or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another DownUnder theatre - Page 14

post #391 of 497
I'm certainly still here Pete and watching avidly!

Once it's done and you have a moment I'll fly up to have a look

Blade
post #392 of 497
Very slowly I am building my setup. Although my setup will be for outdoors. I dont have the room or money to build a new room so outside I go.

Hopefully over the next year I will get most of the stuff together.
post #393 of 497
Thread Starter 
David,

How close are your neighbors ?

Cheers,
post #394 of 497
This will be a "portable," setup. LOL

Seven BFM DR200's, Four MicroWrecker TH's, Dirac Live for surround DSP and Oppo103. Will be on a generator on locations that have large areas of nobody. biggrin.gif Although when I am home I will set it up a few times outside but I do still have my 21's inside. Long way to go and when its finished I will be just setting it up at and huge double oval where I play basketball. More just for fun with my fiends. Although I may try and get the community involved by doing events during Xmas or other. Might have to do a weekend movie showing at the local school gym. Kids would love it and I would to. But thats the idea so hopefully neighbors wont be much of a problem.
post #395 of 497
Thread Starter 
Sounds interesting ... we need photos !!

Cheers,
post #396 of 497
Well I just finished my TH. Getting ready to build a L/R speaker. Then another TH and PA TH's. I also finally finished one of my cabinets for my 21's. Been a while but I got tired of looking at MDF. So I painted one of them to give it a finished look. Need to finish the other one but not yet.

Did I mention I like bass.biggrin.gif I will post a pic soon. Dont have many but should upload the ones I have.rolleyes.gif I'm lazy at times and the four kids keep the days flying by lately.

One 15" outdoor sub.


One finished indoor 21" sealed sub.

Edited by chrapladm - 4/3/13 at 5:09am
post #397 of 497
Thread Starter 
No real progress to speak of ... but just wanted to post that my theatre has been entered into the local CEDIA awards by Len Wallis Audio who supplied all my Procella gear. Dennis Erskine gets a mention as designer as do I for all the DIY work. Unfortunately this makes the entry a bit of a dog's breakfast of contributors and the judges will probably toss me straight out ... but you never know ???

Some professional shots were taken for the submission so hopefully I'll have them soon for posting.

Cheers,
post #398 of 497
When's calibration day?
post #399 of 497
Thread Starter 
Hi Peter,

I've started doing a bit of calibration on my own and Dennis has been providing some long distance help. I need to set up my full REW test rig and see what it shows. I'm currently struggling to find time.

Cheers,
post #400 of 497
Ah fair enough, getting REW to work can be a pain too......moreso getting the hardware all working/talking at the same time

Good luck with the Cedia thing....LWA dont really deserve the accolade though!
post #401 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

No real progress to speak of ... but just wanted to post that my theatre has been entered into the local CEDIA awards by Len Wallis Audio who supplied all my Procella gear. Dennis Erskine gets a mention as designer as do I for all the DIY work. Unfortunately this makes the entry a bit of a dog's breakfast of contributors and the judges will probably toss me straight out ... but you never know ???

Some professional shots were taken for the submission so hopefully I'll have them soon for posting.

Cheers,

Cool! Good luck, look forward to seeing the photos and let us know how you progress with REW
post #402 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Ah fair enough, getting REW to work can be a pain too......moreso getting the hardware all working/talking at the same time

Good luck with the Cedia thing....LWA dont really deserve the accolade though!

My REW rig is a Behringer 8000 mic connected to a Behringer mixer to provide phantom power, feeding into the line-in on my PC. The PC feeds it's output into the system via HMDI.

Haven't used this in some years so I hope it all still works OK. I'll probably try to install it all permanently in the equipment room so I don't have to stuff about with it every time I want to tweak !

Cheers,
post #403 of 497
You're going to want an external soundcard (I cant remember why but the PC/laptop ones dont cut it) - I've got a Tascam
post #404 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

You're going to want an external soundcard (I cant remember why but the PC/laptop ones dont cut it) - I've got a Tascam

Hi Peter,

The sound card in my PC is pretty high end as it was originally built to be a music server. Any bright ideas on how to test it and confirm suitability ?

Cheers,
post #405 of 497
Not sure....I had a quick flick through the REW manual last night and couldn't find a reason for it......give it a go I guess and see what you think.

I can always pop down and you can try mine to see if they're any measurable differences

Edit: I assume your mic is calibrated?
post #406 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

I assume your mic is calibrated?

Hi Peter,

Not for many years ... I should probably have it done ... know anyone local ?

Cheers,
post #407 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Hi Peter,

Not for many years ... I should probably have it done ... know anyone local ?

Cheers,

No......I purchased a calibrated one Patchworks might or would know someone who would

......just fly one of Dennis' guys out (and he can pop round to my place afterwards biggrin.gif ) or wait another 4 years until mine is done and I'll fly him out
post #408 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Hi Peter,

Not for many years ... I should probably have it done ... know anyone local ?

Cheers,

Just an input to the mic-calibration.. I have an Earthworks M23 microphone which as far as I have read, is regarded as a reference microphone. I too have four Behringer ECM8000 microphones and when comparing the measurements of Behringer and Earthworks, they are roughly the same. (+/-1.5-2 db as far as I remember). So for room calibration I would not worry about using a non-calibrated Behringer mic. (I could have a very lucky batch of mics though smile.gif )

EDIT: If you are trying out calibration yourself, I really recommend that you use more than one microphone. Then you are able to verify your results and re-measure all seats instead of walking around between each measurement trying to find the exact same spots everytime when only using one microphone.
post #409 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post

Just an input to the mic-calibration.. I have an Earthworks M23 microphone which as far as I have read, is regarded as a reference microphone. I too have four Behringer ECM8000 microphones and when comparing the measurements of Behringer and Earthworks, they are roughly the same. (+/-1.5-2 db as far as I remember). So for room calibration I would not worry about using a non-calibrated Behringer mic. (I could have a very lucky batch of mics though smile.gif )

EDIT: If you are trying out calibration yourself, I really recommend that you use more than one microphone. Then you are able to verify your results and re-measure all seats instead of walking around between each measurement trying to find the exact same spots every time when only using one microphone.

Thanks for the info on the calibration check ... very interesting. I will certainly consider getting more ECM8000's as Dennis has made the same comment.

Cheers,
post #410 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

No......I purchased a calibrated one Patchworks might or would know someone who would

......just fly one of Dennis' guys out (and he can pop round to my place afterwards biggrin.gif ) or wait another 4 years until mine is done and I'll fly him out

I'd love to have Dennis over to do it ... why don't you pull your finger out and get it done in 1-2 years and then we could certainly share the cost. I'm very happy with the existing performance, hence the lack of urgency ... but 4 years is way too long !!

Cheers,
post #411 of 497
Well.....if you can get my wife a work from home/part time HR generalist/corporate investigator job it'll be done in 2 years and you've got a deal biggrin.gif
post #412 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Thanks for the info on the calibration check ... very interesting. I will certainly consider getting more ECM8000's as Dennis has made the same comment.

Cheers,
Cool. If he hasn't proposed a microphone switch, I use this one: http://www.markertek.co.uk/Catalog/Audio-Switchers/Kramer-Electronics-VS-81X-8x1-Balanced-Mono-Audio-Mechanical-Switcher
It is mechanical switching so phantom power works "through" it.
post #413 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Not sure....I had a quick flick through the REW manual last night and couldn't find a reason for it......give it a go I guess and see what you think.

I can always pop down and you can try mine to see if they're any measurable differences

Edit: I assume your mic is calibrated?

I think the only reason an external sound card is usually required is that most laptops' onboard sound only has a mic level input, not line in - if yours has a line in, it should work.
post #414 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I think the only reason an external sound card is usually required is that most laptops' onboard sound only has a mic level input, not line in - if yours has a line in, it should work.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers,
post #415 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post

Cool. If he hasn't proposed a microphone switch, I use this one: http://www.markertek.co.uk/Catalog/Audio-Switchers/Kramer-Electronics-VS-81X-8x1-Balanced-Mono-Audio-Mechanical-Switcher
It is mechanical switching so phantom power works "through" it.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
post #416 of 497
Thread Starter 
My younger son had a few mates over to watch Transformers 3 for his birthday. James is front centre left.



Fantastic 7.1 TrueHD soundtrack !

Cheers,
post #417 of 497
Looks like they're enjoying the recliners smile.gif
post #418 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Looks like they're enjoying the recliners smile.gif

Yep. Hot dogs before the movie ... chocolate cake at intermission .. movie was followed by some X-Box ... a 14 year old boy's perfect afternoon !

The theatre survived unscathed ! Mum and dad now off to a Thai dinner and a few glasses of red !

Cheers,
post #419 of 497
Nice Peter! I bet his friends who weren't aware of the scale of your theater were stunned. Of course something tells me they already knew about it!!! I can just see their faces now with all the surround sound effects.
post #420 of 497
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Nice Peter! I bet his friends who weren't aware of the scale of your theater were stunned. Of course something tells me they already knew about it!!! I can just see their faces now with all the surround sound effects.

Yeah ... there's a great rear to front pan at the start of the menus which had a few of them looking stunned !

Cheers,
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home