codes to do that.

Thanks,

Jack
post #2022 of 2352
Hi,
I have the same with Audyssey, after months of trying, I turned it off all together.
Just doesn't sound natural.
Did the calibration but I am not using the Audyssey curves.
When you turn Audyssey on it seems to be a lot better at first, but after a while I became tired from it.
Something was not right, It just didn't sound as good as my old Amplifier.
I recalibreted the system more then 20 times but was never satisfied.
Believe me, turn it off and after a few minutes you will notice how natural your amplifier can sound.

Twan
post #2023 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by twanvlem View Post

Hi,
I have the same with Audyssey, after months of trying, I turned it off all together.
Just doesn't sound natural.
Did the calibration but I am not using the Audyssey curves.
When you turn Audyssey on it seems to be a lot better at first, but after a while I became tired from it.
Something was not right, It just didn't sound as good as my old Amplifier.
I recalibreted the system more then 20 times but was never satisfied.
Believe me, turn it off and after a few minutes you will notice how natural your amplifier can sound.
Twan

Sorry forgot to mention that I do use Dolby Volume.
Dolby Volume is great.
post #2024 of 2352
I thought that the 709 had a USB port on the rear panel as well? Also, is there anything I need to do to feed stereo L&R from the Zone 2 outputs to a receiver for auxiliary speakers from the RCA outputs? Is it already enabled or does it have to be set up?
post #2025 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by twanvlem View Post

Sorry forgot to mention that I do use Dolby Volume.
Dolby Volume is great.

Check the thread below:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1

What are you using for speakers? When I turn Audyssey off, my speakers sound a little flat. Have you compared the output on Pure Audio to Audyssey?
post #2026 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhart View Post

I thought that the 709 had a USB port on the rear panel as well? Also, is there anything I need to do to feed stereo L&R from the Zone 2 outputs to a receiver for auxiliary speakers from the RCA outputs? Is it already enabled or does it have to be set up?

No USB port on the back.
I never used Zone 2 but AFAIK, the choice is between Powered Zone2 (5.1 max then) or Unpowered Zone2 (powered from the 2 red/white cinch plugs using an external AMP; 7.1 max then).
post #2027 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

2) My projector has an RS232 port on it. The only thing I ever do with the projector is turn it on and off. I only have the HDMI from the AVR plugged into, and I never change the color or other settings (and if I really need to, I'll just grab the remote for it). The 709 has an RS232 port on it. Can I set up the 709 to turn the projector on and off using that port? The manual basically just lists that the RS232 exists, but gives no indication on how to use it.

So I never saw anyone respond to this. Is this possible? Right now I did get the code in to make the AVR 'TV' buttons turn the Epson Projector on and off, however, you have to hit the power button twice on the Epson to make it turn off, and the AVR remote can't seem to handle that in a macro.

Also, anyone figure out how to make this remote work with Microsoft Media Center IR Receivers short of just the 'learn' function?
post #2028 of 2352
If you don't get an answer here, call Onkyo's free technical support number; I've found them pretty good at answering questions and assisting with issues.
post #2029 of 2352
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. In the meantime, a couple of likely dumb questions hopefully some of you guys can answer for me!

1) I've never used a Zone 2 before and despite reading the manual, having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around how it works. It says that I can have Zone 1 and Zone 2 using two different input sources, which makes sense, but it doesn't explicitly say that I can have them using the SAME source. So for instance, say i am watching a movie and I want it playing audio in both zones. Will it do that, and will Zone 1 still be 5.1 in all its glory if zone two is just stereo?

2) This gets to my next question. I am trying to basically pass my HTPC through the 709 and display on a projector in one room and a small TV with speakers in the other. So far, it only passes the video out to the second monitor unless I set it up to pass through when the 709 is off, of course then I have no audio in Zone 1. Is there anyway to make it do have audio in both? Only thing I can really think of is the Zone 2 from my question above.

Thanks!
post #2030 of 2352
Zone2 is only analog (and built-in, like FM tuner, NET sources I think etc.).
No HDMI will pass to Zone2. You need to plug the source with the red/white cinch so you can use it on Zone2, unfortunately.
post #2031 of 2352
Thanks. That is unfortunate.
post #2032 of 2352
Anyone still getting hdmi blackouts/dropouts? I put the latest firmware on my 709, as well as my Samsung TV yesterday. I tried able connected to receiver via both HDMI and Component, but receiver to TV with HDMI. Every so often I get a 2-4 second black drop out, sound continues. Sometimes it's several within a couple of minutes, but sometimes they are hours or even days apart. I thought the latest firmware had fixed this. But it's pretty annoying. Tried different HDMI cables, same result.
post #2033 of 2352
Good news! But first the bad...

Onkyo "customer service," after yesterday finally reaching the guy who told me to call him personally, would do nothing about the my networking problem.

