or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Nintendo › Wii and the Onkyo TX-SR508
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wii and the Onkyo TX-SR508

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Good morning all...
Hoping someone can help me. I'm having some trouble hooking my wii up to my Onkyo TX-SR508 using the wii component cable. I should also say up front, I want the audio to run through my TV, not surround speakers. So, I have the wii component cables plugged into the compenent video IN 1 (BD/DVD) and then separate component cables out to my Samsung LED. But, when I go to the BD/DVD setting on my receiver (I've assigned it to IN 1) I get no video.

So, that's the first problem. Part 2 of this question is, if I get video working, how do I run the audio so that it works through the TV only? The wii component cables come w/ a cluster of 5 cables - your standard R/G/B video, and an extra red and blue for audio I assume. Not sure where they would go into the receiver and then, I would assume I'd need a red/white out to the TV, as I want wii audio through the TV only? Where would I send it out from?

I know this is not the recommened approach, but I have my reasons for doing it this way.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!
post #2 of 6
Why are you even bothering to connect it to the 508 to begin with?

The 508(even if you do solve the "can't figure out component switching") can't send analog audio to the TV.

Actually it can, but it would take longer to explain that process...and would be a complete waste of component/RCA cables.

Hint, in case you really, really, really want to waste RCA cables...

1. yes you have to connect the red/white...or you'll NEVER get audio.
2. Assign component to VCR/DVR.
3. Hope that the 508 can send audio back out the VCR/DVR out while taking the audio in on the same input. If not assign component to "game" and hope the analog audio will just "go out" the VCR/DVR

Those 3 1/2 steps are explained in your manual of the Wii, TV and 508. Have you read any of the manuals?
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher26 View Post

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Flyfisher26, get a Wii2HDMI.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher26 View Post

Good morning all...
Hoping someone can help me. I'm having some trouble hooking my wii up to my Onkyo TX-SR508 using the wii component cable. I should also say up front, I want the audio to run through my TV, not surround speakers. So, I have the wii component cables plugged into the compenent video IN 1 (BD/DVD) and then separate component cables out to my Samsung LED. But, when I go to the BD/DVD setting on my receiver (I've assigned it to IN 1) I get no video.

You do know the Wii supports PLII right? That means it'll give you pretty decent surround sound when hooked in through the receiver. You're actually limiting the Wii by setting it back to stereo only to the TV. If you are aware of this and have a reason to not use the surrpind system I apologize, I just wanted to make sure you knew you were giving up something more than amplification in this transaction.

Quote:


So, that's the first problem. Part 2 of this question is, if I get video working, how do I run the audio so that it works through the TV only? The wii component cables come w/ a cluster of 5 cables - your standard R/G/B video, and an extra red and blue for audio I assume. Not sure where they would go into the receiver and then, I would assume I'd need a red/white out to the TV, as I want wii audio through the TV only? Where would I send it out from?

The extra for audio should be red and white, not blue in my experience. Likely you have the wrong cables hooked up for video. Maybe you got the wrong red one plugged in? I know every tinme component hasn't worked right for me so far it has been an issue of the wrong cable from the cluster of 5 plugged in due to hurrying or trying to plug what I couldn't see.

As for the routing. I imagine you could send the video to one input, and the audio to a seperate one such as tv/dvd. Play the wii through the main functions of the receiver as normal, "Game" or something, and set Zone 2 to the item you have set for audio. Route the audio out of Zone 2 to the TV over stereo RCA. The video would be the same way you usually do it. The big problem I see here is if your TV can take what is likely an HDMI in and display its video while also playing the audio from an rca in. If you send to your tv via component then it's probably a non-issue.

Good luck.
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
All good suggestions everyone...thanks. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try JChin's suggestion, although I hate to spend the dough.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher26 View Post

All good suggestions everyone...thanks. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try JChin's suggestion, although I hate to spend the dough.

Depend on your tv model (if it support ARC), connect the Wii (video & audio) directly to tv. Then went you want Wii audio to surround speakers have it transfer via HDMI ARC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nintendo
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Nintendo › Wii and the Onkyo TX-SR508