or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series) - Page 100

post #2971 of 3948
It could be because you only raised it about 1.5" with a 2x6
post #2972 of 3948
I got my 73740 today.

First impressions: it sure is big and bright. If the guys at the factory were aiming for something I think it was "brilliant" (as a cinematic term rather than an ethos).

Setup was trivial, I switched to more natural settings and decided to christen my big screen with some Battlestar Galactica. An episode alternating between grand space battles and screen-filling head-shots seemed like a good test. I started out very excited but things went down hill quickly.

I know the footage well and in places it looked poor. Decidedly poor. On impulse I setup the footage through my computer going identically to the 73740 and the crappiest display I own (a dated TN-panel LCD that I use only for browsing and text editing). Watching them side by side, in places the 73740 looks great. In others, it inexplicably falls apart. The image blurs painfully, loosing tons of detail.

Am I crazy or does "sharpness" do nothing good? The factory setting of 31 was definitely causing artifacting and I ended up zeroing it out but that didn't fix my problem.

I did a factory reset, the problem remains. I've tried turning all the features I can access off, for that matter I've tried turning them on. No luck. What am I doing wrong? Why can't my 73740 resolve anywhere near the level of detail that my $100-special of an LCD is handling? Consistently anyways....




I'll break out a proper camera and take some side-by-side photos after dinner to illustrate the problem.
post #2973 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwintSommer View Post

I got my 73740 today.
First impressions: it sure is big and bright. If the guys at the factory were aiming for something I think it was "brilliant" (as a cinematic term rather than an ethos).
Setup was trivial, I switched to more natural settings and decided to christen my big screen with some Battlestar Galactica. An episode alternating between grand space battles and screen-filling head-shots seemed like a good test. I started out very excited but things went down hill quickly.
I know the footage well and in places it looked poor. Decidedly poor. On impulse I setup the footage through my computer going identically to the 73740 and the crappiest display I own (a dated TN-panel LCD that I use only for browsing and text editing). Watching them side by side, in places the 73740 looks great. In others, it inexplicably falls apart. The image blurs painfully, loosing tons of detail.
Am I crazy or does "sharpness" do nothing good? The factory setting of 31 was definitely causing artifacting and I ended up zeroing it out but that didn't fix my problem.
I did a factory reset, the problem remains. I've tried turning all the features I can access off, for that matter I've tried turning them on. No luck. What am I doing wrong? Why can't my 73740 resolve anywhere near the level of detail that my $100-special of an LCD is handling? Consistently anyways....
I'll break out a proper camera and take some side-by-side photos after dinner to illustrate the problem.

what media format are you using (bd/dvd)? im also curious what you are playing it with (ps3, dedicated bd/dvd player?

please do post pics, im thinking of buying a mitsu 73.
post #2974 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwintSommer View Post

Am I crazy or does "sharpness" do nothing good? The factory setting of 31 was definitely causing artifacting and I ended up zeroing it out but that didn't fix my problem.

Upgrade the firmware. I'm not 100% certain on the 740/840 series but on the 73640 there was a firmware update that fixed the artifacting with the sharpness.
post #2975 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post

