or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1) - Page 125

post #3721 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post


sitting on the runway waiting for a gate. Never pays to arrive early. I do have all of my files and screencaps along and hope to be able to finish that tutorial while hear.

Dropped my 5508 at the repair center last night before heading to an airport hotel. They said they are two weeks before it is even assigned to a tech. Bummer.

Jeff

 Thinking the repair of my DHC-80.2 would take a long time, and I would be without, I purchased a DHC-80.3. The DHC-80.2 took only five days. (At the Regional Service Ctr., in Huntington Beach, CA)

 

:)  Which one are you going to keep? 

post #3722 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Ah - you're on the way there, not back.... you are, Jeff, as we Limeys say "a jammy b&$t&rd: smile.gif  Enjoy!

Heh, jam on this. This is the view from breakfast. tongue.gif

post #3723 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Ah - you're on the way there, not back.... you are, Jeff, as we Limeys say "a jammy b&$t&rd: smile.gif  Enjoy!

Heh, jam on this. This is the view from breakfast. tongue.gif

 

 

You know how to hurt, Jeff ;)

post #3724 of 5281
Bonjour,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Heh, jam on this. This is the view from breakfast. tongue.gif


You know how to hurt, Jeff wink.gif

Oh yes... wink.gif as it's snowing here... so enjoy.

Amts,

Hugo
post #3725 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo S View Post

Bonjour,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Heh, jam on this. This is the view from breakfast. tongue.gif


You know how to hurt, Jeff wink.gif

Oh yes... wink.gif as it's snowing here... so enjoy.

Amts,

Hugo

 

Yes - this is what much of England looks like right now:

 

 

post #3726 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I believe you can use the MAC address as well.  Did you try that?  Otherwise, contact Audyssey for assistance.  And yes, you need to buy before you can activate...



All I've ever used was the MAC address.

Jeff
post #3727 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

 

:)  Which one are you going to keep? 

    Likely both, I am too lazy to take the 80.3 back out of the rack. (I have boxed a 9.9, 80.1 & now the 80.2 in the corner of a spare room) I am however, disappointed
that I no longer have the cassette tape input and have to use external switching for yet another device.

post #3728 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

 

:)  Which one are you going to keep? 

    Likely both, I am too lazy to take the 80.3 back out of the rack. (I have boxed a 9.9, 80.1 & now the 80.2 in the corner of a spare room) I am however, disappointed
that I no longer have the cassette tape input and have to use external switching for yet another device.

 

Cassettes... wow!  I remember those :)  In fact I still have a Yakamichi cassette deck in the attic - it is too beautiful for me to throw away, although I will never, ever use it again. I had a Revox reel machine too but sold that for a good price many years ago.

post #3729 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Cassettes... wow!  I remember those smile.gif  In fact I still have a Yakamichi cassette deck in the attic - it is too beautiful for me to throw away, although I will never, ever use it again. I had a Revox reel machine too but sold that for a good price many years ago.

You probably mean Nakamichi? I've got a three head cassette deck in storage too. Started out with my dad's Sony reel to reel back in the '60s.
post #3730 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Cassettes... wow!  I remember those smile.gif  In fact I still have a Yakamichi cassette deck in the attic - it is too beautiful for me to throw away, although I will never, ever use it again. I had a Revox reel machine too but sold that for a good price many years ago.

You probably mean Nakamichi? I've got a three head cassette deck in storage too. Started out with my dad's Sony reel to reel back in the '60s.

 

Of course!  Nakamichi. No room EQ in those days - just Dolby Noise Reduction :)  I can't believe, looking back, how ignorant I was and how much money I spent/wasted. Never-ending 'upgrading' of equipment. Nobody told me the ROOM is the most important component in the system - no mag ever mentioned it, there were no forums, the hi-fi shops just wanted to get their hand in your pocket, reviewers all had 'golden ears', nobody measured anything significant, THD was God and so on. Kids these days, they don't know they're born huh? LOL! biggrin.gif

post #3731 of 5281
No, no audyssey. Dolby C was quite an invention though and I dubbed many CDs to cassettes and they sounded remarkably good considering the size and speed of the tape. Now I put all my CDs on hard disk, quite an improvement over tape.
post #3732 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

No, no audyssey. Dolby C was quite an invention though and I dubbed many CDs to cassettes and they sounded remarkably good considering the size and speed of the tape. Now I put all my CDs on hard disk, quite an improvement over tape.

 

Yes - I used to use chrome tapes (BASF I think) and was always amazed that a tape moving at 1 & 7/8 inches per second could sound any good at all, but they weren't too bad. I copy to HD too these days - much more convenient.

post #3733 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

 

Cassettes... wow!  I remember those :)  In fact I still have a Yakamichi cassette deck in the attic - it is too beautiful for me to throw away, although I will never, ever use it again. I had a Revox reel machine too but sold that for a good price many years ago.

    Being retired, I found the time to get my Pio CT-93 back into service. (Parts were a little hard to come by) ~20 years ago, I liked to listen to a PBS radio broadcast that came on @ 1AM & lasted till 3AM. I needed to be at work @ 7AM,
so I recorded the audio onto my SL-HF1000 Beta tape machine (It could record for two hours) & later copy the program (Only the music) to my cassette tapes. Actually it is amazing that those old tapes sound so good on my current HT sound system. (Sorry for being OT)

post #3734 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

 

Cassettes... wow!  I remember those :)  In fact I still have a Yakamichi cassette deck in the attic - it is too beautiful for me to throw away, although I will never, ever use it again. I had a Revox reel machine too but sold that for a good price many years ago.

    Being retired, I found the time to get my Pio CT-93 back into service. (Parts were a little hard to come by) ~20 years ago, I liked to listen to a PBS radio broadcast that came on @ 1AM & lasted till 3AM. I needed to be at work @ 7AM,
so I recorded the audio onto my SL-HF1000 Beta tape machine (It could record for two hours) & later copy the program (Only the music) to my cassette tapes. Actually it is amazing that those old tapes sound so good on my current HT sound system. (Sorry for being OT)

 

Post-cassette I did record from the FM radio onto VHS tapes, in stereo. They did sound pretty good.

post #3735 of 5281
Anybody that had the Advent Dolby B noise reduction had a Tom Holman-designed product.

Jeff
post #3736 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Post-cassette I did record from the FM radio onto VHS tapes, in stereo. They did sound pretty good.

Yes I did some audio only recording using VHS too, thought it might be nice to have a 6 hour recording that didn't require attention every 45 minutes. I didn't keep up with it though. I believe VHS Hi-Fi used DBX noise reduction. I even had a couple of DBX records that required a DBX decoder which I had picked up cheap.
Edited by Theresa - 1/14/13 at 1:36pm
post #3737 of 5281
I realize that this is off topic, but have tried the classified section.

Anyone wanting to sell a Pro calibration kit, please PM me.

Thank you very much

Fury
post #3738 of 5281
There is a local guy trying to sell a Audyssey Calibration Kit for the DIY. He claims that it is not the Pro kit but the DIY Kit? I thought all Audyssey sold was the Pro Kit and he said that he paid 550 for it from Magnolia HIFi. I was going to buy and agreed on price and he was to deliver then he tried to jack the price up and I refused to buy. Anybody interested http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451432/audyssey-calibration-kit.
post #3739 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

There is a local guy trying to sell a Audyssey Calibration Kit for the DIY. He claims that it is not the Pro kit but the DIY Kit? I thought all Audyssey sold was the Pro Kit and he said that he paid 550 for it from Magnolia HIFi. I was going to buy and agreed on price and he was to deliver then he tried to jack the price up and I refused to buy. Anybody interested http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451432/audyssey-calibration-kit.

 

His link is to the Audyssey Pro kit that most of us in this thread use. I woud proceed with caution though - he says "You don't need to pay to use the software unless you choose to store your data online and print charts" and that is not true. In addition to the price of the kit itself, you have to buy a $150 licence to be able to use it. This allows you to make calibrations for ever but is tied to one specific AVR/AVP. If he has used the kit himself he must know this and must have paid it. When you pay the licence fee, you get a Key which is linked to your AVR's MAC address. You have to enter the Key into the software every time you use it. Keys are valid for one month but can be renewed indefinitely at no extra charge.

post #3740 of 5281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

There is a local guy trying to sell a Audyssey Calibration Kit for the DIY. He claims that it is not the Pro kit but the DIY Kit? I thought all Audyssey sold was the Pro Kit and he said that he paid 550 for it from Magnolia HIFi. I was going to buy and agreed on price and he was to deliver then he tried to jack the price up and I refused to buy. Anybody interested http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451432/audyssey-calibration-kit.
The pic appears to be of a standard Pro kit. The same kit is used by professionals and by us "DIY"ers. It doesn't matter as Audyssey registers your kit to you on their website and treats you like an installer. For ex., Audyssey (Luke) provides CS even though you are DIY.

