or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Budget AV Receiver?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Budget AV Receiver?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm nowhere near an audiophile, but I do love and want good sound in my 22X12 living NYC living room. I'm looking for a receiver to replace old and now dead Denon DRA stereo receiver with easy connectivity to 3 y/o Samsung 40" LCD tv, IPod readiness and a bit of future-proofing.

I've been looking at Onkyo SR-TX309, Yamaha RX-V471, and Denon AVR 1612. I think the Onkyo 509 is more in the league with my Yamaha and Denon choices, but what's nice about the 309 is Ipod readiness at a ~$100 lower price point. thanks for any tips and input.
post #2 of 13
Denon avr-591 the model previous to the avr1612 can be had for $250 on amazon and you will not be able to get a better receiver than that at that price.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks crazyrob. I have no problem with last year's models, but it looks like the 591 requires purchase of dock for mp3 connectivity, which i'm so trying to avoid.
post #4 of 13
I am an Onkyo fan without a doubt but for the option that you listed maybe you might want to look into this as well...
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-10...453369&sr=1-14

Otherwise the 509 would work mas well

Good luck
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari13 View Post

Thanks crazyrob. I have no problem with last year's models, but it looks like the 591 requires purchase of dock for mp3 connectivity, which i'm so trying to avoid.

Denon AVR-1911 is a possibility with a USB hook up for iPod
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV19...11.html?tp=179

It won CNET's test to be the best sounding midrange receiver...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20017189-1.html
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Can I use the old speakers with the new AVRs till I'm ready to upgrade?

So its a Samsung 40" LCD HD TV, Panasonic Hard Drive DVR about 5 y/o, and Macbook Pro about a year old.

I would have loved to get a real cheap receiver for now, but I'm starting to covet new features like Ipod connection and internet radio. Does that probably put me in the $3-400 range at least?

Thanks again.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari13 View Post

Can I use the old speakers with the new AVRs till I'm ready to upgrade?

It depends on the speakers. If they are 6 or 8 ohms, then yes. If they're less than that, probably not.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

It depends on the speakers. If they are 6 or 8 ohms, then yes. If they're less than that, probably not.

Here http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2010/08/b-dm-310.html it says impedence 8 ohms. Good? Thanks so much.
post #9 of 13
Yes, you can use those speakers with the new AVR no problem. In fact you may like them... who knows.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...oneer-vsx1020k
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
I was just leaning toward Pioneer 820. Great price on Amazon and even Best Buy. Do you happen to know what I lose from the 1020 on the 820. (head spinning . . . )
post #11 of 13
With the 1020 you will get a few more features is all such as: Internet Radio, iPhone Remote App, 6 HDMi (.. as aposed to only 4HDMI's on the 820), 7.1 as to the 820 has 5.1, a better on-Screen Display or GUI as the 820 only has Text. If those features arnt a concern to you then the 820 will work just fine as it will save you a few dollars as well.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm a huge fan of local radio, but even here in NY choices are limited, so internet radio has started to sound like a feature I'd use much. Though could you do access it by connnecting computer, and letting computer pull sound from web?

I'm a bit acronym shy - GUI - ___ ___ Interface? I'm guessing it's the kind of thing I may not miss without it, until i have it . .
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari13 View Post

I'm a huge fan of local radio, but even here in NY choices are limited, so internet radio has started to sound like a feature I'd use much. Though could you do access it by connnecting computer, and letting computer pull sound from web?

I'm a bit acronym shy - GUI - ___ ___ Interface? I'm guessing it's the kind of thing I may not miss without it, until i have it . .

Graphical User Interface - "GUI"

IMO, you are correct, you don't "need' an a receiver that can pull internet radio on its own if you plan to hook a computer up to it anyway.

Of course by that same line of thought, you wouldn't need the iPod integration since you theoretically have the music on your computer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Budget AV Receiver?