What's your viewing distance? I am at slightly under 10 feet to my eyeballs and I actually think I might move a little closer. I could post my settings, seems to look pretty good, but it's set for a dark room and I have bias lighting so not sure if it would really match up to your conditions. I used the WOW disk..but I really couldn't tell anything from the test patterns with contrast or sharpness. Nothing seemed to get the test pattern to show correctly on either when adjusting the settings. Just set up a pro calibration for July 23 though so doesn't matter. Bummer, now I have to watch my TV a lot in the next month to make sure I get the lamp broken in. Ha.
By the way, I'm using the Antec HDTV Bias lighting kit. It's an LED strip that sticks to the back of the TV, 51.1" long, and plugs into the USB port on the TV. I don't need the online stuff for the TV, I'd only use the USB port on the TV for uprading firmware as I use the receiver/Xbox/Blu-ray for streaming and such. I'll update this post with pictures of it later. Works well, it says it's for up to a 60" TV but it does provide a glow all the way around the screen. Might need to be brighter though I'm not sure. At least keeps the screen from being blinding in the dark. If it needs to be brighter I thought about cutting a big rectangle from the TV cardboard box so the light doesn't have to go as far(to the wall) before bouncing back. Another option might be slapping on another light strip and using a USB hub since there's only one USB input(not sure if a hub will even work but I figure it probably would). The light is supposed to turn OFF when the TV goes off, but for some reason it doesn't..which seems strange. But there's a switch to turn it on and off. I can reach right behind the edge of the screen to easily reach it, don't have to maneuver behind the TV so it's no problem.
The BEFORE pic. After I'd sold my 55" Mitsubishi CRT RPTV. Looks rather sad. I had to watch that 20" thing for over a week.
225
Daytime, you can see reflections from the back and side windows. Not near as bad as it would be with the clear contrast screen. I plan to get some blackout curtains though. Will also help insulate the sound a bit..supposedly. I walked outside with music playing through the receiver and it came through LOUD AND CLEAR. I wonder if the neighbors can actually hear it from inside their house!
225
Night with bias lighting. That's a Joe Bonamassa concert on Blu-ray. These pics are taken with a Galaxy Nexus so PQ doesn't come through. Also the bias lighting looks brighter than it does on this picture.
225
Settings. I didn't fiddle with the 'advanced' menu. I'll not bother adjusting anything else since I'm getting it calibrated a little over three weeks.
225

Heyyyyy, that Onkyo system looks familiar. I got the same setup, except my 73740 hasn't came in the mail yet, mad.gif im hoping to schedule a delivery tomorrow for monday. I love this Onkyo system, it hits hard and sounds great for an unbeatable price; music on this thing is awesome, very minimal distortion. Anyways, your 82740 looks great, ill post pictures when i get my 73740, i have all blackout curtains so my room will get pitch black even in full daylight. I might even post pics of my sound system, just waiting patently for the tv in the mail. Im getting a stand tomorrow as well, so no stand will be pictured. Ill try to get some pics up right now. smile.gif
Edited by LILBZ3 - 6/30/12 at 3:40pm
post #2976 of 3948
Here are a few pictures of what I got going now, it took a bit of work, hopefully you guys appreciate it.
You might notice that my electronics are located elsewhere for a cleaner look once the WD-73740 arrives hopefully on monday, if not, tuesday.
I know speaker placement Isn't optimal, but for my taste it looks great and still sounds amazing as well.
The 73" 740 will be about 65" wide, which is what the front right and left speakers are placed at.
More pictures after I get the TV and the stand?
Feel free to ask questions.

224
224
224
224
224
224

I reduced the size of the thumbnails so I'm not raping the whole thread.
(Pictures taken with an iPhone, sorry)
post #2977 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBZ3 View Post

Heyyyyy, that Onkyo system looks familiar. I got the same setup, except my 73740 hasn't came in the mail yet, mad.gif im hoping to schedule a delivery tomorrow for monday. I love this Onkyo system, it hits hard and sounds great for an unbeatable price; music on this thing is awesome, very minimal distortion. Anyways, your 82740 looks great, ill post pictures when i get my 73740, i have all blackout curtains so my room will get pitch black even in full daylight. I might even post pics of my sound system, just waiting patently for the tv in the mail. Im getting a stand tomorrow as well, so no stand will be pictured. Ill try to get some pics up right now. smile.gif

Yeah I'm impressed by the Onkyo. Definitely sounds better than anything I've ever owned. I got some cheap blackout curtains at Walmart yesterday. Less than $10 per 42x84 panel.
post #2978 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBZ3 View Post

