or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › X-Rite's Revolutionary New Colorimeter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

X-Rite's Revolutionary New Colorimeter

post #1 of 1402
Thread Starter 
X-Rite has developed a new and I think ground-breaking colorimeter, the i1 Display Pro III, which most will probably refer to as simply the Display 3.

It is not simply an update to the Display 2. It is a completely different design with an unprecedented price/performance ratio.

For a full review and online demos, see the ChromaPure web site.

post #2 of 1402
Truly Amazing Performance For The Price! I Will Pre-Order it for sure!
post #3 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Truly Amazing Performance For The Price! I Will Pre-Order it for sure!

Out of curiosity, I see in your signature line that you already have a Chroma 5. Is the increase in read speed your reason for a new meter?
post #4 of 1402
Mainly, The Lower Light Reading & The Repeatabily @ Very Low Levels Is The Reason.

I Want To Set More Accurate The 1,2,3,4% Patterns For My Pioneer KURO Using AVFoundry VideoEQ PRO.

Using VideoEQ You Can Add Grayscale Control Points With RGB Control Whenever You Like. 0.5% (RGB Level 17), 1% (RGB Level 18)...etc...Anywhere You Can Control.

Setting Correct the Levels Of Grayscale 1-5% (Not Only To Be Visible Using Reference Brightness Patterns But Setting The Correct Luminance For Each Step Of These Levels, Then You Will Have An Image With Greater Depth.
post #5 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Mainly, The Lower Light Reading & The Repeatabily @ Very Low Levels Is The Reason. I Want To Set More Accurate The 1,2,3,4% Patterns For My Pioneer KURO Using AVFoundry VideoEQ PRO.

Ah. Makes sense.

"The Chroma 5 is rated down to 0.01 cd/m2 and this seems about right. However, the Display 3 will read light that is one-third as bright."
post #6 of 1402
With My KURO, I'm using Chroma 5 @ CRT Mode Only. I Have By Far Greater Repeatability @ Luminence Readings Using This Mode, More Stable.

Chroma 5 Reads 0.025-1000 cd/m2 Using CRT Mode.
post #7 of 1402
Sounds sweet! Thanks Tom.
post #8 of 1402
post #9 of 1402
How does it behave on WCG displays? Does it need unique correction matrices for the usual PDPs? I guess they do but who knows...
post #10 of 1402
Tom, does it put much if any physical pressure on the screen when using the counterweight in contact mode? I'm wondering if it will be OK with sensitive LCD screens.
post #11 of 1402
Thread Starter 
It is very light weight, so I doubt that this would be a problem. I would use it in the non-contact mode in any case to avoid the problem altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Tom, does it put much if any physical pressure on the screen when using the counterweight in contact mode? I'm wondering if it will be OK with sensitive LCD screens.
post #12 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

How does it behave on WCG displays? Does it need unique correction matrices for the usual PDPs? I guess they do but who knows...

I read these information about i1Display PRO @ Xrite Brochure....

Support for new & emerging display technologies: CCFL, White LED, RGB LED, Wide Gamut, New Future (field Upgradable)
post #13 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Tom, does it put much if any physical pressure on the screen when using the counterweight in contact mode? I'm wondering if it will be OK with sensitive LCD screens.
post #14 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

I read these information about i1Display PRO @ Xrite Brochure....

Support for new & emerging display technologies: CCFL, White LED, RGB LED, Wide Gamut, New Future (field Upgradable)

Sounds like I have a ColorMunki Photo to sell and a new toy to pick up.

It looks like their X-Rite product names are i1Display Pro and ColorMunki Display.
I wonder if there is any physical difference (between the Pro and non-Pro) except the case color. I don't wish to use their bundle software anyway.

According to this PDF, they use different software (no problem) but another difference that the faster measurement mode is only available with the Pro. But it still could be a limit on the software side (may be driver level) and I think I wouldn't use it anyway. (It's not a bad idea to give some time for the temporal dithering.)
post #15 of 1402
Whats the thought on selling an I1 pro, and using this model for 100% of the time?
post #16 of 1402
Tom, Will it still be advisable to do the 'color correction' step in ChromaPure, using an I1Pro to correct the Display3?
post #17 of 1402
Does it have a temperature sensor?
post #18 of 1402
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Tom, Will it still be advisable to do the 'color correction' step in ChromaPure, using an I1Pro to correct the Display3?

Couldn't hurt.
post #19 of 1402
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

Does it have a temperature sensor?

A non contact device has no need for this.
post #20 of 1402
I like the non contact design, and already have a tripod. I'd also prefer a meter that did not require profiling. I know you say "couldnt hurt", but do you feel it's everything the C5 is and better, and could actually allow a stand alone device for the $1200 and down group?
post #21 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

A non contact device has no need for this.

Yah, sure. I use even my colormunki in non-contact setup. But it requires a pitch black room.
post #22 of 1402
I saw that Tom has removed Chroma 5 Standard & PRO from ChromaPure Software Configuration Options and from Online Orders Page Also.

Maybe a benchmark of Klein K-10 vs. Chroma 5 & i1Display 3 will give a lot of answers to all for low light handling accurancy.

By-The-Way Does i1Display 3 include any certificate of performance like i1PRO?
post #23 of 1402
Are dark reading required?
post #24 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Are dark reading required?

http://www.chromapure.com/products-d3.asp

''It is also one of the easiest devices to use because it requires no dark reading calibration. ''.....Tom Huffman
post #25 of 1402
Tom, I don't understand the 'pricing': what I see is the Display3 bundled with CP software. Is this also the price if one already has the CP software (the Pro version)?
post #26 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Tom, I don't understand the 'pricing': what I see is the Display3 bundled with CP software. Is this also the price if one already has the CP software (the Pro version)?

$269 + $10 according to an email I received from Tom.
post #27 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

$269 + $10 according to an email I received from Tom.

Nice. I'm thinking of selling the I1 and using this exclusively, in the Pro version.
post #28 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtDaBeach View Post

Nice. I'm thinking of selling the I1 and using this exclusively, in the Pro version.

In my case it makes more sense to sell my C5, not the i1Pro. The D3 is no more accurate than the C5 so will still need to be profiled.
post #29 of 1402
Thats what Im curious about. Is 0.006 splitting hairs, or substantial.
post #30 of 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

In my case it makes more sense to sell my C5, not the i1Pro. The D3 is no more accurate than the C5 so will still need to be profiled.

Is it a fact (did anybody compare the readings on a WCG display yet?) or only an assumption (based on the fact that it's a 3-stimulus colorimeter)?

I am wondering if the X-Rite software applies some kind of generic corrections for the given WCG-CCFL/LED/etc displays based on the EDID information? (Something like the Quato iColor software does?) Or it is really capable of working on WCG displays?


My i1LT was useless on my WCG-CCFL LCD display (Dell U2410 , > AdobeRGB or the integer encoded CIE Lab) but one of my friends had a freshly re-calibrated i1d2 (they just sent it back from Switzerland, it was about 2010.05.xx) which is actually worked on that display. It looked right and I could check it back some weeks later with my freshly bought ColorMunki. The WP showed an acceptable and usual deviance only (not bigger than a drift which could happen after I moved the display to a different location with different room temperature and some weeks passed...) So, I think these colorimeters could work relatively well on any display.
It could be a coincidence but I am optimistic about these new colorimeters. May be they will be accurate inside the integer encoded part of CIE Lab if not further.

But yah, may be everybody should wait with the "big online auction of the spectros" until it's tested on various displays.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › X-Rite's Revolutionary New Colorimeter