or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 180

post #5371 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Indy where did you find it at that price. Been watching it on Amazon for a while to catch a drop in price from $630 to no avail.

The Used - Like New price from Amazon Warehouse dropped to about $427 on July 3, 2013. Currently it is at $469. You are looking at New. They are different animals. You can use the CamelCamelCamel pricing feature to see the price fluctuations:

camelcamelcamel link

You can set a price watch and CCC will send an email alert on the price drop. Third party used is the category I bought. I guess Amazon Warehouse is considered third party. When I was haggling over my dysfunctional 809, the Amazon reps had little power to price match the now higher price 809s with my broken 809. Thankfully I repaired my 809 and did not need to return.
post #5372 of 5809
Do you have to buy the 809 from certain authroized sellers to get the warranty and/or extended warranties?
post #5373 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Do you have to buy the 809 from certain authroized sellers to get the warranty and/or extended warranties?

to get onkyo's extended warranty yes. here is a list of authorized on line retailers.

you may be able to get aftermarket warranties - squaretrade for example if you purchased from a non-authorized dealer.
post #5374 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Do you have to buy the 809 from certain authroized sellers to get the warranty and/or extended warranties?

Yes - absolutely. Amazon.com is authorized, Amazon Warehouse (a subsidiary of Amazon) is not. The ONLY warranty that you can get if bought at Amazon Warehouse is the Square Trade 1 Yr Open Box warranty.

There is a list of Authorized US retailers on Onkyo.com.
post #5375 of 5809
I bought mine on the 2nd when they were $427 used at Amazon Warehouse. Is the Square Trade Open Box warranty different from the normal square trade warranty on ST's front page? I only see 2 and 3 yr.
post #5376 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

I bought mine on the 2nd when they were $427 used at Amazon Warehouse. Is the Square Trade Open Box warranty different from the normal square trade warranty on ST's front page? I only see 2 and 3 yr.

From my research, the only SQ warranty that would be acceptable for "used" items from Amazon Warehouse is the 1 yr SQ "Openbox" warranty available only on Amazon (not even on the SQ website). All other warranties appear to exclude used items. The one exception is items bought on Ebay. I'm guessing Amazon and Ebay negotiated with SQ for special warranties for items sold via their channels.
post #5377 of 5809
Hi all I have been searching this threed for a fers now and still can't find if this onkyo txnr809 is 135 watts all channels driven I found on about.com that it does do 135 watts x7 but then go on to say 135w 2chanels driven so I wanna know what's what can it really do 135w all channels driven? Thanks would really like to know cuz I own one
post #5378 of 5809
Hi all I have been searching this threed for a fers now and still can't find if this onkyo txnr809 is 135 watts all channels driven I found on about.com that it does do 135 watts x7 but then go on to say 135w 2chanels driven so I wanna know what's what can it really do 135w all channels driven? Thanks would really like to know cuz I own one
post #5379 of 5809
135W is with 2 channels driven (20Hz-20kHz 8ohm)
post #5380 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

135W is with 2 channels driven (20Hz-20kHz 8ohm)
so how many watts for all channels driven then does anyone know
post #5381 of 5809
Onkyo 809 is capable of streaming HD video and audio from a HTPC right?
post #5382 of 5809
Its bigger brother (1009) did very well in Home Theater magazine testing..

179.5W/CH @ 2 channels driven into 8 Ohms, 1% THD
250.4W/CH @ 2 channles driven into 4 Ohms, 1% THD
131.2W/CH @ 5 channels driven into 8 Ohms, 1% THD

Since both were THX certified 809 (Select 2) and 1009 (Ultra 2), their specs tend to be realistic not stretched like much of the competition....

Just my $0.02.. 👍😉
post #5383 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Onkyo 809 is capable of streaming HD video and audio from a HTPC right?

If you mean Stream the files in a Server/client relationship, no.

If you mean play the files from your HTPC through HDMI into the AVR, then yes.
post #5384 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Onkyo 809 is capable of streaming HD video and audio from a HTPC right?

It can only stream audio, not video.
post #5385 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Its bigger brother (1009) did very well in Home Theater magazine testing..

179.5W/CH @ 2 channels driven into 8 Ohms, 1% THD
250.4W/CH @ 2 channles driven into 4 Ohms, 1% THD
131.2W/CH @ 5 channels driven into 8 Ohms, 1% THD

Since both were THX certified 809 (Select 2) and 1009 (Ultra 2), their specs tend to be realistic not stretched like much of the competition....

Just my $0.02.. 👍😉
but geekbeattv a youtube channel also states that the 809 does do 135x7 the stats are all over the place and I would really like difinitive proof on this subject so if u have any links to the info would be great. Thanks
post #5386 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan82 View Post

so how many watts for all channels driven then does anyone know

I would say 100 at best.
post #5387 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

to get onkyo's extended warranty yes. here is a list of authorized on line retailers.

you may be able to get aftermarket warranties - squaretrade for example if you purchased from a non-authorized dealer.


To get any warranty from Onkyo the unit must come from an authorized dealer....even the standard 2 year the unit comes with.
post #5388 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

I planned on using iRule with my Kindle Fire HD, iRule should be able to control the 809 through the tablet correct?
With my setup, I should be able to have the 809 connected via cat6 ethernet cable to my network, will this improve the DLNA capabilities?


the 809 only supports cat5 speeds, no harm in using cat6 I do.

It is better then using Wifi
post #5389 of 5809
wow that's a bummer I did not know that:( it's still fast thought right?
post #5390 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan82 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

135W is with 2 channels driven (20Hz-20kHz 8ohm)
so how many watts for all channels driven then does anyone know

the integra 50.2 which is the intrega version of the 809 did really good in Home Theater magazine testing testing:

HT Labs Measures

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 110.8 watts
1% distortion at 134.1 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 107.5 watts
1% distortion at 127.7 watts

the 809 is likely identical or very very close.
post #5391 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

wow that's a bummer I did not know that:( it's still fast thought right?
Fast is a relative term.

Cat5 is 100mbps, Cat 6 is up to 1000mbps.

When everything the 809 does is slower than Cat5 speeds, then it is fast enough.

Eg Mp3 streaming is 320kbps, Flac is ~1.2Mbps.
post #5392 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

Fast is a relative term.

Cat5 is 100mbps, Cat 6 is up to 1000mbps.

When everything the 809 does is slower than Cat5 speeds, then it is fast enough.

Eg Mp3 streaming is 320kbps, Flac is ~1.2Mbps.

Exactly, great point, CAT6 is overkill for this but if you're setting it up in your viewing room, why won't
post #5393 of 5809
If I pause a show using my Charter DVR, sometimes I lose sound but not video when I resume play. Turning the receiver off and on will fix it. Is this an early warning of an impending HDMI board failure?

BTW: Has anyone purchased and installed an HDMI board on their own? How difficult is it?
post #5394 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

If I pause a show using my Charter DVR, sometimes I lose sound but not video when I resume play. Turning the receiver off and on will fix it. Is this an early warning of an impending HDMI board failure?

BTW: Has anyone purchased and installed an HDMI board on their own? How difficult is it?


They are not difficult to install if you have been around pcb boards.
post #5395 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

If I pause a show using my Charter DVR, sometimes I lose sound but not video when I resume play. Turning the receiver off and on will fix it. Is this an early warning of an impending HDMI board failure?

BTW: Has anyone purchased and installed an HDMI board on their own? How difficult is it?



More then likely the issue is the DVR
post #5396 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

If I pause a show using my Charter DVR, sometimes I lose sound but not video when I resume play. Turning the receiver off and on will fix it. Is this an early warning of an impending HDMI board failure?

Yes, I believe it is. Mine started that way. Also happened when switching channels or from OnDemand back to a channel. Now I have no sound at all. I am still under warranty, so I will be calling Onkyo.
post #5397 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.m. View Post

Yes, I believe it is. Mine started that way. Also happened when switching channels or from OnDemand back to a channel. Now I have no sound at all. I am still under warranty, so I will be calling Onkyo.

When you call Onkyo they will tell you to do a factory reset, do 2 of them before you call and also unplug your dvr for 5 minutes.
post #5398 of 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

38hz is hardly full range. My monitor 70s can hit 38hz in my room fairly well. If it sounds good to you though that is cool, though I am not sure why you would want to crank the lfe down. The LFE channel is specifically the .1 mix in a multichannel mix. Now if your talking about running a lower crossover then 80hz, that works...many people run lower then the recommended 80hz for a variety of reasons. Also consider that your mains may not always be in the best location for smoothest/best frequency response at the listening position for bass frequencies. If your set up sounds good to you then run it that way, no real right or wrong way to set up gear, just guidelines that you can tweak from.

Yup, I was saying crank the crossover frequency down on the receiver's LFE channel. Instead of 120hz, drop it down lower like 50hz or 60hz since my main speakers can handle down to 38Hz. I'd have to look at the drop-off for my speakers on the low frequencies to pick a good crossover point. Wherever it starts dropping off, set the crossover frequency there?
post #5399 of 5809
Just curious, how many owners of the 809 run 7.1 in standard 2 back surrounds, or 2 FW or 2 FH? I recently changed from 2 back surround to 2 FW with audyssey DSX. I did add a Crown XLS 1500 to run the front L&R and the sound stage and dynamic range is the best I had so far. Adding the Crown really helps although my speakers are relatively efficient, Klipsch. I have the SVS sub so Onkyo amp was not needed here.
post #5400 of 5809
I've ran wides of my 809 and really like what dsx does for the front soundstage....I think audyssey recommends wides before heights and rears.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread