or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 166

post #4951 of 5810
I would like to see an improvement in picture with the upconversion features.....if possible...or even if I could get my 46' Samsung 6100 LED Smart TV - look at least as good as my old Sony 34XBR800....

What would you guys/ gals say would be optimum settings for lower quality resources like 480p (I have a Gamecube, and Wii) and possible settings for really low quality like an (Atari Flashback, and YES a VCR )- which is likely 240i.

Any ideas???
post #4952 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendoboy View Post

I would like to see an improvement in picture with the upconversion features.....if possible...or even if I could get my 46' Samsung 6100 LED Smart TV - look at least as good as my old Sony 34XBR800....

What would you guys/ gals say would be optimum settings for lower quality resources like 480p (I have a Gamecube, and Wii) and possible settings for really low quality like an (Atari Flashback, and YES a VCR )- which is likely 240i.

Any ideas???

Not positive but I think IDT's HQV Vida video upscaling and processing circuits will do upscaling of all 480i/p, 576p, and 720p video sources to full 1080p, so 240i may not get upscaled, try it and see.

Another thing which may or may not be an issue to you is input lag that will be introduced due to the added processing of the video signal, that's why there is a dedicated game mode, which eliminates most, if not all processing to reduce input lag.

For best image quality, I would try out the custom mode and tinker with the many noise removal options. Here's some info about the Onkyo's Video Processing and Upscaling. - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1341271/official-onkyo-tx-nr809-thread/4920#post_22823148 and http://www.avsforum.com/t/1341271/official-onkyo-tx-nr809-thread/4920#post_22825192
post #4953 of 5810
FWIW I did end up sticking with the 809.

I had a replacement arrive from Amazon, since the first one seemed to really lack in the bass department. After using Audyssey on the replacement it did seem to sound a little better, but that could just be placebo.

The replacement was a newer build (higher serial number and a higher number stamped on the HDMI board) so I kept the newer one.

From what little info I gleened from the "local" service center, the HDMI board problem may still exist in the 809 but its not a guarantee that every one will fail. Was also told its an issue inherent to the board itself and that heat wont really make a difference (not sure how much I believe that though). I went with the newer build in hopes that along the way something got fixed, but all in all its probably just a crap shoot.
post #4954 of 5810
I too am sticking with the 809. Bought from Amazon for $450. Absolutely gobsmacked by (a) the price, and (b) the audio performance. Stellar sound. I decided to order exchange as the front door wouldn't close properly and I swear I noticed the odd HDMI dropout while watching Netflix - though I wonder if it was my imagination.

The new unit had higher serial #. So keeping the newer one.

Over the past few weeks I've tested almost everything under the sun (or so it seems) including:

Yamaha RX-V671
Yamaha RX-V773
Denon 2112ci
Denon 3312ci
Onkyo TX-NR616

and even the new Harman Kardon AVR 1700 (excellent performer for the price - I tried $169 open box from BB).

In the end, nothing could touch the audio performance of the 809. I'm very picky about audio quality in my home theater and given that I only change out the receiver every 5 years or so I get extra ornery. Maybe a little OCD, lol. I don't know if it's the MultEQ XT (though the Denon had that too) or the amp power, but whatever it is this thing truly shines with movies. Never does it feel as if it's "falling apart" when pushed to high volume. Conversely there's beautiful separation and clean delivery at low volumes too. Also, I found the center channel clear, unlike others that often sounded muddy.

Of course, my honeymoon phase may end quickly if the 809 catches fire like it did for the guy on Amazon (who posted vid). biggrin.gif


Onkyo TX-NR809
PS3
Sonos
Panasonic PT-AX100 Projector
120" Screen by Screen Innovations
Chief In-Ceiling Lift for projector
NHT/Speakercraft in-ceiling speakers
Edited by clintonstark - 1/14/13 at 10:47pm
post #4955 of 5810
Hehe, I saw that vid. I also replied. Not trying to say he is lying or anything but he did state it caught fire once before. Then he had a video of it the second time.

The way it....fired up (pun!) the second time, I wouldnt think it would have done the same thing once before and actually survived! As I posted there I think one of the boards near/under the amp area was touching the chassis. It wouldnt surprise me if something cracked/bent the way they ship these things (seriously, an AVR with $1K+ MSRP shipping in factory box only?)

Time will tell I guess. Im going to look into a squaretrade warranty (possibly through Costco because it seems you can buy them there now, even for equipment you didnt purchase there)
post #4956 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post

Im going to look into a squaretrade warranty (possibly through Costco because it seems you can buy them there now, even for equipment you didnt purchase there)

I am also going to buy an extended warranty. Since I bought my 809 through Amazon for $429, I want a warranty that will either fix or replace the amp - not just reimburse me money that is pro-rated from the purchase price. I think that the Onkyo extended warranty will do this ($69). Paragraph 3 of the warranty states "Repair or replacement is your only remedy under this Contract..."

http://63.148.251.135/redirect.cfm?file=ex_war.pdf

If I understand correctly, then if my 809 starts itself on fire three years from now and there are no other 809s available, Onkyo will replace it with a comparable unit. I am worried that other extended warranty contracts will pro-rate my purchase price and give me a cash settlement of a couple hundred bucks. I can't replace the 809 for a couple hundred bucks.

The base warranty on the 809 is two years. You can buy the Onkyo extended warranty any time before the base warranty expires.

Here is where you sign up for the warranty:

https://www.shoponkyo.com/addtocart.cfm?id=TXNR809&type=10

You have to pay to ship your unit to an authorized service center, but there is a service center located within 20 miles of my house, so I could drive it there.

BTW, Amazon is an authorized dealer:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/locations_intdealer.cfm


Is my thinking sound? Does anyone else have any insights before I buy this contract?
post #4957 of 5810
I just picked up the UBT-1 Bluetooth USB Adapter for $14 on Amazon (slick deal the other day). I did not realize this was for all 2012 receivers. Has anyone used this with the 2011 809?
post #4958 of 5810
i just tried using the HDMI sub output on my receiver by plugging in a a smaller HDTV. My big screen is set as the main and the small one is set to sub. If I try to watch on the smaller TV using HDMI passthrough without the big screen on, the smaller HDTV automatically shuts off after 5 minutes. Have tried different output settings (HDMI - Sub, HDMI - Both, etc) and I get the same result. I have tried plugging in the big screen into the HDMI sub and I get the same result. The only way it works, is if I turn off "HDMI Control(RIHD)". Is that normal?
post #4959 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyonewb View Post

i just tried using the HDMI sub output on my receiver by plugging in a a smaller HDTV. My big screen is set as the main and the small one is set to sub. If I try to watch on the smaller TV using HDMI passthrough without the big screen on, the smaller HDTV automatically shuts off after 5 minutes. Have tried different output settings (HDMI - Sub, HDMI - Both, etc) and I get the same result. I have tried plugging in the big screen into the HDMI sub and I get the same result. The only way it works, is if I turn off "HDMI Control(RIHD)". Is that normal?

Are both televisions the same resolution? Is the smaller set 720p and the larger one 1080P? What is your source when this happens?

Snipped from page 45 of the Onkyo txnr809 manual:
Monitor Out
Both:
Select this if your TVs are connected to HDMI OUT
MAIN and HDMI OUT SUB. Video signals are
output from both HDMI outputs at the resolution
supported by both TVs.
post #4960 of 5810
I tried both sources (PC and cable box). Both TVs can handle 1080p just fine. Even if I have HDMI (sub) set as my output with the big screen off, the smaller HDTV will still turn off. Its odd. Its just the standby passthrough that doesnt work. If I turn on the receiver and use 5.1 surround, it works fine with "HDMI Control(RIHD)" on. Is that normal?
post #4961 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian hammer View Post

I am also going to buy an extended warranty. Since I bought my 809 through Amazon for $429, I want a warranty that will either fix or replace the amp - not just reimburse me money that is pro-rated from the purchase price. I think that the Onkyo extended warranty will do this ($69). Paragraph 3 of the warranty states "Repair or replacement is your only remedy under this Contract..."

http://63.148.251.135/redirect.cfm?file=ex_war.pdf

If I understand correctly, then if my 809 starts itself on fire three years from now and there are no other 809s available, Onkyo will replace it with a comparable unit. I am worried that other extended warranty contracts will pro-rate my purchase price and give me a cash settlement of a couple hundred bucks. I can't replace the 809 for a couple hundred bucks.

The base warranty on the 809 is two years. You can buy the Onkyo extended warranty any time before the base warranty expires.

Here is where you sign up for the warranty:

https://www.shoponkyo.com/addtocart.cfm?id=TXNR809&type=10

You have to pay to ship your unit to an authorized service center, but there is a service center located within 20 miles of my house, so I could drive it there.

BTW, Amazon is an authorized dealer:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/locations_intdealer.cfm


Is my thinking sound? Does anyone else have any insights before I buy this contract?
I have read the warranty info the same way you did, and I concur. With SquareTrade the best is that they will refund the full purchase price. When you got a fantastic price on the 809, seems that the low price we paid,(I bought mine off Amazon for $431) isn't near enough to replace the AVR if it goes south.

I have purchased the extended warranty from Onkyo now because I wanted to be sure the extra two years would be there if I need them. The fine print also said they can change their mind at any time, so I locked my extended warranty in now when it was available.

Good luck to you with your 809, a fantastic AVR for sure!
post #4962 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Van Guy View Post

I have read the warranty info the same way you did, and I concur. With SquareTrade the best is that they will refund the full purchase price. When you got a fantastic price on the 809, seems that the low price we paid,(I bought mine off Amazon for $431) isn't near enough to replace the AVR if it goes south.

I have purchased the extended warranty from Onkyo now because I wanted to be sure the extra two years would be there if I need them. The fine print also said they can change their mind at any time, so I locked my extended warranty in now when it was available.

Good luck to you with your 809, a fantastic AVR for sure!

Got mine for $427, guess $65 more won't kill me. Amazing unit and I would like it to last a long while so I'm gonna get it as well.
post #4963 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewulf... View Post

Got mine for $427, guess $65 more won't kill me. Amazing unit and I would like it to last a long while so I'm gonna get it as well.

this !! same for me wink.gif
post #4964 of 5810
Has anyone connected any legacy game systems to this receiver (NES, SNES, N64, etc)? I am curious how it performs...
post #4965 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewulf... View Post

If the calibration was done properly, the center channel (where most dialog comes from) should be automatically set and sound pretty good. I actually had to turn mine down a bit.

How did you setup the microphone during your calibration? How many measurement points? Use a tripod or mic stand?


Picture Mode must be something other than "Direct" and here is the Resolution info -

Resolution
`Through: Select this to pass video through the AV receiver at the same resolution and with no conversion.
`Auto: Select this to have the AV receiver automatically convert video at resolutions supported by your TV.
`480p (480p/576p), 720p, 1080i, 1080p: Select the desired output resolution.
`1080p/24: Select this for 1080p output at 24 frames per second.
`4K Upscaling: Select this for an output resolution four times that of
1080p, resulting in 3840 × 2160 pixels.

You can specify the output resolution for the HDMI Output(s) and have the AV receiver upconvert the picture resolution as necessary to match the resolution supported by your TV.
Available only when “Source” has been selected in the “Resolution” of the “Monitor Out” setting.

It was hard to calibrate i had to jam it into the middle section of the tripod cause i couldn't get it to stay on the top of the tripod. But yea maybe u should do another calibration see if it works better?
post #4966 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian hammer View Post

I am also going to buy an extended warranty. Since I bought my 809 through Amazon for $429, I want a warranty that will either fix or replace the amp - not just reimburse me money that is pro-rated from the purchase price. I think that the Onkyo extended warranty will do this ($69). Paragraph 3 of the warranty states "Repair or replacement is your only remedy under this Contract..."

One more thought. I bought my 809 from Amazon using my American Express Blue Cash card. One of the benefits of the card is that it provides "an additional 1 year warranty extension to the manufacturer's warranty". I hope that this means that I have the original base warranty (2 years) plus the Onkyo extended warranty (2 years) plus the Amex warranty (1 year) for a total of five years.

Others may want to consider using a similar credit card if it helps to extend their warranty.
post #4967 of 5810
I have a question. The volume indicator light has stopped working. I wonder if I unintentionally turned it off, or if there is a place in the menus to turn it on. Does anyone know how to restore the light to the "on" position?

Thanks, Keith
post #4968 of 5810
Use the dimmer function. If you hit it once the volume turns off. A second time the main display dims and a third. Fourth is all off.
post #4969 of 5810
Hit the dimmer button on the remote to turn it back on....I turned mine off due to the brightness
post #4970 of 5810
Thanks guys, I didn't think it did anything, the dog stepped on the remote, there was an earthquake... I do appreciate the help.

Keith
post #4971 of 5810
something annoying i just notciced....while uising the 12v zone 2 trigger to turn on my emotiva xpa-5, if everything is already on and you plug in the audyessey mic it turns zone 2 off...so you have to manually turn on the emo. grrr

might not sound like a big deal, but I HAVE all my components behind a screwed on plexi-galss to keep my son away from them. so i had to unscrew it to get to it and manually turn it on...actually there is no way to turn on zone 2 while in calibration mode....
post #4972 of 5810
Newegg has the Pioneer 1222-K (Elite clone?) on sale for 550.00.

Paid 440.00 for this Onkyo....wondering if the Pioneer is a better replacement, reliability-wise anyway. I know the amps are "new" and the OSD stinks on the Pio, but reading about the 1222 and equivalent Elite unit (SC-61) they dont seem to have very many reliability issues.

Opinions?
post #4973 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post

Newegg has the Pioneer 1222-K (Elite clone?) on sale for 550.00.

Paid 440.00 for this Onkyo....wondering if the Pioneer is a better replacement, reliability-wise anyway. I know the amps are "new" and the OSD stinks on the Pio, but reading about the 1222 and equivalent Elite unit (SC-61) they dont seem to have very many reliability issues.

Opinions?

That looks like a very nice unit. I would want to get a good handle on the sound quality of those class D amps in there, before giving up my 809, which I really like the sound of.
post #4974 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

That looks like a very nice unit. I would want to get a good handle on the sound quality of those class D amps in there, before giving up my 809, which I really like the sound of.

yeah thats part of the problem....reviews on this unit (and even on the Elite unit that its so close to) are hard to come by. The few Ive seen rave about the audio quality, but that can be said about the 809 as well (if you look past all of the HDMI complaints)
post #4975 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post

Newegg has the Pioneer 1222-K (Elite clone?) on sale for 550.00.

Paid 440.00 for this Onkyo....wondering if the Pioneer is a better replacement, reliability-wise anyway. I know the amps are "new" and the OSD stinks on the Pio, but reading about the 1222 and equivalent Elite unit (SC-61) they dont seem to have very many reliability issues.

Opinions?

You should just buy the Pioneer. Your going to have a heart attack stressing out about whether you "might" have an HDMI issure sometime in the futre. Life is way too short to stress over a $450 receiver. It has a warranty, remember? If you do buy the Pioneer, I hope you don't have trouble with it. You will regret getting rid of the $450 809. It is a great unit. Just buy the Pioneer.
post #4976 of 5810
I sent back my 809 due to the hdmi issue and replaced it with an sc61. I'm starting to really like this receiver. Both the 809 and the sc61 sound good and are an improvement over my Yamaha. The pio osd is awful and the main annoyance is when adjusting the volume for example it doesn't show on the screen, just the front of the unit. Sound is very good, and as you said there aren't many reviews, but theyre all good..... If that means anything. BTW best buy price matched Amazon on the sc61. Ithink right now it's $750 on Amazon. Don't kknow if it applies to newegg but I've read pioneer doesn't honor warranty if bought online. BB offered an extended warranty of 4 years for $109. The sc61 comes with a 2 year warranty and it has a12v trigger. Other than that I think your right, pretty much the same receiver minus the "elite" name.
post #4977 of 5810
Does the Onkyo 809 play those older Blurays with the LPCM audio? Or does it convert it. Thanks.

And could someone please explain to me briefly what exactly the HDMI issue is that i've been reading about.
post #4978 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Does the Onkyo 809 play those older Blurays with the LPCM audio? Or does it convert it. Thanks.

And could someone please explain to me briefly what exactly the HDMI issue is that i've been reading about.

Sure, it just plays the LPCM track. I've had mine for 1.5 years now, and have had no problems with it at all. The HDMI issue would be that the HDMI board went out, or that the HDMI connections got loose and quit working.
post #4979 of 5810
Is this still an issue at all? Or are these 809's discontinued.
post #4980 of 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub5 View Post

I sent back my 809 due to the hdmi issue and replaced it with an sc61. I'm starting to really like this receiver. Both the 809 and the sc61 sound good and are an improvement over my Yamaha. The pio osd is awful and the main annoyance is when adjusting the volume for example it doesn't show on the screen, just the front of the unit. Sound is very good, and as you said there aren't many reviews, but theyre all good..... If that means anything. BTW best buy price matched Amazon on the sc61. Ithink right now it's $750 on Amazon. Don't kknow if it applies to newegg but I've read pioneer doesn't honor warranty if bought online. BB offered an extended warranty of 4 years for $109. The sc61 comes with a 2 year warranty and it has a12v trigger. Other than that I think your right, pretty much the same receiver minus the "elite" name.

Actually what Im really finding interesting is that this model has been around for a while, probably about as long as the Onkyo 809. Amazon no longer carries it, there is still a lack of reviews or even just owners posting about it.

Seems a little strange. Not doubting its a good avr but if D3 was really the end-all-be-all, Id figure it would be plastered all over the place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread