or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › ACER K330 LED 1280x800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ACER K330 LED 1280x800 - Page 14

post #391 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSK View Post

I'm really thinking about buying the Acer K330 to replace a Mitsubishi HC1500. I like the idea of LEDs and not worrying about bulb life, just not sure I will be happy with the light output. But I do have a light controlled basement with no windows... pitch black when I'm using the projector. Any thoughts? The main use will be Xbox 360 gaming, on a 100" matte screen.

Thank you!

Hi ZSK, I can't say how it would compare to the HC1500 as I've never seen it but my guess is if it is pitch black, even 100" would be absolutely fine. I've been playing xbox at somewhere around 80"-90" and even ok with light on. I thought it looked great with no lights on. Again I really can't compare to bulb projector as I've never used one but I have heard the perceived brightness from LED is better than bulb when comparing same lumen ratings.. I was personally surprised at the brightness that came out of that little thing..
post #392 of 933
Is there any lag when gaming or is the response pretty good?
post #393 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRoW View Post

Hi ZSK, I can't say how it would compare to the HC1500 as I've never seen it but my guess is if it is pitch black, even 100" would be absolutely fine. I've been playing xbox at somewhere around 80"-90" and even ok with light on. I thought it looked great with no lights on. Again I really can't compare to bulb projector as I've never used one but I have heard the perceived brightness from LED is better than bulb when comparing same lumen ratings.. I was personally surprised at the brightness that came out of that little thing..

Does Acer have a projector calculator anywhere? I looked on Optoma's website for the ML500 (a clone of the Acer K330) and it's showing for a 100" screen I need a 10'3" throw (no zoom). Does that sound about the same for the Acer? On the light output the Mits HC1500 had 2000 + hours on the bulb so it was dimmer but worked okay in my viewing environment so I'm hoping the 500 lumens of the Acer will also be okay.

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/ML500

Thank you for the response!
post #394 of 933
post #395 of 933
DLP projectors are inherently lag free, even these diamond pixel PJs with their rescaling/processing of the signal. They are very very responsive.

At 100 inches in a dark basement, you'll be more than ok. Even in a semi-light room, although the colors wash depending on the location of the light source.

You'll love it for 2D gaming via the PS3, Xbox, Wii or a PC. 3D is another story, as the Acer K330 may not be compatible with the 3D-XL or VP3D1 converters. The Playstation and Xbox output 3D formats that can not be displayed by this projector, unless converted first.
post #396 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post

The less keystoning the better unless it is done optically. When using Digital Keystone correction, the widest part of the image is squeezed to the width of the thinnest. This distorts and degrades the quality of the image projected to a degree.

Has anyone tried using a 3D-XL, VP3D1 or VP 3D converter with their K330?

Here's an interesting thread that was recently started about keystoning effects on image quality.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1373350
post #397 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post


You'll love it for 2D gaming via the PS3, Xbox, Wii or a PC. 3D is another story, as the Acer K330 may not be compatible with the 3D-XL or VP3D1 converters. The Playstation and Xbox output 3D formats that can not be displayed by this projector, unless converted first.

It would mostly be for Wii, so that's good to hear.
post #398 of 933
I bought the Qumi from Amazon yesterday and paid for one-day shipping to get it here this morning. Overall I'm happy with it but might need to upgrade to the Acer K330, the Qumi seems a bit dark on my 100" matte screen. If I go down to 75" or so I'm much happier with the output. Do you think the extra 200 lumens on the Acer or one of the other clones will be enough?

Also has anybody had experience with returns to Amazon.com? Or exchanging for another product?

Thank you
post #399 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSK View Post

I bought the Qumi from Amazon yesterday and paid for one-day shipping to get it here this morning. Overall I'm happy with it but might need to upgrade to the Acer K330, the Qumi seems a bit dark on my 100" matte screen. If I go down to 75" or so I'm much happier with the output. Do you think the extra 200 lumens on the Acer or one of the other clones will be enough?

Also has anybody had experience with returns to Amazon.com? Or exchanging for another product?

Thank you

What is your throw distance to get 100"?
post #400 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sider View Post

What is your throw distance to get 100"?

11'3"

Thanks
post #401 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSK View Post

11'3"

Thanks

Hi, Its weird. according to projectcentral it should be 9'10" ~3m.
Anyway, I send my Qumi back and Amazon are great.
post #402 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave_Runner View Post

Hi, Its weird. according to projectcentral it should be 9'10" ~3m.
Anyway, I send my Qumi back and Amazon are great.

On the Qumi Q2 it's 11'3" for an 100" screen.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Vivi...ulator-pro.htm
post #403 of 933
Has still nobody mounted this thing to a ceiling? I asked way back in this thread before the unit was actually out.

If someone could recommend a ceiling mount to buy I would really appreciate it
post #404 of 933
I posted this in the Qumi thread
............................................................ ............................................
A lot of people used the ceiling mounts for security cameras. If you planned to upgrade to a larger projector later, you might want to get a full fledged ceiling projector mount and adapt it as necessary. If you had something to clamp it to, you could use a mount like they use for spotting scopes that clamp onto car windows. Thens there's also the sticky dash mounts for digital cameras that you could adapt. Lots of options............ just make sure the intakes and exhausts have room to breath.
............................................................ ...........................................

For the K330

You could also modify one of the LCD ceiling mounts, they are a little more heavy duty.

But it has been suggested that it might not be a good idea to mount the Acer K330 via the single hole that is used when it's on a tripod. Instead a mount that makes use of the three mounting holes should be used.

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=projector+mount

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=lcd+ceiling+mount
post #405 of 933
Keep in mind 15ft HDMI cable runs are usually not a problem. Longer runs may require a signal booster, especially if sending a stereographic 3D signal.
post #406 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post

I posted this in the Qumi thread
............................................................ ............................................
A lot of people used the ceiling mounts for security cameras. If you planned to upgrade to a larger projector later, you might want to get a full fledged ceiling projector mount and adapt it as necessary. If you had something to clamp it to, you could use a mount like they use for spotting scopes that clamp onto car windows. Thens there's also the sticky dash mounts for digital cameras that you could adapt. Lots of options............ just make sure the intakes and exhausts have room to breath.
............................................................ ...........................................

For the K330

You could also modify one of the LCD ceiling mounts, they are a little more heavy duty.

But it has been suggested that it might not be a good idea to mount the Acer K330 via the single hole that is used when it's on a tripod. Instead a mount that makes use of the three mounting holes should be used.

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=projector+mount

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=lcd+ceiling+mount

Thanks for the info. Is ther one on that search page you thnk would be particularly good for the Acer?

Im curious about the three hole recommendation though. I have mounted an LG hs201 by the tripod mount for 2 years and it only weighs less than .5 lbs less than the Acer.
post #407 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley View Post


It does have a tripod mount, but you're not supposed to use that for ceiling mounting.


If you look in the owners manual on pages 31,32 and 33, it recommends using the 3 holes. When in doubt, take the safe route imo.

I just listed the searches to point out that there are many options available, I'm using a tripod myself atm. If you see a larger projector or ceiling mounted LCD in your future, you may want a larger mount.
post #408 of 933
I tested HDMI resolutions yesterday in Powerstrip:
1080p 23/24/25/30/50/60hz works
720p 60hz works
1024*768 120hz 3D works.

720p 120hz 3D works ! via HDMI,

- but very blurred, and unwatchable. I think it is not hopeless, but we have get a working device with HD pico DLP chipset, and copy their detailed timing values from powerstrip, like pixel clock, horizontal active pixels, blanking pixels, etc, and spoof back to the clones, or somebody can play and figure out the correct values.
I think it is not possible, only need time, or values.

This is a very good news, because we don't need EDID spoof or something.
post #409 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

I tested HDMI resolutions yesterday in Powerstrip:
1080p 23/24/25/30/50/60hz works
720p 60hz works
1024*768 120hz 3D works.

720p 120hz 3D works ! via HDMI,

- but very blurred, and unwatchable. I think it is not hopeless, but we have get a working device with HD pico DLP chipset, and copy their detailed timing values from powerstrip, like pixel clock, horizontal active pixels, blanking pixels, etc, and spoof back to the clones, or somebody can play and figure out the correct values.
I think it is not possible, only need time, or values.

This is a very good news, because we don't need EDID spoof or something.

Thanks for testing this! It's nice to have confirmation that 1024x768 120hz via hdmi at least works.
post #410 of 933
Can anyone tell me what roughly the Acer or other clones equivalent in color wheel speed is? 4X? 6X? Thx.
post #411 of 933
I just ordered 2 of the Acer K330's from Amazon Germany to Australia, too good after reading the posts a page back.

Only thing I really felt from the videos on youtube show the LG's picture to be better, but no way I could live with the stretched picture.
post #412 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenblaze View Post

I just ordered 2 of the Acer K330's from Amazon Germany to Australia, too good after reading the posts a page back.

Only thing I really felt from the videos on youtube show the LG's picture to be better, but no way I could live with the stretched picture.

howcome 2? and also looking forward to hearing your view.
post #413 of 933
I have been following AVS since long, and finally logged in with Purchase of K330, waiting for that to reach India.

I have checked Acer K330 with one of my colleagues, and tested it in my Wannabe HT room. Room is dark with dark colors, with blinds on window and 500 Lumen is super good for that.

I am planning to use it with my Ubuntu, AMD Phenom II X4, M3A78EM.

Audio to Onkyo receiver with Optical out.
HD with 2 WIFI Dongles, one for PJ, and the other to Ubuntu, or HDMI.

I may upgrade to DLP AMD HD3D once I am done with all downloaded/available to download Anaglyph 3d with Cyan & Magenta glasses.

I have below questions before I receive it.
  1. Any improvement on file formats/Fan sound with New Firmware?
  2. Will DLP 3D worth the money we spend on glasses, and player/Graphics card when compared to cheap Anaglyph?
  3. Any luck with aftermarket/cheap non Acer Wifi Dongles

Any advice/pointer on DIY Screen for this Projector will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Naveen.KK
post #414 of 933
This is a Coretronic projector,
- firmware was created by Speakercrafts' EZ-Tools,
- the core system is Linux based,
- and compiled by GCC 4.3.3 for Actions MicroEltronics AM7x CPU,
- the wireless driver is for Ralink RT2870/RT3070,
- user interface is customizable (Acer,Optoma,Nec,Viewsonic)
- it is not encrypted.

Shortly: Developer can customize remote layout, user menu, special remote keys (Acer empowering), boot logo, etc in Ez-tools with Actions Media SDK for AM7x CPU, and create a bin file for flash.
That's all.

The problem is, how can we extract and edit the firmware.
post #415 of 933
The reason I bought 2 was 1 for me and 1 for a friend. Ok, time for a review after a good nights viewing.

Reason for buying: A few years ago I owned a Panasonic AE-2000 and an Epson TW2000. Both very good 1080p projectors (Costing about $4000 AU at the time) and the reason I sold was I moved into a unit and didn't like the UHP bulbs.

I make films in my spare time, and after completing my newest film I wanted to watch it on the "Big Screen", plus I have a huge Bluray collection which looks amazing on a big screen.

Currently I have a 65" VT Panasonic plasma as my main TV, but for years Ive missed the 90-100" picture for movies. So how does the K330 work out when I am used to HD projectors and have a decent main TV?

The good news is, I'm impressed. But let me begin by how the night started.

Initially I had a mixture of feelings. I was surprised how small and lightweight the unit is, and was impressed by how big and detailed the picture was. I started it up in the late afternoon, and the extra light made it too dim for me to use. I would not recommend this projector if lighting is used in the room.

With all the lights out in the evening it was great.The colours really popped, and brightness and contrast were both fine. The picture was very close to my memory of the AE2000 which is impressive, if anything I have been spoiled by my plasma's black levels and at first was a bit distracting.

At 90", the resolution definitely comes into play and I certainly look forward to a 1080P screen. That being said, when you go to the movies I'm used to non-HD, and honestly I wasn't too overly fussed by it, its still clear and sharp, and the slights loss of resolution almost adds to the film look. I tried shrinking down to 80" but preferred the bigger picture over a slight improvement of sharpness so I guess it isn't that bad.

The only big negative, and I stress is quite possibly the big deal breaker, is to decide of you are mounting on the roof or not. For me I can't, and it is really awkward to position the projector in an area that doesn't affect the seating arrangement.

For example at 90" the projector is back about 2.5mtrs, but that is literally right in front of my seat. If I move the seat back further I lose the benefit of the big screen look, and can't go closer as the 720P resolution starts to really be affected. I can live with the positioning, just be aware it is far from ideal. From memory my AE2000 had an optical zoom which helped greatly, but I understand you get what you pay for.

And that brings me to the big question, am I happy with it? Is it worth the money?

I think I can answer this very easily. I would much rather watch a movie on a 90" with this 720P LED projector than on my 65" 1080P Plasma. The benefit of having such a cinema like size and very good quality, vs the plasma which has an amazing picture but still feels like a TV makes the projector a winner to me. When you then add to the fact the projector cost $500 vs $4000 for my plasma, YES its worth the money.

If I was to only watch movies I would sell the plasma, but I much prefer it for TV and PS3.

Hope this helps, any questions happy to help, and if you are still contemplating to buy one, don't, you could be watching cinema in your home.

And if deciding which model to buy (The Acer/Viewsonic/LG/Optoma) I honestly could not see how any of them could be much better or worse and they should all be pretty much just as good. The biggest limitation of these projectors are they need 1080P, and an optical zoom, so until the new models come get on board and enjoy
post #416 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenblaze View Post

Hope this helps, any questions happy to help, and if you are still contemplating to buy one, don't, you could be watching cinema in your home.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope anybody helps to us about 3D ability.
post #417 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

This is a Coretronic projector,
- the core system is Linux based,

The problem is, how can we extract and edit the firmware.

If the core system is Linux based, then under the terms of the GPL the source code should also be released.
post #418 of 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

The problem is, how can we extract and edit the firmware.

You figure out the format of it then write a utility that extracts it. Whether you can rebuild a firmware image is a different matter. If the image is signed you're out of luck.

We'll wait!


Quote:
Originally Posted by andysm View Post

If the core system is Linux based, then under the terms of the GPL the source code should also be released.

Only for the GPL code they have used/modified. They do not have to release any of their own components or the tools used to build the firmware.
post #419 of 933
any recommendations for UK/EU stores (online preferrably) to buy from? where returning isn't an issue/hassle
post #420 of 933
So I bought this projector thinking it had a zoom. I checked the manual online just to be sure. The manual (both online and in my hand) says "to adjust the size of the image, turn the knob on the top of the projector".

There is no knob!

Now I know this manual is for 2 different models, but this seems like a pretty poorly written sentence. Shouldn't they differentiate? Say something like "unless you have the K330".

Luckily I bought it from Amazon, so I think I can return it. I'm very disaspointed though because this model really fit my situation nicely, other than the fixed lens.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › ACER K330 LED 1280x800