or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another DownUnder theatre - Page 11

post #301 of 497
No, no time unfortunately.

Black? Acoustica can do their polyester HD batts in black as a special order (at least I thought they did)

Also, these guys can get black insulation - well at least they did, about 2 years ago when I phoned them.
post #302 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

The only progress in the HT was the installation of foam gasket into all the holes around the speakers in the baffle wall. This also took a lot longer than expected !
One concern that I now have is my choice of baffle wall insulation. I bought the CSR/Bradford black faced fibreglass, but having finally opened the plastic packing to look at it getting ready for installation, I'm concerned that the black facing is too thin and fragile. There's no way I'm going to get it up on the wall without ruining it. Anyone got any suggestions of locally available alternatives ?
Cheers,

That black coating is awful ****. It comes off and gets on your hands, walls and clothes. You need metho to remove it from the walls. What gap size do you have between the baffle cut out and the speakers?
post #303 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

No, no time unfortunately.

Black? Acoustica can do their polyester HD batts in black as a special order (at least I thought they did)

Also, these guys can get black insulation - well at least they did, about 2 years ago when I phoned them.

Spoke to Acoustica and they do black as a standard product. Thanks for the tip ! I should have it within a week.

Cheers,
post #304 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

The only progress in the HT was the installation of foam gasket into all the holes around the speakers in the baffle wall. This also took a lot longer than expected !
One concern that I now have is my choice of baffle wall insulation. I bought the CSR/Bradford black faced fibreglass, but having finally opened the plastic packing to look at it getting ready for installation, I'm concerned that the black facing is too thin and fragile. There's no way I'm going to get it up on the wall without ruining it. Anyone got any suggestions of locally available alternatives ?
Cheers,

That black coating is awful ****. It comes off and gets on your hands, walls and clothes. You need metho to remove it from the walls. What gap size do you have between the baffle cut out and the speakers?

Hi Jamie,

Not sure that's the same stuff. The fibreglass I've got has a very thin black fibreglass facing layer. It's like fibreglass fabric stuck to the surface of the batts. Must admit I feel like a complete idiot for not getting a sample before I ordered. We've used truckloads of similar stuff on projects overseas, and where I tripped up was assuming that the local stuff would be the same ... for some reason the facing seems greatly inferior to what I'm used to. It's incredibly thin and brittle.

The gaps between the speakers and baffle cutouts varies from about 10mm to 20mm. For this I bought a sheet of EVA foam and the time consuming part was cutting to the required thicknesses.

Cheers,
post #305 of 497
Cool, its good stuff - its what I used on my speaker baffles.

I use a reasonable quality bread knife to cut it - not an electrical on, just a Mundial

An electric one might work - really sharp and serrated
post #306 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Hi Jamie,
Not sure that's the same stuff. The fibreglass I've got has a very thin black fibreglass facing layer. It's like fibreglass fabric stuck to the surface of the batts. Must admit I feel like a complete idiot for not getting a sample before I ordered. We've used truckloads of similar stuff on projects overseas, and where I tripped up was assuming that the local stuff would be the same ... for some reason the facing seems greatly inferior to what I'm used to. It's incredibly thin and brittle.
The gaps between the speakers and baffle cutouts varies from about 10mm to 20mm. For this I bought a sheet of EVA foam and the time consuming part was cutting to the required thicknesses.
Cheers,

Hi Peter,

It sounds like you'll end up with something suitable. I think you originally got the same Bradford stuff I had a while back. The coating is very brittle and comes off very easily. If you get any moisture on your hands, they go black from handling it. I can't believe they make that product because I can't see what use it is. It just looks like the US black-coated fibreglass but instead it's rubbish and better off without the coating.

How does the Acoustica price compare to Bradford products, is it twice as much or comparable? I nearly bought their vibration damping product.

