or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1) - Page 118

post #3511 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Welcome to the Pro community!

For starters, you don't need to type in the license key each time.  Simply save the key to a text file, and when you need the key, cut and paste it from the text file. 

Once the key has been loaded, you need to navigate the start-up screens until you get to the page where it is ready to take the first measurement.  At the bottom of the screen is a "Load Measurements" button.  Click this, browse to where you saved the measurements .DAT file, and select it.  Once the measurements have loaded, you will see at the top of the screen that the prompt has changed from "1st measurement position" to "9th measurement position" (if you saved 8 measurements).  Then click on the "Next" arrow, allow the filters to re-calculate, and then you will be at the point where you can customize the calibration in several ways:  you can change the crossover selections, choose a new target curve, or invoke the Target Editor.  Once you have completed the changes, save the results to the AVR and you are good to go.

Couple of additional tips:  you can't add more measurement to an existing measurements file (current known limitation, or bug, depending on your perspective).  And, you don't need to re-calibrate the subs--simply skip over that page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Saved measurements are .amd files and saved edited target curves are .csv files.
The sub distances and levels should be written down after doing the measurements. When loading saved measurements, i.e. NOT using the mic, you should check the distances/levels in the attached receiver/processor after completing and exiting Pro to verify they match the written data.
Jeff


Thanks guys,

If I didin't write down the sub distances, do I need to do an XT32 run and write down the distances and then reload the Pro results?? Or hook up the Pro mic??

BTW your instructions were spot on AustinJerry. The only thing I couldnt do was the cut/paste thing. I put the # in a word docment , but coulld not get it copy to the Pro program. But thats because I'm a computer moron.

Tom
post #3512 of 5250
BTW I made a copy of my certificate. I will try to attatch it to get your opinions. It set all my speakers to 70hz, except the center which was at 40hz. I changed it to 70hz. Is that OK??
post #3513 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Thanks guys,
If I didin't write down the sub distances, do I need to do an XT32 run and write down the distances and then reload the Pro results?? Or hook up the Pro mic??
BTW your instructions were spot on AustinJerry. The only thing I couldnt do was the cut/paste thing. I put the # in a word docment , but coulld not get it copy to the Pro program. But thats because I'm a computer moron.
Tom
When doing a calibration ... using the mic and measuring ... the distances and levels ARE transferred correctly to the attached receiver/processor. And *that* is when they should be written down. When LOADING previously done measurement date those pieces of info can ... go south. If your present calibration is one done with the mic, then the sub distances/levels are correct; write them down!

Jeff
post #3514 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Of course, .AMD files.  I was thinking of my REW measurement files.  Thanks for the correction, and the tip to write down the sub distances and trims.  Of anyone, I should have remembered that!

smile.gif

Well, I have the guide on my brain and all the attendant technicalities ... I hope to have some time to work on my curve editing section this weekend.

Jeff
post #3515 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

BTW I made a copy of my certificate. I will try to attatch it to get your opinions. It set all my speakers to 70hz, except the center which was at 40hz. I changed it to 70hz. Is that OK??

I certainly would try to have LCR all set the same. What are your speakers? (Sorry if you already listed them.) And what crossovers did Pro offer you?

Jeff
post #3516 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post


Thanks guys,
If I didin't write down the sub distances, do I need to do an XT32 run and write down the distances and then reload the Pro results?? Or hook up the Pro mic??
BTW your instructions were spot on AustinJerry. The only thing I couldnt do was the cut/paste thing. I put the # in a word docment , but coulld not get it copy to the Pro program. But thats because I'm a computer moron.
Tom

 

Glad to hear you are making progress.  As far as the key, highlight the key in Word, click the "Copy" icon in the toolbar, switch to the Pro app, place the cursor in the box where the key is entered, and simultaneously depress the SHIFT and INSERT keys (which does a "paste").

post #3517 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

BTW I made a copy of my certificate. I will try to attatch it to get your opinions. It set all my speakers to 70hz, except the center which was at 40hz. I changed it to 70hz. Is that OK??

I certainly would try to have LCR all set the same. What are your speakers? (Sorry if you already listed them.) And what crossovers did Pro offer you?

Jeff

also to the op, did you turn midrange compensation "off" by any chance?
post #3518 of 5250
Thanks again.
Fronts are Paradigm S2's. Center is Paradigm C3. Surrounds are Paradigm ADP's. Both Subs are SVS SB13-plus.
The Pro set all the speakers to 70hz except the center, which it set to 40hz. I changed it to match the fronts at 70hz.

I left the midrange compensation at the #1 choice. If I read the suggestions correctly that was the correct setting for a small/midsized room, which mine is.

AustinJerry, I read your first post and got back into the Audyssey Pro program and reloaded the results before I had writen down the sub distances. I guess I'll do a re-run and write them down this time.

Tom
post #3519 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Thanks again.
Fronts are Paradigm S2's. Center is Paradigm C3. Surrounds are Paradigm ADP's. Both Subs are SVS SB13-plus.
The Pro set all the speakers to 70hz except the center, which it set to 40hz. I changed it to match the fronts at 70hz.

That's good. Depending on your amp and space, I might have tried for 80Hz - if it was offered. But all at 70Hz is fine.
Quote:
I left the midrange compensation at the #1 choice. If I read the suggestions correctly that was the correct setting for a small/midsized room, which mine is.

Actually, you left the target curve at #1 and left the midcomp in the default "on" position. wink.gif
Quote:
AustinJerry, I read your first post and got back into the Audyssey Pro program and reloaded the results before I had writen down the sub distances. I guess I'll do a re-run and write them down this time.
Tom

Not AJ, but you are safest doing this and now you know.

Jeff
post #3520 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post


Also when I was registering on the Audyssey installer site I upgraded from the v2.2 software that came with my disc to the v3.6. They charged me $50. Should I have gotten it for free or is that the correct price??

 

Surely not?

 

Did you buy your kit secondhand - is that how it came with ver 2.2?

 

I didn't know they would charge for a software update - maybe going from ver 2.x to 3.x was a major step up?

 

If the $50 charge is right, it's a useful tip for anyone buying pre-owned kits - check the version of the s/w it comes with or you may be facing a hidden extra cost of 50 bucks.

post #3521 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

BTW I made a copy of my certificate. I will try to attatch it to get your opinions. It set all my speakers to 70hz, except the center which was at 40hz. I changed it to 70hz. Is that OK??

I certainly would try to have LCR all set the same. What are your speakers? (Sorry if you already listed them.) And what crossovers did Pro offer you?

Jeff

also to the op, did you turn midrange compensation "off" by any chance?

 

Why do you ask that, Chris?  Isn't that little dip on all his graphs (except sub) the MRC?

post #3522 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Surely not?

Did you buy your kit secondhand - is that how it came with ver 2.2?

I didn't know they would charge for a software update - maybe going from ver 2.x to 3.x was a major step up?

If the $50 charge is right, it's a useful tip for anyone buying pre-owned kits - check the version of the s/w it comes with or you may be facing a hidden extra cost of 50 bucks.

Yes, that is a major update and costs $$$. "Point releases", e.g. .1 or .2.2, etc, are free.
post #3523 of 5250
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

...AustinJerry, I read your first post and got back into the Audyssey Pro program and reloaded the results before I had writen down the sub distances. I guess I'll do a re-run and write them down this time. Tom
Correct. Note that the distances from your most recent calibration are stored and available to be viewed in your Processor:
In your menu, look for the Audyssey mic icon which designates Audyssey-Autosetup. Don't run Autosetup, instead chose:
Parameter Check. All distances, levels, xovers are there. BTW, these can be restored at any time using Restore. Also, when you alter them manually the alterations do not appear there.
post #3524 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Correct. Note that the distances from your most recent calibration are stored and available to be viewed in your Processor:
In your menu, look for the Audyssey mic icon which designates Audyssey-Autosetup. Don't run Autosetup, instead chose:
Parameter Check. All distances, levels, xovers are there. BTW, these can be restored at any time using Restore. Also, when you alter them manually the alterations do not appear there.

