or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › DLA-X7 - 3D problems with Comcast Cable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DLA-X7 - 3D problems with Comcast Cable

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I recently completed an install of the X7 and was extremely pleased with the results after an ISF calibration. I connected an Oppo BDP through a Denon AVR and was able to get 3D content visible without any additional configuration. I am not having any luck with Comcast Cable. (Metro Atlanta) The two stations that we get either show top/bot or side/side. There aren't any settings inside the projector to turn 3D on/off; it just adjusts when it senses a 3D signal. I bypassed the AVR entirely and connected the cable box directly to the projector. Still no luck. I changed resolutions from 1080i to 720p and no luck. JVC tech support wasn't very helpful at all, and my sales rep mentioned to me some incompatibility issues with the way the 3D source material is encoded. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Has anyone had any luck with Comcast Cable (motorola DVR) and the X7/60U ?

Thanks!
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebn View Post
I recently completed an install of the X7 and was extremely pleased with the results after an ISF calibration. I connected an Oppo BDP through a Denon AVR and was able to get 3D content visible without any additional configuration. I am not having any luck with Comcast Cable. (Metro Atlanta) The two stations that we get either show top/bot or side/side. There aren't any settings inside the projector to turn 3D on/off; it just adjusts when it senses a 3D signal. I bypassed the AVR entirely and connected the cable box directly to the projector. Still no luck. I changed resolutions from 1080i to 720p and no luck. JVC tech support wasn't very helpful at all, and my sales rep mentioned to me some incompatibility issues with the way the 3D source material is encoded. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Has anyone had any luck with Comcast Cable (motorola DVR) and the X7/60U ?

Thanks!
There is a setting on the JVC X7 to manaully select the side-by-side and top/bottom 3D formats. True HDMI 1.4a video sources (which current cable TV boxes are not) can include info in the HDMI exchange to tell the projector when side-by-side and top/bottom formats are being used. The JVC menu to manually set the 3D mode is under the input signal >> HDMI >> 3D Format. See page 41 of the JVC owner's manual (at least the English language version) an also more details at the top of page 52 (at the end of section 2-1 on the projector's menus).
post #3 of 9
To clarify, if the signal includes a code sending the type of 3D format, the projector will switch to that format automatically if set to 3D auto. If the code is lacking in the signal being broadcast, the projector will not know what to switch to and you will have to tell the projector what to switch to by leaving the auto selection and switching to the format being sent.
post #4 of 9
I thought the JVC didn't work with over/under like with 3D ESPN.
post #5 of 9
ESPN 3D by DTV is 720p side by side, which is non conforming with the 3D standard, The new Sony projectors have included it despite its non conformance. The Lumagen Radiances will covert 720p side by side to a conforming standard.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

I thought the JVC didn't work with over/under like with 3D ESPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

ESPN 3D by DTV is 720p side by side, which is non conforming with the 3D standard, The new Sony projectors have included it despite its non conformance. The Lumagen Radiances will covert 720p side by side to a conforming standard.

Correct as for Directv using the 720p s-b-s which is only an optional format in the HDMI 1.4a standard. However, CableLabs that sets the cable industry standards and certifies cable TV set top boxes, specifically does not support the 720p s-b-s format and ESPN uses 720p top/bottom 3D format for cable TV which is a HDMI 1.4a required 3D format and it is supported by the JVC 3D projectors.
post #7 of 9
You know I forgot that cable ESPN 3D is 720p top and bottom.And I have certain 3D set ups where 720p top and bottom was not handled by the projector regardling of the 3D type setting.
post #8 of 9
I thought Top/bottom was optional and SBS was standard! Like the Monoprice converter that outputs SBS. I figured that was a standard format. SBS I would think looks better than top/bottom when combined.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

I thought Top/bottom was optional and SBS was standard! Like the Monoprice converter that outputs SBS. I figured that was a standard format. SBS I would think looks better than top/bottom when combined.

For 720p top/bottom is the required format and 720p s-b-s is optional. For 1080i s-b-s is a required format. See the Basic 3D Video FAQs thread for the list of HDMI 1.4a required 3D formats.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › DLA-X7 - 3D problems with Comcast Cable