or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series) - Page 4

post #91 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post

Congrats Jordanz, keep us posted when it arrives!

Will do - I'll try to take pics. This is replacing a Sony LCOS 70" who's optical block died.
post #92 of 3950
Hey all...

Looks like I am being offerred a WD73740 as a replacement for my WD62525. Unfortunately I missed the call and they left a voicemail but didn't mention the price in the voicemail! So now I will have to wait until Monday to find out the price. I am guessing that I won't have as good a deal as some of the others ($500). I am wondering what they will offer. I had the power board replaced under warranty in 2007, and now the electrical chassis has failed. They actually first offered to cover the cost of the replacement chassis, and I would have to pay for the labor (about $300). I asked about the possibility of a replacement when they called me on Tuesday, and today they left me the message.

Anyone else been offered this TV for the model that I have? Just curious what price they offered.

And for the person who was offered the 73740 for $500, did this include shipping? I think I would go for it if they were about $850 or less (shipped).
post #93 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post
Congrats Jordanz, keep us posted when it arrives!
This thread is missing pictures for sure !!
post #94 of 3950
I would like to know how owners are with their 73740's, are ya happy with it so far?

Been looking around, and reading all kind of stuff on HDTV's. Sure freaks me out the more I find out about things, that's for sure. One example: I like the picture of the new LED's, but the side-lit ones seem to have flaws(Clouding & Flash-lighting). Thin HDTV's make for a good looking design, but it's what's on front that matters to me. I can live with some issues, but that clouding stuff in those videos I watched, would be to much to overlook. I'd probably go with Plasma at this time if we go the flat panel route. Some of those 60+ Plasma are looking good in our price range($1,400 - $2,400). Plus, HSN had a sweet deal($1499.00) on a LG 55" 480Hz Full-Array LED Smart HDTV with Built-In Wi-Fi too. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...................ALL THE CHOICES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So confusing with which TV to go with at times, and it seems no HDTV is prefect, but I hope I make the right choice. We want to get as close as we can to a 2D-3D Movie experience in our living room, and these 73740 Mitsubishi's are in the final cut. Plus, watching sports is huge in our home too. Will be buying a HDTV this week or next if the right deal pops up, and any feedback would be sweet.

Thanks
I feel a little better after somewhat venting about all these choices............ :P
post #95 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

Hey all...

Looks like I am being offerred a WD73740 as a replacement for my WD62525. Unfortunately I missed the call and they left a voicemail but didn't mention the price in the voicemail! So now I will have to wait until Monday to find out the price. I am guessing that I won't have as good a deal as some of the others ($500). I am wondering what they will offer. I had the power board replaced under warranty in 2007, and now the electrical chassis has failed. They actually first offered to cover the cost of the replacement chassis, and I would have to pay for the labor (about $300). I asked about the possibility of a replacement when they called me on Tuesday, and today they left me the message.

Anyone else been offered this TV for the model that I have? Just curious what price they offered.

And for the person who was offered the 73740 for $500, did this include shipping? I think I would go for it if they were about $850 or less (shipped).

My offer for a 73740 as a replacement for my 73727 was $500 plus $250 "white glove" shipping and delivery. They've also offered me a replacement matching stand for $250 plus shipping. It's really frustrating dealing with Mits customer service on this, though. If you miss their call, there's a lot of phone tag, as it seems that only "supervisors" can do anything. I've been trying to accept their offer for a week now.
post #96 of 3950
Yeah - I called them back on Saturday on the off chance that they could tell me the price, and I was put on hold for about 3 minutes and they came back on the line and told me that I would get a call Tuesday.

I also asked if there was any option for them to take away the defective TV as part of the delivery, and he "put this in the notes".

Does "white glove" include moving the TV to its final location?

And do you know if they charge sales tax if you aren't in California?

Thanks for the response,
Jeff

Edit: I was also wondering why they were bumping me to a 73" (from my 62"), but then I noticed that the 73" is the smallest they offer in the XXX40 series now. They were also offering the XX740 series instead of the more entry level XX640 series - not sure why this is the case either, since my bad TV is the entry level XX525 series. This is why I don't have high hopes of getting a very good deal. It looks like the retail on the 73740 is in the neighborhood of about $2k...
post #97 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

Yeah - I called them back on Saturday on the off chance that they could tell me the price, and I was put on hold for about 3 minutes and they came back on the line and told me that I would get a call Tuesday.

I also asked if there was any option for them to take away the defective TV as part of the delivery, and he "put this in the notes".

Does "white glove" include moving the TV to its final location?

And do you know if they charge sales tax if you aren't in California?

Thanks for the response,
Jeff

Based on today's confusing and inconsistent phone conversations with Mitsubishi, if I send them a cashier's check (only that or money orders accepted) for the agreed-upon price including shipping, they will send me the TV in 5 days. My understanding is that the white glove delivery does bring the TV to its final location, as one aspect of the delivery is that they'll plug the TV in and test it. While this could be done just inside the front door, it indicates to me that the delivery is probably to the final location in my house. As for sales tax, I'm in Illinois and it does not appear that Mitsubishi has added any sales tax. The cashier's check amount I was told to send matched the quoted price, which I don't believe included sales tax. It would be great if they'd take away my dying 73727, but I don't want to make the request for fear that I'll be waiting another week on supervisor approval. There's still a long road to go, but there's at least a chance I'll have a set to review and post pictures of next week.
post #98 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket22 View Post

Based on today's confusing and inconsistent phone conversations with Mitsubishi, if I send them a cashier's check (only that or money orders accepted) for the agreed-upon price including shipping, they will send me the TV in 5 days. My understanding is that the white glove delivery does bring the TV to its final location, as one aspect of the delivery is that they'll plug the TV in and test it. While this could be done just inside the front door, it indicates to me that the delivery is probably to the final location in my house. As for sales tax, I'm in Illinois and it does not appear that Mitsubishi has added any sales tax. The cashier's check amount I was told to send matched the quoted price, which I don't believe included sales tax. It would be great if they'd take away my dying 73727, but I don't want to make the request for fear that I'll be waiting another week on supervisor approval. There's still a long road to go, but there's at least a chance I'll have a set to review and post pictures of next week.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted! I will do the same if the price is right...
post #99 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket22 View Post

Based on today's confusing and inconsistent phone conversations with Mitsubishi, if I send them a cashier's check (only that or money orders accepted) for the agreed-upon price including shipping, they will send me the TV in 5 days. My understanding is that the white glove delivery does bring the TV to its final location, as one aspect of the delivery is that they'll plug the TV in and test it. While this could be done just inside the front door, it indicates to me that the delivery is probably to the final location in my house. As for sales tax, I'm in Illinois and it does not appear that Mitsubishi has added any sales tax. The cashier's check amount I was told to send matched the quoted price, which I don't believe included sales tax. It would be great if they'd take away my dying 73727, but I don't want to make the request for fear that I'll be waiting another week on supervisor approval. There's still a long road to go, but there's at least a chance I'll have a set to review and post pictures of next week.

Was your 73727 out of warranty when you called Mits and get this offer for the 740 as a replacement plus some change?
post #100 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

Yeah - I called them back on Saturday on the off chance that they could tell me the price, and I was put on hold for about 3 minutes and they came back on the line and told me that I would get a call Tuesday.

I also asked if there was any option for them to take away the defective TV as part of the delivery, and he "put this in the notes".

Does "white glove" include moving the TV to its final location?

And do you know if they charge sales tax if you aren't in California?

Thanks for the response,
Jeff

Edit: I was also wondering why they were bumping me to a 73" (from my 62"), but then I noticed that the 73" is the smallest they offer in the XXX40 series now. They were also offering the XX740 series instead of the more entry level XX640 series - not sure why this is the case either, since my bad TV is the entry level XX525 series. This is why I don't have high hopes of getting a very good deal. It looks like the retail on the 73740 is in the neighborhood of about $2k...

