or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series) - Page 114

post #3391 of 3948
I just wanted to suggest people consider a Darbee Darblet. An amazing device. I would not say it is perfect but improves the vast majority of content. I got one installed yesterday inline between my DUO and the 92840. It makes everything appear sharper, contrastier and more saturated. Some cable programming if you have it set to high you mke effect skin tone for the most part with reasonable setting there are no bad effects. It creates a lot of WOW factor and for the current pricing of $269 it is the bes thing you can do for your set. I have not watched any blu-ray yet, just OTA and Cable. improvement may range from marginal on some scenes to OMG on others. I am running HD mode with 42 percent setting. It maxes at 120 but that does start to create weird effect. Totally unlike a convention sharpness control, in increase intra-scene contrast. Nice about using it on a rear projector is it helps with washout from room lighting.

The remote and the device itself seem kind of hokey and cheap. It is simple with an HDMI in and HDMI out. Overall it is a keeper and the biggest bang for the buck in a display accessory you will find out there. Gives tremendous 3 dimensionality and POP. Highly reccommended. I would buy one now as the price is going up sigificantly. There is huge thread on the device in the Videoi Processor forum. I don't know how it does what it does and I normally have all effects processing turned off, but this is as close to magic in image enhancement as I ever seen.
post #3392 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I haven't watched the sequence that closely as it is a quite random event. The screen goes black and I observe blinking and I can only turn it back one after the blinking has stopped. I do know it never has happened with the remote control concealed. It used to happen failry often when the set was new and I had the remote out almost all the time dialing the set in.
I suspected an HDMI CEC event of some kind even CEC off. I had the remote out a couple weeks ago for a few days as I was making some service menu adjustments and during that time I had two episodes of the shutdown in 3 days. It was at that point I installed theUSB fan which I used to run on my 82837 and put the remote away.The TV has played a ton of hours since with the Olympics running constantly all the other programming I watch and preseason football all without a burp.

I would imagine if it's a spurious remote power command, the TV would do a normal shutdown sequence....TV turns off, 60 seconds go by, green LED starts blinking for 60 seconds (lamp is cooling down), then stops blinking. Then you could turn the TV back on. In my case, the TV shut down by itself, green light immediately started blinking rapidly for 60 seconds, then stopped blinking. Then I could turn the TV on as normal. The service tech said that's an indication that the TV is rebooting, for whatever reason...a "glitch" (don't you just love that word....kind of a catch all for "I don't know"). Anyway, it seems to be a fairly common random occurence, as I've seen various reports of unauthorized shutdowns in other AVS posts. See my post #3388 above for another possible cause, as depicted on the Mits website under "Troubleshooting".
post #3393 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JQ View Post

See my post above....#3377. I also contacted the local authorized Mits repair center....I don't think it's a heat related issue. A solid yellow light indicates overheating. When the TV shuts down by itself and the green light immediately blinks fast for about 30-60 seconds, a glitch of some sort is causing it to reboot. According to the Mits troubleshooting website, the most common cause is corrupted digital data presenting itself to the TV from the input source. The TV doesn't recognize it, doesn't know how to process it, and just reboots. Sounds logical, based on computer behavior. My one week old 73740 did this once last week while watching a DVD, and hasn't happened since.

I had a vague recollection of your post regarding corrupted data when it happened. I was watching some music videos on my HTPC. Hopefully it won't do it again...
post #3394 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JQ View Post

I would imagine if it's a spurious remote power command, the TV would do a normal shutdown sequence....TV turns off, 60 seconds go by, green LED starts blinking for 60 seconds (lamp is cooling down), then stops blinking. Then you could turn the TV back on. In my case, the TV shut down by itself, green light immediately started blinking rapidly for 60 seconds, then stopped blinking. Then I could turn the TV on as normal. The service tech said that's an indication that the TV is rebooting, for whatever reason...a "glitch" (don't you just love that word....kind of a catch all for "I don't know"). Anyway, it seems to be a fairly common random occurence, as I've seen various reports of unauthorized shutdowns in other AVS posts. See my post #3388 above for another possible cause, as depicted on the Mits website under "Troubleshooting".

My 73840 has shut down at least ten times since I bought it back in February. It has never happened when watching DVDs/Blu-rays, always when my wife or daughter is watching cable TV. Usually I can just turn the TV on again once the light goes out, but a couple of times I've had to hold the power button down for that 10-second (?) hard reboot before it will start up again.