He already had reloaded a calibration, so they could be dodgy.
post #3525 of 5250
Thread Starter 
I was hoping my "Correct" validation of his intention to rerun would be clear on that. But good that you brought attention to the fact that the rest of my post was FYI for the OP's future reference after he completes a fresh Pro cal.

The importance and utility of going into that portion of the menu and writing down the values (as well as any altered values under Manual settings) cannot be overstated.

For Denon AVR's, doing a Network "Save" is also very worthwhile as it stores all processor settings and the Audyssey calibration on your computer HD. It's much faster and easier to Network "Load" a prior Pro calibration than to fire up Pro and reload a saved Pro file.
post #3526 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

For Denon AVR's, doing a Network "Save" is also very worthwhile as it stores all processor settings and the Audyssey calibration on your computer HD. It's much faster and easier to Network "Load" a prior Pro calibration than to fire up Pro and reload a saved Pro file.

Agreed, that is a very nice feature!
post #3527 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

I was hoping my "Correct" validation of his intention to rerun would be clear on that.

"reloaded the results before I had writen down"

??
post #3528 of 5250
Thread Starter 
Jeff, what am I missing here?

The valid readings he'll want to write down are not in there now. They will only be in there only after he "completes a fresh Pro cal" (meaning starting from scratch with all new mic positions and no reloading of old data).

Now that I'm thinking of it (again), what I've done in the same spot is to pull out the std Audyssey mic and do a std XT32 calibration of just FR/L speakers and the subs. I use "check results" to view sub distance and level and write those down. I then cancel the calibration, leaving the prior Pro cal in place. I then manually reset the sub values.
post #3529 of 5250
In my experience, the values from a standard calibration are usually somewhat different than the values from a Pro calibration. Not significantly different, but different nevertheless. If you want to be accurate, a new calibration is the way to go.
post #3530 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post


The importance and utility of going into that portion of the menu and writing down the values (as well as any altered values under Manual settings) cannot be overstated.
 

 

I take a photo of the screen with my iPhone. Real easy, and I know I will easily be able to find the settings again when I need them.

post #3531 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

For Denon AVR's, doing a Network "Save" is also very worthwhile as it stores all processor settings and the Audyssey calibration on your computer HD. It's much faster and easier to Network "Load" a prior Pro calibration than to fire up Pro and reload a saved Pro file.

Agreed, that is a very nice feature!

Isn't it just. I wish Onkyos had that.

post #3532 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

In my experience, the values from a standard calibration are usually somewhat different than the values from a Pro calibration. Not significantly different, but different nevertheless. If you want to be accurate, a new calibration is the way to go.

I decided to do a new Audyssey Pro run. I tweaked the mic positions. I think I had the mic too close to my couch on my first run, and did a couple measurements behind the couch this time. Sounds really good. Crossovers seem more in line with what I used to get with Anthem/ARC readings.

I do have a question though. What is the difference between the 'movie' and 'music' setting?? To my ears my music (2-channel balanced from Oppo 105) sounds better in 'movie'. I realize all the differnt settings and resulting audio are subjective and mine to choose whichever I like best. Just wondering what different filtering they apply to the 'music' setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Correct. Note that the distances from your most recent calibration are stored and available to be viewed in your Processor:
In your menu, look for the Audyssey mic icon which designates Audyssey-Autosetup. Don't run Autosetup, instead chose:
Parameter Check. All distances, levels, xovers are there. BTW, these can be restored at any time using Restore. Also, when you alter them manually the alterations do not appear there.

So after I re-ran Pro and uploaded it to my 80.3 I went into the set-up>speakers>distances, and checked the sub distances (and wrote them down this time). Are the distances in the 'parameter check' different and/or more accurate??