So if you may still want to pursue this deal, to assure yourself , I suggest you check things out a bit more by asking him for the serial number of the kit (on the mic box) so you can check with Audyssey as to the FW version. email that info to Luke. Older kits may require a paid upgrade-if this is from the past few years it won't. IMO 325 is a bargain, especially delivered, if all is in order.
post #3741 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

The pic appears to be of a standard Pro kit. The same kit is used by professionals and by us "DIY"ers.

I am confused about this also. Audyssey states the DIY kit can only do 6 -8 listening positions instead of 32 among other restrictions. That info is at the bottom of the page linked below.

http://www.audyssey.com/installers
post #3742 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

The pic appears to be of a standard Pro kit. The same kit is used by professionals and by us "DIY"ers.

I am confused about this also. Audyssey states the DIY kit can only do 6 -8 listening positions instead of 32 among other restrictions. That info is at the bottom of the page linked below.

http://www.audyssey.com/installers

In the context used on that web page, "do it yourself" refers to the consumer MultEq included with the AVR.
post #3743 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

In the context used on that web page, "do it yourself" refers to the consumer MultEq included with the AVR.

Thanks. smile.gif
post #3744 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

The pic appears to be of a standard Pro kit. The same kit is used by professionals and by us "DIY"ers.

I am confused about this also. Audyssey states the DIY kit can only do 6 -8 listening positions instead of 32 among other restrictions. That info is at the bottom of the page linked below.

http://www.audyssey.com/installers

 

It's badly written. They mean regular 'consumer' MultEQ can only do 6 or 8. The Pro kit we are all using can do 32.

post #3745 of 5281
Thamks all. yeah, saw that and posted, but lack of clarity is a non-starter, even though it may be the best deal ever. Question though, regarding purchasing a used kit, which still has interest. Does the license get the end user to Luke, as well as the purchase of a new kit. Dealer cost is $400 or so, retai l$550. Anyone selling a used kit?

Thank you very much

fury
post #3746 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury View Post

Thamks all. yeah, saw that and posted, but lack of clarity is a non-starter, even though it may be the best deal ever. Question though, regarding purchasing a used kit, which still has interest. Does the license get the end user to Luke, as well as the purchase of a new kit. Dealer cost is $400 or so, retai l$550. Anyone selling a used kit?

Thank you very much

fury

When you sell a kit, you notify Audyssey and give the name of the new buyer and Audyssey releases the kit number to the new buyer when the new buyer registers. I have sold one in the past and that is what I had to do. The new buyer has to buy a new license for the kit.
post #3747 of 5281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury View Post

Thamks all. yeah, saw that and posted, but lack of clarity is a non-starter, even though it may be the best deal ever. Question though, regarding purchasing a used kit, which still has interest. Does the license get the end user to Luke, as well as the purchase of a new kit. Dealer cost is $400 or so, retai l$550. Anyone selling a used kit?

Thank you very much

fury

The guy never registered the Kit so I'm going to make him a offer. He did send me full pics and everythinbg is there in the kit as well as the mic number. So if the deal flies I will just register it as new.
post #3748 of 5281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

When you sell a kit, you notify Audyssey and give the name of the new buyer and Audyssey releases the kit number to the new buyer when the new buyer register
Good point, now that you reminded me, that's exactly what had to happen when I bought my used kit.

....The new buyer has to buy a new license for the kit.

I know you know this but just to clarify to the OP, there is no "new license for the kit." You register the kit, which is free. Then will have to purchase a license for the unit you're calibrating, which costs $150, in order to be able to use the kit to do a calibration on that unit.
post #3749 of 5281
Once the kit has been purchased, it costs nothing to admire the impressive case, boom mic stand and vibrant red mini XLR cables.

Jeff
Edited by pepar - 1/24/13 at 8:41pm
post #3750 of 5281
Hi SOM,

There are a some pieces that Audyssey has licensed, however, through the manufacturer, such as Wisdom, that do not require the $150 fee.

Thank you very much

Fury
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1)