or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series) - Page 112

post #3331 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by redonly View Post

I've been through three of the Mits TVs. The first was a 73840 that had a severe problem with a gap between the screen and the bezel that caused geometry issues. Also couldn't stand the SSE on the matte screen so I returned it and was able to upgrade to the 82840. The first one of those had an issue with the two screens being separated. That caused a blurring in the center of the screen which was especially noticeable when viewing text. Called Mits, they sent a tech out that said the screens had to be replaced so I had the whole thing replaced again since I didn't want a repaired TV. On the replacement 82840 I finally got the "WOW" factor and knew exactly what all the hype was about the clear contrast screen. Picture is awesome and much better than the matte screen IMHO.
You might try putting a menu guide or movie credits up then stand close to the screen and look down to see if the ghosting or double image appears. You want it right so do what you must to get it that way!!

Envious.. The only complaint I have at all with my 82740 is the matte screen. It's a big complaint though. SSE is bad enough that I can't see how it would be acceptable to actually incorporate into a product. I hate glare so never thought I'd want an 840 but I wish I'd gone that route now.
post #3332 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoop2much View Post

ah,i see. im excited for oled,but next year i think ill go with the laservue. give oled a few years to work out the kinks wink.gif

Me too. That's one reason I got the WD-92840: to let OLED mature and hopefully get much, much cheaper. Another is the screen size/price ratio DLP still offers. Flat screen HDTV's prices haven't come down enough at the larger screen sizes for my budget. Also, as for front projectors, I will only go 4K or better and then only after a few years and maybe (hopefully?) a format standard for content is ironed out.
post #3333 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post

Envious.. The only complaint I have at all with my 82740 is the matte screen. It's a big complaint though. SSE is bad enough that I can't see how it would be acceptable to actually incorporate into a product. I hate glare so never thought I'd want an 840 but I wish I'd gone that route now.

In my opinion, my WD-92840's SSE is pretty typical DLP-fair. The matte screened 73" Mits I had briefly before it was about the same. Both have more apparent SSE than the Samsung RP DLP I had before them. Keep in mine though that I'm WAY more use to seeing it but also that I haven't had any comments from friends or family about it. It's a person to person perception thing for sure though.

PS As a side note to my earlier post about what should be known (educating those new to RP) about DLP HDTV's: I had a friend from work recently say that she called the Cable Company out to her house because the image was dark. She didn't realize or I'm sure even told that her RPTV had a lamp (to be fair, I believe she purchased it used), much less that it was getting dim and needed replacing. Luckily the cable guy/gal knew about it and told her what she needed.
post #3334 of 3948
Ok, I think I've effectively read over all the 112 pages of this thread over the past few days...and am looking to purchase a 73" Mits DLP here in a couple days.

From what I believe I have gathered:

  • 842 is the 2012 version of the 840? same with 742/740?
  • The 84x models have a glossy screen which is better (yes, its relative) to deal with any glare issues)

Im confused because at decide.com it says this:

https://www.decide.com/p/tvs-mitsubishi-wd73840-mitsubishi-wd-73--lcd-28342791/model-prediction

WD73840 (NOV 2010)
> WD73742 (APR 2012) 2010?

I have around $1600.00 to play with. I want a decent deal, but i dont want to skimp out on a couple hundred bucks to get an older model or miss a key feature that I shouldnt be overlooking. This is my first venture to DLP ( i still need to go see one in person first) as im switching from a puny 46" lcd.

WD-73742?
WD-73840??
WD-73842???


Thanks for your help and all the sweet 100+ pgs of reading materials (my wife is getting sick of me talking about getting this tv!)
post #3335 of 3948
I would get whichever one you can get for a better deal. I don't think that there were any drastic changes between the X40 and X42 models. Someone please chime in if you disagree.
post #3336 of 3948
Finally had a chance to set a level up and check the extent of the geometry warp. It is distorted by about 2 inches at the bottom. And, as you can probably tell from the picture, this is with the geometry adjusted (pulled out some in the middle, and pushed in some in the bottom corner) to try to minimize. With the geometry correction disabled, it is much worse.

I was watching golf the other day and they had some horizontal lines that were used to separate some text from the picture and as they swiped them off the screen, I could see them distort along the way. I know I asked if I was being picky, but dang, I just can't see that as being "normal for these sets" like the technician claimed.
post #3337 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

Finally had a chance to set a level up and check the extent of the geometry warp. It is distorted by about 2 inches at the bottom. And, as you can probably tell from the picture, this is with the geometry adjusted (pulled out some in the middle, and pushed in some in the bottom corner) to try to minimize. With the geometry correction disabled, it is much worse.
I was watching golf the other day and they had some horizontal lines that were used to separate some text from the picture and as they swiped them off the screen, I could see them distort along the way. I know I asked if I was being picky, but dang, I just can't see that as being "normal for these sets" like the technician claimed.














I would have to agree with you thats is not normal. I'm gonna have to get my level out now...
post #3338 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtd2 View Post

I would have to agree with you thats is not normal. I'm gonna have to get my level out now...

Its normal, My 73738 has the same barreling effect , use the geometry correction to get as straight as possible and forget about it, even after taking the whole front screen of to see what was going on, there's not much you can do to straighten it out, one thing that helps the most is placing the set on a level surface to minimize the set from twisting due to uneven surfaces. After a couple of rounds of geometry correction I'm satisfied with my results, after a couple of tries you tend to get pretty good at it.

hope this helps!
post #3339 of 3948
Yes, I did the same thing and corrected it as much as possible. Like they say, "set it and forget it". smile.gif
post #3340 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Its normal, My 73738 has the same barreling effect , use the geometry correction to get as straight as possible and forget about it, even after taking the whole front screen of to see what was going on, there's not much you can do to straighten it out, one thing that helps the most is placing the set on a level surface to minimize the set from twisting due to uneven surfaces. After a couple of rounds of geometry correction I'm satisfied with my results, after a couple of tries you tend to get pretty good at it.
hope this helps!

I'm sorry, but I'm an engineer, and I would never call anything that far out of spec "normal", especially if this is at it's most corrected state. I don't expect to be able to make it perfect. I was able to do enough geometry correction to make the upper letterbox "black bar" straight enough that it looked acceptable (as opposed to the "smile" it had before), and I'm fine with that, even though it's not perfect. It's just these 4:3 lines that are very distracting while watching a 4:3 movie, and while watching anything with horizontal lines and menus on the screen. I haven't watched a football game yet, but I'm really wondering what is going to happen with the yard lines as the action moves down the field. If it's anything like the swiping horizontal lines on the golf show I was watching, it's going to look like the field is trying to roll up.
post #3341 of 3948
What 3D glasses can I use on 82840? Any options other than the 3DG-X103?
post #3342 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

I'm sorry, but I'm an engineer, and I would never call anything that far out of spec "normal", especially if this is at it's most corrected state. I don't expect to be able to make it perfect. I was able to do enough geometry correction to make the upper letterbox "black bar" straight enough that it looked acceptable (as opposed to the "smile" it had before), and I'm fine with that, even though it's not perfect. It's just these 4:3 lines that are very distracting while watching a 4:3 movie, and while watching anything with horizontal lines and menus on the screen. I haven't watched a football game yet, but I'm really wondering what is going to happen with the yard lines as the action moves down the field. If it's anything like the swiping horizontal lines on the golf show I was watching, it's going to look like the field is trying to roll up.

Squaring up 4:3 material on a RPTV is one of the most difficult geometry correction challenges. And 4:3 material isn't the only thing affected. The Xbox 360, Boxee Box, Apple TV, Roku, etc. all have menus and materials that show off the limits of the RPTV screen. Also, camera pans of any type/material (movies, video games, etc.) will have a slight 'inverted fish bowl' appearance all the time that will be noticed by more critical viewers: especially for scenes with many horizontal and/or vertical lines/angles, etc. Anyone who doesn't is truly blessed indeed.

This has been the nature of RPTV pretty much since the beginning (I only started in 2000 with them, others may chime in here with a history lesson or more information). The perceived distortion is 3 dimensional in that it's left/right and/or up/down on the screen but mainly that's due to the screen either being bowed out, in or flat in different areas.