Here are a few pictures of what I got going now, it took a bit of work, hopefully you guys appreciate it.
You might notice that my electronics are located elsewhere for a cleaner look once the WD-73740 arrives hopefully on monday, if not, tuesday.
I know speaker placement Isn't optimal, but for my taste it looks great and still sounds amazing as well.
The 73" 740 will be about 65" wide, which is what the front right and left speakers are placed at.
More pictures after I get the TV and the stand?
Feel free to ask questions.
224
224
224
224
224
224
I reduced the size of the thumbnails so I'm not raping the whole thread.
(Pictures taken with an iPhone, sorry)

Those surround speakers are really low. On advice from this forum I placed mine pretty high..I feel like I can't hear them that well though..So I think I'll experiment with lowering them. Can't with the rear ones though, they are probably almost four feet above my head but I have to place them above windows that take up the entire wall. The sides are about three feet above ear level.
post #2979 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

Upgrade the firmware. I'm not 100% certain on the 740/840 series but on the 73640 there was a firmware update that fixed the artifacting with the sharpness.

I went from 13.05 to 13.06 and Mitsubishi just saved a customer along the way. Forget about making "sharpness" a useful feature, my set is now correctly rendering scenes.

I'm still at a loss as to what was going wrong but to my delight I am now greeted by every pore on Edward James Olmos's face. The firmware update has made an absolute world of difference.

I'm firing up a personal favorite, Apocalypse Now, to see how I feel about the color balance but I'm getting pretty excited about this display.
post #2980 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post

Those surround speakers are really low. On advice from this forum I placed mine pretty high..I feel like I can't hear them that well though..So I think I'll experiment with lowering them. Can't with the rear ones though, they are probably almost four feet above my head but I have to place them above windows that take up the entire wall. The sides are about three feet above ear level.

Really?... I put every speaker at ear level, which happens to be the exact height of the front towers. Is that not a good thing to do? I thought it made sense. confused.gif
I listen to a ton of music, more than movies. Plus I'm not too picky about very small sound differences. I was kinda just going for a clean look after I painted the room.
Maybe one day I'll get a nicer system, then I'll position them in their optimal place.
Sounds great as it is though, I definitely had to lower the surround speakers in the settings.
Edited by LILBZ3 - 6/30/12 at 3:37pm
post #2981 of 3948
I have my speakers all the same except for the center and new height speakers. For the surround speakers, I'm going for a good HOME theater sound and not trying to replicate the cineplex.
post #2982 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBZ3 View Post

Really?... I put every speaker at ear level, which happens to be the exact height of the front towers. Is that not a good thing to do? I thought it made sense. confused.gif
I listen to a ton of music, more than movies. Plus I'm not too picky about very small sound differences. I was kinda just going for a clean look after I painted the room.
Maybe one day I'll get a nicer system, then I'll position them in their optimal place.
Sounds great as it is though, I definitely had to lower the surround speakers in the settings.

Typically it is suggested at 18"-24" above ear level.
post #2983 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jromankvcc View Post

Now I have 2 Panasonic Generation 2 3D glasses, 4 Sony playstation universal 3D glasses, and 6 pairs of X102s. so 6 RF (or is it IR?) and 6 DLP-Link.

I've heard of people having issues getting the x102s to sync properly with the 82740.

Anybody got any input on it? Only reason why I purchased those is that they were $75 for 6 pairs of glasses, so at $12.50 a pair, it was hard to pass. Of course, I was never looking at these glasses, though I did check out the x103s. My wife tried all the glasses and she didn't like any. The only ones she likes are the old polarized passive 3d glasses we had for the 55LM8600 lol. Great.

I read up in here on how to use normal CR2032 batteries for the x102s. I hate thinking that I may have to do that, and I hate that they put proprietary sockets in there. Do the x103s use the same type of proprietary socket? And what's up with the green tint on the glasses? is that the same on all DLP-Link 3D glasses?

The X102 batteries are proprietary because they were designed for theaters to prevent vandalism and theft. The X103s change out normally. I believe the tint is to correct for any color imbalance due to the DLP-Link flash.
post #2984 of 3948
Jomankvccc, sorry to hear about all your issues. At least it finally worked out and you get to keep the tv.

