or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Wonders of the Universe with Prof Cox
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wonders of the Universe with Prof Cox

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Just a heads up for those fans of "Wonders of the Solar System" with Professor Brian Cox.
His latest series, "Wonders of the Universe" which has been airing in the UK is finally coming to the US starting July 27th on the Science Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jliqg...el_video_title
post #2 of 14
I like his presentation style. He has a good feel for taking complex physics and explaining the theories in very low tech examples. I can't do the math, but I enjoy his series.
post #3 of 14
Bump. I enjoy his TV shows.
post #4 of 14
I missed the first show and it looks like they do not air any repeats.

Seems odd when they fill the entire freaking day with repeats of How it's Made and the like.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

I missed the first show and it looks like they do not air any repeats.

I have some good news for you. Yes, they do air repeats. The first episode ("Destiny") will be re-aired immediately following this week's episode ("Stardust"). On the Science HD Channel, the current episode airs Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 8 ET/7 CT and again at 11 ET/10 CT, with the prior week's episode immediately following each showing.

I missed last week's show too, but I've got both 1 and 2 scheduled to be recorded by DVR tomorrow night.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

I like his presentation style. He has a good feel for taking complex physics and explaining the theories in very low tech examples. I can't do the math, but I enjoy his series.

His style and screen presence are terrific. I haven't seen this series yet, but I loved his previous Wonders of the Solar System series.

His enthusiasm and child-like wonder at everything remind me of Carl Sagan. Cox's ability to make concepts in physics fun, interesting, and relatively easy to understand for laypersons, which is what was so remarkable about Sagan, makes me think he is this generation's likeliest successor to Sagan as an ambassador of science to young persons and the lay public. On the USA side of the pond, the closest person might be Neil de Grasse Tyson. As much as I like Tyson and find him immensely personable, however, I think Cox's boundless enthusiasm and charisma make him a real standout. You can't help but love the guy, and his bubbly enthusiasm is infectious.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

His style and screen presence are terrific. I haven't seen this series yet, but I loved his previous Wonders of the Solar System series.

His enthusiasm and child-like wonder at everything remind me of Carl Sagan. Cox's ability to make concepts in physics fun, interesting, and relatively easy to understand for laypersons, which is what was so remarkable about Sagan, makes me think he is this generation's likeliest successor to Sagan as an ambassador of science to young persons and the lay public. On the USA side of the pond, the closest person might be Neil de Grasse Tyson. As much as I like Tyson and find him immensely personable, however, I think Cox's boundless enthusiasm and charisma make him a real standout. You can't help but love the guy, and his bubbly enthusiasm is infectious.

I like Cox's on screen presence. Yeah, very Sagan like.

Tyson is too overbearing. Too, I know more than you. I really can't stand him. His whole attitude with the Pluto debate sealed it for me. Every time I heard him talk about it, it was always if you don't agree with me, you are an idiot. That got old. Disagree. Be defiant. Be confident. Don't be a jerk. He was a jerk. I won't listen to him now.
post #8 of 14
If this show comes anywhere near the quality of Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, it would be amazing and worth watching.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

If this show comes anywhere near the quality of Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, it would be amazing and worth watching.

Freeman's show is outstanding as well. I was thrilled to discover it this spring and am a devoted follower of it. I love his demeanor and obvious interest in the material. Cosmology is my favorite academic subject as a hobby, and this show is a very good one on the topic -- it also explores some other topics, like the nature of consciousness.

Cox's show is different in that he not only hosts, but he explains the science himself, as he is a physicist and university professor. He also happens to be telegenic and extremely charismatic. He doesn't have Freeman's magnificent voice, but then again, who does?
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

If this show comes anywhere near the quality of Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, it would be amazing and worth watching.

His previous show was excellent with good production values. The presentation is different from TTW and entertaining.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Cox's show is different in that he not only hosts, but he explains the science himself, as he is a physicist and university professor. He also happens to be telegenic and extremely charismatic. He doesn't have Freeman's magnificent voice, but then again, who does?

He was also in Brit pop band "D:Ream" believe it or not. They had a couple of hits this side of the pond. (Most famous was probably "Things can only get better").
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

He was also in Brit pop band "D:Ream" believe it or not. They had a couple of hits this side of the pond. (Most famous was probably "Things can only get better").

Thanks for that info. I knew he had been in a band, but didn't know they had hits. Can we all just admit we have a man-crush on the guy and get it over with?
post #13 of 14
Just a heads up for those fans of "Wonders of the Universe with Professor Cox."

Professor Brian Cox examines the story of life through physics in a major new series for BBC Two
Quote:
Brian Cox’s major new BBC2 series Wonders of Life - the follow-up to Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe - is to be co-produced by Chinese state television.

In the first arrangement of its kind between CCTV and the BBC Science Unit, Cox’s new show will air on CCTV-9, the Chinese state broadcaster’s documentary channel.

The co-production deal also covers another landmark series, Generation Earth, which examines the planet’s most ambitious engineering projects.

The five-part Wonders of Life is set to air here and in China in January 2013, with Generation Life – which is not presented by Cox – to follow in three instalments in 2013.

Wonders of Life is described by Cox as “a physicist’s take” on natural history and the story of life. It will, like Cox's previous series, feature spectacular locations from around the globe. Wonders of the Universe attracted more than six million viewers to BBC1 in 2011.

CCTV-9 channel director Liu Wen said: “The BBC is world-renowned for its factual programming, and we’ve had great success [showing] titles such as Human Planet and Frozen Planet, so we’re very pleased to be partnering with them on two ground-breaking new series.”

The BBC and CCTV have collaborated before: Wild China, known in China as Beautiful China, was a co-production by the BBC Natural History Unit and a CCTV production company.

Trailer:

Airing: January 2013, on BBC2 and BBC HD.

_______

I do not think a thread is needed since there won't be that many replies. I do not typically watch BBC2 or BBC-HD either.
post #14 of 14
My guess is that, like his two previous Wonders series, this will air on Science Channel in the US sometime in 2013.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Wonders of the Universe with Prof Cox