Tom
post #3533 of 5250
The Music setting and the Movie setting differ by degree of high-frequency roll-off. The music setting is less aggressive in the roll-off. Nothing wrong with preferring the Cinema setting for music. On a Denon AVR, these are called "Audyssey Flat" and "Audyssey", respectively, which IMO are little more descriptive.

The Parameter Check area is where the AVR stores the values of the most recent calibration. For example, if you decide to experiment with subwoofer trims, but later want to return to the original post-calibration values, you can look in Parameter Check to make sure you remember the settings. This screen also has a "Restore" button to quickly reset all parameters to the post-calibration values, if things get really messed up.
post #3534 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Quote:
I do have a question though. What is the difference between the 'movie' and 'music' setting?? To my ears my music (2-channel balanced from Oppo 105) sounds better in 'movie'. I realize all the differnt settings and resulting audio are subjective and mine to choose whichever I like best. Just wondering what different filtering they apply to the 'music' setting.

From the Audyssey FAQ:

 

a)7.   What are the Audyssey 'Movie' and 'Music' curves?

post #3535 of 5250
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I take a photo of the screen with my iPhone. Real easy, and I know I will easily be able to find the settings again when I need them.
Well I used to paint the settings on the man-cave wall with blood from the day's kill, so I thought I was pretty hip using quill and parchment. What is this photoiPhone of which you speak?wink.gif
post #3536 of 5250
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

...So after I re-ran Pro and uploaded it to my 80.3 I went into the set-up>speakers>distances, and checked the sub distances (and wrote them down this time). Are the distances in the 'parameter check' different and/or more accurate??Tom

At that point those settings under "setup" were identical to the ones under 'parameter check'. Basically the difference is that you can alter the ones under Manual "setup", unlike the ones under 'parameter check' (the latter is apermanent and restorable record of the last Autosetup settings).

In the manual setup submenu you may go in and tweak channel levels, for ex., if you want the subs louder. And for the sophisticated and adventurous, you may also tweak speaker/sub distances to smooth the FR of sub/satellite transition. And the processor will apply those tweaks to all sound modes. (I am a Denon guy so the Onkyo Menu exact terminology may be slightly different, but the concept is the same.)
post #3537 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Jeff, what am I missing here?
The valid readings he'll want to write down are not in there now. They will only be in there only after he "completes a fresh Pro cal" (meaning starting from scratch with all new mic positions and no reloading of old data).
Now that I'm thinking of it (again), what I've done in the same spot is to pull out the std Audyssey mic and do a std XT32 calibration of just FR/L speakers and the subs. I use "check results" to view sub distance and level and write those down. I then cancel the calibration, leaving the prior Pro cal in place. I then manually reset the sub values.

It might be me missing something. I thought you were saying he could look at his current calibration in the AVR and write down the distances/levels ... after he had said he reloaded a cal before reading here that they settings could be wrong at that point.

Your above post has it right, but is different than what I was thinking you were saying.

So, I must have misunderstood. smile.gif

Good idea on a down-and-dirty, minimum measurement run to get the correct numbers.
post #3538 of 5250
Thread Starter 
^ Cool, we're on the same page then.smile.gif
post #3539 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I take a photo of the screen with my iPhone. Real easy, and I know I will easily be able to find the settings again when I need them.
Well I used to paint the settings on the man-cave wall with blood from the day's kill, so I thought I was pretty hip using quill and parchment. What is this photoiPhone of which you speak?wink.gif

 

:)  In these days of integrated components it would be nice to have a Print Page option in the AVR menus so we could just hit that and send the info wirelessly to our printers. If we can have fridges connected to the internet I don't see why this would be a problem. It'd be a darn site more useful than another 15 unused DSPs or whatever...

post #3540 of 5250
^^^^

Good idea Keith. You can get some of it via the web interface but it would be nice to do this directly from the AVR.

You volunteering to do the network support if this feature ever arrives? tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1)