On a similar note, I bought from Paul's who used AIT and a subcontracter for them. So, I just want to provide both sides as I never had any issues with any of them. As others have said it is often not Pauls or even AIT but rather the 3rd party shipper that has issues. In my cae it worked out, others maybe not so lucky. But I just want to let people know that I had a great experience and if you placed an order not to over worry.

With that said, ALWAYS INSPECT THE TV FUNCTIONALITY BEFORE YOU SIGN!
post #2985 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwintSommer View Post

I went from 13.05 to 13.06 and Mitsubishi just saved a customer along the way. Forget about making "sharpness" a useful feature, my set is now correctly rendering scenes.
I'm still at a loss as to what was going wrong but to my delight I am now greeted by every pore on Edward James Olmos's face. The firmware update has made an absolute world of difference.
I'm firing up a personal favorite, Apocalypse Now, to see how I feel about the color balance but I'm getting pretty excited about this display.

Good to hear. biggrin.gif
post #2986 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwingace View Post

Jomankvccc, sorry to hear about all your issues. At least it finally worked out and you get to keep the tv.
On a similar note, I bought from Paul's who used AIT and a subcontracter for them. So, I just want to provide both sides as I never had any issues with any of them. As others have said it is often not Pauls or even AIT but rather the 3rd party shipper that has issues. In my cae it worked out, others maybe not so lucky. But I just want to let people know that I had a great experience and if you placed an order not to over worry.
With that said, ALWAYS INSPECT THE TV FUNCTIONALITY BEFORE YOU SIGN!

Yup, I think I had previously stated that I was removing blame from Paul'sTV and placing it where it was due, on the subcontracted delivery. Paul'sTV was very corteous and quick all around, and I didn't have any problem with them, beside personal frustration. I colabored with them and with AIT on investigating why the delivery company was delivering TVs in such a manner that damages were almost certain.

Again, most sellers, if not all, send these Mitsubishi TVs through AIT. However, chances are a different company will be subcontracted to deliver the TV.

Looks like, after looking at the pictures, AIT decided to use a different delivery company, and that new company did an amazing job.

So, do I blame Paul'sTV? nope, they were just caught in the middle due to the poor choice of AIT's partner for deliveries. But since that's worked, I'd not mind ordering from them. In fact, I ordered a wireless adapter for the TV from them. I'm also setting up my friend's entire house, so she'll be needing several TVs, sound systems, cables, etc, so I may contact them again soon.

I'm sure if Paul'sTV has been following my updates in here and SlickDeals they understood my frustration and knew that I didn't mean to blame them but rather the delivery company. Sure, you see "Paul'sTV...AIT...delivery nightmare...damaged twice..." and one may try to quickly say "wow, I'm not buying from Paul'sTV, their delivery personnel sucks" or even worse, "Dude, don't buy from Paul'sTV, they sell broken TVs!" I can assure you that was NOT my intent, at all, even if it was interpreted by some like that.

To reiterate, the problem was AIT's delivery partner in my location, not the seller. I've explained this to Paul'sTV over the phone in several occasions, so I'm just repeating it here for everyone who may have been on the verge of purchasing it, to go ahead and do so. My experience was not the norm, just very poor luck, or very crappy delivery company (which is not Paul'sTV).

There, that should suffice.
post #2987 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

The X102 batteries are proprietary because they were designed for theaters to prevent vandalism and theft. The X103s change out normally. I believe the tint is to correct for any color imbalance due to the DLP-Link flash.

I tried out the glasses. I bought 6 pairs, as previously commented. However, I can't get them to sync (or I can't even get them to turn on, I have no clue).

I did not expect them to be so...green! Maybe it's because I can't get them to turn on or what not. Also, when I turn the DLP-Link ON on the TV, the entire screen gets a green tint on. Figured "oh well, the glasses will somehow make the screen less green".

So I swipe my finger accross the ON sensor, and nothing happens. I've tried pushing it hard, swiping more, etc. No matter what, it won't do anything.

I tried the panasonics and, while the 3D works, the lenses are not big enough. With such a big TV, you need glasses that will cover your entire eyes. In this case, looking at the TV, I have to put my chin down, and even then part of the TV is under the glasses. I had to push the glasses downward toward the tip of my nose, but then there are too many distractions to pull you away from the 3D environment. I hope they'll be OK for the 55" plasma TV downstairs, but I'm worried they might not.

The Sony glasses were better. They seem to have larger lenses, so I didn't have to put my chin down so much (the seats are reclined). The glasses, however, were heavy and bulky, and quite uncomfortable, but worked well for 3D. In all truthfulness, I only watched about 3 minutes of Kung Fu Panda II 3D from HBO On Demand, and 2D+ on Borderlands (which didn't add much at all).

So the question is, I guess, how do I turn on the glasses? Could it be that all the batteries that came preinstalled are bad? I tried pulling the battery out, but it wasn't an easy chore! Funny part is that my wife liked the way the glasses are closer to the face and with bigger lenses, so she doesn't get distracted when trying to watch 3d, but she hated the green tint on the lenses.

I'd hate having to return 10 pairs of glasses lol. If anybody got any suggestions, ideas, advices, or knows how to turn/verify they're turned on, that'd be greatly appreciated.

>>Edit: By the way, the batteries came pre-installed on the X102s I got. All pictures I see online seem to represent that the battery is to be installed by the user, so I wonder if maybe all those batteries are dead? Who knows how long they've been at the Tigerdirect warehouse.
Edited by jromankvcc - 7/2/12 at 7:50am
post #2988 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwintSommer View Post

I went from 13.05 to 13.06 and Mitsubishi just saved a customer along the way. Forget about making "sharpness" a useful feature, my set is now correctly rendering scenes.

I have two questions about this:

1) How do you check your firmware version?
2) How do you update your firmware?

I figured the TV would auto-update when going into the Vudu, but I didn't see anything reporting the need to update, or stating that it was updating, so I'm not sure. Everything looks fine, but I've found a couple odd things.

1) From time to time I feel like my eyes were seeing colored shots of light (like a rainbow of colors). It happens here and there, but it's not like there's something on the screen causing it, that I know of.
2) Watching the olympic games, I noticed that every time there was a switch in camera, the TV would take about a second or half a second to regain focus. Looked like if the TV was re-sharpening the image. Maybe this was the camera and not the TV.
3) I tend to lay down on the floor to play with my daughter, while we draw and stuff like that, and the TV gets very darkened from there. If I get closer it goes completely black, but nobody should be trying to watch this TV from 10 inches underneat the TV and about 2 inches away from it.
4) I used the WoW disc and I could not for the love of my set anything properly. I gave up and just kept whatever settings were previously posted for the 92840. I did notice those settings give quite a blue tint for daytime/3d setting. If anybody can point me in the right direction for a 73740 or an 82740, that'd be awesome.

I put the UEFA 2012 final (I'm from Spain) on the TV through cable antenna, and it looked HORRIBLE. I could not discern any numbers on the jerseys, etc. I was very disappointed. HOWEVER, it wasn't a digital signal. I pulled up the game on my wife's laptop, and it was on semi HD (not really HD, but much better than the analog signal). Plugged the laptop to the AUX HDMI in the front of the Onkyo, and wow, such a difference! The laptop does 1920x1200, so the TV was cutting off the bottom, which was perfectly fine, since that was the status bar on the video. The video during the first half was not as smooth as we were hoping, but for the second half it became much more smoother. I could even select commentaries in Spanish or English lol.

We've watched 21 Jump Street, John Carter, G.I. Joe, and Journey 2 (in 2D). We're wanting to get Journey 2 on 3D (we rented the 2D one from RedBox). Anybody seen the movie? is the 3D good in it?
post #2989 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jromankvcc View Post

I have two questions about this:
1) How do you check your firmware version?
Think there may be another way, but hit menu 2 4 7 0 quickly. It'll then show somewhere. If nothing pops up try it again. After that post about it I updated mine..couldn't tell any difference in the picture though.
Quote:
2) How do you update your firmware?

If the TV is connected to the net I think it should do it automatically. If not through USB: http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/file/software_update/L75A94.Software%20Update%20Instructions.pdf
Quote:
1) From time to time I feel like my eyes were seeing colored shots of light (like a rainbow of colors). It happens here and there, but it's not like there's something on the screen causing it, that I know of.

I think that's called rainbow effect due to the TV using a color wheel. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in I'm sure. Funny you mention it, I haven't noticed it at all. A friend came over the other day, sat down, looked at the TV, and mentioned it. So they noticed right away. I tried to see it as they were and couldn't. Some people see it some don't I guess.
Quote:
2) Watching the olympic games, I noticed that every time there was a switch in camera, the TV would take about a second or half a second to regain focus. Looked like if the TV was re-sharpening the image. Maybe this was the camera and not the TV.

I'm guessing it was the camera.
Quote:
4) I used the WoW disc and I could not for the love of my set anything properly. I gave up and just kept whatever settings were previously posted for the 92840. I did notice those settings give quite a blue tint for daytime/3d setting. If anybody can point me in the right direction for a 73740 or an 82740, that'd be awesome.
I put the UEFA 2012 final (I'm from Spain) on the TV through cable antenna, and it looked HORRIBLE. I could not discern any numbers on the jerseys, etc. I was very disappointed. HOWEVER, it wasn't a digital signal. I pulled up the game on my wife's laptop, and it was on semi HD (not really HD, but much better than the analog signal). Plugged the laptop to the AUX HDMI in the front of the Onkyo, and wow, such a difference! The laptop does 1920x1200, so the TV was cutting off the bottom, which was perfectly fine, since that was the status bar on the video. The video during the first half was not as smooth as we were hoping, but for the second half it became much more smoother. I could even select commentaries in Spanish or English lol.
We've watched 21 Jump Street, John Carter, G.I. Joe, and Journey 2 (in 2D). We're wanting to get Journey 2 on 3D (we rented the 2D one from RedBox). Anybody seen the movie? is the 3D good in it?

I had trouble with WoW too. I was able to do the brightness/color/tint fine..But contrast and sharpness nothing would happen with the test pattern when adjusting for sharpness, and with contrast it would get brighter or darker, but the stars and what not that are supposed to fade away/be more visible adjusted equally with the background so were always at the same visibility..if that makes sense. In three weeks I'm having a professional calibration done though, so I'm not going to worry about it. I have my receiver set to THROUGH so the TV is used for video processing. But last night I tested trying to calibrate using the receiver as the video processor, and using Wow to adjust contrast DID work. I didn't think the PQ looked as good overall though through the receiver..

I watched the UEFA final and some of the other games as well. But I have DirecTV in HD and looked great. If you are going through non-digital cable it will look bad. One weird thing watching it on ESPN is there was this weird flashing noticeable with a wide view of the pitch. Kind of like watching a basketball game and seeing reflections of the video board on the court..except this was grass and that's not what was happening. The actual final this didn't happen and hasn't happened on any other channels so I think it was just ESPN's broadcast issues and didn't notice it during the final.

I haven't tried 3D yet or even bought glasses. Only seen one movie at a theater in 3D and wasn't that impressed. Never seen on a TV other than the demos at Best Buy which I think look pretty terrible. I'm sure I'll try it though at some point though. I'm sure it looks better in dark lighting and on a bigger screen than those tiny 60 or so inchers at BB, ha.

Video settings:

Contrast 42 (like I said had trouble with WoW so just set it at about 2/3 of full)
Brightness 34
Color 35
Tint 37
Sharpness 10 (again trouble figuring it out with WoW but sounds like most keep it really low..didn't see any halos or anything having it as high as 10)

Didn't adjust any advanced stuff. Think the picture looks pretty good and this was done in dark conditions with bias lighting.
Edited by Shady12 - 7/2/12 at 8:03am
post #2990 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post

I had trouble with WoW too. I was able to do the brightness/color/tint fine..But contrast and sharpness nothing would happen with the test pattern when adjusting for sharpness, and with contrast it would get brighter or darker, but the stars and what not that are supposed to fade away/be more visible adjusted equally with the background so were always at the same visibility..if that makes sense.

Yup, that's what was happening. No matter what I did, it'd not completely disappear with the background. I do like the clarity of the picture. My wife says the 55LM8600 looked even more clean/clear, but that the image is pretty good. I think the blacks look excellent. I can see the different tones of black that appear in the suits and dresses that the news crew wears
post #2991 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jromankvcc View Post

Yup, that's what was happening. No matter what I did, it'd not completely disappear with the background. I do like the clarity of the picture. My wife says the 55LM8600 looked even more clean/clear, but that the image is pretty good. I think the blacks look excellent. I can see the different tones of black that appear in the suits and dresses that the news crew wears

I think the blacks are good too. Only thing I noticed on my TV, when watching something letterboxed on the top and bottom, the black strip on the top is black as it gets, but the strip at the bottom isn't as dark. Possibly due to the bias light perhaps, with the bezel below for reference maybe the top just looks darker because there's maybe half an inch of bezel and then the bias light right above.
post #2992 of 3948
New item for me, anyways. Has anyone tried using the "DVI/PC audio in plug" on your 82740? Mine appears to be dead. I can connect the audio signal direct to my AVR and sounds play from the computer; but, NOT thru the TV speakers.

Any ideas??????

I have written MDEA and am waiting for an answer?
post #2993 of 3948
These TV's don't support ARC, correct? If not that's...lame.
post #2994 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post

These TV's don't support ARC, correct? If not that's...lame.

Correct
post #2995 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwintSommer View Post

I got my 73740 today.
First impressions: it sure is big and bright. If the guys at the factory were aiming for something I think it was "brilliant" (as a cinematic term rather than an ethos).
Setup was trivial, I switched to more natural settings and decided to christen my big screen with some Battlestar Galactica. An episode alternating between grand space battles and screen-filling head-shots seemed like a good test. I started out very excited but things went down hill quickly.
I know the footage well and in places it looked poor. Decidedly poor. On impulse I setup the footage through my computer going identically to the 73740 and the crappiest display I own (a dated TN-panel LCD that I use only for browsing and text editing). Watching them side by side, in places the 73740 looks great. In others, it inexplicably falls apart. The image blurs painfully, loosing tons of detail.
Am I crazy or does "sharpness" do nothing good? The factory setting of 31 was definitely causing artifacting and I ended up zeroing it out but that didn't fix my problem.
I did a factory reset, the problem remains. I've tried turning all the features I can access off, for that matter I've tried turning them on. No luck. What am I doing wrong? Why can't my 73740 resolve anywhere near the level of detail that my $100-special of an LCD is handling? Consistently anyways....
I'll break out a proper camera and take some side-by-side photos after dinner to illustrate the problem.

Sharpness settings should almost always be set to 0. I have the 73640 from Mits, and this is the case. Keep that sharpness off!

Not sure about the artifacting... Definitely get the latest firmware which should be 13.06, as that solves some serious picture quality issues that can be similar to artifacting. My only other advice is use something other then Battlestar Galactica for testing... as that show was NOT the pinnacle of AV technology (even though I'm a fan). Try a current BD disc that has a highly rated video transfer, that way you can be more sure of what you're seeing.

ADDED:

Forgot to mention, I feel this series of sets has issues with motion. It most definitely does not handle it well. Doing things such as scrolling thru PS3 menus (something I can repeat often) shows text/images softening while it moves, then snapping back to clarity when it finishes motion. I have a feeling it has to do with DLP wobbulation and trying to keep up with motion, though I'm no expert. My last tv was a 61" LCoS, and I never noticed such things before.
post #2996 of 3948
Hi Guys,

Some of you may remember my posts from earlier in the year. I got the 92" just before Christmas and have loved this TV. Got my shelf situation worked out and have upgraded many of the things all around it. It has been about 6 months now, and I have had no issues with this TV whatsoever, until now. This last weekend, i noticed the screen seemed a little dimmer than usual, didn't matter if I was on a PC, cable tv, XBOX, or whatever; even with the lights all off the TV just seemed to be putting out less light or a harder to see picture. Each day has seemed to get a little worse. last night I was squinting to watch TV and this was after cranking it up to "brilliant" on the settings and trying to manually brighten everything.

Prior to this 92", I had a Mitsubishi 72" from 2007; so i know the bulbs go out after long continued use and will need replacing. I even noticed when i had to replace my 72" it was noticeably dimmer for a few months before it completely went out. But when i say "noticeably" I mean maybe 10% to 20%; not 30% to 50% and it was not dropping 10% per day like seems to be happening now. Plus it took 3 years before i had to replace that bulb. 6 months on this one seems a bit soon. frown.gif I will have to check my lamp hours when i get home (if i can still see the screen enough to make them out), it probably averages being on 40 - 50 hours a week.

Could it already be the bulb or might it be something else which is wrong with it? I purchased the TV at HGgregg but did not buy the extended warranty so right now i probably am only covered by the Mitsubishi warranty (will have to check paperwork at home). Should i call HGgregg or not even bother and just call Mitsubishi customer service? If it is the bulb, is that even covered under warranty? I know under normal wear and tear it would not be, but for going out 6 months from purchase i would not think that was "normal wear and tear"; i don't know... I am open to opinions and suggestions... If it definitely sounds like the bulb I might be better off just buying a bulb than waiting for a warranty replacement considering how long I may be without TV or how much strain this could cause my eyes as it fades more and more...
post #2997 of 3948
I would call Mitsubishi just so that they will start a case on it. Hopefully, it's just a bad bulb that went out sooner than it should have. I would buy a bulb now so that you're not out of a TV for a long time and then use the warranty bulb as an extra. If the bulb doesn't work then you will have already started a case with Mitsubishi and they will most likely send out a technician next.
post #2998 of 3948
hi guys:

I will receive my 82740 tomorrow. After much reading I am still confused about which 3d glasses are recommended,. What are you guys using? I am looking for something reasonably priced. Thanks.
post #2999 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntot View Post

hi guys:
I will receive my 82740 tomorrow. After much reading I am still confused about which 3d glasses are recommended,. What are you guys using? I am looking for something reasonably priced. Thanks.

I would recommend the MonsterVision 3D Glasses for the following reasons:
1. slightly larger lenses for larger viewing area
2. Universal..will work with many other 3D and 3D ready TVs (see a more detailed explanation on their website)
3. Can store settings for different TVs. For instance, if a friend has a different make and model 3D or 3D ready TV you can set the glasses for both theirs and yours
4. Radio Frequency (RF) rather than Infrared (IR) so there is no need for line of sight and no chance of losing sync
5. very slightly brighter picture.
6. Rechargeable.
7. firmware upgradable through usb connection to computer.
8. joystick controller to fine tune the 3D effect.

The glasses are actually from Bit Cauldron and sold as Optoma RF3D, VIP3D and Monster.
The best deal is direct from Monster at http://www.monsterproducts.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5938&id=9132
If you're buying more than one pair you get free shipping.

The best version of the firmware upgrade utility BC5100 is from the VIP website at http://www.3d-vip.com/
On the VIP website select "products" then "3D Glasses" There you will find the links to download the firmware installer and a product manual and installation guide thast is a bit different from the manuals offered by Monster...Taken together (Monster's and VIP's manuals) you will end up getting the best possible info,
There is a MonsterVision 3D thread on AVS where you can get lots more info and feedback from other users at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread
Not an offer to sell. Your mileage may vary. Offer good while supplies last. No rainchecks. No substitutions. Your choice of appetizers. No soup for you!
Edited by wardhealer - 7/5/12 at 1:41am
post #3000 of 3948
These are the ones I use and I'm happy with them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00462RMS6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)