or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Samsung LCD TV flashing/blinking like a strobe light
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung LCD TV flashing/blinking like a strobe light

post #1 of 92
Thread Starter 
I have a Samsung LN55C650 LCD HDTV and recently it's begun to flash/blink heavily like someone put a strobe light inside the TV. When it's happening, it happens on all inputs and all menu screens. Doesn't matter what the TV is showing. Even when I switch to an input not in use and the screen is blank/black (but the TV is on) you can still see the flashing. So maybe it's a bulb dying or a backlight issue?

I've had the problem fix itself both when the TV was on and when I've turned it off and then on a few minutes later. But it keeps coming back. I bought the TV about 16 months ago so I'm out of luck with the 1 year warranty.

I've tried switching cables, and using different power outlets. Doesn't seem to matter. Seems like an issue with the actual TV.

Any ideas what might be the problem? I've posted a short video if that helps: (remove spaces)

tinypic. com/player.php?v=of6ljd&s=7
zshare. net/video/91320027b3170258/

Also, it's a very consistent flashing. It doesn't get better or worse because of what's on the TV screen in case it might look that way in the video with the ridiculous sportscenter intro

Thanks for any help.
post #2 of 92
Don't turn the set on with any epileptics in the room.
post #3 of 92
I have the issue occurring with my television. Same make, same model. Did you ever figure out why it was doing this??

Thank you!
post #4 of 92
Wow I am having the same problem with the 46 inch! It seems like theres alot more people out there with this very exact problem. I contacted samsung today but since I am out of my 1 year warranty just by a month or two, they will give me a call back to see what they can possibly do. I hope they will repair it since I didn't have this tv for long!
post #5 of 92
same thing happening to my LN46C750 earlier today. Bought in April of last year, now past the 1 year warranty, coincidence, not. Calling them on monday and they better be looking to help.
post #6 of 92
Sounds like a power supply issue. The power supply on these models include the high voltage inverter which supply high voltage to the panel backlights. I suppose that it could be a main board which is telling the P/S to turn the backlights on and off, but, I would bet that it is the P/S itself that is not holding the load or otherwise defective.
You might try changing the picture mode to Standard or Movie and also turning the backlight down in the picture settings. If this has an effect on the severity of the strobe effect, then it probably is the P/S.
post #7 of 92
I also have the same problem, anyone ever get it fixed?
post #8 of 92
I too have the ln46c750 with the same problems. Im 16months into it so im also out of luck with the warranty. Has anyne found a solution to this problem? Thx
post #9 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks521 View Post

I too have the ln46c750 with the same problems. Im 16months into it so im also out of luck with the warranty. Has anyne found a solution to this problem? Thx

Precised step-by-step solution with a youtube video? It would be nice!

The geeks here would say capacitor (common Sammy malady)/power supply/LCD inverter (inverter=electronic component that up-voltage to drive the CCFL). In that order. Perfectly fixable for a geek.

That's all u get, no youtube video sorry.
post #10 of 92
If your tv is 15 months or less old, go to the Samsung site and register it. You will still get the added 3 months of warranty and then have no problem getting a warranty repair.

Check the link and go to Register a Product:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/
post #11 of 92
Thanks mrbobb and mes444 for your help. I found a temp fix to this problem.last night. If you change the ECOmode? settings that should stop the flashing. But it still comes back but not as often.
post #12 of 92
Mine is older (3.5 years) but I'm getting the same thing. Difference is that it sometimes takes an hour (or HOURS) for the TV to come on. When it does, the strobe effect begins. I can only assume that the set is probably on its last legs.
post #13 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Mine is older (3.5 years) but I'm getting the same thing. Difference is that it sometimes takes an hour (or HOURS) for the TV to come on. When it does, the strobe effect begins. I can only assume that the set is probably on its last legs.

... this points to either bad power supply, or bad inverter. Probably capacitors, but it could be related to "hot-spots" as well - the solder joint that has loosen due to large currents running through, which in turn loosens the soldered connections, and connections starts to develop heat...

The backlight control signals are generated on AV processing board (or main board) so methodical TV check seems to be in order, with the Service Manual and the CRO

Boky
post #14 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

... this points to either bad power supply, or bad inverter. Probably capacitors, but it could be related to "hot-spots" as well - the solder joint that has loosen due to large currents running through, which in turn loosens the soldered connections, and connections starts to develop heat...

The backlight control signals are generated on AV processing board (or main board) so methodical TV check seems to be in order, with the Service Manual and the CRO

Boky

Doesn't sound ;like something I can do or access...in fact, it sounds expensive if I had it repaired. Perhaps time to junk it for a new set?
post #15 of 92
Some TV repair shops give quote estimate to get the TV going again, for a small charge or no charge at all.... or try to convince Samsung to repair the TV outside the warranty period.

Boky
post #16 of 92
just an update. Problem starting happening again. Opened a ticket with samsung. Bought in april of 2010 so out of warranty and no help from samsung. Spoke to the repair guy and look like its over 300 for repair. I told him I'm not interested in putting money into this defective tv. Pretty pathetic when your tv can't make it past 2 years without severe issues.

I've read about the many problems samsung has with cheap parts etc. Believing they corrected their reliablility problems was a big mistake on my part. I believe they purposely put defective parts into their tv's so they fail and consumers buy new ones but this consumer will never buy a samsung product again at work or at the office.
post #17 of 92
Any updates.. About to take my tv in and bight the bullet.. It's strobing nonstop now..
post #18 of 92
I'm having the same issue with my LN46C750, luckly i got the extended warranty on it as Samsung won't do a thing for it.

I'll post up the details after they fix it with as much detail as the repair guy will give me (part numbers, descriptions, etc)
post #19 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudsdude View Post

I'm having the same issue with my LN46C750, luckly i got the extended warranty on it as Samsung won't do a thing for it.

I'll post up the details after they fix it with as much detail as the repair guy will give me (part numbers, descriptions, etc)

that would be great!
post #20 of 92
Wow, talk about a fix that should be public.
Cut a jumper they missed at the factory. JP852 on the power supply board.

The fix (for backlight strobing):
Remove phillips screws that hold the back black metal cover onto the tv, there's one screw at the inputs area, the rest are all around the outside of the frame. All are in plain sight and no stickers or other items have to be removed to get the cover off.

After you have the cover off, cut a jumper on the power supply board that was missed at the factory.

Jumper location: JP852, it's a small connecting wire between the input and cold area of the power supply board.


Details:

There's a Samsung bulletin for this issue, it didn't show up on the repair guys computer. He called them as he thought it could be the panel itself (which requires authorization as it's over some set value), the guy on the line said it's a known issue and there was a bulletin by Samsung.

While I didn't get the bulletin number, the fix is to cut a jumper on the power supply board, something they missed in the factory.

Jumper: JP852

He cut that jumper, put the back panel back on and remounted the tv (it's wall mounted), problem fixed.

The repair guy said every Samsung TV in this class has the same issue, something that was missed at the factory. In my opinion this should be public knowledge and Samsung should be fixing these for free, even for those out of warranty.

A quick google search on the jumper lead me to another thread, with another model that was affected by this issue LN46C630
forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-520377/samsung-ln46c630-46-lcd-flickering

I also asked about a "buddy's older Samsung TV", thinking of the guy in this thread that said his TV takes forever to turn on, he said that's another known issue with bad cap's on the power supply, easily seen by bulging of the cap's. To fix those the caps have to be replaced, he said that's so common that he keeps a whole bunch of caps for the Samsung power supply's in his repair truck.
post #21 of 92
WOW MAN! THANKS! I sincerely appreciate it. I will get this taken care of and report back.
post #22 of 92
Ours was bought in mid-July of this year, it's less than 6 months old - started flashing last night, tonight no picture and a spot on the screen that looks like something burned through. Samsung UN46D6000 from Best Buy. Thankfully we paid the extra $200 for a 4 year service plan. I'm calling tomorrow and I will print out the info above that references the issue with Samsung that they missed. Samsung should recall the TVs if they now have a known problem that was missed. I'd heard good things about them which is why we chose the brand. We have a small Samsung LCD that's never given a problem. I'm worried we bought an expensive piece of junk, but if this is a flaw that can be corrected rather than something that's going to keep happening hopefully it will last. We still have an RCA tube tv from 1992 as a backup that's going strong. It's a shame things get more expensive and less reliable.
post #23 of 92
Called and explained to Samsung again, this time i mentioned this and a few other threads (amazon, etc) of people all saying the same thing and Samsung said they would fix it out of warranty for me. Repair came, and replaced the power board.. so far it seems like it's fixed. BTW, fixing these tvs seem way too easy. Unscrew back, and power board, replace.. 5 mins.
post #24 of 92
I read on LN46C630 forum people fixed the problem by cutting jumper JP852, but there is no JP852 on my LN55C630, since my tv is 1 and 9 month old(warrenty long gone), I cut the jummper Jp854 on the exact location.(located on the power supply board upper left). Everything(setting, change mode, ... brightness... everthing) works fine again. Hope that helps.
post #25 of 92
I just posted this video on how I fixed my flickering issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaLnsL4Bq_4
post #26 of 92
Try this post I just added after fixing mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZwQ0gRQ9sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzeplzep View Post

I have a Samsung LN55C650 LCD HDTV and recently it's begun to flash/blink heavily like someone put a strobe light inside the TV. When it's happening, it happens on all inputs and all menu screens. Doesn't matter what the TV is showing. Even when I switch to an input not in use and the screen is blank/black (but the TV is on) you can still see the flashing. So maybe it's a bulb dying or a backlight issue?

I've had the problem fix itself both when the TV was on and when I've turned it off and then on a few minutes later. But it keeps coming back. I bought the TV about 16 months ago so I'm out of luck with the 1 year warranty.

I've tried switching cables, and using different power outlets. Doesn't seem to matter. Seems like an issue with the actual TV.

Any ideas what might be the problem? I've posted a short video if that helps: (remove spaces)

tinypic. com/player.php?v=of6ljd&s=7
zshare. net/video/91320027b3170258/

Also, it's a very consistent flashing. It doesn't get better or worse because of what's on the TV screen in case it might look that way in the video with the ridiculous sportscenter intro

Thanks for any help.
post #27 of 92
I'm experiencing the same problem on the LN-T4053H, does anyone know which jumper I have to cut? Thanks!
post #28 of 92
Have to say thanks for this post, I just started having this problem on my two year old LN46C650.

Took it apart a bit ago and cut the jumper, things seem to be back to normal now. We'll see how it performs over the next few days.
post #29 of 92
ok guys,

for the LNxxC6xx series:

check the part number on the power supply.

if the part number is: BN44-00341B or BN44-00343B, cut jumper JP852

if the Part number is: BN44-0342B (55" Power supply), Cut jumper JP854

if this does not fix, the power supply needs to be replaced.

The LNT4053 is most likely being caused by Bulged and leaking capacitors on the power supply. it probably is also taking a long time to turn on.
post #30 of 92
I just wanted to thank ya'll for the posting of the flickering on the Samsung LCD TV... I followed the simple task of removing the back and sniping the jumper wire on the power supply board as detailed and it works beautifully now... Seldom is such an easy fix this good or easy... Ours is the 46" and everything was exactly as explained for a non tech such as myself... thanks again... Bwilhoit in Houston...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Samsung LCD TV flashing/blinking like a strobe light