After a month+, finally success on having my 709 access my network. And no thanks to Onkyo "customer service" who washed their hands of the whole matter.

So picture this:
In my office/study is where the Cox cable comes in to the cable modem and then to my D-Link wireless router.

Then I ran a 100ft Ethernet cable from a port of the D-Link over the roof to the other side of the house, through the garage wall and into my equipment cabinet.

That Ethernet cable goes into the WAN input on the wired TP-LINK router in the closet. Seems it should be fine?

NOOOO... the Support for the wired router tells me that the Ethernet has to go into one of the OUTPUT ports, which makes the router into a glorified switcher.

And now the network address matches my original,and my iPhone App immediately finds the 709 on my network, AND THAT'S IT!

Simply done and how stupid could Onkyo be? Surely I wasn't the first owner in the world to use 2 routers.

Now I feel confident that I'm keeping it and I can start the real setup.

This was not the Onkyo company that I sold advertising to 20 years ago!
post #2034 of 2352
Hi, I'm new to this forum and first of all I want to say Hi to all of YOU!
I have had TX-NR709 for over a year now and I updated my Onkyo to the latest firmware roughly month ago. I don't know exactly but sems to me that my Onkyo is somehow less loud than it used to be. I used to put it on a scale to 50 max 55. Now it seems to me that on some occasions even 60 is to low. Has some of you had this kind of issue? Could the firmware update made some changes to Audyssey setup and should I run it again. Are there any specified setup for Onkyo 709 that I should stick to, i so where could I find them.
THNX in advance!

P.S. Rest of the setup: Klipsch RF-63 front, RC-64 center and RS-52 II surround, Noontec V8 NAS media player.
post #2035 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by merceg100 View Post

Hi, I'm new to this forum and first of all I want to say Hi to all of YOU!
I have had TX-NR709 for over a year now and I updated my Onkyo to the latest firmware roughly month ago. I don't know exactly but sems to me that my Onkyo is somehow less loud than it used to be. I used to put it on a scale to 50 max 55. Now it seems to me that on some occasions even 60 is to low. Has some of you had this kind of issue? Could the firmware update made some changes to Audyssey setup and should I run it again. Are there any specified setup for Onkyo 709 that I should stick to, i so where could I find them.
THNX in advance!
P.S. Rest of the setup: Klipsch RF-63 front, RC-64 center and RS-52 II surround, Noontec V8 NAS media player.


I think what has happened is your IntelliVolume control settings have changed with the software update.. In the setup mode go to Source Setup scroll through the settings and see what you have for the settings for IntelliVolume the default is 0 db and you can increase the input level to as much a +12db. This setting is designed to tweak the gain levels on each input area to make up for different line input gains from external devices.
post #2036 of 2352
I have a question about my NR709: What is the signal source for the headphone jack, from the finals, from the pre-amp or does it have a dedicated amp for this function. I can not find the answer.

Thanks.
post #2037 of 2352
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

New STB. Comcast - Cisco RNG150N via HDMI to NR709 feeding MItsubishi HC3800 PJ. STB is set to only output 1080i only.

Problem: Channel changes causing the receiver to lose HDMI lock/sync and forcing an HDMI reset.

The only thing that seems to change is the dialog norm. level. Could that force this type of signal loss?

I hope it something simple I am overlooking.

Thanks.
post #2038 of 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by dum_71 View Post

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

New STB. Comcast - Cisco RNG150N via HDMI to NR709 feeding MItsubishi HC3800 PJ. STB is set to only output 1080i only.

Problem: Channel changes causing the receiver to lose HDMI lock/sync and forcing an HDMI reset.

The only thing that seems to change is the dialog norm. level. Could that force this type of signal loss?

I hope it something simple I am overlooking.

Thanks.

Take a look if these "channel changes" are from channels with different resolutions in the broadcast signal.

Likelihood is the upscaling kicking in within he STB is dropping the signal. Verify by sticking HDMI straight to the PJ if possible.

To rule out the AVR, use the Video Skip (VCR/Return) to disable - this should be enough to understand the problem some more.
post #2039 of 2352
Gents, I'm in the market for a new 7.1 receiver with Zone 2. I started looking into a TX-NR616 since it was an upgrade plus it goes for $380 (less than my budget of $400) but now I'm really considering buying a factory refurbished TX-NR709 from Accessories4less.com at $450.

Do you recommend the 709, at $450 factory refurbished or $530 new, which has the Audyssey MultEQ XT over the 717, at $480 refurbished or $550 new, which has more power, Zone 3 but only the Audyssey 2EQ.
Edited by Miami Guy - 1/12/13 at 3:37pm
post #2040 of 2352
I found a brand new TX-NR709 at best buy for $399, had to drive to all the local stores though (they kept showing some inventory and could not find any). The one in boynton beach, FL had one more left.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread