or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Stereo Only Floorstanding Speakers Under 1k
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stereo Only Floorstanding Speakers Under 1k

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I listen to 100% music, so I am interested in getting the most musical floorstanding speakers under $1000.

So far I have heard these are good-


Polk RTi A7 $429 ea - some have said they are too bright for music, and are better for home theatre.

Paradigm Reference Monitor 7 $329 ea

Klipsch RF-62 II $439 ea


Those are just a few choices, but I am open to any other suggestions as longs as they are under 1k.

Thanks
post #2 of 29
You might also want to check out the Magnepan MMG's http://www.magnepan.com.

$599 a pair direct from Magnepan with a 60-day, money-back guarantee. Worth a shot. Planar speakers, like the Magnepans, are a bit sensitive to room acoustics and placement and you might want to add a decent subwoofer (frequency response only goes down to 50Hz), but they are an extremely "musical" speaker.
post #3 of 29
post #4 of 29
$1000 for a pair of speakers...

KEF
Mordaunt Short
Dali (would have to buy used)
Bag End (again used)
Acoustic Zen
Totem (would have to be used)

Are you amenable to used speakers?
post #5 of 29
you could go higher into the monitir line for 1000. hell monitor 11's are just 200 more than that for a pair. . And i would definatly look for used stuff. There is alot of great speakers out there for a fraction of there original price.
post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

$1000 for a pair of speakers...

KEF
Mordaunt Short
Dali (would have to buy used)
Bag End (again used)
Acoustic Zen
Totem (would have to be used)

Are you amenable to used speakers?

I am not such a fan of used speakers, it probably wouldn't we bad, but I am stressed that I might get bad luck.
post #7 of 29
I'm not talking about buying used and having them shipped. I'm talking about buying local(of course would help to know where you are).
post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

I'm not talking about buying used and having them shipped. I'm talking about buying local(of course would help to know where you are).

I'm in Fort Worth, and there are not a lot of audio dealers close to me
post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34 View Post
you could go higher into the monitir line for 1000. hell monitor 11's are just 200 more than that for a pair. . And i would definatly look for used stuff. There is alot of great speakers out there for a fraction of there original price.
I heard people say that the monitor 9's are boomy, and that the mid range is not as good as the 7's. Is that true?
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post
I'm in Fort Worth, and there are not a lot of audio dealers close to me
I understand not having a comfort level with used speakers, but maybe reconsider given the tremendous value (bang for your buck).

Here are a few listings for used speakers that I found quickly in your area. I would suggest contacting each of these sellers and ask for an audition. If they don't offer an audition and refuse to meet you prior to purchase, walk away.

I have found most sellers of better speakers very willing to help out. Since you are dealing locally (no shipping) most sellers will deal, motivated to sell without shipping issues.

Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MKII in Denton, TX

Definitely give these a listen. The asking price is fair, but an offer near your budget is reasonable. Personally, I'd go after these if you have the supporting gear (amps) to drive them.

Dali Ikon 6 in Red Oak, TX

Nice speakers but already high on price. $250 or more off asking price is reasonable for a local sale.

Revel F12 on Dallas Craigslist

Ask if the F12 could be sold separately. List price new is $1300 and selling for $850 used. Even if unwilling to sell separately, the seller may be a resource for you.

Vandersteen 2ci in Tyler, TX. Listing is nearly 30 days old, if available an offer of $300 should get them.

Klipsch LaScala in McKinney, TX not sure of pricing on these, maybe someone can chime in but very worth a listen.

Give this a go, nothing to lose, lots to learn! And other selections will pop-up. You're in a good area for selection and deals on used speakers.
post #11 of 29
Also check out the Aperion Audio 5T and their Verus Forte tower.
post #12 of 29
I've been to Dallas, the shopping there is AWESOME.

Totem Acoustics is sold at...
Audio Video Unplugged (Farmers Branch)
MyHomedia (Plano)

Acoustic Zen is sold at...
Advanced Home Theater (Plano, These guys also sell KEF)
Chambers Audio Video (Dallas)

Mordaunt Short is sold at...
Audio Zeal (Austin, these guys came up in a search for a couple others as well)

Paradigm is sold at...
Audio Concepts (Dallas)
Kellum Audio/Video & Appliances (Dallas)

Pick up a phone book.
post #13 of 29
B&W 684
Monitor Audio Silver Rx 6
Dynaudio 2/6 These are stand mounters, but they can sing! Worth listening even if you are set on floor standers like me.
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post
I am not such a fan of used speakers, it probably wouldn't we bad, but I am stressed that I might get bad luck.
Having bought all of my speakers new, I applaude your point of view. That said, I know that in the Klipsch lineup, you can get some GREAT values if you look at the used market and... the main concern with that type of purchase is the condition of the cabinet.

My LaScalas are over 30 years old and a full replacement of drivers/crossovers is merely a phone call away. When buying used on the Klipsch (specificially Heritage lineup), the only real concern in my opinion is buying a pair that has cosmetics you are happy with. Virtually everything else can be easily repaired/replaced.

Just food for thought
post #15 of 29
It may be worth seeing if there is a DIY'er in your area from AVS Forum.

I built a Zaph ZA5 design and compared to my other Zaph and the JBL EL90's ($1100 for that pair retail) the ZA5 just kick the snot out of them driver to driver. For $443 for the MTMMM / MMTMM design that would leave you more than enough $$ for a cabinet builder and self adhesive veneer and I would say outclass by a large stretch anything you are going to find commercially at $1K
post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
I have asked some guys and they said buying the sierra 1 nrt plus a good sub is a much better option for music under 1k. I am not sure how it would compare to any of the above speaker choices. What would you recommended?
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post

I have asked some guys and they said buying the sierra 1 nrt plus a good sub is a much better option for music under 1k. I am not sure how it would compare to any of the above speaker choices. What would you recommended?

The Sierra 1 is a bookshelf speaker. Your original post indicated the want for floor standing speakers. Not sure of the pricing for the 1 NRT but I think a pair + SW will easily exceed $1K.

Depending on your room size, I do believe that a pair of bookshelf speakers + a SW could your best choice.

It seems you need to get out and do some research on your own rather than asking for random recommendations. Schan1269 provided a list of area retailers. Good place to start as well as contacting others with used speakers in your area. Don't need to commit to buy but do need to commit to listening.
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post

I have asked some guys and they said buying the sierra 1 nrt plus a good sub is a much better option for music under 1k. I am not sure how it would compare to any of the above speaker choices. What would you recommended?

I'm on the record elsewhere that I do not believe monitors + sub will ever integrate the lows as well as a well-built floorstander. That said, if your room won't accommodate, or your budget won't, you may find that you can get a better sound with monitors + sub than with what you're willing to spend on the floorstanders. There are some alternative, internet direct speaker companies in your price range that might offer what you're looking for.

I'd go with used or internet direct if you're buying floorstanders in this price range. Otherwise, I don't see getting much quality sound value for your dollar.
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post

I have asked some guys and they said buying the sierra 1 nrt plus a good sub is a much better option for music under 1k. I am not sure how it would compare to any of the above speaker choices. What would you recommended?

You have already been given good answers - now it is time to audition.
The Sierra and sub is over $1000.

"but I am open to any other suggestions as longs as they are under 1k."
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You have already been given good answers - now it is time to audition.
The Sierra and sub is over $1000.

"but I am open to any other suggestions as longs as they are under 1k."

I can buy the Sierra nrt used for $898. I would get a sub for them later, using a different budget.

I also though that the monitor 9's would be a good option, but a lot of people have said that they are not so good at imaging, but there is a Paradigm dealer 10 miles away from me, so I will have to go see for myself.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post

I can buy the Sierra nrt used for $898. I would get a sub for them later, using a different budget.

I also though that the monitor 9's would be a good option, but a lot of people have said that they are not so good at imaging, but there is a Paradigm dealer 10 miles away from me, so I will have to go see for myself.

Are these the Sierras you're considering?

Kinda curious as to how this option came to consideration given your initial aversion to buying used and the want for floorstanding speakers?
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post

I can buy the Sierra nrt used for $898. I would get a sub for them later, using a different budget.

I also though that the monitor 9's would be a good option, but a lot of people have said that they are not so good at imaging, but there is a Paradigm dealer 10 miles away from me, so I will have to go see for myself.

The Monitor speakers to me - lack good imaging and are recessed in the
midrange. And, the bass does not seem to be real tight and controlled.
However, audition and see if they are for you.
The Sierra can be a good option for you - listen to some speakers and be
sure of your decision.
post #23 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

Are these the Sierras you're considering?

Kinda curious as to how this option came to consideration given your initial aversion to buying used and the want for floorstanding speakers?

Yes that is what I am considering. My room is 12x14, and I am beginning to think that I may get better music reproduction with these than floor standers for the same price.
post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The Monitor speakers to me - lack good imaging and are recessed in the
midrange. And, the bass does not seem to be real tight and controlled.
However, audition and see if they are for you.
The Sierra can be a good option for you - listen to some speakers and be
sure of your decision.

The only thing is I can't really audition the sierra's because they are a website only dealer.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post

The only thing is I can't really audition the sierra's because they are a website only dealer.

In a 12x14 room, I would look at bookshelves and a musical sub.
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

In a 12x14 room, I would look at bookshelves and a musical sub.

Thanks, I think that would probably be the best idea too.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post

..... and I am beginning to think that I may get better music reproduction with these than floor standers for the same price.

Why?
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post

The only thing is I can't really audition the sierra's because they are a website only dealer.

I have the Sierras and a small sub in a similarly sized room and to me it sounds excellent. Don't forget to budget for stands.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post


In a 12x14 room, I would look at bookshelves and a musical sub.

I'll also throw Aperion back out for their 4T's with a sub. That would be around 1k. Those would be plenty for that room.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Stereo Only Floorstanding Speakers Under 1k