It scared me the first couple of times it happened, but the TV seems to be fine. I'll have to try hiding the remote to see if that helps, but it's probably just bad data coming from the cable box.
post #3395 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I just wanted to suggest people consider a Darbee Darblet. An amazing device. I would not say it is perfect but improves the vast majority of content. I got one installed yesterday inline between my DUO and the 92840. It makes everything appear sharper, contrastier and more saturated. Some cable programming if you have it set to high you mke effect skin tone for the most part with reasonable setting there are no bad effects. It creates a lot of WOW factor and for the current pricing of $269 it is the bes thing you can do for your set. I have not watched any blu-ray yet, just OTA and Cable. improvement may range from marginal on some scenes to OMG on others. I am running HD mode with 42 percent setting. It maxes at 120 but that does start to create weird effect. Totally unlike a convention sharpness control, in increase intra-scene contrast. Nice about using it on a rear projector is it helps with washout from room lighting.
The remote and the device itself seem kind of hokey and cheap. It is simple with an HDMI in and HDMI out. Overall it is a keeper and the biggest bang for the buck in a display accessory you will find out there. Gives tremendous 3 dimensionality and POP. Highly reccommended. I would buy one now as the price is going up sigificantly. There is huge thread on the device in the Videoi Processor forum. I don't know how it does what it does and I normally have all effects processing turned off, but this is as close to magic in image enhancement as I ever seen.

Does it help with the noise in the cable signal?

Also, how do you have it plugged in? I only have two sources, Blu-Ray and Cable, but they are plugged into different HDMI inputs on the Mits. I would have to physically switch the HDMI input into the Darblet to switch between the two.
Edited by BrentBridge - 8/29/12 at 5:03am
post #3396 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

Does it help with the noise in the cable signal?
Also, how do you have it plugged in? I only have two sources, Blu-Ray and Cable, but they are plugged into different HDMI inputs on the Mits. I would have to physically switch the HDMI input into the Darblet to switch between the two.

The cleaner the signal the better the Darbee Darblet does. You would need an HDMI switch or use an AVR as a switcher. More expensive switchers like the DVDO Edge are also out there Monoprice has good cheap HDMI switches.

It it not intended to remove noise. It sharpens, increase saturation, improves the dynamic range of a scene and produces a 3d effect this is can be very immersive.
post #3397 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

Does it help with the noise in the cable signal?
Also, how do you have it plugged in? I only have two sources, Blu-Ray and Cable, but they are plugged into different HDMI inputs on the Mits. I would have to physically switch the HDMI input into the Darblet to switch between the two.

Darbee Darlet seems to me good and here is the more review on it
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/DarbeeVision-Visual-Presence-DVP-5000-Darbee-Darblet-Video-Enhancement-Device-Review_352/Review.html
post #3398 of 3948
Just pulled the trigger on the 92840...it's going to replace my 70"XBR2. I seriously considered the Sharp 80" inch Quattron, we have a couple of Quattrons already (one which serves as my computer monitor). Overall we have been pleased with the Quattrons, but when I had an opportunity to view the 80" Quattron in a couple of different stores I was not impressed. Feed the set a blu ray signal and sit directly in front of it....picture looks great. Feed it less than a blu ray signal, and the results were average. Additionally sitting anywhere but the front of the set....and the situation becomes problematic.

I have had a couple of Mits in the past and loved them...so I decided to give the 92" a try. I bought it from Walt's, and as I live in Phoenix it would be a simple local delivery. So hopefully I can avoid some of the delivery horror stories I have read in this thread. I have the Oppo 95, so I am looking forward to the 3D performance of this set.

Delivery set for Friday....very few things in life beat getting a new electronic toy. biggrin.gif:D
post #3399 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traylorc View Post

Just pulled the trigger on the 92840...it's going to replace my 70"XBR2. I seriously considered the Sharp 80" inch Quattron, we have a couple of Quattrons already (one which serves as my computer monitor). Overall we have been pleased with the Quattrons, but when I had an opportunity to view the 80" Quattron in a couple of different stores I was not impressed. Feed the set a blu ray signal and sit directly in front of it....picture looks great. Feed it less than a blu ray signal, and the results were average. Additionally sitting anywhere but the front of the set....and the situation becomes problematic.
I have had a couple of Mits in the past and loved them...so I decided to give the 92" a try. I bought it from Walt's, and as I live in Phoenix it would be a simple local delivery. So hopefully I can avoid some of the delivery horror stories I have read in this thread. I have the Oppo 95, so I am looking forward to the 3D performance of this set.
Delivery set for Friday....very few things in life beat getting a new electronic toy. biggrin.gif:D

Congrats on your purchase. I have the 92842 with the Oppo 93 and can tell you that they are perfect together. I also ordered from Walts and I live on the East Coast. I must say that my delivery experience was top notch with white glove delivery. I had no issues and it came earlier than at first expected. Walts is a good place to deal with so far. This is a toy(s) that I can't get enough of each day. Whenever I walk into the room, I'm always amazed at the size and view.
post #3400 of 3948
Thanks...looking forward to receiving my TV tomorrow.
post #3401 of 3948
For anyone that has a 73", I have a question.

My current TV is a 65" old school rear projection HDTV (Toshiba TW65H80 -- finally got permission to upgrade biggrin.gif). It's in a media/entertainment center that was built with an area custom fit to the TV. The "hole" that the TV goes in is about 62" wide, while this DLP is 65.4" wide. I noticed that the back of the DLP is a pyramid-type shape and tapers.

If you don't mind measuring, at what depth does the back of the DLP get down to a width of about 60"? I want to know how much of the DLP will stick out of my cabinet.

If anyone could check this out for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
post #3402 of 3948
My 92840 arrived safe and sound...no drama or issues whatsover. Walt's called me yesterday to give me a two hour window of delivery (11:00-1:00pm) and they arrived at 11:30am.

Walt's sent two guys, both were polite and knowledgeable about the TV...additionally, they hauled away my old TV.

Overall I am very pleased, I will spend some time with the Disney WOW disc. I anticipate getting this set professionally calibrated in order to really see what it can do.
post #3403 of 3948
1st off Congrats to Traylor on his new 92" ,, I only wish i could justify that set..

I was thinking of buying the 82742 from Best Buy for $2199 & $379 4yr ext. warranty..
We were going to up to B.B. Saturday to see about the set.

Noticed awhile ago that Best Buy has removed them from their site..

Do any of you guys know what is going on ??
Has B.B. dropped Mitts from their store?


I may have to go Walts & have it shipped..
Would also appreciate Forum opinion from actual owners of the Mitts 82742
post #3404 of 3948
OK, after all the issues I've had with the 73742's (first received one with 490 hours already on it, then received the current one with the magically curving screen), now I have an issue with the Darbee Darblet I ordered. It seems to work OK, but the remote won't connect with it, therefore I can't sit at my normal viewing distance and try the different settings. The remote seems to be sending an IR signal (looked at it through a digital camera and it lit up when pressing buttons), but the unit never receives a signal. This is getting really frustrating. I think I will go back to an old 19" tube tv with rabbit ears.
post #3405 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

... I think I will go back to an old 19" tube tv with rabbit ears.

I think I would too...
post #3406 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ram Fan View Post

1st off Congrats to Traylor on his new 92" ,, I only wish i could justify that set..
I was thinking of buying the 82742 from Best Buy for $2199 & $379 4yr ext. warranty..
We were going to up to B.B. Saturday to see about the set.
Noticed awhile ago that Best Buy has removed them from their site..
Do any of you guys know what is going on ??
Has B.B. dropped Mitts from their store?

I may have to go Walts & have it shipped..
Would also appreciate Forum opinion from actual owners of the Mitts 82742

I can't help you with BB as I haven't bought a major appliance there in over 7 years. As for Walts, you will not be disappointed with them.
post #3407 of 3948
Thanks for the good word on Walts..

Anyplace i can get a good Labor Day Price ?
Seems there are sales everywhere.

We just bought a 65" Samsung from B.B. & it was a so-so experience.

The Sharp 80" or Mits 82" set i'm shopping for now will go in our freshened up basement..
I'm flexible...

I'll check Walts for both TV's
post #3408 of 3948
Give them a call for their best price.
post #3409 of 3948
how good are these mits DLP's?
i really want to buy one( WD73742)
is the blu ray and HD Picture really sharp?
post #3410 of 3948
I just purchased a WD-73740 from Walts about two weeks ago. It's the same as the '742 except for PC VNC (whatever that is...not interested). Otherwise, exact same specs and features. Also the '742 is 15 lbs lighter than the '740.....what did they chop off? If they have any left, it's a better price.

In my opinion, the picture from all inputs (antenna, DirecTV, 3D Blu ray) is simply fantastic. Extremely bright, clear, and sharp. I'll put it up against LCD/LED, Plasma, anytime. I replaced a 6 year old Mits WD-65732...never an ounce of trouble (until lightning fried the HDMI inputs), and never had to replace the bulb.

Highly recommended.
post #3411 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JQ View Post

I just purchased a WD-73740 from Walts about two weeks ago. It's the same as the '742 except for PC VNC (whatever that is...not interested). Otherwise, exact same specs and features. Also the '742 is 15 lbs lighter than the '740.....what did they chop off? If they have any left, it's a better price.

Congrats on the TV!

Any chance you'd be willing to help me out with my question I posted earlier biggrin.gif

The area for the TV in my entertainment center is about 62" wide. Do you know at what depth the back of the 73" TV gets down to a width of about 60"? I want to know how much of the DLP TV will stick out of my cabinet.

