or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Moneyball - starring Brad Pitt and co-written by Aaron Sorkin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moneyball - starring Brad Pitt and co-written by Aaron Sorkin

post #1 of 63
Thread Starter 
Based on the best-selling novel by Michael Lewis; directed by Bennett Miller, and also starring Jonah Hill, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Robin Wright.

The story of Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane's successful attempt to put together a baseball club on a budget by employing computer-generated analysis to draft his players.

post #2 of 63
Thread Starter 
I'm surprised there is no interest in this here.
post #3 of 63
Thread Starter 
Still shocked, really.

Reviews say -- just as The Social Network had little to do with Facebook itself -- this film has little to do with baseball itself, and is instead more about the narrative behind the story. But that it is riveting and well done.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/rev...-moneyball.php
post #4 of 63
Facebook touches hundreds of millions of people. The Oakland A's not so much.
post #5 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

Facebook touches hundreds of millions of people. The Oakland A's not so much.

True, but it's still Brad Pitt written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by Bennett Miller (Capote).
post #6 of 63
Pitt said going into the film, he knew very little about baseball. Guess if I was married to Jolie, sports would have a somewhat low priority in my life, too.
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

True, but it's still Brad Pitt written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by Bennett Miller (Capote).

If the subject matter doesn't interest people, no cast in the world can compensate. The Social Network didn't exactly star household names, but people are facinated by the politics and drama of something they use everyday.
post #8 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

If the subject matter doesn't interest people, no cast in the world can compensate. The Social Network didn't exactly star household names, but people are facinated by the politics and drama of something they use everyday.

I'm surprised why people on here don't seem to be looking forward to it. People on here would be intrigued by the names I mentioned.
post #9 of 63
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this one! :O

Here's my spoiler-free review:

http://www.yorkregion.com/what's...ut-selling-out

Let me know what you think...
post #10 of 63
I'm excited for it. Reviews are great. Sounds like The Social Network all over again i.e. something I had no interest in but great reviews pulled me in. That Sorkin's got the magic touch, I guess.
post #11 of 63
I like the cast...other than perusing this forum, I never heard of it. Why is that?
post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this one! :O

Here's my spoiler-free review:

http://www.yorkregion.com/what's...ut-selling-out

Let me know what you think...

I enjoyed your review, David. Thanks. It's on my list to see.
post #13 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I like the cast...other than perusing this forum, I never heard of it. Why is that?

It's been advertised and promoted a good bit on network TV this past week. You'll be hearing more.
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I enjoyed your review, David. Thanks. It's on my list to see.

Thank you Will. Let us know what you think whwen you see it.
post #15 of 63
Sorkin's dialogue is usually in a class of its own, and I'm waiting to hear if he's kept his touch in this production.
post #16 of 63
$19.5 million over the weekend and I hope it gets stronger. Maybe this one needs the award season to roll around for it to get more attention.
post #17 of 63
Saw and enjoyed it very much. Movies like this need to be made, so I hope word of mouth brings in the crowds.
post #18 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Thank you Will. Let us know what you think whwen you see it.

I saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I expected it to be good, but it was even better than I expected. I would give it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10. Although Brad Pitt was excellent, I think Jonah Hill delivered the perfect performance in this. As you mentioned in your review, the chemistry between the two of them was very strong.

I really like the theme of challenging conventional wisdom and how rapidly changing circumstances can mean, "adapt or die."

My favorite scene was near the very end, when Hill's character Peter convinces Billy to come to the video screening room. That was great.

"It's a metaphor."

--"I know it's a metaphor."
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I expected it to be good, but it was even better than I expected. I would give it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10. Although Brad Pitt was excellent, I think Jonah Hill delivered the perfect performance in this. As you mentioned in your review, the chemistry between the two of them was very strong.

I really like the theme of challenging conventional wisdom and how rapidly changing circumstances can mean, "adapt or die."

My favorite scene was near the very end, when Hill's character Peter convinces Billy to come to the video screening room. That was great.

"It's a metaphor."

--"I know it's a metaphor."

That's my favourite scene too! Had me in stitches.

My actual score is 9.2/10.
post #20 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

That's my favourite scene too! Had me in stitches.

My actual score is 9.2/10.

I have to admit I can't stop thinking about this film. I'm going to see it again this week with my 17-yr-old nephew. I suspect I may upgrade my rating. I'll let you know what he thinks of it too.
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I have to admit I can't stop thinking about this film.

+1...what a great film and another strong Brad Pitt performance.
post #22 of 63
An excellent film and if The Fighter and Warrior had not come out recently, I would give it the best sports related movie in a decade or so. Brad Pitt is an excellent actor! The movie was well written, well acted, and just engrossing. Even my wife loved it!
post #23 of 63
Caught this one last night with my wife at the $1 theater after reading this thread yesterday.

It didn't disappoint us. Great movie. Great performances. Seemed to drag just a bit at the end but still engaging.

Cary
post #24 of 63
Baseball fans must see this. Non-fans may not like it much. But it does offer a rare inside look into pro sports.
post #25 of 63
I am not a fan of baseball (nothing against baseball, I just don't watch sports. Don't hate them, just don't spend any time on it). My wife is even less of a sports-fan than I am.

That being said, we both really enjoyed the movie. I think it's a safe bet that most non-fans would still enjoy this.

Cary
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post


That being said, we both really enjoyed the movie. I think it's a safe bet that most non-fans would still enjoy this.

Cary

No doubt I will and I'm not a Baseball fan either, far from it. Like you I have nothing against it I just don't have much interest in it. Probably because in France where I grew up Baseball doesn't mean much. Ever since I watched the trailer a while ago I wanted to see it. If I'm not mistaken it had a somewhat limited run in theaters, but I'll buy the Bu-ray next week. Anything that involves Philip Seymour Hoffman is also worth watching imo.

Regarding the Social Network references above, it's funny cause I still haven't seen it, and I really don't want to, yet I'm a fan of Fincher. It was on TV some days ago so I saw a few scenes, I hate the characters, I have no sympathy for Eisenberg, I'm almost certain I will never enjoy that movie. Do I need to mention that I profoundly hate facebook too? And yes I know it's not 'a movie about facebook'... I just don't care about these people, whether it's in real life or in a movie... Anyways... Back to Moneyball, I'm also curious to see Hill's performance, apparently excellent as well. Up until now I was putting him in the same category as another Seth Rogen, sort of. From what I've read about the movie, I'm glad I was wrong.
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I'm also curious to see Hill's performance, apparently excellent as well.

Hill is awesome in this movie and his interaction with Brad Pitt worked very well.
post #28 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Anything that involves Philip Seymour Hoffman is also worth watching imo.

Agreed. He's got a small role in this one, but plays it perfectly.

Cary
post #29 of 63
Watched this last night. I liked it. Jonah Hill did a very good job. At the end the movie said the Red Sox won the 2004 world series using the same technique. They may have had run producers but it wasn't on a shoe string budget. Heck, 4 players made more than 10 million a year and just those alone totaled about 60 million. Damon only made 8 million that year.

larry
post #30 of 63
I'm no longer following baseball since the Mets from '86...

It's an excellent drama that rises above the sports of baseball, or any sports. It takes a lot of courage for Billy to defy conventional wisdom. I too enjoyed the exchange between Billy and Peter over the metaphor.

Highly rated if one enjoys drama over action. It's a different kind of romance.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Moneyball - starring Brad Pitt and co-written by Aaron Sorkin