or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 190

post #5671 of 5812
That's what they told me also and after 4 weeks and sending all the info in that they told me they needed 2 times by email and 2 times by fax and still no return RMA or anything. mad.gif
post #5672 of 5812

Hello....well I am back :eek:

 

My "theater room" is finally complete and I moved everything back in, fired up the good old 809, re-ran the setup and I can't figure out what I've done wrong.

 

Ok, to further explain....running 3 subs (all gain matched) with front wide's as well.  Matching LRC with surrounds.

 

Know enough about Audyssey  and I think I did the full (8 test) correct, using a tripod of course.

 

The issue is that my overall volume is just way low...for example I have to run close to -10 (0 being "reference") to even be able to hear the movies.

 

I am not sure if I missed something obvious or perhaps the basic settings I've screwed something up.

 

Tried reading this thread but got lost...I have Dolby Volume, Dynamic Volume, Late Night, etc. all off.

 

Then Dynamic EQ needs to be on I think.

 

Sorry if this is gray, just lost and trying to figure out where to start...man it stinks forgetting all this stuff.

post #5673 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post
 

Hello....well I am back :eek:

 

The issue is that my overall volume is just way low...for example I have to run close to -10 (0 being "reference") to even be able to hear the movies.

 

Then Dynamic EQ needs to be on I think.

I would try turning on Dynamic EQ with Dynamic Volume to Light and then set Intellivolume to +2dB (or higher). If that still doesn't help, you might want to double check speaker calibration level using SPL meter to make sure that each speaker is 75dB at listening position....


Edited by blurayalltheway - 12/31/13 at 10:25am
post #5674 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

That's what they told me also and after 4 weeks and sending all the info in that they told me they needed 2 times by email and 2 times by fax and still no return RMA or anything. mad.gif

I'm not sure why it took you 4 weeks to communicate with them. It took me a total of two weeks to communicate with Onkyo rep and get my out of warranty Onkyo receiver fixed for free in two weeks. I have to send it to another state for repair too. Good luck!

post #5675 of 5812
I'm not sure why either I talk to them they told me what I needed to email or fax them so I've done all that several times. I've been a long time Onkyo owner but after this I will only keep this as a backup if it ever gets fixed. I bought a Pioneer 1223 it has worked great so far.
post #5676 of 5812
i don't think what i want to do is possible, but after reading the manual i didn't get a definite answer.

is it possible using the two hdmi outputs to ouput two different sources at the same time? for instance hdmi ouputs cbl/sat and sub hdmi outputs blu ray?

i think both hdmi ouputs can only ouput the same source at once which does me no good on multiple displays but i wanted to make certain before deciding how i'm going to run this fifty foot hdmi cable.
post #5677 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Hello....well I am back eek.gif

My "theater room" is finally complete and I moved everything back in, fired up the good old 809, re-ran the setup and I can't figure out what I've done wrong.

Ok, to further explain....running 3 subs (all gain matched) with front wide's as well.  Matching LRC with surrounds.

Know enough about Audyssey  and I think I did the full (8 test) correct, using a tripod of course.

The issue is that my overall volume is just way low...for example I have to run close to -10 (0 being "reference") to even be able to hear the movies.

I am not sure if I missed something obvious or perhaps the basic settings I've screwed something up.

Tried reading this thread but got lost...I have Dolby Volume, Dynamic Volume, Late Night, etc. all off.

Then Dynamic EQ needs to be on I think.

Sorry if this is gray, just lost and trying to figure out where to start...man it stinks forgetting all this stuff.

I've been changing things around in my listening area...added a thick 6x7 rug to reduce reflections, moved the couch and some chairs, etc and have re-run Audyssey multiple times. I too ran in to the low volume issue.

Went in to the speaker setup and found Audyssey had had set my speakers at minus 8db, -5.5db,-7db, etc. Very strange.

So what I did was raise them all as close to zero DB as possible, while leaving the actual difference between the speakers alone. So if Audyssey had a 3DB difference between my front left surround and right front (lets say it was -7.5db and -4.5db) I changed it to -3.5db and -.5db.

In other words, I left the Audyssey corrections alone, but raised the over all volume considerably. Make sense to you?

Pete
post #5678 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD View Post


I've been changing things around in my listening area...added a thick 6x7 rug to reduce reflections, moved the couch and some chairs, etc and have re-run Audyssey multiple times. I too ran in to the low volume issue.

Went in to the speaker setup and found Audyssey had had set my speakers at minus 8db, -5.5db,-7db, etc. Very strange.

So what I did was raise them all as close to zero DB as possible, while leaving the actual difference between the speakers alone. So if Audyssey had a 3DB difference between my front left surround and right front (lets say it was -7.5db and -4.5db) I changed it to -3.5db and -.5db.

In other words, I left the Audyssey corrections alone, but raised the over all volume considerably. Make sense to you?

Pete

Yep makes total sense...I will dig into those settings and see what I come up with.  Including testing the levels manually...will post what I find.

 

Thanks guys!

 

I did what the

post #5679 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD View Post

Went in to the speaker setup and found Audyssey had had set my speakers at minus 8db, -5.5db,-7db, etc. Very strange.

So what I did was raise them all as close to zero DB as possible, while leaving the actual difference between the speakers alone. So if Audyssey had a 3DB difference between my front left surround and right front (lets say it was -7.5db and -4.5db) I changed it to -3.5db and -.5db.

In other words, I left the Audyssey corrections alone, but raised the over all volume considerably. Make sense to you?

Pete

Using Intellivolume as I suggested in post #5673 would be easier route to achieve the same thing as what you did. The right thing to do might be to re-check the speaker calibration level with SPL meter to make sure that each speaker is 75dB at listening position. If it is not, you can manually adjust it to the correct level or re-run the Audyssey again....


Edited by blurayalltheway - 1/2/14 at 7:52am
post #5680 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayalltheway View Post

Using Intellivolume as I suggested in post #5673 would be easier route to achieve the same thing as what you did. The right thing to do might be to re-check the speaker calibration level with SPL meter to make sure that each speaker is 75dB at listening position. If it is not, you can manually adjust it to the correct level or re-run the Audyssey again....

You know, I used to have one of those ( back in the Pleistocene era smile.gif) and I think its high time I went out and replaced it, thanks for bringing it up.
post #5681 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

I'm not sure why either I talk to them they told me what I needed to email or fax them so I've done all that several times. I've been a long time Onkyo owner but after this I will only keep this as a backup if it ever gets fixed. I bought a Pioneer 1223 it has worked great so far.

Try emailing this guy... jose.torres@us.onkyo.com
post #5682 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayneogeo View Post

I have had my 809 for a few weeks and it has been great. It took a few days to go through all the options and understand all the modes, but it has had no issues and seems to provide great sound.

First some observations:

It gets very warm quickly. I have mine on the very top of my AV rack so it can vent directly without anything to impede the heat coming off the top of the unit. I cannot imagine having this inside a cabinet or contained in any way, it just gets way too warm.

There are an insane amount of playback modes and customization features. You can program pretty much any input to any output, as well as set each input with independant settings for sound/picture/etc

You can wire it up for 7.2 High, 7.2 Wide, and 7.2 back and switch between them, but it will not preout/process more than 7.2, even with an external amp.

The HDMI video overlay menu is well laid out and pretty easy to understand.

The 1080P upconversion is very fast and I notice very little lag when switching channels on my comcast hdmi cable box, even when going from SD to HD.


Now my questions for the more experienced:

I am having a hard time understanding if any tweaking of the video output via the receiver is a good idea. This model supports ISF calibration, which means there are tons of options to tweak the picture, but since I also have plenty of tweaking options on my projector ( JVC DLA-RS1 ), I am trying to understand why I would want to tweak on the receiver, and if I do, what settings should I use on the projector. This confuses me, and any guidance would be appreciated. The receiver does support a "direct" mode, where it just passes the video untouched.

The other thing that confuses me is the sound modes. My old receiver would just switch to whatever mode the incoming sound was in, while with this receiver it seems you pick a mode ( say DOLBY DTS ), and it takes the incoming sound and converts it to that mode. What is the guideline on this, as I am always afraid I am going to miss the true sound mode of whatever I am watching, and I am not sure if the conversion has a negative impact on the sound output. Again, any help would be appreciated.

In summary, this receiver with the JVC-RS1 seems to be a good choice so far, and barring any issues, I am happy with my purchase (bought at newegg during the last super sale).

Thanks,

Chris


I know this is a old post.  I called Onkyo a week ago and they said you can run 9.2 if you get a external amp, the speakers that will work are the center, L/R front, front wides, surrounds and surround back.  The external amp will have to run your surround back.  If you hook up highs then the wides and back wont have output signal, if you bi amp the towers you can only have wides, no high or back.   That is what I got from the rep.  I have a 809 and wanted to run 9.2 but I'm holding back on buying a amp, might buy a pioneer elite sc79 sometime. 

post #5683 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully141 View Post
 

 if you bi amp the towers you can only have wides, no high or back. 

I like these options, because I'm connecting it to the center, L/R's, wides and surrounds now. When I have time, I'll make bi-amp cable for the L/R speakers.....

post #5684 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayalltheway View Post
 

I like these options, because I'm connecting it to the center, L/R's, wides and surrounds now. When I have time, I'll make bi-amp cable for the L/R speakers.....


You might want to call onkyo just in case I misunderstood the rep about bi amping. 

post #5685 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully141 View Post
 


You might want to call onkyo just in case I misunderstood the rep about bi amping. 

I was happy at first. I'll email Onkyo to find out for sure. It might not work, because I found the note below in page #13 of the manual. It doesn't say anything about bi-amp in that page though....

 

*2 Front high, surround back and front wide speakers cannot be
used at the same time.

post #5686 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayalltheway View Post
 

I was happy at first. I'll email Onkyo to find out for sure. It might not work, because I found the note below in page #13 of the manual. It doesn't say anything about bi-amp in that page though....

 

*2 Front high, surround back and front wide speakers cannot be
used at the same time.

 

When I called onkyo, my main intention was to get 9.1.  To get 9.1 I could not run front highs at all, because front high will eliminate surround  back.  Onkyo rep  went into bi-amp and I would be reduced to 5.1 but said I could use a external amp; he wasn't real clear about it tho.   I figured the more speakers the better.  I hooked up my klipsch vf36 bi-amped and didn't really notice a difference.  Sorry if I am wrong with the bi-amp part.  I also called pioneer about their elite sc79 and they said if I would bi-amp their stuff I would be reduced down to 7.2 and a external amp would not enable me to run 9.2 with bi-amp.  Every receiver is different. 

post #5687 of 5812
Would I be able to hook up a headphone amp to this receiver in a way that would allow me to utilize the headphone amp for all the inputs?

The amp is a Little Dot MK III.
post #5688 of 5812
It has a headphone jack on the front panel.

Connect a pair of stereo headphones with a
standard plug (1/4 inch or 6.3 mm) to the
PHONES jack.
Note
• Always turn down the volume before connecting your
headphones.
• While the headphones plug is inserted in the PHONES
jack, the speakers are turned off. (The Powered Zone 2
speakers are not turned off.)
• When you connect a pair of headphones, the listening mode
is set to Stereo, unless it’s already set to Stereo, Mono,
Direct, or Pure Audio.
• If you connect an iPod or iPhone to the USB port on this
device, no sound will be output from the headphones jack
post #5689 of 5812
I know it has a headphone jack, but I'm talking about a headphone amp, not the headphones themselves.

So what I'm saying is would there be a way for me to "add" the headphone amp into the chain where I would be able to, for example, play a game through the TV using headphones and the headphone amp working at the same time? Or listen to music through my PC that's hooked up to the receiver?

The headphone amp has 2 RCA pairings, 1 out and 1 in. Is there any output on the NR809 that I could run in to the headphone amp that would be a "universal" input that also allows me to use the TV at the same time?

From what I've read on other forums, it seems as if a lot of people accomplished this in the past by using the "Tape Out" functionality of a receiver to send out from the Tape Out and in to the amp in, and that seemed to work. The NR809 has a VCR/DVR Out and I'm wondering if that will accomplish the same thing.
Edited by mva5580 - 1/7/14 at 2:49pm
post #5690 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post

I know it has a headphone jack, but I'm talking about a headphone amp, not the headphones themselves.

So what I'm saying is would there be a way for me to "add" the headphone amp into the chain where I would be able to, for example, play a game through the TV using headphones and the headphone amp working at the same time? Or listen to music through my PC that's hooked up to the receiver?

The headphone amp has 2 RCA pairings, 1 out and 1 in. Is there any output on the NR809 that I could run in to the headphone amp that would be a "universal" input that also allows me to use the TV at the same time?

From what I've read on other forums, it seems as if a lot of people accomplished this in the past by using the "Tape Out" functionality of a receiver to send out from the Tape Out and in to the amp in, and that seemed to work. The NR809 has a VCR/DVR Out and I'm wondering if that will accomplish the same thing.

I don't know if it would be enough for you, but the receiver has headphone DB boost capability. I'm unsure just how much you can boost it though..
post #5691 of 5812
Anyone experience sudden loss of network connectivity?
post #5692 of 5812
Did you happen to just update to the ...8 software?

I did and had to reset my network settings disabling DHCP.

Could also be time to reset your router. Personally, I'd try that first then check the rest.

Doug k
post #5693 of 5812
Hi all -

I recently added a second sub and, for some reason, the LFE output isn't reaching it. It acts as if the second sub out is being shutdown because the primary is still sending LFE output to the other sub. I tested this by switching which connection was used for which sub and the issue follows the port. I wasn't able to identify any of the settings that would account for it and LFE output goes to the secondary port if I adjust the level calibration. It eventually puts the sub back to sleep, though because of lack of LFE signal.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
post #5694 of 5812
Just connect a "Y" splitter cable to the one port that works.
post #5695 of 5812
jdsmoothie -

That would address the issue, of course, but shouldn't they both work? The part that doesn't make any sense is why they both work as expected when the calibration is running, but one stops when watching a movie. The movie I was watching last night didn't have a LOT of bass (Signs DVD), but there were pieces of music that should have had greater bass and did if I woke up the primary sub and replayed the scene.
post #5696 of 5812
Howdy, Folks!

I have been since I got the 809 a bit disappointed that there is no Optical Output on it. I previously had a Yamaha RX-V2600 (which did) and had my Turtle Beach Gaming headset connected to this port, thus allowing me to listen to ANY source the AVR handled via the headset.

So I am about to upgrade my headset to a newer version that will service the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One... And I face the same issue - The new headset also wants DD over Optical! I have tried to settle for stereo out (via pre outs) but I couldn't even get THAT out of the 809 (not preferred anyway).

So I have been looking for options. I thought perhaps I could use HDMI Out #2 (monitor) and get a device that converts the digital audio from the HDMI to a DD optical output, but all I find is HDMI to Optical as 2 Channel Stereo...

Can someone chime in and give me some ideas as to how to solve this issue?

I need this sorta thing, I think;
http://www.amazon.com/Octava-1x1-Converter-optical-toslink-Emulator/dp/B009AZT1E2

*EDIT: I see a few others that would fit the bill, but alternative ideas still welcomed!
Edited by bigbrain28 - 1/10/14 at 9:52am
post #5697 of 5812
I was under the impression that the 2 sub ports on the unit were actually not discrete, but merely a split port to two connections... I also have 2 subs, one Klipsch Sub12 in the primary and one Velodyne Wireless in the secondary and both work.

" It acts as if the second sub out is being shutdown because the primary is still sending LFE output to the other sub."

Should we take this comment to indicate that you have them daisy chained - one feeding #2? Or am i just reading that wrong? If you have 2 subs each plugged into there own sub port they should both get the same signal always.
post #5698 of 5812
BigBrain -

sorry, I wasn't clear. What I should have said was that it acts as if the receiver is shutting down the second subwoofer output because the primary subwoofer output is still sending LFE signal to the primary subwoofer.

This begs another question: is an LFE signal (sans audio) sent to the subwoofers whenever the receiver is put into a 5.1 output mode, or is the LFE signal only sent when there's something for the subwoofer to play? It would seem that if you didn't have an LFE "carrier signal" in place, the sub could potentially go to sleep and then have to wake up mid movie. I'd expect that to cause missed LFE effects. I'm not sure how long the subwoofers stay in active mode between signals...any idea? I'd expect this would be Brand/model specific, further complicating things.
post #5699 of 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcMahon View Post

BigBrain -

sorry, I wasn't clear. What I should have said was that it acts as if the receiver is shutting down the second subwoofer output because the primary subwoofer output is still sending LFE signal to the primary subwoofer.

This begs another question: is an LFE signal (sans audio) sent to the subwoofers whenever the receiver is put into a 5.1 output mode, or is the LFE signal only sent when there's something for the subwoofer to play? It would seem that if you didn't have an LFE "carrier signal" in place, the sub could potentially go to sleep and then have to wake up mid movie. I'd expect that to cause missed LFE effects. I'm not sure how long the subwoofers stay in active mode between signals...any idea? I'd expect this would be Brand/model specific, further complicating things.

From the user manual, page 14; (PDF HERE)
"You can connect the powered subwoofer with two
SUBWOOFER PRE OUTjacks respectively.
The same signal is output from each jack."

I have mine set to BOTH lfe and bass because not all sources have an LFE, but all sources have bass frequencies, to avoid the issue you describe. Normally a sub will stay on (once awakened) for anywhere from 15min to 2hrs before auto shut-off (consult your specific sub's manual).

If I had to guess, your 2nd sub is not waking or staying awake. Try setting Sub-out to another setting (See page 48)
post #5700 of 5812
BigBrain -

what setting did you change for "both lfe and bass"? Or are you referring to placing a y on the inputs on the subwoofer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread