or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Viewsonic PLED-W500 LED 1280x800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Viewsonic PLED-W500 LED 1280x800

post #1 of 288
Thread Starter 
Viewsonic's up and coming 500 lumen LED Projector:

PLED-W500 LED WXGA Portable DLP® Projector
1280x800 native resolution
500 ANSI lumens
2000:1 contrast ratio
LED light source up to 20000 hours




post #2 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltonebob View Post

Viewsonic's up and coming 500 lumen LED Projector:

PLED-W500 LED WXGA Portable DLP® Projector
1280x800 native resolution
500 ANSI lumens
2000:1 contrast ratio
LED light source up to 20000 hours





I like the remote. better than Qumi.
I am waiting for it... or ACER... or Optoma ML500
post #3 of 288
Need more pics
post #4 of 288
Compared to its clones, the Optoma ML-500 and Acer K330, am i the only one who feels that the odd orientation of the control panel on the Viewsonic PLED-W500 scream "cheap Chinese aesthetic design" ? Why have it placed at such an odd angle ?
As i posted before, unless there are substantial difference in menu options, specifically video calibration controls and/or unit turns out to be poorly designed (Qumi + focus issues), aesthetically speaking i am all over the Optoma ML-500, my upcoming new 500 lumens LED projector, hopefully...
post #5 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Compared to its clones, the Optoma ML-500 and Acer K330, am i the only one who feels that the odd orientation of the control panel on the Viewsonic PLED-W500 scream "cheap Chinese aesthetic design" ? Why have it placed at such an odd angle ?
As i posted before, unless there are substantial difference in menu options, specifically video calibration controls and/or unit turns out to be poorly designed (Qumi + focus issues), aesthetically speaking i am all over the Optoma ML-500, my upcoming new 500 lumens LED projector, hopefully...

It's my number 1 led projector. I was thinking about the Casio which is a lot brighter, but every reviewer gives it bad reviews. With my HP screen, I think its a good combo on a 120in screen
post #6 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

It's my number 1 led projector. I was thinking about the Casio which is a lot brighter, but every reviewer gives it bad reviews.

Art Feierman gave it runner up 2 years in a row in its class,the casio is a whole different level above.
post #7 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

Art Feierman gave it runner up 2 years in a row in its class,the casio is a whole different level above.

I message him about it has a hdtv projector and he said it won't give me the HD quality that I am looking for. And who knows if these 500 lumens will. I'm used to my Marantz for hdtv. I don't know, I'm not hoping for excellent HD with these led projectors but I want the best from these 500 lumen led projectors or the Casio. I was about to buy one of the casios about 3 times but every time I do, its always a new review that I come across. The owners of the Casio loves them, that's why I'm on the fence and waiting to hear about these clones compared to the casios.
post #8 of 288
CNY 6580.00
post #9 of 288
1022$ FROM Chinese Yuan Renminbi(CNY 6580.00)
post #10 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

1022$ FROM Chinese Yuan Renminbi(CNY 6580.00)

QUMI Q2 in china CNY 5600.00
post #11 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by qin66 View Post

QUMI Q2 in china CNY 5600.00

869.31 usd
post #12 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

869.31 usd

Then I guess the projected price of $650~ USD is about right? Lawl.
post #13 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

869.31 usd

A lot, I know... But look, it has a POWER BUTTON on the remote! The future is here!


hehehe
post #14 of 288
869.31 usd is the qumi price in china
post #15 of 288
Wonder if it will have the same focus and rainbow/chromatic aberration issues as the Qumi.
post #16 of 288
Contrast 3500:1? Optoma is 2000:1 and Acer 5000:1. (supposedly)
post #17 of 288
RBE and CA should not be lumped together -2 different things .
post #18 of 288
I wonder if the PLED-W500 is able to handle screens above 80" size (focus?)? So far the spec is saying the size range is between 30 "to 80". My max screen is just 90" and yet out of the range.
LL
post #19 of 288
That 30"~80" diagonal maximum screen size spec cannot be right, it doesn't even make sense considering that currently sold 250~300 lumens LED presentation pjs such as the LG HX350T are spec'd for screens up to 80" diagonal and these 500 lumens pjs should be considerably brighter.
My understanding is that they are recommended for screens up to 120" diagonal, although i'd imagine that a high-gain screen would help matters as well.
Looking at the picture, it could very well be that the rest of the spec sheet listing sizes up to 120" diagonal was simply cut off due to space limitations...
post #20 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

That 30"~80" diagonal maximum screen size spec cannot be right, it doesn't even make sense considering that currently sold 250~300 lumens LED presentation pjs such as the LG HX350T are spec'd for screens up to 80" diagonal and these 500 lumens pjs should be considerably brighter.
My understanding is that they are recommended for screens up to 120" diagonal, although i'd imagine that a high-gain screen would help matters as well.
Looking at the picture, it could very well be that the rest of the spec sheet listing sizes up to 120" diagonal was simply cut off due to space limitations...

Anyone know what the light-source is? Is it the PT-54 driven to death, or the PT-120?
post #21 of 288
Red: 600-1,050 lumens
Green: 1,275-2,150 lumens
Blue: 275-480 lumens
54 can easly handle it
post #22 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

Red: 600-1,050 lumens
Green: 1,275-2,150 lumens
Blue: 275-480 lumens
54 can easly handle it

If this is the case I have a hypothetical question to put on the table.

If they are indeed using the PT-54 lightsource, I've read somewhere that this was made for 4:3 aspect ratios. In addition, I've also read that the newer 1280x800 TI chipset is smaller than the older XGA chipset.

If I am imagining this right, doesn't this mean that there is "excess" space in the upper and lower parts of the chipset when it's lined up with the PT-54 light source?

Following this, doesn't mean that they'd need to put some form of physical bar (e.g., plastic, metal?) to block out the excess light source due to the 4:3 ratio? Otherwise, wouldn't you get a square-box image regardless of the 1280x800 resolution?

THEN, can this "restricted" (from a physical placement perspective) light output affect max-focal range?

Just letting my mind go wild here. Or I could be completely wrong in that focus range is distinct from light-output.

P.S. All of this assumes that I read it correctly previously that the new 1280x800 chipset is smaller than the current XGA chipset.
post #23 of 288
Until we can find more detail specs for these projectors, we really won't know what light engine they are using.
I trow my hands up in the air because I still have not found anymore information on these new 500 Lumens projectors to give us any idea what light engine they are using, or the size of the TI Pico chipset.
I am just going out on a limb here and take a guess, yes, I could be wrong, but, I would guess they are using the PT-120.
Most of the time ? don't they post the specs of the size of the micro mirror chip ?
post #24 of 288
pt120 is for full size chips starting at .65-why are we going down this road again?The led is just a light source, lens and chip do all the sizing the 54 is.5 and 720p pico chip is .4.
post #25 of 288
I agree with DLPProjectorfan, as of now no one can unequivocally state that these upcoming 500 lumens LED pjs will be using the PT-54 or the PT-120 chipset, is all conjecture until we hear from the manufacturers or from Luminus Devices.
My impression is that they will be using the PT-120 chipset considering that current 250~300 lumens LED pjs are using the PT-54 chipset and the fact that the Samsung FM10 3LCD/LED pj also uses the PT-120.
Again, why would a pj manufacturer use the lower brightness PT-54 and run it harder/hotter (if that is even suggested or recommended by Luminus Devices) when for a few dollars more they can get the PT-120 chipset ?
My understanding is that manufacturers can purchase the PT-120 chipset in very large quantities anywhere from $150 to $175 per chipset, and by that they mean all three R/G/B LED chips per package.
post #26 of 288
Quote:


The large emitting area of the PT-120 is designed for projection systems using micro-displays ranging from 0.65" to 1" with wide-screen format.

the pt 120 will not be used
http://www.luminus.com/products/PT-120.html
post #27 of 288
26.5mm x 16.0mm-54
28.0mm x 26.75mm-120 1.1 inches tall
ML500 Optoma ML500 1.7 inches tall
LL
LL
post #28 of 288
eatmeat >>> You have stated more than once with absolute certainty the fact that these pjs will be using the PT-54 chipset; Have you any links/press releases/company info/etc, etc to prove your point or are you just guessing it like the rest of us ?
Like everyone else here i haven't seen any unequivocal statement on the subject matter, online or otherwise; If you have any, could you share it with us ?
post #29 of 288
the 720p pico is a .4 chipset
Quote:
The large emitting area of the PT-120 is designed for projection systems using micro-displays ranging from 0.65" to 1" with wide-screen format.
cant use it emt. area ,let alone the fact that it dosnt need it, size, wattage(not enough power).
post #30 of 288
....Well, that was very "illuminating" and "cast a lot of light" on the suject matter, hmm...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Viewsonic PLED-W500 LED 1280x800