If you or anyone else could check this out for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
post #3412 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCrow View Post

Congrats on the TV!
Any chance you'd be willing to help me out with my question I posted earlier biggrin.gif
The area for the TV in my entertainment center is about 62" wide. Do you know at what depth the back of the 73" TV gets down to a width of about 60"? I want to know how much of the DLP TV will stick out of my cabinet.
If you or anyone else could check this out for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!


Tough to get behind my 73", but best (rough measurement), the TV will stick out of the cabinet by about 6"-7". The TV is 65" wide, so I measured in from the top 2-1/2" from each side (giving it a 60" center measurement), and eyeballed it to the rear inward slope-down of the cabinet. Hope this helps.
post #3413 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ram Fan View Post

1st off Congrats to Traylor on his new 92" ,, I only wish i could justify that set..
I was thinking of buying the 82742 from Best Buy for $2199 & $379 4yr ext. warranty..
We were going to up to B.B. Saturday to see about the set.
Noticed awhile ago that Best Buy has removed them from their site..
Do any of you guys know what is going on ??
Has B.B. dropped Mitts from their store?

I may have to go Walts & have it shipped..
Would also appreciate Forum opinion from actual owners of the Mitts 82742
Get the Square Trade Warranty from Costco... about $100 and it does not overlap the factory warranty so you end with a full five years.
post #3414 of 3948
I just wanted to add a recent data point on the shutdown. Thursday night I had the remote out for a few minute doing a hand touch up to compensate for lamp wear and sure enough the TV shutdown. It only happens when the Mits Remote is aimed at the set. I am now 99.99 percent at least in my case the remote is sending out something lthat shuts the TV down.
Edited by gtgray - 9/3/12 at 4:22pm
post #3415 of 3948
I had my remote out all day when i was still setting up my TouchSquid and I didn't have anything like that happen on the 92842. Is this only with the 840's?
post #3416 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JQ View Post

Tough to get behind my 73", but best (rough measurement), the TV will stick out of the cabinet by about 6"-7". The TV is 65" wide, so I measured in from the top 2-1/2" from each side (giving it a 60" center measurement), and eyeballed it to the rear inward slope-down of the cabinet. Hope this helps.

Yes, that is extremely helpful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to check! I greatly appreciate it.
post #3417 of 3948
Anyone in the market for a mitsu 73" I got my 73740 at HSN. com (they have 82" as well but price was not good to me) as I posted many pages ago I got mine back in march from them the deal included 73740 with stand, 2 YEAR Warranty ,WIFI Adapter and Free Shipping with 9months same as cash it was 1499.99-no tax Good deal to me ...They now have the 2012 models - 73742 dont see any difference. everything else is same except they dropped the warranty back to 1 year? and its 1599.99 which I think is still a good deal or 1699.99 adding sony Blue ray...Just a FYI QVC . com also has the 73",82" and 92"
post #3418 of 3948
I'd like to ask that anyone who is familiar with Mit's rear projection units in general (and artifacts expected) please take a look at an issue I'm having with a Laservue.: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1353866/official-2011-mitsubishi-laservue-l75-a94-owners-thread/570#post_22366595

Obviously a lot fewer laservue owners are around and my problem (or maybe non-problem(?)) is to do with the whole RP thing in general and not necessarily lasers.
I just don't know if what I'm seeing is expected of rear projection or if I have a bad screen and/or mirror.

Any help would be helpful.
post #3419 of 3948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ram Fan View Post

1st off Congrats to Traylor on his new 92" ,, I only wish i could justify that set..
I was thinking of buying the 82742 from Best Buy for $2199 & $379 4yr ext. warranty..
We were going to up to B.B. Saturday to see about the set.
Noticed awhile ago that Best Buy has removed them from their site..
Do any of you guys know what is going on ??
Has B.B. dropped Mitts from their store?

I may have to go Walts & have it shipped..
Would also appreciate Forum opinion from actual owners of the Mitts 82742



Not sure what the deal is, but Best Buy has the Mits. line-up back on their site....
They have however raised the prices quite a bit
Seems the cost of 4 yr. ext warranty also went up !!
We're in no Big Rush now.
Am still debating the Mits 82741 up against the Sharp 80"

Am still super interested in info on extended warrantys from Walts & USAppliance. [cost,, service company, forum satisfaction]

..........
post #3420 of 3948
Contact Walts for your warranty cost for the 82". Their warranty is "in home" repair like I had through Best Buy on my 61", so I'm happy with that. I hope I never need it, but it is good to know that it is there. Walts uses CPS Central for warranty outside of their area (Arizona). They are like another national service "middle man" we used at work for IT services. You are held to a high standard in order to be and remain in the program.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)