Below is an image of what I have personally observed with every RPTV I've owned (Panasonic, Samsung, Mitsubishi) or seen in a store on display:



The green patches are areas where the screen is flat or slightly bowed outward (mainly these areas are flat though in relation to the screen bezel). The patches in red are areas were the screen bows inward with dark colors representing more inward bowing. Note how the direction of the bowing effects the direction the lines go.
Edited by Wesley Hester - 8/21/12 at 7:37am
post #3343 of 3948
Great post Wesley. That diagram really shows my TV, so I guess I may just have to get used to it (with geometry correction). The 73742 I returned with 490 hours already on the set when I received it didn't seem to have this issue, so it kind of surprised me when the replacement did. Due to a lightning strike, this TV is actually replacing my old Mitsubishi WS-65819 RPTV that I got in 2002, but its screen seemed to be more rigid than the 73742 (possibly due the smaller size?). About the only geometry issue I had there was the letterbox seem slightly angled at first, and Lion AV took care of that during a calibration in 2002. I still might call the Mitsubishi warranty guy that I talked to on Friday of last week, just to follow up.

Does anyone know of a way to physically adust the screen any? If it's bowing in, which mine is by about 3/8" in the middle, that indicates to me that too much weight might be being taken by the bottom of the screen (either in the mounts or bottomed out in the bezel), or the screen is not tight somewhere along the top and is slipping its mounts. Can you loosen the mounts, flatten the screen from the inside, and the re-tighten the mounts? I do have the service manual as the technician who visited didn't have the new 73742 one, so he downloaded it on my laptop, but I don't know if it would be remotely worth trying since there would be some probability of making it worse.
post #3344 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

In my opinion, my WD-92840's SSE is pretty typical DLP-fair. The matte screened 73" Mits I had briefly before it was about the same. Both have more apparent SSE than the Samsung RP DLP I had before them. Keep in mine though that I'm WAY more use to seeing it but also that I haven't had any comments from friends or family about it. It's a person to person perception thing for sure though.
PS As a side note to my earlier post about what should be known (educating those new to RP) about DLP HDTV's: I had a friend from work recently say that she called the Cable Company out to her house because the image was dark. She didn't realize or I'm sure even told that her RPTV had a lamp (to be fair, I believe she purchased it used), much less that it was getting dim and needed replacing. Luckily the cable guy/gal knew about it and told her what she needed.

I've seen many RPTVs(my previous TV was a CRT I used for eight years), including a few DLPs and it's never been as bad as on mine. On any other I really only notice SSE if I'm looking for it. This was all caused by the lenticular screen though. It's very obstrusive on my 82740. I just deal with it. I'm pretty sure it's all from the matte screen on mine. It looks exactly like someone smeared a thin layer of canola oil on the screen then set up a fan in front of the screen and dropped glitter in front of the fan before the oil dried. I suppose I could get one of the 82" clear screens and replace it, right? Do these suckers even have to have the outer screens? I took the glare screen off my CRT the day I got it and it's definitely the way to go, no glare and no crummy matte coating. It was designed to be easily removable though with no tools.
post #3345 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit82 View Post

What 3D glasses can I use on 82840? Any options other than the 3DG-X103?

I thought you were selling it a few months ago for a projector? Any IR or IR to RF and DLP Link glasses will work. Some of interest here are the Bit Cauldron line from Monster, Optoma and VIP. Also you have the XPAND 104 which Mitsubishi recommends.
post #3346 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

Great post Wesley. That diagram really shows my TV, so I guess I may just have to get used to it (with geometry correction). The 73742 I returned with 490 hours already on the set when I received it didn't seem to have this issue, so it kind of surprised me when the replacement did. Due to a lightning strike, this TV is actually replacing my old Mitsubishi WS-65819 RPTV that I got in 2002, but its screen seemed to be more rigid than the 73742 (possibly due the smaller size?). About the only geometry issue I had there was the letterbox seem slightly angled at first, and Lion AV took care of that during a calibration in 2002. I still might call the Mitsubishi warranty guy that I talked to on Friday of last week, just to follow up.
Does anyone know of a way to physically adust the screen any? If it's bowing in, which mine is by about 3/8" in the middle, that indicates to me that too much weight might be being taken by the bottom of the screen (either in the mounts or bottomed out in the bezel), or the screen is not tight somewhere along the top and is slipping its mounts. Can you loosen the mounts, flatten the screen from the inside, and the re-tighten the mounts? I do have the service manual as the technician who visited didn't have the new 73742 one, so he downloaded it on my laptop, but I don't know if it would be remotely worth trying since there would be some probability of making it worse.

The only physical adjustments that help are pushing or suctioning cup the screen out in the center, now if your stand is at an acceptable height before leveling out, first look to see where the stand is twisting with the set on top, if its to high in the back tilt the stand upward to compensate for when the weight of the screen weighs the front of the stand down(especially on carpet) the same for the horizontal plane as well, believe it or not this made a huge impact on the image as well as allowing the flimsy screen to sit in a more natural way instead of the twisting further altering the geometry.These steps should be done before geometry correction.

Happy tweaking smile.gif
post #3347 of 3948
I had my wife gently push the screen out from the inside, and sure enough, the geometry near the bottom straightened right up as the screen actually became flat. Now, how can I make that permanent? As soon as you stop pushing on it, it pops right back to where it was.
post #3348 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

I had my wife gently push the screen out from the inside, and sure enough, the geometry near the bottom straightened right up as the screen actually became flat. Now, how can I make that permanent? As soon as you stop pushing on it, it pops right back to where it was.

That's the part that sucks (no pun) its a vacuum that sucks the screen back in, sooner or later one of us will come up with something to fix this:D
post #3349 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

That's the part that sucks (no pun) its a vacuum that sucks the screen back in, sooner or later one of us will come up with something to fix this:D

Yeah, I didn't think of that, with the fan pulling cooling air in, it would create a vacuum.

I wonder if there would be a way to "train" the screen to stay out by maybe tilting the set slightly forward while not watching and nudging the screen to the flat position (assuming it wouldn't bow out the other direction). If it sits that way most of the time, I wonder if it would eventually stay that way when sitting flat. It certainly took no real force to move the screen from concave to flat. It might do it on its own if tilted forward.
Edited by BrentBridge - 8/22/12 at 8:37am
post #3350 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

That's the part that sucks (no pun) its a vacuum that sucks the screen back in, sooner or later one of us will come up with something to fix this:D

Yeah, I didn't think of that, with the fan pulling cooling air in, it would create a vacuum.

I wonder if there would be a way to "train" the screen to stay out by maybe tilting the set slightly forward while not watching and nudging the screen to the flat position (assuming it wouldn't bow out the other direction). If it sits that way most of the time, I wonder if it would eventually stay that way when sitting flat. It certainly took no real force to move the screen from concave to flat. It might do it on its own if tilted forward.

Check all around the perimeter to make sure it's installed correctly. It might just need to be persuaded back into the right slot. Heck, there may even be debris in the slot preventing it from seating fully.
post #3351 of 3948
I have a 67 sammy dlp that I have had really good luck with,still on its original bulb from 08 when i got it at costco. Im thinking of getting a newer larger set,around the 70 to 80 range. Does this mits have any reliability issues like the sony sxrd did with the optical block,or any other issues I should know about before buying. I want 3d for the kids and it would be nice to have a smart tv features as well,I dont have alot of outside light in the room,a few windows off on the far side of the room,dont think that will effect glare to much,all night time lighting is can lighting as well. What model do you all recommend?Are the glossy screen models really that much better,my current sammy dlp has a matte screen and still looks great. where is the best place to get deals on these.

I was comparing to the sharp 70 inch,but there is so much complaints with pq on them im looking at going dlp again,I really wish sammy still made them,Ive had great results with this one.
post #3352 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

I have a 67 sammy dlp that I have had really good luck with,still on its original bulb from 08 when i got it at costco. Im thinking of getting a newer larger set,around the 70 to 80 range. Does this mits have any reliability issues like the sony sxrd did with the optical block,or any other issues I should know about before buying. I want 3d for the kids and it would be nice to have a smart tv features as well,I dont have alot of outside light in the room,a few windows off on the far side of the room,dont think that will effect glare to much,all night time lighting is can lighting as well. What model do you all recommend?Are the glossy screen models really that much better,my current sammy dlp has a matte screen and still looks great. where is the best place to get deals on these.
I was comparing to the sharp 70 inch,but there is so much complaints with pq on them im looking at going dlp again,I really wish sammy still made them,Ive had great results with this one.

I was shopping for a new set last month to replace my 62" Mitsu DLP. I wanted 80" or bigger. I looked at the Sharp sets and man was I disappointed in the PQ on those. That SOE on movies drove me nuts and SD TV looked a mess. I wound up with another Mitsu (82840) and I am overjoyed with it. This is an amazing TV and the price point makes it even more amazing. I've had it 2-3 weeks now and am extremely happy with it. I hope they never stop making these, just updating the tech with Laservue, etc.
post #3353 of 3948
so i checked on some things..pauls tv is sold outa the 82840,this seems to be the only model with the gloss screen,the 73 840 they said also had a matte screen, The newer models of the 842 are $1599 for the 73 and $2099 for the 82. Any better deals out there than that.
Why would they discontinue the 840s gloss screen if they were actually better? What does sse look like,im not sure what you guys mean by that,I dont see any problems with my 67 sammy dlp I have now
post #3354 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

so i checked on some things..pauls tv is sold outa the 82840,this seems to be the only model with the gloss screen,the 73 840 they said also had a matte screen, The newer models of the 842 are $1599 for the 73 and $2099 for the 82. Any better deals out there than that.
Why would they discontinue the 840s gloss screen if they were actually better? What does sse look like,im not sure what you guys mean by that,I dont see any problems with my 67 sammy dlp I have now

They're not discontinued but making room for the new models (842s). They probably just ran out of last model (840s).
post #3355 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

so i checked on some things..pauls tv is sold outa the 82840,this seems to be the only model with the gloss screen,the 73 840 they said also had a matte screen, The newer models of the 842 are $1599 for the 73 and $2099 for the 82. Any better deals out there than that.
Why would they discontinue the 840s gloss screen if they were actually better? What does sse look like,im not sure what you guys mean by that,I dont see any problems with my 67 sammy dlp I have now

Silk Screen Effect is caused by the lenticular screen, if you focus on it instead of the picture. It is more apparent on brighter images like hockey games. The picture, as you undoubtably know, is projected through the lenticular screen and it can sometimes look as if one were viewing it through a veil or stocking (and evidently, a silk stocking).
post #3356 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Silk Screen Effect is caused by the lenticular screen, if you focus on it instead of the picture. It is more apparent on brighter images like hockey games. The picture, as you undoubtably know, is projected through the lenticular screen and it can sometimes look as if one were viewing it through a veil or stocking (and evidently, a silk stocking).

I'd stay away from the matte screen. It creates a similar effect to the SSE from the lenticular screen(that SSE doesn't bother me at all and like Auger says, you only really notice it if you focus on it). The matte screen coating is impossible not to notice and takes you away from what you're watching.
post #3357 of 3948
hmm wesley hester above posted he owned both the mits sets with matte and gloss screens and couldnt tell much of a diff between the 2. My Sammy 67 dlp has a matte screen and I dont notice any sse with it, Really the sharp 70 I was looking at seemed like it had more of screen door effect,it look much more pixelated than the dlp tvs to me? So I dont see how this could be a real complaint worth worrying about with this tv,unless im missing something,or people are just way more critical than I when it comes to pq.
post #3358 of 3948
Has anybody tried a Darbee Vision Darblet with one of these new Mitsubishi's?
post #3359 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

hmm wesley hester above posted he owned both the mits sets with matte and gloss screens and couldnt tell much of a diff between the 2. My Sammy 67 dlp has a matte screen and I dont notice any sse with it, Really the sharp 70 I was looking at seemed like it had more of screen door effect,it look much more pixelated than the dlp tvs to me? So I dont see how this could be a real complaint worth worrying about with this tv,unless im missing something,or people are just way more critical than I when it comes to pq.

And another recent poster returned his matte set for a clear contrast set because of it. The matte coating has a MASSIVE effect. It's impossible not to see. Maybe I got a bad screen or something. But you can feel the coating on the screen..pretty bumpy.
post #3360 of 3948
just got back from the big screen store here. I didnt realize that the 840 models only the 82 and 90 inch had the clear screen,the 73 840 was matte also? My viewing point is 12 ft back and im not sure the 82 will work,seems large.The matte screen on the 73 840 looked pretty good though,It was playing rio on blueray, I didnt see much SSE with it,but the 82 840 looked a little bit crisper with the clear screen,but it had major glare even at night in there.I think someone may have just gotten a bad set that happened to be matte.cant judge them all by one bad apple
they didnt have the 842s in to demo yet,but they are all going back to matte,so their must be a reason for that. I may go back and check them out in a week or so when they get them in for demo.Can someone tell me what the measurements are on the 73 and 82.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)