They replaced my 57" Medallion series (732) with the 65" Diamond series (835). They offered the 60" Medallion series first, but it didn't have the PerfectTint feature as the 57" had, and I insisted on keeping that feature.

There was no charge, and no shipping. They sent a local repair shop's truck to pick up the old TV the same day that the new one was delivered. Again, no charges for anything.

They want you happy, so it's all negotiable.

Edit: My set was more than a year out of warranty.
post #101 of 3950
I got the call today...

$858 shipped and placed in on its stand (therefore moved to the basement).

I asked about hauling away the old TV, and they said that I was on my own to dispose of it.

I think I will go for it and try to put the old one on Craigslist for cheap.

EDIT: They still have to call me back with the details on where to send payment to. Maybe I will push a little harder to get the old one removed when they call me back...
post #102 of 3950
Anyone know if frys will carry these?
post #103 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Anyone know if frys will carry these?

Not exactly an answer but I had stopped by my local Fry's because I wanted to see what the 82" looked like in person. They did have the WD-82738 ($2,252.86) and WD-82838 ($2,699.00) on the floor.
post #104 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

Was your 73727 out of warranty when you called Mits and get this offer for the 740 as a replacement plus some change?

Yes. I purchased the 73727 in November 2005. I had the light engine replaced for the first time in November 2008. When it went kapoot this time, it was about 5.5 years after purchase, so out of warranty.
post #105 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket22 View Post

Yes. I purchased the 73727 in November 2005. I had the light engine replaced for the first time in November 2008. When it went kapoot this time, it was about 5.5 years after purchase, so out of warranty.

Was the light engine replaced by Mits for free of charge amid the tv was out of warranty? Or did you purchase the extended warranty back then?

It seems like Mits did go out of its way to do this for you which is a bit unusual all things considered.
post #106 of 3950
post #107 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Great deal on the 82838 at fry's! http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3174018

$1,499?!? Holy cow, that's an awesome price. As noted above, it was $2,699 when I stopped at my local Fry's 10 days ago.

What does the 82840 give me that the 82838 doesn't? Besides the Clear Contrast screen?
post #108 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah67 View Post

$1,499?!? Holy cow, that's an awesome price. As noted above, it was $2,699 when I stopped at my local Fry's 10 days ago.

What does the 82840 give me that the 82838 doesn't? Besides the Clear Contrast screen?

I honestly haven't followed the features of the 2011 models but for that price i would jump all over the 82838 if i was in the market.
post #109 of 3950
Can a Mitsubishi xx740 series owner post some photos of the menu structure and the remote control? I would like to see what they look like...

I recall reviews of the previous models having a poor menu structure, and I am hoping that the new model is better!

Thanks in advance...
Jeff
post #110 of 3950
My Mitsubishi WD-82740 was delivered yesterday. It replaced a WD73732 that had a troubled history. The second light engine started to die last March but I elected to replace the set rather than repair it again. The warranty company paid me the cost of the repair to pass on the repair and go away.
I checked out the WD-82740 in the dealer's showroom on 8/3. In spite of lights in the ceiling and reflections from windows the color and overall picture looked great. I was going to look at the laser set (the A94) and decide between them. But, it was going to be probably 4 weeks before a laser set would be available. I figured if the laser picture was better it was not going to be $2000+ better.
The set came close to fitting in the same space occupied by the WD73732. The old set had about 2 inches for the frame around the picture, the 82740 about half an inch.
The set connected to the internet without a problem. I have been running set using the Bright and Natural picture settings. Bright is a little brighter than I would prefer and Natural a little too dark. I will play around with that perhaps this weekend with a calibration DVD and try to figure it out. I use the set mostly near or after sunset until football season starts.
The picture is, I think, better, more lifelike, than my old set when it was on good behavior and as good as my other set, a LG LCD/LED se, a LG55LW5600.
post #111 of 3950
I ordered the 640 instead of the 740 since I already have an Xbox so I don't need the internet features. People are looking for pics so here are a few. These pictures are in full daylight and my room has lots of windows. They are taken with an iphone 3gs.




post #112 of 3950
this is the 73640. Thanks to Walt's TV where I purchased it. They got me a good deal. Good people.
post #113 of 3950
Cool! Thanks for the pics of the menu. What does the remote look like? Is it universal (will it control AVR's or PVR's - does it have any PVR control buttons like play/pause/etc)?
post #114 of 3950
Yeah, thanks for those pictures.
Congratulations on your new cool Toy, it looks great.

After all the research looking at 55" LCD/LED, 50-60" Plasma, and DLP 3D HDTVs here lately. I'm 90% sure we've decided on a 640, 740, or 840 73" Mits DLP for our 3D purchase, but one of the Shopping Channels is having a bunch of Mitsubishi shows next weekend. Was about to buy, but then we noticed these darn shows. Not sure what their going to be offering, but we're going to wait to see before finally doing it.
Don't think I can wait much longer..... LOL
post #115 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanochron View Post
I ordered the 640 instead of the 740 since I already have an Xbox so I don't need the internet features. People are looking for pics so here are a few. These pictures are in full daylight and my room has lots of windows. They are taken with an iphone 3gs.
How are the viewing angles and more specifically how is the vertical viewing angle? Nice stand too what is it and how tall is it?
post #116 of 3950
Thanks. I'm really partial to DLP. I think the quality is better than other formats and the price/quality for sure makes DLP the best value. Although I must admit the 70" LEDs gave me pause.

Here is the picture of the remote as you can see it's really basic.

post #117 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyBama View Post
Yeah, thanks for those pictures.
Congratulations on your new cool Toy, it looks great.

After all the research looking at 55" LCD/LED, 50-60" Plasma, and DLP 3D HDTVs here lately. I'm 90% sure we've decided on a 640, 740, or 840 73" Mits DLP for our 3D purchase, but one of the Shopping Channels is having a bunch of Mitsubishi shows next weekend. Was about to buy, but then we noticed these darn shows. Not sure what their going to be offering, but we're going to wait to see before finally doing it.
Don't think I can wait much longer..... LOL
I hope ShopNBC will air the 840 Series on 8-13 (starting at 11pm CT 8-12)
I am looking to purchase the 92" Mitsubishi from them.
post #118 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai418 View Post
I hope ShopNBC will air the 840 Series on 8-13 (starting at 11pm CT 8-12)
I am looking to purchase the 92" Mitsubishi from them.

Those 92's are sweet looking, that's for sure..........

Can't say for sure yet, but it might be the 840 models because their having a contest anyone can enter on their Facebook page. Their giving away a killer 73" 840 package with 4 glasses, Blu-ray player, XBOX 360 Kinect, Madden 2012, and other cool stuff too on the 13th. This gives me hope it's the Mits DLP's their showing that weekend, but I'm not sure what size or model they will be. If it's the best deal we've seen, it's on because waiting is getting tougher & tougher.
post #119 of 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post
How are the viewing angles and more specifically how is the vertical viewing angle? Nice stand too what is it and how tall is it?

Yeah, that stand looks to be perfect for that TV.
Looks good
post #120 of 3950
The side to side viewing angles are great. From the side, the eyestrain from the picture being at such an angle was worse than any fading from the picture itself. Vertically, I am 5'8" and standing 4-5 feet from the TV during the day there was a slight fade of the bottom few inches of the screen. I forgot to sit on the floor like a child so I'll have to get back to you on that part. At night, I didn't notice the fading at all when standing near the screen.

I got the stand from Ashley Furniture a few years back. They had one of those sales that they sell a piece of furniture real cheap but you need the other piece of furniture and that one is a little high priced so it isn't much of a sale. Well I had just purchased the Toshiba 72HM195 (RIP) and needed a stand. The stand I got was perfect so I got a good deal. They were surprised and a little upset when I insisted I didn't need the top part.

50 bonus points for the person who can figure out what movie I had on in the pics above.

I need help in calibrating the screen. What is a good way to do that based on the menu controls I have?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)