or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › Apartment Theater 2.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apartment Theater 2.0

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
EDIT: Added a video (Post #32 or bottom of this one).

Took me 3 years to update all my components and finally finished today by adding the Outlaw LFM1-EX (which I might add is a ridiculous sub woofer).

Anyways here's my specs...

HOME THEATER ROOM
TV: LG 55" 120Hz LD520

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR807
Front: Klipsch RB-61
Center: Klipsch RC-52
Surround: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800
Subwoofer: Outlaw LFM1-EX

Remote: Gyration, (RF) and iPhone (over Wifi)

Headphone Setup
DAC/AMP: Audio-GD FUN
Headphones: Denon AH-D7000 & Grado SR-80

Sources:
2 Home Theater PC (1 Home Theater Room, one Bedroom)
Approx 8-10TB of storage


















SYSTEM IN ACTION
post #2 of 41
Love the Denon headphones. Any plan on doing wire management of the rears? Run tract underneath them maybe? Clean the rear wires runs a bit and you'll have an even better looking system than it already is. I always welcome Klipsch fans to the forum.
post #3 of 41
I hope those plants above your head are nailed down considering the sub you just picked up. lol
post #4 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Love the Denon headphones. Any plan on doing wire management of the rears? Run tract underneath them maybe? Clean the rear wires runs a bit and you'll have an even better looking system than it already is. I always welcome Klipsch fans to the forum.

Those Denon's are epic. I enjoy those sometimes more than the 5.1 setup.

I just installed those rear speakers this week...before I had some old speakers on stands and they hid the wires nicely. This is an apartment so I really have no where else to put the wires right now for the rears (although I'm open to suggestions). Like I said it's an apartment so I can't just bury them behind the wall. You can see they are hidden under the baseboard the entire way along that far wall (including the sub cable) so I hid about 99% of the wiring coming from the receiver near the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I hope those plants above your head are nailed down considering the sub you just picked up. lol

nope they aren't...LOL. Good point I'll have to keep an eye on them...
post #5 of 41
Nice Setup!
post #6 of 41
It is unfortunate you can't put in a tilting wall mount in an apartment, well...you can't if you want your deposit back...
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

Those Denon's are epic. I enjoy those sometimes more than the 5.1 setup.

I just installed those rear speakers this week...before I had some old speakers on stands and they hid the wires nicely. This is an apartment so I really have no where else to put the wires right now for the rears (although I'm open to suggestions). Like I said it's an apartment so I can't just bury them behind the wall. You can see they are hidden under the baseboard the entire way along that far wall (including the sub cable) so I hid about 99% of the wiring coming from the receiver near the TV.


Nice set-up. You can still use speaker stands, putting them at the two sides of the sofa, can't you? In fact, it is better to have the rear speakers at the two sides rather than on the back wall.
post #8 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qiong View Post

Nice set-up. You can still use speaker stands, putting them at the two sides of the sofa, can't you? In fact, it is better to have the rear speakers at the two sides rather than on the back wall.

Well here's those new surrounds I picked up on my old stands. They just looked awkward on it. I used to have side firing on both sides. Second problem is that LFM-1 EX is huge in the corner. I'd be tight on space putting it there. I'm open to suggestions tho!

post #9 of 41
Before ditching the stands, I would have picked up bigger speakers...
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

Well here's those new surrounds I picked up on my old stands. They just looked awkward on it. I used to have side firing on both sides. Second problem is that LFM-1 EX is huge in the corner. I'd be tight on space putting it there. I'm open to suggestions tho!


They look good to me.
post #11 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

Before ditching the stands, I would have picked up bigger speakers...

like what speaker?

I don't want to spend much on surround speakers...the Def Tech's at $290 was more than I wanted to spend on them to begin with. They sound good for the size. Plus they typically just give ambient sounds for my 5.1 movie playback I got my money all in the sub and front speakers.

My music playback I default to a 2.1 setup as I prefer my sound as unedited as possible.
post #12 of 41
Nice setup Nosferatu, what's the software that you are running on your HTPC?
post #13 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef Lover View Post

Nice setup Nosferatu, what's the software that you are running on your HTPC?

http://xbmc.org/

Transparency! Skin
http://xbmc.org/skins/transparency/



Pictures don't do it justice it works best in action. Mediaportal is another alternative although I prefer XBMC.

It automatically alters the refresh rate when I load a video to match frame rate so when I watch my movies it drops to 24Hz and it's silky smooth jutter free.
post #14 of 41
Looking good! I love those outlaw subs for endtables with the built in top surface. I agree with others on the side surrounds. Walshart has some small stands that are height adjustable to hang speakers on that would work if they still carry them. Also a guy I know had two lights on each side of his couch like you have in the corner and some small surrounds. We used a press drill and drilled two holes ~1.5 ft above ear level and used one for a mounting screw and the other ran speaker wire down through light poll, it worked out good in his case.
post #15 of 41
I really liked those Denon cans until I looked them up. The price is pretty epic. LOL

I understand that these are top of the line but how much better are they then the D2000? It would seem to me that as with speakers there would be some point of diminishing returns.

I've been looking at headphones for a while but there a ton of choices!
post #16 of 41
Thread Starter 
nothing goes on this "table" though.

I decided to take the surrounds off the wall for now. It hides the wires but I think my old stands make them look goofy as they were made for larger speakers.

Anyone else think the same...???

post #17 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I really liked those Denon cans until I looked them up. The price is pretty epic. LOL

I understand that these are top of the line but how much better are they then the D2000? It would seem to me that as with speakers there would be some point of diminishing returns.

I've been looking at headphones for a while but there a ton of choices!

HAHA yup the D7000 are expensive. J&R for a while you were able to phone in an order and get them for a lot less (e.g. $600-650 instead of $999). Apparently they won't budge now off at best $80.

I've listened to thee D2000. It gives you an idea what the Denon signature is like but to me the bass is boomy / bloated on the D2000. The D7000 it's just authoritative.

Let me know what you're looking for I can point you in the right direction for headphones if ya want. Headfi.org is a great source for information as well. I'm there under a similar screen name.

EDIT: I usually don't write reviews of stuff on forums but here's what I had to say about the d7000. Scroll down to a review in Jan 2011.

http://www.jr.com/denon/pe/DNN_AHD70...ductTabReviews
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

nothing goes on this "table" though.

I decided to take the surrounds off the wall for now. It hides the wires but I think my old stands make them look goofy as they were made for larger speakers.

Anyone else think the same...???


That looks a million times better and definitely should sound better as well. Nice job.
post #19 of 41
Thread Starter 
I agree it sounds better. It's starting to grow on me. Now I gotta patch up my screw holes in the wall...yay.
post #20 of 41
Good job. Looks fantastic.
post #21 of 41
If it was me I would hang the speakers on the wall again and punch a 1/2 or so hole in the drywall down at the baseboard and one behind the speaker on the wall and fish the wire. If and when you leave it's really no different than holes for hanging things. Just hit them with spackle.

Heck when I hung my 65" plasma I didn't think about the signal cables so all I did was punch a hole in the drywall behind my AV cabinet and another up behind the plasma and fished. Who cares? You don't see it ever.
post #22 of 41
Uh oh,you must have a waf. I see plants. ;P
post #23 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 View Post
Uh oh,you must have a waf. I see plants. ;P
nope bachelor pad

Do you think a WAF would approve of the Outlaw LFM1-EX
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 View Post
Uh oh,you must have a waf. I see plants. ;P
No, the WAF would have made him put the plants on the speakers and put knick knacks and other assorted crap all over his equipment so she could have friends over and not be so embarassed. What he did was tasteful.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

If it was me I would hang the speakers on the wall again and punch a 1/2 or so hole in the drywall down at the baseboard and one behind the speaker on the wall and fish the wire. If and when you leave it's really no different than holes for hanging things. Just hit them with spackle.

Heck when I hung my 65" plasma I didn't think about the signal cables so all I did was punch a hole in the drywall behind my AV cabinet and another up behind the plasma and fished. Who cares? You don't see it ever.

I disagree as though it may have a cleaner look, it will be detrimental to the sound quality. 5.1 calls for side surrounds as opposed to rear surrounds and after doing experimenting of my own, it is a lot better sounding set up correctly. Once he gets audyssey re-run after now lowering the sub gain and getting the surrounds in their proper orientation, it will be great apartment audio. Good Job Nosferatu!
post #26 of 41
Thread Starter 
I decided to move the Outlaw LFM-1 EX to the front of the sound stage. Not only does it sound better but it's not hurting my left ear (it was sitting on the left side of the couch).

Pardon the wires I just snapped it with half of my drum kit still hooked up.

post #27 of 41
sweet setup! I'm especially jealous of the headphone setup.

Is that a Auralex Sub Dude under your sub? I too am in an apartment, and have been considering adding a sub; I would also most likely get a sub dude seeing as I've got neighbors above/below/side. any thoughts on its "performance"? does it keep the entire place from shaking during heavy bass?
post #28 of 41
Nice set up. Mine is very similar.

How tall are your stands for your front left and right surrounds? Where did you run your speaker wire for the rear surrounds?
post #29 of 41
I like this set up! I see you moved the ex to the front of the room? Do you prefer it there?
Always good to see another ex owner!
post #30 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post

sweet setup! I'm especially jealous of the headphone setup.

Is that a Auralex Sub Dude under your sub? I too am in an apartment, and have been considering adding a sub; I would also most likely get a sub dude seeing as I've got neighbors above/below/side. any thoughts on its "performance"? does it keep the entire place from shaking during heavy bass?

I've since updated the headphone setup to include the Sennheiser HD600 along with the Denon AH-D7000. See picture below.

It's the Gramma not the Subdue but basically the same thing. Performance wise I can only comment on my old sub I used it on for 2 or 3 days until the EX arrived. It made a monumental difference in sound for my old one. The Outlaw never was used on anything but the Auralex.


Here's my other audio setup.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › Apartment Theater 2.0