or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1) - Page 157

post #4681 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I recently restored settings to my my Marantz 8801. The settings that were stored in the Marantz had equal sub distances. However my saved settings from the Marantz web page (IP address) were correct.

 

 

Sorry, I don't see the point you are making.

post #4682 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post


You missed the point of my original post, Jeff.  Since the Pro software timed out while it was saving the filters to the AVR, I never had the chance to view and record the distance and trim settings for the sub channels.  No one is disputing that it is an AVR resource limitation that re-loading saved settings will not contain correct sub distance and trim settings, but it is not relevant to my report to Audyssey.

I saw that. But then Keith teed off on the "record the trim and distance settings the first time the measurements are taken" issue separately from your issue of "throwing" an error and failing to get to that point.

Jeff
Edited by pepar - 9/15/13 at 4:06pm
post #4683 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I saw that. But then Keith teed off on the "record the trim and distance settings the first time the measurements are taken" issue separately from your issue of "throwing" an error and failing to get to that point.

Jeff

Keith, control yourself! wink.gif
post #4684 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post


Sorry, I don't see the point you are making.
The AVR made the same error as Audyssey pro does in its restoration of the pro settings. The sub distances were identical.

Stored settings on my computer that we were saved by the Marantz protocol from its web page and then restored we correct. The sub distances were different and were what i got from my Pro calibration. This suggests that the issue with the sub distances is indeed an AVR resource error. It also suggests that with proper protocols it could be solved.
post #4685 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Their response "Unfortunately the only fix for the incorrect sub2 values in loaded measurements is to record the trim and distance settings the first time the measurements are taken" really, really winds me up. No, you idiots at Audyssey - this is not the ONLY fix. There is always the proper fix which is for them to find the damn bug and sort it out!  Clearly, they have no intention of doing that or they would not reply that way.

According to what I was told by Chris, and subsequently posted here, it is either (I forget which now) the manifacturers' policy or (more likely, IIRC) a hardware limitation that PREVENTS Audyssy from storing and loading sub distances. I will have time to search my posts and emails later for the exact info. There is a lot to be aggravated about, but IMO *this* should be dropped from the list. They have hit the wall on what they can effect.

Jeff

 

I find it really, really hard to believe that my laptop is so limited in performance capability that it cannot process and store delays and levels for the second sub. In fact, Jeff, I don't find it hard to believe - I just  don't believe it.  If the problem was something to do with the AVR storing the numbers, I could just about believe that. Again it's hard to believe because the AVR does no processing with P`ro - it just stores the result. Even if the latter is true, there is no good reason I can see why the laptop cannot compute the data for the second sub, allowing us to enter it manually if the AVR really was so poor that it couldn't manage it itself. 

 

So if that is what they told you, IMO it makes it even worse because I see no way it can be true. If I can load the delays and levels manually, then that is proof that the AVR can store them. And as I say, the AVR doesn't need to crunch the data.  All the evidence points to one inescapable conclusion for me: they can't be bothered.

post #4686 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I find it really, really hard to believe that my laptop is so limited in performance capability that it cannot process and store delays and levels for the second sub. In fact, Jeff, I don't find it hard to believe - I just  don't believe it.  If the problem was something to do with the AVR storing the numbers, I could just about believe that. Again it's hard to believe because the AVR does no processing with P`ro - it just stores the result. Even if the latter is true, there is no good reason I can see why the laptop cannot compute the data for the second sub, allowing us to enter it manually if the AVR really was so poor that it couldn't manage it itself. 

So if that is what they told you, IMO it makes it even worse because I see no way it can be true. If I can load the delays and levels manually, then that is proof that the AVR can store them. And as I say, the AVR doesn't need to crunch the data.  All the evidence points to one inescapable conclusion for me: they can't be bothered.

Keith, the context is the manufacturers of the units getting calibrated, not the PC running MultEQ Pro. It is a limitation of the manufacturers of the units getting calibrated - either a policy decision or a hardware limitation - that AMD files do not store the the trims and distances of two subs. Not stored = not loaded. This was discussed nearly a year ago and you were involved in the discussion. What you took away from it, forgot or just refused to believe, well I don't know.

