or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 67

post #1981 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL1949 View Post

yeah.. I think I am a basic user, and don't have some of the data throughput issues and complex feature/function issues some people see.

My other thought on this, is that Onkyo ought to sign up JimAdams and Nightfly to be ongoing field test sites for new AVRs. If it gets their approval it's ready for "First Customer Ship"!

LMAO Steve!!! Yea, I seem to be able to break anything. If it ain't idiot-proof I'll find a crack somewhere.

Thanks for the laugh sir. I needed it
post #1982 of 5806
Got a new Emotiva Ultra 12 sub and went to hook it up tonight. I now have a noticeable hum. The hum was there before but nowhere near as noticeable with my other in floor subs. Now i need to trace this down. I have tried other outlets all components except sub run through a Monster hts 3600 surge prot..
If i mute the hum goes away. When I switch inputs the hum is there except on PC, USB, and Net. If I am on the CBL/SAT input and pause i can hear it but turning the cable box off makes it go away. Every once in a while the hum gets a little louder.
I will try a different cable tomorrow but i need to get a longer one that will reach though i doubt thats it because i remember hearing it on my floor subs and that is a different run.
The sub and receiver are both 2 prong and have seen times when eliminating ground solves these issues.
I know there is a solution just need some advice on getting to it.
post #1983 of 5806
Has anybody found out if Onkyo fitched the twitching bug in their scaler. Specifically this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17671811

Their older series used to auto-convert 23.976 fps to 24.000 fps EVEN with full-bypass mode enabled.

This caused twitching issues with true 23.976 fps sources.

Is this bug fixed in TX809?
post #1984 of 5806
I have a question for any current owners.

This unit is listed at 17.13" deep. Would anyone like to check for me to see if that is the overall dimension from binding post to volume know, or is it just the case itself?

I'm thinking about ordering today, but I'm wondering if it will fit in my cabinet.
post #1985 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcy View Post

Has anybody found out if Onkyo fitched the twitching bug in their scaler. Specifically this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17671811

Their older series used to auto-convert 23.976 fps to 24.000 fps EVEN with full-bypass mode enabled.

This caused twitching issues with true 23.976 fps sources.

Is this bug fixed in TX809?

this would be good to know, i'm trying to pinpoint where this issue is coming from for me, it could be several different things and i never considered it to by my AVR
post #1986 of 5806
coryip -
As a troubleshooting technique, move the sub so it can be powered from the same Monster as all the rest. If it makes a difference, surely a ground loop. How good is the cable from receiver to sub?
post #1987 of 5806
I have plugged into the same surge no change. The cable is a monster sub cable, I have used a different cable with same result. I even made one with some extra rg6. I have disconnected the cable from the cable box and no change. If while on cable and paused I have hum and I can disconnect the Hdmi and it stops.
Tomorrow I am going to bring another sub home from work and see how that goes.
post #1988 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimadams View Post

LMAO Steve!!! Yea, I seem to be able to break anything. If it ain't idiot-proof I'll find a crack somewhere.

Thanks for the laugh sir. I needed it

These guys pay big dollars to test labs. ...all they really need it to give some freebies to a few of us!
post #1989 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post

I have a question for any current owners.

This unit is listed at 17.13" deep. Would anyone like to check for me to see if that is the overall dimension from binding post to volume know, or is it just the case itself?

I'm thinking about ordering today, but I'm wondering if it will fit in my cabinet.

anyone wanna grab a tape measure? I cant find one of these in a store locally.
post #1990 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post


anyone wanna grab a tape measure? I cant find one of these in a store locally.

The manual is correct at 435mm (17.125") - binding post to front of volume knob.

The cabinet is ~400mm.

BUT I would allow ~30mm extra, as at the back of mine the mains cable, optical and HDMI leads all extend beyond the binding posts.
post #1991 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

The manual is correct at 435mm (17.125") - binding post to front of volume knob.

The cabinet is ~400mm.

BUT I would allow ~30mm extra, as at the back of mine the mains cable, optical and HDMI leads all extend beyond the binding posts.

Correct. The main body is 16. but from binding post to 1/2 inch for volume knob it's just past 17 inches.

You need more than that in the rear for clearance for some cables.. so you need to account for a couple inches (at least) there.
post #1992 of 5806
HT Setup
Display: Panasonic TH-50PX600U
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809 (5.1 Set up)
Front Main: Polk Audio LSi 25 (Bi-Amped)
Center: Polk Audio LSi C
Surround: Polk Audio LSi FX (Dipole Mode)
Subwoofer: Onkyo (single Sub)
Tape Deck: Onkyo
Blue Ray Player: Sony BDP-S570
CD JukeBox : Sony CDP-CX355 300-Disc
Cable Box: Motorola
Receiver and Blue Ray Player :Networked
Room Size : 25' X 16'

I need help.

Bi-Amping Polk Audio Lsi25 provides amazing improvement in sound quality. I would recommend it to any one who owns speakers capable of Bi-Amping to use the option.

I am having center channel speaker detect error while doing Audessy set up. I have checked wire connections. They all are okay. I used another spare speaker as center channel and it worked.

Any advise?

Thanks
Mike
post #1993 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

The manual is correct at 435mm (17.125") - binding post to front of volume knob.

The cabinet is ~400mm.

BUT I would allow ~30mm extra, as at the back of mine the mains cable, optical and HDMI leads all extend beyond the binding posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL1949 View Post

Correct. The main body is 16. but from binding post to 1/2 inch for volume knob it's just past 17 inches.

You need more than that in the rear for clearance for some cables.. so you need to account for a couple inches (at least) there.

Cool thanks guys,

I believe that's about the size of my current AVR. I don't mind if the volume knob sticks out a little bit, and I can cut the back out of the rack a little bit as long as it doesn't show light around it visible from the front. I just didn't want the chasis having to stick out the back, as it would make it look bad.
post #1994 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Metal View Post

HT Setup
Display: Panasonic TH-50PX600U
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809 (5.1 Set up)
Front Main: Polk Audio LSi 25 (Bi-Amped)
Center: Polk Audio LSi C
Surround: Polk Audio LSi FX (Dipole Mode)
Subwoofer: Onkyo (single Sub)
Tape Deck: Onkyo
Blue Ray Player: Sony BDP-S570
CD JukeBox : Sony CDP-CX355 300-Disc
Cable Box: Motorola
Receiver and Blue Ray Player :Networked
Room Size : 25' X 16'

I need help.

Bi-Amping Polk Audio Lsi25 provides amazing improvement in sound quality. I would recommend it to any one who owns speakers capable of Bi-Amping to use the option.

I am having center channel speaker detect error while doing Audessy set up. I have checked wire connections. They all are okay. I used another spare speaker as center channel and it worked.

Any advise?

Thanks
Mike

>>> I used another spare speaker as center channel and it worked.

Seems like you've got a dead center channel speaker.
post #1995 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post

Cool thanks guys,

I believe that's about the size of my current AVR. I don't mind if the volume knob sticks out a little bit, and I can cut the back out of the rack a little bit as long as it doesn't show light around it visible from the front. I just didn't want the chasis having to stick out the back, as it would make it look bad.

Not sure what you upgrading from. But I upgraded from a Pioneer 1015, and this Onk is a whole new ball game!
post #1996 of 5806
Has anyone noticed a repeating 'tick' sound from surround channels on CBS shows? I have experienced this on "Unforgettable" and now I am hearing it on "NCIS". I don't recall hearing it on any other channels, but I thought I'd ask in case there was more to it than just 'bad surround mix broadcast' - And while I'm asking, has anyone found a good setting for shows like American Idol or X-Factor? They seem so be sending a horrid mix out where the vocals are buried and/or echo-y...
post #1997 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

has anyone found a good setting for shows like American Idol or X-Factor?...

Yes, Standby works best. :-)

Although, if you were serious, you should try THX Music listening mode. You might want to turn up the centre channel.

Although, thinking about it, can you post your settings? There might be many who would like to use them......
post #1998 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

Yes, Standby works best. :-)

Although, if you were serious, you should try THX Music listening mode. You might want to turn up the centre channel.

Although, thinking about it, can you post your settings? There might be many who would like to use them......

I have tried ALL the settings - Including standby (The wife does not approve of this method)... I find i have to crank the Center up to +4 or 5 to hear the contestant clearly - Then dial it back down for the judges.. A PITA for sure, but having the app on my phone & Tablet makes it a bit easier
post #1999 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

Has anyone noticed a repeating 'tick' sound from surround channels on CBS shows? I have experienced this on "Unforgettable" and now I am hearing it on "NCIS". I don't recall hearing it on any other channels, but I thought I'd ask in case there was more to it than just 'bad surround mix broadcast'

I have noticed a repeating "tick" sound on some shows, but I did not keep track of which ones. It did not seem like it should be there, but I did not think to blame the receiver. I sure hope it's not the receiver doing this...

Gregg
post #2000 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

Has anyone noticed a repeating 'tick' sound from surround channels on CBS shows? I have experienced this on "Unforgettable" and now I am hearing it on "NCIS". I don't recall hearing it on any other channels, but I thought I'd ask in case there was more to it than just 'bad surround mix broadcast' - And while I'm asking, has anyone found a good setting for shows like American Idol or X-Factor? They seem so be sending a horrid mix out where the vocals are buried and/or echo-y...

I have the same problem with vocals when watching x-factor. It's not our equipment but something on their end. I use THX cinema while watching all cable programs.
post #2001 of 5806
I just tried the network radio feature, namely Sirius/XM, for the first time. I have not signed up for Pandora, Rhapsody, or any others.

Does anybody know if there is better audio quality on some stations vs others? I am not too impressed with XM. It seems kind of thin and processed.

What are your favorite channels?

Thanks for any help.
post #2002 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

I just tried the network radio feature, namely Sirius/XM, for the first time. I have not signed up for Pandora, Rhapsody, or any others.

Does anybody know if there is better audio quality on some stations vs others? I am not too impressed with XM. It seems kind of thin and processed.

What are your favorite channels?

Thanks for any help.

I have no problem with the audio quality on Sirius/XM. I use THX music as my setting. What are you using?
post #2003 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

I just tried the network radio feature, namely Sirius/XM, for the first time. I have not signed up for Pandora, Rhapsody, or any others.

Does anybody know if there is better audio quality on some stations vs others? I am not too impressed with XM. It seems kind of thin and processed.

What are your favorite channels?

Thanks for any help.



...I'm a Napster subscriber and think it sounds better than the other music aps on the Onkyo. . Aupeo "free" sounds pretty good also!
post #2004 of 5806
Somebody please help. I have the Onkyo TX-NR809 and I like playing my music through DLNA in zone 2 or zone 3. The only problem is that the Onkyo remote can only control the volume and nothing else. I like to be able to skip songs, but I need to change to zone 1 in order to do this. This would be not too great if someone is watching a movie in zone 1. I cannot skip songs by pressing zone 2 and skip. I heard the Onkyo Android app does not fix this issue.
Is there a workaround?
post #2005 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrax View Post

I have no problem with the audio quality on Sirius/XM. I use THX music as my setting. What are you using?

After I listened some more, it's not too bad. I've mostly listened to The Bridge so far. It seems like I've heard some channels have a better data rate than others. Not sure which ones are the best. I'm using the STRAIGHT setting.

OK, it just cut out completely(on Pandora) while I am typing this post. Hasn't come back on for several minutes. It did the same thing earlier this evening on Sirius/XM.
post #2006 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingramba View Post

...I'm a Napster subscriber and think it sounds better than the other music aps on the Onkyo. . Aupeo "free" sounds pretty good also!

Thanks for the tip on Aupeo. It does sound pretty good, and I didn't even have to register.
post #2007 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post


After I listened some more, it's not too bad. I've mostly listened to The Bridge so far. It seems like I've heard some channels have a better data rate than others. Not sure which ones are the best. I'm using the STRAIGHT setting.

OK, it just cut out completely(on Pandora) while I am typing this post. Hasn't come back on for several minutes. It did the same thing earlier this evening on Sirius/XM.

Ok, it might have something to do with your wifi speed. I pay a little extra for high speed Internet. You might check that and see if your data package is enough for streaming music.
post #2008 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon180 View Post

Somebody please help. I have the Onkyo TX-NR809 and I like playing my music through DLNA in zone 2 or zone 3. The only problem is that the Onkyo remote can only control the volume and nothing else. I like to be able to skip songs, but I need to change to zone 1 in order to do this. This would be not too great if someone is watching a movie in zone 1. I cannot skip songs by pressing zone 2 and skip. I heard the Onkyo Android app does not fix this issue.
Is there a workaround?

The oRemote App seems to allow skip for Zone 2 whilst Z1 is unaffected.. It still doesn't allow you to select from the menu or use return keys for Z2, as these only seem to work when you are in the dedicated Net tab. But by selecting it, it automatically connects Z1 to Net source too.
post #2009 of 5806
I just tried OnkyoRemote2 for IOS and it behaves the same. You are allowed to skip, but no access to full Net menu control unless Z1 is also selected to Net source.
post #2010 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post


- It's HDMI switching isn't so good; can't switch HDMI output remotely in standby or on; I can't switch inputs remotely in standby.
- You're stuck with a static image in Net mode (listening to internet radio).

Some of these are minor annoyances, others more so, but...should I settle?

These might help your annoyances:-
1. HDMI Output switching - oRemote allows easy switching of Monitor Output when On, directly from tab2 - it sequences through the options
HDMI Main, HDMI sub, Both, both (main), Both (Sub). See attached. Android may similar.
This HDMI Output switching does not work in Standby - I can't see how a device should be expected to respond when in this mode. Turn it on, select your preferred HDMI Output, Put it back in Standby seems reasonable.

HDMI Input Switching - switching inputs in Standby? Same as above, switch the AVR On momentarily, select Source, deselect Standby. oRemote is easier, as you just select Source and AVR wakes up.

2. Static Image for Net. Not an elegant solution, but if you preout Zone 2 (playing Net) to TV/CD, you can then assign TV/CD to an HDMI of your choice for Z1. I think this was discussed elsewhere, can't really remember the details.
LL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread