or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Industry Area › HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World › 100 foot HDMI Cable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

100 foot HDMI Cable

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Desktop in other room, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse work from my Home Theater room, would like to run a 100 foot HDMI cable to the TV.

I will move the computer for a short time and check the TV with a short HDMI first to make sure it works. My goal is not to stream but to use it as a computer screen as I listen to CDs and do legal work.

No problem with ratio, refresh rates, will check for overscan when I move the computer in the HT room for a test to see if it will even work.


Likely need a repeater and 75- 100 foot of HDMI, reviews on Amazon are very mixed about what long cables work well and what do not.

QUESTION: Anyone doing this at 75 foot plus and if so and it works well name brand of cable, model, etc.

Want to keep the cost down but if I have to I would likely go up to $150-$200 (Would rather spend around $100.00) and us the extra money to update the real joy, the Audio and Video ends of the Home theater, no just a second work station. Above $200.00 and I will just go in the next room and use the computer and crank the CD's up but I lose the sweet spot.

Thanks.
post #2 of 15
If using a repeater, should you not be looking at 50 foot cables in lieu of 75 footers?

I will say this much - at 50 feet, there are only two cables that I can personally attest to working reliably: the Monoprice 2678 (22 awg silver plated 50'), and the Blue Jeans Belden Series 1. The Belden's a great value, the Monoprice an outrageous value.
post #3 of 15
Other current threads in this forum are discussing this same issue. You might want to get some expert opinions from those threads.

I can add this, the lower the bandwidth of the HDMI transmissions, the better chance you have of getting a signal. In other words, 1080i and 720p have a better chance of working than 1080p/60.

Also, please keep in mind that even 50 foot of HDMI cable is outside of the HDMI spec. Doesn't mean it won't work, but it means there is a chance it won't work.

Going with a higher gauge cable will help. ALso I'm assuming Supermatch meant "outrageous value" in a very positive way for Monoprice. Their cables have all been reliable for my uses.
post #4 of 15
Correct, I was implying that the Monoprice cable is veeeery tough to beat for the money.
post #5 of 15
And the BJC Series 1 is tough to beat at any price...
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermatch View Post

If using a repeater, should you not be looking at 50 foot cables in lieu of 75 footers?

I will say this much - at 50 feet, there are only two cables that I can personally attest to working reliably: the Monoprice 2678 (22 awg silver plated 50'), and the Blue Jeans Belden Series 1. The Belden's a great value, the Monoprice an outrageous value.

My problem is it's over a 50 foot run, I need to measure but I am in the 75' range at least as I have to go up and down then run the span of a room and a half, thanks though, I will measure and look into the cables you suggest.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
I will be running at the same rate as the computer monitor as I am told that will not tax the system with to resolutions as the HDMI auto puts out what the monitor is set for 1920 x 1080, thanks for the cable advice.

And if I am missing something where the HDMI can go a lower res without taxing the system, which is a workhorse, then I do not mind dumbing it down as I don't stream but use a stand alone WD-TV with HD's connected.

I just don't want to sink alot into this because it's just not worth it to me, $4000 on s sub, perhaps worth it, $200.00 on second video card and ad cable, not worth it.

I'm thinking repeaters should work on the length but I know Home theater but not PC to HD TV so I clearly might be wrong.


Any chance you could could point me to one of these threads, all I saw was 50' runs but did not read past the thread title.

Thanks!



Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Other current threads in this forum are discussing this same issue. You might want to get some expert opinions from those threads.

I can add this, the lower the bandwidth of the HDMI transmissions, the better chance you have of getting a signal. In other words, 1080i and 720p have a better chance of working than 1080p/60.

Also, please keep in mind that even 50 foot of HDMI cable is outside of the HDMI spec. Doesn't mean it won't work, but it means there is a chance it won't work.

Going with a higher gauge cable will help. ALso I'm assuming Supermatch meant "outrageous value" in a very positive way for Monoprice. Their cables have all been reliable for my uses.
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
My guess was wrong from running so much speaker cable years ago, 50' may do it, very close but I think I can force it, 60 foot would be perfect.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post

My guess was wrong from running so much speaker cable years ago, 50' may do it, very close but I think I can force it, 60 foot would be perfect.

Yes, standard speeds for HDMI are used at 1080i / 720p which were the standard resolutions before 1080p came along into the spec.

If I were you, I'd try a really good cable first - you've gotten some good recommendations. If the cable doesn't work, any other solution I can think of will cost you over $200 except for using less bandwidth.
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Yes, standard speeds for HDMI are used at 1080i / 720p which were the standard resolutions before 1080p came along into the spec.

If I were you, I'd try a really good cable first - you've gotten some good recommendations. If the cable doesn't work, any other solution I can think of will cost you over $200 except for using less bandwidth.

Thanks, I am going to run string and see how short I can go, follow the recommendations and make sure get a fairly high end one I can return.
post #11 of 15
Running a piece of string and running a 22AWG HDMI cable are very different matters - the HDMI cable is not flexible and won't go around tight corners; you can force them but eventually they tend to fail.

We see a lot of folk who have run long HDMI cables have in-life' problems with failing connectors - often damaged when folk are moving kit around for cleaning or kit upgrades.

Far more practical/likely to work if you install 2 x UTP, Solid Core CAT6 cables and add in a suitable set of HDMI over Twisted Pair Extenders - for 199 USD you can have a high quality set of Extenders that also offer an IR return path to your Source kit.

Joe
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

...

Far more practical/likely to work if you install 2 x UTP, Solid Core CAT6 cables and add in a suitable set of HDMI over Twisted Pair Extenders - for 199 USD you can have a high quality set of Extenders that also offer an IR return path to your Source kit.

Joe

Joe, could you provide a brand/model for these? I'd like to add these to my list of potential solutions.
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Joe, could you provide a brand/model for these? I'd like to add these to my list of potential solutions.

Thanks, I second that, I'm a bit lost past the CAT 6, if it's a DYI that needs to be built perhaps a link to a schematic.


Thanks for the tip on the solid Cat 6, I was way wrong, did the string thing last night and am at 40 feet so I can do a gradual 90 with room to spare, in the past on such things I go get a PVC 3/4 inch conduit elbow and run a cable through there, nice 12 inch gradual bend, normally works well just hanging it around the bend but with the suspended ceiling I can mount it with a few conduit straps than put the panels back in to hid it.
post #14 of 15
Look for Octava Inc. - three options. HDMI + IR (dual CAT6), HDMI + IR + Optical ( dual CAT6) and HDMI + IR ( single CAT6 using HDBaseT). The 'Optical' unit can send or Receive IR and Optical to or from the remote zone - you set them up independently using Dip switches.

Joe
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Look for Octava Inc. - three options. HDMI + IR (dual CAT6), HDMI + IR + Optical ( dual CAT6) and HDMI + IR ( single CAT6 using HDBaseT). The 'Optical' unit can send or Receive IR and Optical to or from the remote zone - you set them up independently using Dip switches.

Joe
Thanks - I should have looked a bit deeper (past the matrix switchers) on their web site.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20ethe...onverters.html

The final cost will actually be slightly above $200 when shipping and the two cables are included. But, at least Octava includes *both* power supplies so 120' is possible at 1080p/60 (or 3D).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Industry Area › HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World › 100 foot HDMI Cable