I had time to find a related post where I tried to interpret why Chris' explanation didn't get very technical. Post #3249 -

"We have bumped into situations before where Audyssey's relationship with their licensees "complicated" Chris' freedom to explain certain things. And, of course, he couldn't explain further why he ... couldn't explain further. I think this sub distance/level settings not being saved in AMD files might be one of those situations."

For me, anyway, this thread has run its course. I don't recall the last time anyone came here for help, and I can't help people that are bumping into this limitation (limitation, not a bug) or communications errors (BUGS!) like AustinJerry.. I understand the frustration and the legitimate complaints, but Pro works fine for me, there's no one here I can help and I have become interested in other topics on AVS. If someone has a question that they think I could help with, PM me and I'll do what can.

Jeff
post #4687 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

For me, anyway, this thread has run its course. I don't recall the last time anyone came here for help, and I can't help people that are bumping into this limitation (limitation, not a bug) or communications errors (BUGS!) like AustinJerry.. I understand the frustration and the legitimate complaints, but Pro works fine for me, there's no one here I can help and I have become interested in other topics on AVS. If someone has a question that they think I could help with, PM me and I'll do what can.
Jeff

Not sure I disagree with you given your experience, but AJ's comm error and some other issues that have been cited with Windows 8 in the last three or so months show that a dedicated thread js still meaningful as a resource to future users, or anyone recalibrating using a newer PC.

Even though this thread is often another location of the floating chat room with the usual suspects LOL....

OTOH, outside of the burst of enthusiasm for Pro through last summer - give or take - IMO there's been relatively few new users coming on-board with the Denon 4520 or X4000s, or the newer Onkyo or Marantz units with Pro capability, compared to the iconic Denon 4311 many of us own, or Keith's Onkyo. It may just be that Pro itself has run its course as 'icing on the cake'.

It's also not literally true that there's no more Pro software support: you can still generate fresh license keys and buy new licenses..tongue.gif
Edited by sdrucker - 9/16/13 at 8:58am
post #4688 of 5250
Well, FWIW, I still sell a lot of the kits. Rarely see those people posting here.
post #4689 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I find it really, really hard to believe that my laptop is so limited in performance capability that it cannot process and store delays and levels for the second sub. In fact, Jeff, I don't find it hard to believe - I just  don't believe it.  If the problem was something to do with the AVR storing the numbers, I could just about believe that. Again it's hard to believe because the AVR does no processing with P`ro - it just stores the result. Even if the latter is true, there is no good reason I can see why the laptop cannot compute the data for the second sub, allowing us to enter it manually if the AVR really was so poor that it couldn't manage it itself. 

So if that is what they told you, IMO it makes it even worse because I see no way it can be true. If I can load the delays and levels manually, then that is proof that the AVR can store them. And as I say, the AVR doesn't need to crunch the data.  All the evidence points to one inescapable conclusion for me: they can't be bothered.

Keith, the context is the manufacturers of the units getting calibrated, not the PC running MultEQ Pro. It is a limitation of the manufacturers of the units getting calibrated - either a policy decision or a hardware limitation - that AMD files do not store the the trims and distances of two subs. Not stored = not loaded. This was discussed nearly a year ago and you were involved in the discussion. What you took away from it, forgot or just refused to believe, well I don't know.

I had time to find a related post where I tried to interpret why Chris' explanation didn't get very technical. Post #3249 -

"We have bumped into situations before where Audyssey's relationship with their licensees "complicated" Chris' freedom to explain certain things. And, of course, he couldn't explain further why he ... couldn't explain further. I think this sub distance/level settings not being saved in AMD files might be one of those situations."

For me, anyway, this thread has run its course. I don't recall the last time anyone came here for help, and I can't help people that are bumping into this limitation (limitation, not a bug) or communications errors (BUGS!) like AustinJerry.. I understand the frustration and the legitimate complaints, but Pro works fine for me, there's no one here I can help and I have become interested in other topics on AVS. If someone has a question that they think I could help with, PM me and I'll do what can.

Jeff

 

I don't follow, Jeff. All the crunching for Pro is done on the laptop. I refuse to believe that a modern laptop cannot crunch for 2 subs. Once crunched, the data is simply transferred to the AVR. I know the AVR can hold the data for two subs, delay and level, because mine does. So where's the problem come in?  The reality is that the data for the second sub is not even on the laptop. That is why it cannot be transferred to the AVR. It isn't there. So whose fault is that?  Audyssey's?  It's a BUG. One they acknowledge but won’t fix.

 

Does XT32 calibrate the delays and distances for 2 subs correctly? I can't recall as it so long since I have used consumer MultEq. Jerry?

post #4690 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Well, FWIW, I still sell a lot of the kits. Rarely see those people posting here.

 

Have they all got just one sub?  or have they not spotted yet that the second sub is not calibrated correctly?

post #4691 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
 
 
It's also not literally true that there's no more Pro software support: you can still generate fresh license keys and buy new licenses..tongue.gif

 

Yeah - they are still pretty good at taking the money.

post #4692 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Well, FWIW, I still sell a lot of the kits. Rarely see those people posting here.

Certainly possible - we're a bit of a self-selected group...or maybe "committed" is more like it... cool.gif It's easy to forget that when Pro software works as it's supposed to, you're still getting a better calibration result, or at least a more adjustable one, with it than without. Even though I agree with Keith on the processing issue with two independently connected subs being an artificial restriction given modern computing power, vs. the results being stored in an AVR. It wouldn't have been particularly hard to ask users to write down distance and trim in the file for a multiple sub setup, and add it back in manually on the AVR once the result has been saved to the unit.

There's also a certain amount of hothouse effect...from reading AVS, a year ago you'd think that AVRs with Audyssey XT32 were becoming dominant, and Pioneer was a dying brand due to the lack of sub EQ in its MCACC...whether or not the marketplace represents that as "reality" is subjective. Not sure you'd get the same feeling if you were to read, say, Audioholics, one of the BluRay forums, or HTS.

And to keep some perspective, there's really only a handful of us, even among AVSers with Audyssey (consumer, let alone Pro), that have moved "beyond" Audyssey to REW measurement and looking at more intensive treatments and/or complimentary electronic RC (e.g. use with AntiMode or BFD) approaches.
Edited by sdrucker - 9/16/13 at 9:57am
post #4693 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Well, FWIW, I still sell a lot of the kits. Rarely see those people posting here.

Certainly possible - we're a bit of a self-selected group...or maybe "committed" is more like it... cool.gif It's easy to forget that when Pro software works as it's supposed to, you're still getting a better calibration result, or at least a more adjustable one, with it than without. Even though I agree with Keith on the processing issue with two independently connected subs.

There's also a certain amount of hothouse effect...from reading AVS, a year ago you'd think that AVRs with Audyssey XT32 were becoming dominant, and Pioneer was a dying brand due to the lack of sub EQ in its MCACC...whether or not the marketplace represents that as "reality" is subjective. Not sure you'd get the same feeling if you were to read, say, Audioholics, one of the BluRay forums, or HTS.

And to keep some perspective, there's really only a handful of us, even among AVSers with Audyssey (consumer, let alone Pro), that have moved "beyond" Audyssey to REW measurement and looking at more intensive treatments and/or complimentary electronic RC (e.g. use with AntiMode or BFD) approaches.

 

Pioneer sell a fraction of the number of AVRs sold by Onkyo (world's biggest AVR manufacturer) and Denon (No 2 I believe).  That will, in itself, mean that MCACC is 'fringe' I bet.

 

I've said before, I doubt if I would buy Pro again - it just  doesn’t represent $750 of value IMO. REW and a cheap PEQ are way better value I reckon. There's nothing Pro can do that REW and a Behringer FBD can't do - for a total outlay of $150 (if you buy the FBD secondhand as I did).  XT32 is so good that Pro doesn't add much IMO. I stress this is my OPINION. :)

post #4694 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
 

 

Yes - it sounded like a reply from someone who couldn't really be bothered to read the question. It was certainly 100% useless.  Good idea to try FB I guess, although Jerry (like me) doesn't do FB. I find the assumption of some companies that everyone does FB or Twitter to be quite irritating and it usually means I don't bother with them.

 

Their response "Unfortunately the only fix for the incorrect sub2 values in loaded measurements is to record the trim and distance settings the first time the measurements are taken" really, really winds me up. No, you idiots at Audyssey - this is not the ONLY fix. There is always the proper fix which is for them to find the damn bug and sort it out!  Clearly, they have no intention of doing that or they would not reply that way.

 

 

Personally, I think this thread is infinitely more use than Audyssey Support, although in this instance we  aren't able to help Jerry with his query (which puts us on a par with the 'Professionals' it seems). I'll bet Jerry figures it out himself before Audyssey support swings into action with a proper response. I think we need to face it: they have given up on Pro.

 

You are correct, Keith.  I had a Facebook account, although I never used it.  I got tired of getting unwanted email alerts from FB, so I deleted my account.  I'm not exactly a Luddite, but I can do without FB and Twitter.

 

I don't think I'll actually figure this one out, but the error I reported doesn't happen that frequently.  And, since no one else reported it, it could well be my hardware that is causing it.  BTW, there is a new caution--when presented with the crossover selection screen, the distance and trim for Sub1 is displayed.  Write it down and you have half the values you need.  Use the sub distance tweak measurements to figure out the values for sub2.  Another kludge work-around...

 

Agreed wrt to FB and Twitter. It just annoys me when companies assume we all want FB and Twitter accounts so I generally don't want to do business with such companies if I can avoid it. No problem with them having FB pages and Twitter accounts, of course - but when that is their sole means of communication with their audience, forget it...

 

I have never really been all that bothered that Pro can’t handle my two subs properly because IME it doesn't handle the splice very well at all anyway (because it never measures the combines mains+subs response). So if I have to manually intervene, as I do, with the sub distance tweak, then the point about Pro's efficacy in that area becomes moot.

post #4695 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I don't follow, Jeff. All the crunching for Pro is done on the laptop. I refuse to believe that a modern laptop cannot crunch for 2 subs. Once crunched, the data is simply transferred to the AVR. I know the AVR can hold the data for two subs, delay and level, because mine does. So where's the problem come in?  The reality is that the data for the second sub is not even on the laptop. That is why it cannot be transferred to the AVR. It isn't there. So whose fault is that?  Audyssey's?  It's a BUG. One they acknowledge but won’t fix.

Does XT32 calibrate the delays and distances for 2 subs correctly? I can't recall as it so long since I have used consumer MultEq. Jerry?

Me: Due to the manufacturers' decision, the AMD file does not store sub trim and distance settings.

You: I refuse to believe that a modern laptop cannot crunch for 2 subs.

Me: DUE TO THE MANUFACTURERS' DECISION, THE AMD FILE DOES NOT STORE SUB TRIM AND DISTANCE SETTINGS.

Jeff
post #4696 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I don't follow, Jeff. All the crunching for Pro is done on the laptop. I refuse to believe that a modern laptop cannot crunch for 2 subs. Once crunched, the data is simply transferred to the AVR. I know the AVR can hold the data for two subs, delay and level, because mine does. So where's the problem come in?  The reality is that the data for the second sub is not even on the laptop. That is why it cannot be transferred to the AVR. It isn't there. So whose fault is that?  Audyssey's?  It's a BUG. One they acknowledge but won’t fix.

Does XT32 calibrate the delays and distances for 2 subs correctly? I can't recall as it so long since I have used consumer MultEq. Jerry?

Me: Due to the manufacturers' decision, the AMD file does not store sub trim and distance settings.

You: I refuse to believe that a modern laptop cannot crunch for 2 subs.

Me: DUE TO THE MANUFACTURERS' DECISION, THE AMD FILE DOES NOT STORE SUB TRIM AND DISTANCE SETTINGS.

Jeff

 

Sorry Jeff but this makes no sense to me. What has the AVR manufacturer got to do with the Audyssey software on my laptop?  The Audyssey software does not compute the delay and distance for the second sub. How on earth can this be laid at the door of the AVR manufacturer?

 

Even if this was correct, Audyssey could compute the data, using the laptop, and present the result for sub 2 and we could enter it manually if, for some unknown reason, the AVR manufacturer has decided not to allow second sub data to be transferred.

 

It isn’t in any way shape or form credible to me that this can be a fault of the AVR manufacturer. It makes no sense. Nor does the idea that Onkyo and Denon both, in this vision of the universe, have decided to disallow the storing of 2nd sub data, even though they otherwise make provision for the use of dual subs.

 

EDIT: Given that the AVRs are perfectly capable of storing the data for 2 subs (they do), what possible scenario can you envisage for the AVR manufacturer to make the decision that Audyssey can store all the other parameters in their data file, except for the data relating to the second sub?

 

Whatever the scenario, it still makes no sense because the inability to compute the data in the first place is the issue, not how it is or isn't transferred to the AVR from the laptop. As I said before: the data is not even on the laptop.


Edited by kbarnes701 - 9/16/13 at 10:33am
post #4697 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Sorry Jeff but this makes no sense to me. What has the AVR manufacturer got to do with the Audyssey software on my laptop?  The Audyssey software does not compute the delay and distance for the second sub. How on earth can this be laid at the door of the AVR manufacturer?

Even if this was correct, Audyssey could compute the data, using the laptop, and present the result for sub 2 and we could enter it manually if, for some unknown reason, the AVR manufacturer has decided not to allow second sub data to be transferred.

It isn’t in any way shape or form credible to me that this can be a fault of the AVR manufacturer. It makes no sense. Nor does the idea that Onkyo and Denon both, in this vision of the universe, have decided to disallow the storing of 2nd sub data, even though they otherwise make provision for the use of dual subs.

"We have bumped into situations before where Audyssey's relationship with their licensees "complicated" Chris' freedom to explain certain things. And, of course, he couldn't explain further why he ... couldn't explain further. I think this sub distance/level settings not being saved in AMD files might be one of those situations."

I have nothing else on this. I accept Chris' explanation, such as it was, that he was not at liberty to say any more out of respect for the relationship with their licensees. And I do not care to read the tea leaves, throw out some chicken bones or gaze into a bowl of entrails for further meaning. I would see what I already see and you would see what you already see.

Jeff
post #4698 of 5250
Thread Starter 

I think there's a few factors that may be at work irt what's happening (or not happening) on the thread. It seems  to me that few folks post here with problems anymore because almost all problems are with initial setup and solutions have been posted.  Keith's FAQ is a treasure trove of info.    

 

As to whether Pro's popularity (if one can use the term for such a niche product) is waning, it's pretty hard to judge by this thread.  After all, I started this thread because the prior Pro thread had died and I didn't realize we could revive it. 

 

Another factor is that XT32, unlike XT,  is so darn good that it is necessary and sufficient for the huge majority of folks in and of itself to achieve great SQ. For ex., over recent months, several of us Pro owners have encouraged current XT owners who posted inquiries about Pro to instead buy a new AVP with XT32.

 

Of course another factor is price vs value-added.  At $700 the Pro kit buy-in is a fairly pricey add-on to a $2-3.5K XT-32-equipped AVP.  Pro's specific value-added feature set obviously does not have broad appeal at that price.  For ex., not everyone wants to tweak the curves and/or eliminate MRC and many AVPs (Denon/Marantz) have built-in capability to save and reload multiple custom calibrations independent of Pro.

 

Some sophisticated users like Keith and AJ have found other gear, tweaking techniques and acoustic room treatments to be very useful.  At that level of sophistication Pro's contribution to overall SQ may well appear to be less, and its shortcomings appear to loom larger. 

 

However, as I've pointed out before, very few users sell their kit-and IIRC those are usually folks who are abandoning Audyssey, and perhaps DSP RC, altogether.


Edited by SoundofMind - 9/16/13 at 10:42am
post #4699 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Sorry Jeff but this makes no sense to me. What has the AVR manufacturer got to do with the Audyssey software on my laptop?  The Audyssey software does not compute the delay and distance for the second sub. How on earth can this be laid at the door of the AVR manufacturer?

Even if this was correct, Audyssey could compute the data, using the laptop, and present the result for sub 2 and we could enter it manually if, for some unknown reason, the AVR manufacturer has decided not to allow second sub data to be transferred.

It isn’t in any way shape or form credible to me that this can be a fault of the AVR manufacturer. It makes no sense. Nor does the idea that Onkyo and Denon both, in this vision of the universe, have decided to disallow the storing of 2nd sub data, even though they otherwise make provision for the use of dual subs.

"We have bumped into situations before where Audyssey's relationship with their licensees "complicated" Chris' freedom to explain certain things. And, of course, he couldn't explain further why he ... couldn't explain further. I think this sub distance/level settings not being saved in AMD files might be one of those situations."

 

 

You keep missing my point, Jeff. The issue is that Audyssey does not compute the data for Sub 2 in the first place. That can only be Audyssey's problem. Forget how the data gets to the AVR - it isn't there to start with!  It cannot have anything at all to do with the AVR manufacturer that data for Sub 2 distance and level is not even calculated. It's a BUG!

 

Quote:
 I have nothing else on this. I accept Chris' explanation, such as it was, that he was not at liberty to say any more out of respect for the relationship with their licensees. And I do not care to read the tea leaves, throw out some chicken bones or gaze into a bowl of entrails for further meaning. I would see what I already see and you would see what you already see.

Jeff

 

Fair enough. You are more accepting of the explanation than I am, and I can see no flaw in my own logic. To me, the explanation is bogus.

post #4700 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

You keep missing my point, Jeff. The issue is that Audyssey does not compute the data for Sub 2 in the first place. That can only be Audyssey's problem. Forget how the data gets to the AVR - it isn't there to start with!  It cannot have anything at all to do with the AVR manufacturer that data for Sub 2 distance and level is not even calculated. It's a BUG!
I am missing nothing. It computes it when a calibration is first made. It just doesn't STORE it in the AMD file.

Quote:
Fair enough. You are more accepting of the explanation than I am, and I can see no flaw in my own logic. To me, the explanation is bogus.

After I get me a Doctorate degree in electronics and develop a room correction technology, I will be better able to assess the veracity of Chris' explanation. tongue.gif

Jeff
post #4701 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post


Does XT32 calibrate the delays and distances for 2 subs correctly? I can't recall as it so long since I have used consumer MultEq. Jerry?

Sorry for the delayed response. I was off enjoying my life...

Having done a consumer calibration lately, I can confirm that the distance and trim settings were consistent with what I have been seeing with Pro, I.e. they were correct.

IMO, this argument is pointless. I don't think we are going to see any fixes or enhancements to the Pro kit, other than tweaks to support new hardware as it comes out. Heck, if you go to the installer web site and click on the Tech Support link, you get a "Page not found" error. I tried it today. How is that for a subtle message?
post #4702 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Sorry for the delayed response. I was off enjoying my life...

Having done a consumer calibration lately, I can confirm that the distance and trim settings were consistent with what I have been seeing with Pro, I.e. they were correct.

IMO, this argument is pointless. I don't think we are going to see any fixes or enhancements to the Pro kit, other than tweaks to support new hardware as it comes out. Heck, if you go to the installer web site and click on the Tech Support link, you get a "Page not found" error. I tried it today. How is that for a subtle message?

Actually, there's a kind of internal logic to the multiple subwoofer "bug". Not brilliant logic, but logic nonetheless.

If you think of Pro as a sophisticated add-on to consumer Audyssey in the hands of custom installers (who, to be sure, were the intended user base for Pro rather than us AVS audiophiles), the thinking may have been that the installer would first run a consumer calibration - or at least write down settings from an existing one - before running Pro. That way they could "compare and contrast" consumer vs. Pro for their client.

In that context, simply noting the distance and trim as Jerry has from a three-position consumer run should be enough.

It's obviously convoluted logic, but it's as good an explanation as any.

FWIW I checked the Installer page as well, and he's right. But at least I could still generate a new key tongue.gif...never thought I'd say this, but Audyssey puts the service that SVS provides with their discontinued AVS-EQ1, or that Curt Hoyt provides for the Sherwood R-972's Trinnov users in a new perspective.


Off for baby religious stuff (the eight-day kind, for those of you that know of such things)...I won't say play nice. But speaking of Trinnov, it's, um, bris will be coming later this week LOL.
post #4703 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

You keep missing my point, Jeff. The issue is that Audyssey does not compute the data for Sub 2 in the first place. That can only be Audyssey's problem. Forget how the data gets to the AVR - it isn't there to start with!  It cannot have anything at all to do with the AVR manufacturer that data for Sub 2 distance and level is not even calculated. It's a BUG!
I am missing nothing. It computes it when a calibration is first made. It just doesn't STORE it in the AMD file.
 
 

 

So your contention is the Audyssey software computes the data for Sub 2, but then keeps it from us because the AVR manufacturers told them to?  Do you think that is a credible position?

 

 

post #4704 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post


Does XT32 calibrate the delays and distances for 2 subs correctly? I can't recall as it so long since I have used consumer MultEq. Jerry?

Sorry for the delayed response. I was off enjoying my life...

Having done a consumer calibration lately, I can confirm that the distance and trim settings were consistent with what I have been seeing with Pro, I.e. they were correct.

IMO, this argument is pointless. I don't think we are going to see any fixes or enhancements to the Pro kit, other than tweaks to support new hardware as it comes out. Heck, if you go to the installer web site and click on the Tech Support link, you get a "Page not found" error. I tried it today. How is that for a subtle message?

 

LOL. That says it all, Jerry.

post #4705 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
 
 
Off for baby religious stuff (the eight-day kind, for those of you that know of such things)...I won't say play nice. But speaking of Trinnov, it's, um, bris will be coming later this week LOL.

 

I never realised. Mazel tov!  And a belated Shana Tova too.

post #4706 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I never realised. Mazel tov!  And a belated Shana Tova too.

Todah, Keith! Yup, today's the day. Thanks for the wishes. The R-972 isn't getting the moyel (bris guy) though. That's my job haha...
post #4707 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

So your contention is the Audyssey software computes the data for Sub 2, but then keeps it from us because the AVR manufacturers told them to? Do you think that is a credible position?

You seem determined to take my words and massage them so they fit your predetermined anti-Audyssey mindset.

"computes the data, but then selfishly squirrels it away so the world can't see it" (maniacal laugh)

I contend nothing; I have no position. I have been trying to relay Chis' explanation and the context surrounding it.

Jeff
Edited by pepar - 9/17/13 at 7:11am
post #4708 of 5250
Moderator

perhaps time to move on?

tia
post #4709 of 5250
sorry everybody. i am burnt out on this subject and *am* moving on ...

good luck to everyone with unresolved issues.
post #4710 of 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

J- in big hurry to go meet my daughters for lunch - but this is what you need:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audio-technica-at8410a-shock-mount

Will hold Pro mic very nicely. I too hate that thing that Audyssey provides!




This will be in FAQ as soon as I get a round tuit.

K

Perhaps I have a different model pro mic (APM1), as I recently purchased the audio-technical AT8410a clamp and it doesn't even come close (slips right through without even touching) to holding my pro mic (I should have measured the mic to be sure before I bought, but I was being lazy:p) - it does however, work well with my miniDSP umik-1 eek.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1)