or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › New xrite spectracal c6 questions??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New xrite spectracal c6 questions??

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
Hi,

Did I read that release properly in that the C6 is a spectro?? And the Display3 is a Colorimeter?

And does anyone know if both of these meters will be licensed for the v4 Enthusiast CalMan software or will there be a fee to use them?

Finally, for a total hobbiest like me that will NEVER make any money doing this stuff, would the Display3 be plenty good enough to do the job or would the C6 be leaps and bounds better??


Thanks!
Doc
post #2 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochlywd View Post

Hi,

Did I read that release properly in that the C6 is a spectro?? And the Display3 is a Colorimeter?

And does anyone know if both of these meters will be licensed for the v4 Enthusiast CalMan software or will there be a fee to use them?

Finally, for a total hobbiest like me that will NEVER make any money doing this stuff, would the Display3 be plenty good enough to do the job or would the C6 be leaps and bounds better??


Thanks!
Doc

they are the same hardware, a colorimeter
post #3 of 46
Greetings

Still not a spectro so the spectros still beat it. Even a color munki would beat it for accuracy.

regards
post #4 of 46
Here's a comparison form SpectraCal of the C6 and OEM i1 Display (I want to Call it the Display 3)..

http://consumer.spectracal.com/pages...-oem-i1display
post #5 of 46
Since the speed increase isn't included for the OEM i1 Display, what specifically makes it better (if anything) than the Chroma-5? On the surface, it doesn't seem to be a significant upgrade unless you get the C6 version.
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post

Since the speed increase isn't included for the OEM i1 Display, what specifically makes it better (if anything) than the Chroma-5? On the surface, it doesn't seem to be a significant upgrade unless you get the C6 version.

According to the guys in the other thread, the speed difference should be the same regardless of whether you get the OEM i1 Display or the C6:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

Enhancements will vary from vendor to vendor.

The 5x speed difference is what X-Rite claims as a difference between the ColorMunki Display and i1Display Pro versions (retail and OEM) of the meter.

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=260

This has nothing to do with vendor-specific enhancements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

the 'up to 5x faster' spec is comparing it to the Chroma 5...

from my understanding, SpectraCal's OEM i1 Display will have similar speed performance as their C6.
post #7 of 46
@HogPilot & Turbe

Thanks.
post #8 of 46
SpectraCal C6 Speed : Up to 5x faster than retail model and previous generation colorimeters.

OEM i1Display Speed: Fast

http://consumer.spectracal.com/pages...-oem-i1display
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

SpectraCal C6 Speed : Up to 5x faster than retail model and previous generation colorimeters.

OEM i1Display Speed: Fast

http://consumer.spectracal.com/pages...-oem-i1display

Joshua did say they would update that matrix to prevent confusion but I didn't expect it updated tonight..

I'm going to stick to my understanding, similar performance between the SpectraCal OEM i1 Display and C6...
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

SpectraCal C6 Speed : Up to 5x faster than retail model and previous generation colorimeters.

OEM i1Display Speed: Fast

http://consumer.spectracal.com/pages...-oem-i1display

What does that mean? Without quantifying how fast the OEM version is, it's really a meaningless metric. They should be more specific.
post #11 of 46
both are up to 5x faster than previous colorimeter generations
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

both are up to 5x faster than previous colorimeter generations

Okay, so both perform identically in this respect, correct?
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

Okay, so both perform identically in this respect, correct?

correct

from my understanding, after speaking with both my SpectraCal and X-Rite Rep, there is no OEM version of the ColorMunki Display.. only OEM versions of the X-Rite i1 Display Pro!

And again, the Retail versions of this meter, in any version (Retail ColorMunki Display and/or Retail i1 Display Pro), will only function with X-Rite's own software!
post #14 of 46
Is the SpectraCal i1 Display OEM the same as what Chromapure called it i1Display 3? Tom H. gives very high marks for it, which raise the question.. what "extra" is C6 going to give you given it is still a colorimeter??
post #15 of 46
BTW, for low light handling... is C6 going to be the same as i1D-OEM?
Can it read reliably at around 20% or even 10% WHITE? (Assuming 100% WHITE is about 12fL)
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Is the SpectraCal i1 Display OEM the same as what Chromapure called it i1Display 3?

Yes (i1 = EyeOne) - both have stock X-Rite tables.

You need software to use the OEM meter:

Currently:
Chromapure Standard w/EyeOne Display 3: $440.00
CalMAN DIY (w/Colorimeter Add-on) w/OEM i1 Display: $345.00 (if purchased together)


.
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

BTW, for low light handling... is C6 going to be the same as i1D-OEM?

i1D-OEM - Assuming you are referring to the SpectraCal OEM i1 Display vs SpectraCal C6:

Yes, in regards to hardware IMO.
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Yes (i1 = EyeOne) - both have stock X-Rite tables.

