or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › New PS3's will no longer display Blu-Ray HD video over component
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New PS3's will no longer display Blu-Ray HD video over component

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
http://www.shacknews.com/article/692...3-sku-drops-hd

Ridiculous on so many levels.

It looks like all of us with our old HDTV's will also have to rely on old Blu-Ray players. I just hope this doesn't mean that the next generation of consoles (Wii U, etc.) will abandon component video altogether.
post #2 of 20
That stinks. At least there are still HDMI to Component converters out there as a means to bypass that problem.
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffo View Post

That stinks. At least there are still HDMI to Component converters out there as a means to bypass that problem.

Where the heck can I get something like that? I've been needing an hdmi to component converter forever now.
post #4 of 20
Apparently there are still people out there that haven't heard of the Analog Sunset...

http://www.extron.com/company/articl...analogsunsetwp
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/a...ill-only-outp/
http://www.osnews.com/story/22897/20...omponent_Video

And those are just the first three that come up when you google...

Analog Sunset
post #5 of 20
Cassettes, vcr tapes, Svideo, component, dialup, mono audio on tv shows, composite video,etc.

Technology advances and old stuff falls by the wayside.

Its complete but obsolete, tomorrows become yesterday
It was elite and now obsolete
the future day is yesterday.


I hear new lcd and plasma sets have hdmi with no problem.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Where the heck can I get something like that? I've been needing an hdmi to component converter forever now.

Try googling "moome external" or hd fury


But these will set you back more than the ps3 costs so would seem cheaper to buy a used ps3 if the new ones block component
post #7 of 20
^ Or if you know a bit about soldering and electronics, you can make your own. Especially if it's just for movies (720p, 1080i, 480p) See my thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1322574
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by neccrttv View Post

^ Or if you know a bit about soldering and electronics, you can make your own. Especially if it's just for movies (720p, 1080i, 480p) See my thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1322574

Did you say that HDCP should be no problem with that? I admire the ingenuity greatly, but am concerned about what would happen if old HDCP keys are revoked.

Hey, I never said I wanted everything digital.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

Try googling "moome external" or hd fury


But these will set you back more than the ps3 costs so would seem cheaper to buy a used ps3 if the new ones block component

The old ones will block component too once new Blu-ray discs start receiving the Image Constraint Token next year.

HDCP key revokation isn't very likely because the converters share HDCP keys with a ton of LCDs, the last I heard. There would be pandemonium. Besides, the HDCP master key has been leaked. What CRTTV links to is a an internal card from inside Sony televisions so nobody is going to be revoking HDCP keys for that.

Expect 2160p and 4k televisions to come with an HDCP mark II and the process to repeat all over again.
post #10 of 20
HDCP should not be a problem with my home-made DVI/HDMI to Component converter since the UD board in the DA4 chassis in Sony XBR's supported it.
Page 7 of this SM of the XBR's
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/av...0_L5_TM_sm.pdf

But it required a buffer for standard TV's (mentioned in post) since the output had low signal
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

The old ones will block component too once new Blu-ray discs start receiving the Image Constraint Token next year.

HDCP key revokation isn't very likely because the converters share HDCP keys with a ton of LCDs, the last I heard. There would be pandemonium. Besides, the HDCP master key has been leaked. What CRTTV links to is a an internal card from inside Sony televisions so nobody is going to be revoking HDCP keys for that.

Expect 2160p and 4k televisions to come with an HDCP mark II and the process to repeat all over again.

That is going to be something of a downer but do note not all new titles will have the image constraint token bit actually set.

Also do note that there are statements out by Sony that the change won't effect games since they're not AACS protected content... if you can still trust Sony's word on anything anyway.
post #12 of 20
Have not given much thought to component for several years, although I know this was coming .. audio alone is worth the use of HDMI with a PS3 ..

And, don't you need a special set of component cables for use with a PS3 .. ?? I never noticed any R/G/B out's on either of my units .. ??
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post

Cassettes, vcr tapes, Svideo, component, dialup, mono audio on tv shows, composite video,etc.

Technology advances and old stuff falls by the wayside.

Its complete but obsolete, tomorrows become yesterday
It was elite and now obsolete
the future day is yesterday.


I hear new lcd and plasma sets have hdmi with no problem.

The problem is that component isn't going away due to advancing technology, it's being forced out in the name of preventing piracy. Considering that there are lots of hdmi to component converters available, and that it's child's play to make a perfect digital copy of a Blu-ray, it seems pointless to continue with the analog sunset. They aren't even dropping component from the PS3, they're just turning it off for blu-ray.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Have not given much thought to component for several years, although I know this was coming .. audio alone is worth the use of HDMI with a PS3 ..

And, don't you need a special set of component cables for use with a PS3 .. ?? I never noticed any R/G/B out's on either of my units .. ??

The PS3 uses the AV MULTI OUT cable for component video.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

The PS3 uses the AV MULTI OUT cable for component video.

This is an optional item .. ?? Don't think one came with either of my PS3's ..
post #16 of 20
Yes, it was an optional cable. It's worth 15-30 bucks at any electronics store (walmart, etc). But the best about the cable is that it works on the PS2 too so if you have a PS2 and games that won't work on the PS3 (DQ8, etc) it's the best. Also, Gran Turismo 4 was 1080i on the PS2 and this cable is the only way to have it on a HDTV.
What I can say about all this thing about cutting component is that well, if possible, don't let your PS3 or Blu-ray get updates, especially if there not needed (like 98% of the time).
Component is as good as HDMI, except for sound. And for old TV's it's much better. Having a CRT monitor that accepts 1080p through component and not through my HDMi to Component converter I can tell you that I won't be updating my things if component will be cut.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by neccrttv View Post

Yes, it was an optional cable. It's worth 15-30 bucks at any electronics store (walmart, etc). But the best about the cable is that it works on the PS2 too so if you have a PS2 and games that won't work on the PS3 (DQ8, etc) it's the best. Also, Gran Turismo 4 was 1080i on the PS2 and this cable is the only way to have it on a HDTV.
What I can say about all this thing about cutting component is that well, if possible, don't let your PS3 or Blu-ray get updates, especially if there not needed (like 98% of the time).
Component is as good as HDMI, except for sound. And for old TV's it's much better. Having a CRT monitor that accepts 1080p through component and not through my HDMi to Component converter I can tell you that I won't be updating my things if component will be cut.

They won't cripple existing players through a firmware update. You can find this info by looking up more details about analog sunset. What you could see in the future though is discs that come with the image constraint token in play. The individual discs themselves with an ICT flag will output 480i SD in pre-analog sunset players. Firmware will have nothing to do with it. Updating won't matter.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by neccrttv View Post

the best about the cable is that it works on the PS2 too

I have the Sony PS2 component cables. Are you suggesting they should also work on the PS3? Hmm, that could help me in selling this thing.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Are you suggesting they should also work on the PS3?

Pretty sure it will work since it's the same AV multi out connector. And I have to say that it really makes a difference over composite if you have a TV with lots of precision. Believe me, i know.
post #20 of 20
When I bought my PS3, I used the component cable setup from my PS2 and it worked just fine in the PS3.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › New PS3's will no longer display Blu-Ray HD video over component