Cheers,
Jamie
post #307 of 497
Just one thing, Peter. Did Dennis specify a material for the baffle gasket? I've seen closed-cell foam weatherstripping specified before just for the gaps between the baffles and speaker cabinets.
post #308 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieT View Post

Hi Peter,

It sounds like you'll end up with something suitable. I think you originally got the same Bradford stuff I had a while back. The coating is very brittle and comes off very easily. If you get any moisture on your hands, they go black from handling it. I can't believe they make that product because I can't see what use it is. It just looks like the US black-coated fibreglass but instead it's rubbish and better off without the coating.

How does the Acoustica price compare to Bradford products, is it twice as much or comparable? I nearly bought their vibration damping product.

Cheers,
Jamie

The polyester is about 1.5x the price of the Bradford stuff.

Cheers,
post #309 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieT View Post

Just one thing, Peter. Did Dennis specify a material for the baffle gasket? I've seen closed-cell foam weatherstripping specified before just for the gaps between the baffles and speaker cabinets.

I don't remember a detailed spec for this from Dennis and I never asked. I just grabbed a foam that looked the right thickness, density and compressibility.

Cheers,
post #310 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

The polyester is about 1.5x the price of the Bradford stuff.
Cheers,

Thanks Peter.
post #311 of 497
Thread Starter 
Wow ... time flies and my thread was waayyyyyy back !

I've been hard at work ... not that you'd know it from the lack of posts. Anyway here's some recent shots ...

The baffle wall ... now with polyester batts ...

bafflewall.jpg

And again with flash ...

bafflewallflash.jpg

Peter, thanks so much for the tip about Acoustica polyester in black ... it was absolutely brilliant to work with !

The front ...

front-2.jpg

and rear ...

rear-1.jpg

Surround in a column ...

surround.jpg

Some column covers before fabric ...

columncovers.jpg

A finished column ...

column.jpg

Close up of column joint ...

columnjoint.jpg

with flash ...

columnjointflash.jpg

Finished column next to a bare one ...

columns.jpg

Column on the door ...

door.jpg

Shelves in store room ...

store.jpg

Cheers,
post #312 of 497
Awsome Peter! love the carpet.
post #313 of 497
Looking great!

Yeah the Acoustica product is awesome. I got some Acoustisorb for the other panels I made and its crap by comparison......albeit cheaper
post #314 of 497
How did you get around the building regulations for the windows requirements?

Did you already move in before starting the build?

I'm thinking about planning a HT in a new house but I kepe getting stuck at the windows.
post #315 of 497
Thread Starter 
The room has windows which were covered after inspection. It also has massive over capacity in the AC with an added fresh air intake.

Cheers,
post #316 of 497
Thanks for that. How far completed was the house and room before inspection?
post #317 of 497
Thread Starter 
The house was ready for occupation and the room was like the photos in post #225.

Cheers,
post #318 of 497
Hi, curious what/where you sourced the material for the columns?

Adam
post #319 of 497
Thread Starter 
It's called Trilogy 1 from RIM Fabrics in Melbourne.

Cheers,
post #320 of 497
Hi Peter,

It looks fantastic. Seeing the column on the door reminded me of those massive hinges on the entrance door. Were they used because you had the column going on the door, so you had clearance when you open the door? If so, great thinking ahead.

I had dinner with your Masking System manufacturer last week (while doing HAA Turbocal, Level I and II - great courses) and we were discussing the timing of your build because I need Chris to have a look at my masking system when he's in Sydney next. I also need to take my system apart to do my HAA Level II certification so I'm trying to time it all together. I know he's waiting on some Fidelio, but are you planning to be 'screened' in the next few weeks or so?

Also, next time you're in Melbourne, ask Chris to take you to (or at least tell you about) the dumpling place in Chinatown. The food is excellent (and ridiculously cheap - without added salmonella) but they don't like you hanging around afterwards!

That Rim fabric is very nice and comes in a lot of nice solid colours. If anyone wants a free swatch brochure, contact them at http://www.rimfabrics.com.au/trilogy-one.php (you'll have to register)

Cheers,
Jamie
post #321 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieT View Post

Hi Peter,

It looks fantastic. Seeing the column on the door reminded me of those massive hinges on the entrance door. Were they used because you had the column going on the door, so you had clearance when you open the door? If so, great thinking ahead.

I had dinner with your Masking System manufacturer last week (while doing HAA Turbocal, Level I and II - great courses) and we were discussing the timing of your build because I need Chris to have a look at my masking system when he's in Sydney next. I also need to take my system apart to do my HAA Level II certification so I'm trying to time it all together. I know he's waiting on some Fidelio, but are you planning to be 'screened' in the next few weeks or so?

Also, next time you're in Melbourne, ask Chris to take you to (or at least tell you about) the dumpling place in Chinatown. The food is excellent (and ridiculously cheap - without added salmonella) but they don't like you hanging around afterwards!

That Rim fabric is very nice and comes in a lot of nice solid colours. If anyone wants a free swatch brochure, contact them at http://www.rimfabrics.com.au/trilogy-one.php (you'll have to register)

Cheers,
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The wide butt hinges on the door were mainly to allow enough clearance for the 50mm thick acoustic panels I'm attaching to all the walls. The weight of the door also influenced the number and size of hinges. Adding the extra weight of the column was an unknown, but I'm keeping a close eye on it and so far all seems OK.

I have tried to avoid putting deadlines on myself, because I know I'll fail miserably !! But since you asked ... I expect to be ready for Chris around the end of October.

Interesting that you've done some HAA courses ... are you going into the business ?

Cheers,
post #322 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Hi Jamie,
The wide butt hinges on the door were mainly to allow enough clearance for the 50mm thick acoustic panels I'm attaching to all the walls. The weight of the door also influenced the number and size of hinges. Adding the extra weight of the column was an unknown, but I'm keeping a close eye on it and so far all seems OK.
I have tried to avoid putting deadlines on myself, because I know I'll fail miserably !! But since you asked ... I expect to be ready for Chris around the end of October.
Interesting that you've done some HAA courses ... are you going into the business ?
Cheers,

Hi Peter,

I'm thinking of setting up a theatre calibration, consulting and programming business initially sort of part-time and then if I get busy I'd look at doing more fulltime. There's no one really in Sydney that does it. I already been doing this stuff for myself and family for free for years. My current job in IT for financial services pays me well but a/v and gadgets are my passion.

Cheers,
Jamie
post #323 of 497
Awesome build, so need to get me one of these.
post #324 of 497
Thread Starter 
Columns are finished and I'm onto the wall panels.

Column on the steps ...

staircolumn2.jpg

And again ...

staircolumn1.jpg

Column on the door ...

door-1.jpg

Door handle in recess ...

door2.jpg

Column cover jig ...

columnjig.jpg

Timber cut for panels ...

timber-1.jpg

Panel jig ...

jig1.jpg

Another view ...

jig2.jpg

Cheers,
post #325 of 497
Looking good mate, as clean and tidy as ever smile.gif

Whats the plan for around the door....just some thin filling panels?
post #326 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Whats the plan for around the door....just some thin filling panels?

I have four doors in all, so it's a lot of fiddling around. My latest plan is to make the panels full size, add two sets of cross members about 5mm apart where I need to split the panel and then cut the panel in two. This should give me better alignment than trying to make lots of individual panels. These joints will be sharped edged to make them less noticeable compared to the radius edges everywhere else.

Cheers,
post #327 of 497
First of all, very nice theater!

I'm sorry if you have already posted the information, but I would like to know about the fan noise of the Procella DA-2800 amps? Would you say they are loud or could they be placed close to the listening position and not be audible?
post #328 of 497
Fantastic progress, thanks for sharing.
post #329 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post

First of all, very nice theater!

I'm sorry if you have already posted the information, but I would like to know about the fan noise of the Procella DA-2800 amps? Would you say they are loud or could they be placed close to the listening position and not be audible?

Very difficult question to answer as it's so subjective. One man's quiet amp is another's leaf blower ! They are certainly much quieter than my old Behringer 2500, but in my room with the very low background noise, I wouldn't want them out in the room with me.

Cheers,
post #330 of 497
Looks excellent Peter - the carpet is gorgeous!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home