You need software to use the OEM meter:

Currently:
Chromapure Standard w/EyeOne Display 3: $440.00
CalMAN DIY (w/Colorimeter Add-on) w/OEM i1 Display: $345.00 (if purchased together)


.

Thanks! I currently own Calman DIY, i1D2 and ColorMunki. I want to see if I should spend $245 to upgrade my i1D2, given the speed and LLH capabilities. So, do I also need to get colorimeter add-on? (that's another $130 then..).
Comments on if I should upgrade?
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post
Greetings

Still not a spectro so the spectros still beat it. Even a color munki would beat it for accuracy.

regards
The best thing about the D3 is that don't require a dark reading calibration every 20 minutes.. I really hate my Colormunki because of that
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post
So, do I also need to get colorimeter add-on? (that's another $130 then..).
from what I was told late yesterday afternoon, yes. Joshua even agreed with me that it would be cheaper to buy that new $345 bundle.... There is a table on SpectraCal's website that suggests the Colorimeter add-on is not required... please be patient, I should have a clear answer soon from Joshua.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post
(that's another $130 then..).
If you do, just buy the new $345 (Intro Price) Bundle (includes OEM i1 Display and the properly Licensed CalMAN DIY for this meter). After the end of July, price will go up to $395.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post
Comments on if I should upgrade?
Well, you already are setup for meter profiling and you do already have my #2 recommended meter, ColorMunki Spectro (2nd IMO to the EyeOne Pro for DIYers). If you have some extra cash and/or just want to expand the tools in your Hobby's kit, then add the Display 3. I personally don't really see the need with your current combo.. maybe you can sell your Display 2????
post #21 of 46
Thanks Turbe!
Over at CALMAN forum, Derek confirmed that the i1D-OEM will include the colorimeter add-on. So... $250... for the hardware and the add-on (that I can use with C5/C6 later on if I want to) now doesn't sound too bad
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Thanks Turbe!
Over at CALMAN forum, Derek confirmed that the i1D-OEM will include the colorimeter add-on. So... $250... for the hardware and the add-on (that I can use with C5/C6 later on if I want to) now doesn't sound too bad

yes, I just saw that.... it looks like the Colorimeter Add-on is required as Joshua stated but for the time being, SpectraCal is including the Add-On for existing CalMAN DIY Users who purchase the OEM i1Display Meter only.

Great deal!
post #23 of 46
Will the C6 work out of the box with Enthusiast or will one need to purchase the add on licenses as well?
post #24 of 46
''The results of this test confirm that the Display 3 reads down to 0.003 cd/m2, or 0.001 fL'' From Tom's Huffman Review *

Full Review Link:
http://www.chromapure.com/newgear_display3.asp

* Tom has tested the OEM iDisplay Version using ChromaPure Software.
SpectraCAL hasn't post any details of C6 low light reading ability. Maybe are similar.
post #25 of 46
interesting
post #26 of 46
Does anyone have the C6 specification?
I'm wondering about, there is still no spec on Spectracals C6 product page.

For my C5 I know this (I'm considering to replace him with the C6):
Luminance Range = 0.05 - 1000 cd/m^2

So especially I would like to know, what's the lowest luminance, the C6 still just can read accurate ...

?
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry* View Post

Does anyone have the C6 specification?
I'm wondering about, there is still no spec on Spectracals C6 product page.

For my C5 I know this (I'm considering to replace him with the C6):
Luminance Range = 0.05 - 1000 cd/m^2

So especially I would like to know, what's the lowest luminance, the C6 still just can read accurate ...

?

Chromaticity around 0.02 and luminance 0.002 cd/m^2
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

Chromaticity around 0.02 and luminance 0.002 cd/m^2

Can you really trust color readings from ANY meter at 0.02 cd/m^2 (0.006 fL)? It's my understanding that the 0% and 10% grayscale steps can only be adjusted by eye to correct visible color errors. A number of professional calibrators have mentioned this on the forum in the past. Here's an example.
post #29 of 46
I think I would trust Derek's response here since he's specifically tested this aspect of the C6's performance, and probably on more than 1 sample. Michael's response in the other thread was more like how meters in general tend to respond (or not respond).
My C6 is reliable at 10% on every display Ive measured with it. By reliable, I mean steady readings that follow the general trend above 10% and agree with my eye.
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

I think I would trust Derek's response here since he's specifically tested this aspect of the C6's performance, and probably on more than 1 sample. Michael's response in the other thread was more like how meters in general tend to respond (or not respond).
My C6 is reliable at 10% on every display Ive measured with it. By reliable, I mean steady readings that follow the general trend above 10% and agree with my eye.

Well, I'm getting my LG display professionally calibrated next week and my calibrator told me that no meters can be trusted below 20% gray for color readings. He has a Klein K-10 colorimeter in addition to a reference spectro and so if the K-10 can't be trusted below 20% for color, I doubt the C6 can.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › New xrite spectracal c6 questions??