it is. It is in the cable assembly.
- 24,227 Posts. Joined 7/2002
- Location: Quintana Roo ... SOON!
- Thumbs Up: 58
- Select All Posts By This User
it is. It is in the cable assembly.
Yes, I am in error. I am looking at the cable right now, and the RS232 end of the cable clearly has a small circuit board and chip inside the plastic housing. I definitely would contact Audyssey. They will want to change cable supplier if this is a new and repeatable problem.
The receny update was specifically to address compatibility with a new AVR, and to correct a serious bug with the serial data rate on the 4520. If there were any other bug fixes, Audyssey did not say. I know by my own recent testing that the two-sub issue has not been addressed.
It's hard to say what level of attention Audyssey is paying to the Pro software. I don't think it contributes to their bottom line, so it's hard to believe that they have a lot of incentive to fix the current bugs (which they believe to be minor, with reasonable work-arounds), or add new functionality. Just my opinion...
Edit: I see no reason to re-calibrate if you are satisfied with what you have now.
No disrespect, Jeff, but whether we call it a bug or not is not what concerns me. There are three issues that I have reported to Audyssey since my purchase of a 4311 in October, 2010.
The first issue was not being able to save a measurement file, reload it, and add additional measurements. Audyssey's response, which I reported here, was that resource limitations imposed on Audyssey by the AVR manufacturers no longer allowed this functionality. Audyssey specifically stated that re-loading measurements could only be used to adjust results, e.g. selecting different crossovers, using the curve editor, etc.
The second issue, which I believe to be unrelated (but may in fact be related) is that when a measurement file is reloaded, the subsequent save back to the AVR results in incorrect settings for distance and trim on Sub2. Audyssey's response was to simply re-enter the correct distance and trim values after the calibration was completed. This has been discussed many times here in the thread, and we have all been advised to write down our sub settings before re-loading a measurement file.
The third issue, which affected only my 4311, and which has not been widely reported by any other users, is that the Pro software did not calculate the distance for Sub2 correctly. I documented this in this thread after upgrading to the 4520, and reported it to Ask Audyssey as well. In my initial report, I provided evidence of four separate calibrations, a standard calibration as well as a Pro calibration on both the 4311 and the 4520, all other things being kept constant. In three of the calibrations (standard on both AVR's, and Pro on the 4520), the Sub2 distance was set to 3.5 feet, which is the actual distance. On the Pro calibration for the 4311, the Sub2 distance was set to 11 feet (consistently, over many Pro calibrations), which is wrong. Chris' response: as far as we know, Pro calibrations on the 4311 are working as designed. No explanation why the 4520 results were different (and IMO correct).
So, when I made my statement that I don't think Audyssey is paying much attention to the Pro software, it is because because of how I perceive the three issues have been handled. For the first and second issues, if Audyssey was aware of these during the development of XT32/SubEQ HT, then I believe they should have advised their user base of the limitations ahead of time. If they weren't aware of the issues, then it points to negligence in product testing in advance of the release.
For the third issue, I was not pleased with Chris' response, which I considered a brush-off. Since I had upgraded to the 4520 and was no longer using the 4311 in a two-sub configuration, I didn't press for a better answer.
Even with the 4520 serial data transfer rate (which was also reported to me to Ask Audyssey), Chris' response was that the Pro software could not be the root cause of the issue--it had to be Denon's fault. Only after I reported the issue to Denon, and Denon subsequently contacted Audyssey to work on the problem together, did I receive acknowledgment that "a resolution was being worked on". Never did I get an admission from Audyssey that their software was the root cause, or an apology from Chris for his initial response. But the "fix" was an update to the Pro software, so that seems to be an admission that Pro was the root cause.
My disappointment is that Audyssey has not been forthcoming with honest communication with us, the Pro community, even though we are probably their most ardent supporters. I'm done now.
:) That nicely encapsulates what has been my own vague feeling for some time. They do seem to be more interested in 'products' these days, not one of which has the slightest relevance or interest to me. The lack of documentation for Pro is unforgivable IMO. And the actual errors in the on line 'instructions' even more so. If it wasn't for this thread, some users would not be able to get Pro running *at all*.