or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › ACER K330 LED 1280x800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ACER K330 LED 1280x800 - Page 9

post #241 of 933
I don't think this has been posted?

post #242 of 933
I hope they just didn't set their focus properly on the Acer in this test because the LG looks a LOT sharper to me in this video..
post #243 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

I don't think this has been posted?

As mentiened here, the seller never mentions the stretching issue of the HW300.
post #244 of 933
Ok just recieved my Acer. But one thing first, can anybody tell me why when I connect my laptop up to it via hdmi, I get a faint larger bounding box around the desktop screen. It's like the sides of the bounding box is showing me if there's any the keystone.

Ok wierd dust blob on the botton right of the screen. It's going back...
post #245 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

Ok just recieved my Acer. But one thing first, can anybody tell me why when I connect my laptop up to it via hdmi, I get a faint larger bounding box around the desktop screen. It's like the sides of the bounding box is showing me if there's any the keystone.

Ok wierd dust blob on the botton right of the screen. It's going back...

You mean border around the image? I don't quite follow the bounding box comment.

And could you show a picture of what you mean by dust blob?
post #246 of 933
I'm at work and I'll take a pic when I get back tonight.

I asked the shop about that bounding box and he says all pjs hv it for keystone correction. When I hooked up the pj to my laptop via hdmi, there's a faint bounding box around the desktop image, spanning about 2-3 inches either side away from the desktop image. It is smth to do with keystone correction, cuz if the pj isn't on a perfectly horizontal surface you can see that the left and right of the box is at an angle in relation to the auto keystone corrected desktop image. It's faint but you can see it, is this normal?
post #247 of 933
Yes, it's normal. You really need a screen that masks out the border to make it ideal.
post #248 of 933
Anyways, must of got a right lemon. Dust blob and then if I make the projected screen size small, like 30 inch or so, I can clearly see green spillage at the right and bottom of the lens. Like a blurry green line outside of the projected image.

I'm definitely getting a replacement and I'll take a few pics tonight to see what ye guys think. And as for the noise coming off the unit, I think it's fine. Maybe it's expectation, cuz I was expecting it to be far far worse from what I've read.
post #249 of 933
I had the same concerns initially with my HX350t (see here). I found out that the border is just there as a function of the zoom. If you mess with the zoom, you'll notice that the border will get thinner/thicker.

So yes, it's normal. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

I'm at work and I'll take a pic when I get back tonight.

I asked the shop about that bounding box and he says all pjs hv it for keystone correction. When I hooked up the pj to my laptop via hdmi, there's a faint bounding box around the desktop image, spanning about 2-3 inches either side away from the desktop image. It is smth to do with keystone correction, cuz if the pj isn't on a perfectly horizontal surface you can see that the left and right of the box is at an angle in relation to the auto keystone corrected desktop image. It's faint but you can see it, is this normal?
post #250 of 933
Right still gonna get a replacement due to dust blob, but still tested the pj a bit.

I haven't calibrated it in any way and pic is good straight outa the box. It could do with a bit more sharpness sure, but overall I'm happy with it. Image is 82inch on a white wall and in eco mod, plenty bright. I'm going to stretch to about 110inch when I get a proper screen. Being use to the inky black levels of my Kuro, I have to get use to black levels of this pj and pjs in general, altho my room isn't exactly optomized for black levels at the same time ie. white walls and ceiling. I tested more just to make sure I want this pj and the answer is yes.

Here's a couple of pics of that bloody dust blob. The first one the blob is more in focus. It looks like a star at the bottom right of the screen. And the second the screen is more in focus and the blob is more blurry. And a few more pics, taken by iPhone, of the pj in action.

http://www.mypicx.com/10182011/Acer_K330/
post #251 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

Right still gonna get a replacement due to dust blob, but still tested the pj a bit.

I haven't calibrated it in any way and pic is good straight outa the box. It could do with a bit more sharpness sure, but overall I'm happy with it. Image is 82inch on a white wall and in eco mod, plenty bright. I'm going to stretch to about 110inch when I get a proper screen. Being use to the inky black levels of my Kuro, I have to get use to black levels of this pj and pjs in general, altho my room isn't exactly optomized for black levels at the same time ie. white walls and ceiling. I tested more just to make sure I want this pj and the answer is yes.

Here's a couple of pics of that bloody dust blob. The first one the blob is more in focus. It looks like a star at the bottom right of the screen. And the second the screen is more in focus and the blob is more blurry. And a few more pics, taken by iPhone, of the pj in action.

http://www.mypicx.com/10182011/Acer_K330/

Glad you like it.! I am never sure what size my PJ is running at but I think 82 sounds small? Lawl. Spoiled by the power of a PJ.
post #252 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf View Post

Glad you like it.! I am never sure what size my PJ is running at but I think 82 sounds small? Lawl. Spoiled by the power of a PJ.

Thx! And 82inch I know. I really want a bigger size, but my room won't allow it right now. The longest dimension I can get 16:9 is around 107 inch, but that has a curtain at one end. So that's when the electric screen comes into play, when I get it.
post #253 of 933
I am interesting, how to reduce K330 power usage to minimal? Also it is possible to decrease brightness with factory menu tweak?
Someone wrote on ML500 thread, there is 37 watts consumption in ECO movie mode. Anybody confirm this?

I use Qumi at 17watt in ECO over 14 hours a day, and I am absolutely satisfied with her consumption.

Any help appreciated.
post #254 of 933
tataniko, how does your new Acer compare to your Qumi?
post #255 of 933
Wow, I got it 20 minutes ago. Standalone media player recognized my 2tb hard drive without problem(Qumi not), really loud speaker(Qumi quiet), Acer ECO mode is brighter than Qumi normal mode, and Acer was very correctly boxed, three kind of main socket plug, etc.

First impression: great, great, great. I am very happy with my new Acer K330. Yes.
post #256 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

Wow, I got it 20 minutes ago. Standalone media player recognized my 2tb hard drive without problem(Qumi not), really loud speaker(Qumi quiet), Acer ECO mode is brighter than Qumi normal mode, and Acer was very correctly boxed, three kind of main socket plug, etc.

First impression: great, great, great. I am very happy with my new Acer K330. Yes.

My Acer has been sent back for a replacement due to a dust blob. But can you try smth out for me? Can you try and put the pj very close to the wall or screen, thus projecting a very small image, is there any light bleed coming out of the sides of the lens. Like there's light coming out outside of the projected image. Just wondering if this is normal. Thx!

Or can any other owners try it as well thx!
post #257 of 933
Guys, there are many urban legend about K330.

First things first:
1. There are fast forwarding in media player. works great. (press and hold next button for 1 sec, and voila)

2. She can play HD content very smoothly, I tried many HD MKVs, and they only re indexed(not encoded) to MP4 level 4.1 for Xbox 360 HD playback format, and Acer can play smoothly.

Overall, I am very impressed, because I cannot play any HD content with Qumi, but Acer can without re encoding.

Wow
post #258 of 933
Comparing advantages Acer K330 and Qumi

K330:
brighter
better media player
loud speaker
on/off, Hide, and Freeze buttons are on remote control
auto shut down
better throw ratio
no focus issue, no heat at lens
service menu access

Qumi:
Eco mode (17watts)
1280x720 3D
quieter fan
light weight
small size

Overall: Qumi is a home pocket projector, Acer is a real portable home entertainment system.
post #259 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

Can you try and put the pj very close to the wall or screen, thus projecting a very small image, is there any light bleed coming out of the sides of the lens. Like there's light coming out outside of the projected image. Just wondering if this is normal. Thx!

Or can any other owners try it as well thx!

I tried, but I'm not sure if I really understand what you mean, but I guess maybe? It seems to leak some light below the image when up close, noticable up to about 40" away? Unless you mean the bounding box around the image, which I guess is there for keystone correction?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

1. There are fast forwarding in media player. works great. (press and hold next button for 1 sec, and voila)

Yes, like mentioned earlier. The long press to start FF, press to stop FF interface is really, really horrible though and obviously made by a programmer who thought he was being clever and not an interface designer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

2. She can play HD content very smoothly, I tried many HD MKVs, and they only re indexed(not encoded) to MP4 level 4.1 for Xbox 360 HD playback format, and Acer can play smoothly.

Whatever files you have must be encoded with different settings/profiles then, because I've pretty much literally tried every single 720p H.264 MKV (x264-encoded) you can "find on the internet" and it will not play a single one. Not one. It's been completely useless for me so far.

H.264 files from places like Apple play fine though (because they use a standard profile?)
post #260 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

I am interesting, how to reduce K330 power usage to minimal? Also it is possible to decrease brightness with factory menu tweak?
Someone wrote on ML500 thread, there is 37 watts consumption in ECO movie mode. Anybody confirm this?

I think when I checked my Acer pulled almost 60W at 230V in eco mode.

As for reducing the light output, I don't know. Maybe you can change the LED power settings, but personally I'd stay far away from that.
post #261 of 933
Just got mine today.
Coming from a 50 lumen DIY pj, the brightness is impressive. (this one is measuring 180 lumens in eco mode...)
Colours are amazing, focus is uniform. Seen one or two minor rainbows but I dont think they will be a problem under normal conditions.
Diagonal pixels are not so good for browsing etc, though maybe I just need a larger screen (currently 160x100cm or 74" diag)

Noise level is just about acceptable in eco mode (hardly any useful increase in brightness in other mode)

Raine0: No discernible light spillage or dust blobs

tataniko:
Have only had a quick play in the service menu, but it seems you can't manually modify LED current settings

Screen shots may follow...
post #262 of 933
What do owners of the K330 think of the black level?
post #263 of 933
The Acer I had when I put it very close to the wall, projecting like probably at largest 20 inch image, below and to the right n outside of the image, I see a blurry greenish line going horizontal down from the right n vertically across from the bottom. Just wondering is it normal.

Even at an image of like 82 inch, I think I see a bit of white light to the right n outside of the image. But maybe I just got a big lemon.
post #264 of 933
I have no problem h264 content, ps3/xbox360 are same capability.
Just keep profile 4.1 or below and bit-rate must be 20mbits or below in MP4 container. I am very satisfied K330 media capability, it is same like an xbox 360, but K330 has a built in loud speaker.

Also, K330 is very bright, and it is usable at sunny room at 50 inches !
But it is comparing Qumi picture quality, K330 is far worse, because it has more chromatic aberration than Qumi.

Overall: There is nothing serious problem with Acer K330, it is a very good home entertainment projector 650 usd price, but if anybody wants a real small portable projector with good pictures quality, Qumi is the better choice.

Personally, I will keep K330 like a home entertainment system with standalone media player, and I will abandon Qumi. In EU, K330 and Qumi are same price range, therefore at the moment Acer K330 has the best price/performance ratio in our market.
post #265 of 933
Black levels in a non lit room for an all black screen are clearly not black, but when projecting a normal widescreen image you hardly notice the top & bottom areas.
This is at 74" on a matt white surface.
post #266 of 933
CA is definitely visible from close up, but for video and at a normal viewing distance it is really not noticeable. Hopefully I can get these pics up now...
post #267 of 933
Ok, hope this works. Pics taken with D90. You can just about make out the non-blacks as it is a 4/3 screen with no surround.



more here
post #268 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

But it is comparing Qumi picture quality, K330 is far worse, because it has more chromatic aberration than Qumi.

So no warm up focus issues but ca is pretty bad ? Is it bad on everyones?



Quote:
Originally Posted by mich75 View Post

Ok, hope this works. Pics taken with D90.

Pics look Great with the D90, please take some more!


Edit: also found this on acer (tech spec)



Anyone tested this thing out with the Wii,PS3 or xbox ? Lag? Diamond pix more delay than square?
post #269 of 933
Anybody knows, where is the digital zoom on K330? I couldn't find.

Pictures of Qumi is better than three clones, but I confirm, the CA of K330 is not serious.
I think, Acer has a special picture algorithm, that is helping for movies but not text.
post #270 of 933
Type cttune.exe into "run" if you have windows 7, it will bring up ClearType Text Tuner, it's made for text correction on LCDs. It may or may not help with diamond pixels on the 0.45 DMD chip.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › ACER K330 LED 1280x800