or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820) - Page 74

post #2191 of 2584
Does anyone here know how long the exchange process takes I was approved for an exchange for a new set on 3/24 and the set hasn't shipped yet and Sony really doesnt have a timetable they orginally said 5/10 days now they say 3/4 weeks
post #2192 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel View Post

Wow -- you must be psychic or have done this before. That is what happened.

Sony did call me back this afternoon. To their credit they did try to find a new 55HX820 to replace mine, but apparently there are none to be found.

They asked me to look on the Sony site to find a set I would be happy with exchanging my set. I didn't have to look - I said I wanted the equivalent or better - what about an 55HX929? Off to talk to someone - that didn't fly - I would've been surprised if it had.

Bottom line - accept an even exchange on a refurb 55HX820 or pay $300 for a new 55HX850.
The 850HX is out? Available? Yep - in the warehouse, ready to ship.

Escalated to the next tier. Explained I would be happy with them fixing my set with new parts.
Was told the parts are back-ordered with no delivery date.

Tried to talk down the $300 + tax cost of an exchange for the 55HX850, I don't see the added value over the HX820.. I was happy with the HX820.. Not budging. Take the refurb or pay to "upgrade."

I relented. Not real happy about the $300+ charge, but happier having a new set than a used one.

I don't know if his end game was a jab. The rep told me he was sorry they couldn't do better on the price, but they'd "extend" the warranty on the new set by 3 mos., so I would have a full years warranty on it.

Huh? I guess the plan was to only warrant the new set for the remainder of my old set's warranty. That was pretty brutal.

I am pretty unconcerned. Sony would have to be the crappiest company on earth and my luck the worst to get two bad sets in a row.

We'll see..

Feel a bit robbed over the money.. but glad it is over.

Thats about how far they woulda gone.. Maybe got some Sony products to "test" out the 3d or something but it sounds fair to me... These new hx850s should be leaps better than last years.. Also you are getting it directly from Sony so I would think your in the clear.. Your makin me jealous, the 850 gots a ton of improvements over the 820. Tell everyone on here how it is and everything when you get it..

Also, you did a good job haggling it sounds like... Most people get depressed or tired of the games those customer reps play and give up.. You made them make you happy which you wont get from most companies these days so Kudos to you and Kudos to Sony
post #2193 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.rudolf View Post

Does anyone here know how long the exchange process takes I was approved for an exchange for a new set on 3/24 and the set hasn't shipped yet and Sony really doesnt have a timetable they orginally said 5/10 days now they say 3/4 weeks

Since they have to pick up your TV first and receive it before shipping the replacement, then yes it'll take probably four weeks.
post #2194 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerxt View Post

Strange since I called the Sony store yesterday and they checked and was told the 4/2 availability date has been pushed back to 4/16 now!!!
Want my HX 850 badly

Two different models.. 46 and 55.. 46 comes out 4-2 like he said and the 55 comes out 4-16 like the Sony rep said.
post #2195 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ View Post

Two different models.. 46 and 55.. 46 comes out 4-2 like he said and the 55 comes out 4-16 like the Sony rep said.

This was a very fair deal giving you the choice of a free refurb replacement (standard procedure) or for a small amount of $$$ a new model. You were an excellent negotiator, too!
post #2196 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuse View Post

Since they have to pick up your TV first and receive it before shipping the replacement, then yes it'll take probably four weeks.

Dacuse they claim to be replacing tv at time of pickup does that seem normal
post #2197 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.rudolf View Post

Dacuse they claim to be replacing tv at time of pickup does that seem normal

If it were the same model, they might have used white glove delivery meaning they would unpack your new TV and re-pack the defective one back into the new TV's box. Since the model is different, the insets are different but you might want to ask Sony.
post #2198 of 2584
Its the same model they have a few left its a 46 nx720 sorry for posting in this forum but this one is a little more active
post #2199 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.rudolf View Post

Its the same model they have a few left its a 46 nx720 sorry for posting in this forum but this one is a little more active

Ask Sonylistens' Sarah Kepler on Facebook if you could get white glove delivery. Send her a message don't post it on her wall, my suggestion.
post #2200 of 2584
That's who's taking care of it so I think I'm ok
post #2201 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.rudolf View Post

That's who's taking care of it so I think I'm ok

You definitely will be!
post #2202 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.rudolf View Post


Dacuse they claim to be replacing tv at time of pickup does that seem normal

Well in your case they're doing a swap so they may deliver your new TV at the same time they take bad one. In my case it was a cash refund.
post #2203 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuse View Post

Well in your case they're doing a swap so they may deliver your new TV at the same time they take bad one. In my case it was a cash refund.

They usually do white glove delivery, taking your defective unit off the stand, unpacking your new TV, assembling the TV stand and placing it where you want it. They then pack up your defective TV in the new box that your replacement came in. I've had this done several years ago and it took about 10-15 minutes.
post #2204 of 2584
CNET reviewed the new 2012 HX750 ( first of the 2012 models so far)

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...es#reviewPage1

Get's dinged for poor black levels, praised for color accuracy:

"Black luminance (0%) 0.02671 Poor "

"Color accuracy: The colors on the HX750 are some of the best we've seen on an LCD for some time."
post #2205 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

CNET reviewed the new 2012 HX750 ( first of the 2012 models so far)

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...es#reviewPage1

Get's dinged for poor black levels, praised for color accuracy:

"Thinking about this TV causes my shoulders to involuntarily shrug, and wonder whether the step-up HX850 can go some way to restore the level of quality the company achieved last year. "


I hope so or that's money down the drain.
I received an e-mail from Sony confirming the swap of my HX820 for an HX850.

They say it'll be two weeks after I get an email confirming shipment.

Looks like this is gonna take a while.
post #2206 of 2584
Where do I find a documentation that says which resolution video files this tv can reproduce?? I am having problems playing a 2:41 mkv file... It does play 2:35 files but the 2:41 mkv file stretches out to the whole screen, leaving people with enlongated faces.... So i have to use the WIDE mode so they can look ok again... but still I lose a lot of image, ya know??? I don't know if it's the bluray S580, either.

I remember seeing this documentation around, but I don't know where to find it. It shows all resolutions the display, or blu-ray is capable of playing. When it doesn't, it simply fills out the screen with the whole image, i think.

can i say the NAME of the release so you guys can test it too? If i can't, someone ask me through PM...

Thanks for any help, guys!
post #2207 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman65 View Post

Purchased the Sony 46HX820 3 weeks ago and am happy with the tv apart from the following.
When viewing content with a dark/black setting 5-6 grey vertical lines are visible on the screen. Be it broadcast or dvd content the same lines appear against a dark scene.
The "Gorilla" glass does not sit perfectly flat against the front of the body of the tv in 2 of the 4 corners. If not careful it can be snagged with a cleaning cloth.
Panel sits 4mm lower on the left hand side (viewed from front). I have checked i have assembled the stand together the correct way. I am thinking of getting the Sony stand with the built in speakers, does anyone have any thoughts on the quality of sound it pumps out.

Also i wouldn't by it for the motionflow features either as my friends 3 yr old 100 hertz Sony handles fast paced sports such as Australian rules footbal much better than this one (yes i have tried different settings).

I have not contacted Sony re the above as it bothers me but the rest of the family think i am just being overtly anal about it. These minor issues are a pity as here in Australia the HX820 is not considered to be a "cheap" model.

Generally this is a great unit with very realistic colours, unfortunately the full potential of the unit is hamstrung by the rediculously low amount of full HD content offered by our free to air broadcasters.
I did all the research on this model as well as the Samsung 7 series and chose the Sony due to the picture quality seeming to apear more realistic than the Samsung plus i didn't entirely like the "plasticky" look of the other unit.
If anyone has any thoughts to offer on the above issues i would love to hear from you.
Thanks


I have the same problem with my 46hx820, vertical grey bars all over the screen, did you return for a replacement?

Thanks,
post #2208 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

CNET reviewed the new 2012 HX750 ( first of the 2012 models so far)

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...es#reviewPage1

Get's dinged for poor black levels, praised for color accuracy:

"Black luminance (0%) 0.02671 Poor "

"Color accuracy: The colors on the HX750 are some of the best we've seen on an LCD for some time."

Well that sucks for Sony...let's see if the 850 is any better
post #2209 of 2584
Well mine arrived today and wow is it pretty. One quick question that i had is that on the corners it seems the gorilla glass is sticking out a little. Is that normal?
post #2210 of 2584
Saw a HX750 for the 1st time today at Pacific Sales. Was looking for TV stands.
Looked pretty good although menus seemed a little slow but didnt play with it much at all. The screen appeared to be more matte like/greyish on the HX750 than the NX729 (plasma black like) when turned off

They didnt have the 850 yet

They said no store can give discounts on any of the new TVs as they received an email from Sony on the pricing model in place.

$1598 for the 750 in 46"
$2098 for the 850 in 46"

Still waiting to read a 850 review

For those of you who DO have a 750, can you tell me on the Amazon app you can log into your amazon account and if you have a Prime membership you can watch the free Prime members videos ?

Thanks
post #2211 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars009 View Post

Well mine arrived today and wow is it pretty. One quick question that i had is that on the corners it seems the gorilla glass is sticking out a little. Is that normal?

Mine does too...but as long as there is no light bleeding thru the sides or it doesnt keep getting worse in the next few months u should be good.
post #2212 of 2584
Hi

I got a 46HX820 on Sunday which has been great until today. I was just watching TV and these lines started to show up on the screen as per the pictures below.




Has anyone ever had this problem before?

I am in Australia and I think this model is about to be superseded. This was the last stock the retailer had. As such I cannot swap it for a new one with them and will need to contact Sony. I am hoping Sony will be able to replace it with new unit rather than refurb as it is only 5 days old.

Thanks
post #2213 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

Mine does too...but as long as there is no light bleeding thru the sides or it doesnt keep getting worse in the next few months u should be good.

So there should be no popping out at all then? I guess I haven't been able to find a TV to compare to. I've been playing Deus Ex for the past night on it and I haven't seen any bleeding or any creases at all, but the glass did throw me off a little bit. It's not like its coming right off it just sticks up on the corners and I only noticed it when I took the energy star sticker off
post #2214 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

CNET reviewed the new 2012 HX750 ( first of the 2012 models so far)

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...es#reviewPage1

Get's dinged for poor black levels, praised for color accuracy:

"Black luminance (0%) 0.02671 Poor "

"Color accuracy: The colors on the HX750 are some of the best we've seen on an LCD for some time."

Man, they only said 1 or 2 good things about that tv.. I sure hope Sony isnt trying to give people a tv more geared for online/social media because I have a feeling most people really dont have that much time to spend with a television.. Also, they are killing any hope of building a 3d fanbase by NEVER including glasses.. seriously, I can see people just buying a different tv just because they offer 1 or 2 free pair... I sure hope for a jump in quality levels for the hx850 because thats the newest/best Sony technology to date. Cnet pushing a tv $600 cheaper and say it outperforms the Sony in many areas is a bad start.
post #2215 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzarah View Post

Hi

I got a 46HX820 on Sunday which has been great until today. I was just watching TV and these lines started to show up on the screen as per the pictures below.




Has anyone ever had this problem before?

I am in Australia and I think this model is about to be superseded. This was the last stock the retailer had. As such I cannot swap it for a new one with them and will need to contact Sony. I am hoping Sony will be able to replace it with new unit rather than refurb as it is only 5 days old.

Thanks

That is weird looking.. When you hooked up your tv and placed it in that position was it like that from start??? Looks like between the pics you gave us there is a slight difference so maybe swap any kind of visual cord.. Try putting slight pressure on the glass on those parts and see if its the panel causing it.. Kind of looks like light reflecting.. Stupid question, any high powered LED lights, gizmos or knick knacks near the tv? I would take it back to ur retailer and get your money back, any decent retailer has atleast a 30 day money back program.
post #2216 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ View Post

Man, they only said 1 or 2 good things about that tv.. I sure hope Sony isnt trying to give people a tv more geared for online/social media because I have a feeling most people really dont have that much time to spend with a television.. Also, they are killing any hope of building a 3d fanbase by NEVER including glasses.. seriously, I can see people just buying a different tv just because they offer 1 or 2 free pair... I sure hope for a jump in quality levels for the hx850 because thats the newest/best Sony technology to date. Cnet pushing a tv $600 cheaper and say it outperforms the Sony in many areas is a bad start.

CNET did not review the HX820 last year. So am anxious to hear the review for the HX850 this year. Hopefully the HX850 fairs better than the HX750 did.
post #2217 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ View Post

That is weird looking.. When you hooked up your tv and placed it in that position was it like that from start??? Looks like between the pics you gave us there is a slight difference so maybe swap any kind of visual cord.. Try putting slight pressure on the glass on those parts and see if its the panel causing it.. Kind of looks like light reflecting.. Stupid question, any high powered LED lights, gizmos or knick knacks near the tv? I would take it back to ur retailer and get your money back, any decent retailer has atleast a 30 day money back program.

It was working fine for 5 days then just suddenly started when watching TV. I turned of every other device plugged in via the same power point and changed the power point the TV is plugged into incase there was interference of some sort. It happens on anything, component inputs, or free to air TV or the menu's of the TV.

Tried putting some pressue on the glass in those areas, didn't change anything. Looking closely there is also every 2nd/other horizontal line is black which also makes it looked washed out in addition to the green vertical lines.
post #2218 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzarah View Post

It was working fine for 5 days then just suddenly started when watching TV. I turned of every other device plugged in via the same power point and changed the power point the TV is plugged into incase there was interference of some sort. It happens on anything, component inputs, or free to air TV or the menu's of the TV.

Tried putting some pressue on the glass in those areas, didn't change anything. Looking closely there is also every 2nd/other horizontal line is black which also makes it looked washed out in addition to the green vertical lines.

Return it..get a full refund...and wait for this year's model or try some other brand like samsung or lg. I wouldn't recommend to try to get it repaired or get a refurbished tv as an exchange.
post #2219 of 2584
Get a new one, either new model or this. No refurbs!
post #2220 of 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

Return it..get a full refund...and wait for this year's model or try some other brand like samsung or lg. I wouldn't recommend to try to get it repaired or get a refurbished tv as an exchange.

Yep. We don't want it repaired or replaced with a refurb for a 5 day old unit. It's a real shame because we got this TV at real bargain, so waiting for the model would be much more expensive.

I really hope Sony can replace it with new stock but I doubt they'll have any. We found another retailer that has stock but it's $100 more, we might try to get Sony to cover that but again doubt they will.

Will post back here with the outcome.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)